Inferno Monster Levels No Longer Linear, More Fansite Q&A, Bashiok on Runes, Blizzard Facebook

Quote from FistOfZakarum

Quote from Shrieker

Quote from Bogatog
    Fair enough, the amount of gear you'll get in a run through probably won't be sufficient to have a huge impact on the difficulty on a single run through.

I'm still not convinced that the overall level of difficulty in inferno has increased or decreased. All we know is that Acts 3 and 4 are more difficult than 1 and 2 right now. Maybe they tweaked it to be harder and then decided it was too hard for the whole game, but wanted the end to be even more difficult than originally planned.

Personally, I was fine with the static difficulty and was a fan of it as well. But I actually prefer the later acts to be more difficult.

Hopefully you're right about not being sure if the difficulty is increased or decreased.
    Sorry for quoting this again but:
    We made Act III and Act IV really, really brutally hard, for the most elite players only. It felt wrong to make ALL of Inferno that brutally hard.

The "that" does in my opinion confirm that the other acts was as hard as the last act is now, but they've been decreased.

This is stupid logic. They never said a decrease, all I read is that they made Acts 3 and 4 now BRUTALLY hard. AKA, they wanted to increase the difficulty even more to give a ladder effect on the progressing acts difficulty.

Let's remember. All monster in inferno are 61+. How would they lower the monster level in acts 1 to make it harder than hell if they had to go to level 60 or lower for inferno. Doesn't make sense.

I approve the change, haters gonna hate.

See you at release lol.

It's not stupid logic, you're seemingly just incapable of reading.

There’s a wide variety of players out there and we wanted to make sure everybody had something to sink their teeth into. We expect that anybody with enough time and dedication will reach level 60. But the jump in difficulty to Inferno needed to be different amounts for different people. For the crazy people they need a HUGE ramp in difficulty, for a more “casual but still hardcore” audience you want an obvious but milder increase in difficulty. So for the crazy people who play non-stop they’ll hit Act I and get a challenge, but 1 month later they’ll still have something to work on (Acts II, III and IV). For the “hardcore-casual” they will reach level 60 later and not get brick walled when they reach Inferno. They can experience some “small victories” working on Act I with the dream of maybe someday reaching the later acts."

This clearly states that they're nerfing the earlier acts of Inferno. So the hardcore-casuals (weird fucking term) gets a "milder increase in difficulty" and "doesn't get brick-walled" in Inferno.
    I think the progression is okay for Inferno also. So you would like it to be equal so that when you finish Act 1, you basicly know you can finish the whole game with the same set of gear and skills? Im totally cool with the progressive playstyle, thats part of diablo. Anyhow there will be plenty of farming to do :) And will definitely vary alot more than we had in D2.
    "If a friend has joined your game, how do you kick them out?"

Somehow this question made me laugh. Trying to picture situations where a friend joins your game and the first thing that crosses your mind is "how can I kick him out?".
    Anyone else understand him something like this?
    Incoming pro paint skills.

I think this is the best news I've heard in a long time. Even if it's not like I think it is, with a flat difficulty curve the whole of inferno would be Too easy, just right or too hard. This way you can at least find your sweet spot. Personally I often play for hours just running around doing stupid stuff without much thought and then I go do something stupid hard to challenge myself. I'd like the option of running around in act 1 while still getting decent loot. Then later hitting Act 4 for some serious play with serious loot.

Think it's pretty selfish to demand all of inferno suit you when a lot of people would find it either unplayably hard or worst of all, the entire inferno difficulty being too easy.
    It is not d2 or any other game it is not anymore just casual-retrads-hardcores difficult thing!!
    Why ? Just because of the real money ah thing...
    If goes wow casual free loot thing then RMAH gonna fail easy gear=low prices= lower change for someone putt item after the 10 free auctions per week = lower money for blizz
    It is just balance thing, they need hard so less ppl have best gear so retrads need to spent money to get the loot they just need to balance this so prices for top gear is high for blizz to have profit but not to high so ppl do not by... Again go to wow free loot- kill all easy will kill the RMAH prices and blizz money...
    Yes, that is quite the sophisticated difficulty graph you have there Wolfson. :P
    "Just quit and wait for GW2"
    Since Inferno is the farming Act, I think the difficulty should be the same throughout but you start with all way points. This way, you truly can pick whatever part of the game that you want to farm like they originally intended.
    Why would you only farm Acts 3-4 if the drops in Acts 1-2 are only slightly less powerful and once you're geared enough to beat 3-4 you can farm 1-2 much more quickly? You still have a choice of where to farm, and either you can find the best best bestest loot at a snail's pace, or you find the best best good loot at a spider's trot.
    You shouldn't have the choice of where to farm.

Why?

Because farming is stupid.

Blizzard got the idea that designing anything in the game around such a stupid concept as farming wasn't good.
    Quote from Wolfson

Anyone else understand him something like this?
    Incoming pro paint skills.

I think this is the best news I've heard in a long time. Even if it's not like I think it is, with a flat difficulty curve the whole of inferno would be Too easy, just right or too hard. This way you can at least find your sweet spot. Personally I often play for hours just running around doing stupid stuff without much thought and then I go do something stupid hard to challenge myself. I'd like the option of running around in act 1 while still getting decent loot. Then later hitting Act 4 for some serious play with serious loot.

Think it's pretty selfish to demand all of inferno suit you when a lot of people would find it either unplayably hard or worst of all, the entire inferno difficulty being too easy.

thats actually not a bad paint illustration at all! =P
    Quote from Ocean

Yes, that is quite the sophisticated difficulty graph you have there Wolfson. :P

Thank you, I'm rather proud of it. Then again I'm clearly not normal.

Thought it would convey my thoughts more clearly than ending up with a paragraph no one's going to read. ;)
    Quote from Waldorf
    • This buff does not have a range, if your group kills a pack, and your in town, you will still get the stack,
    *you're

Sorry for being a grammar nazi but I had to make an account to say this. =)

Amen, it's a lost cause though...
    *facepalm*

I blows my mind how this dev team has been learning such basic design lessons as they are making this stupid game. Those guys really thought flat difficulty would work? Were you born yesterday? What another big waste of time. I sometimes think the Blizzard North team knew more about game design than this Irvine team does with 12 years of hindsight. Of course you need difficulty progression. DUH! Blizzard needs to hire Captain obvious on the D3 team or something.

All they need to god-damn do is make the last act an open-ended act with non-linear progression. That's all they need to do. It's so obvious to me and I pointed it out in my gigantic rant post about how I would make this game. Normal difficulty progression up until the last act with a non-linear structure. To bad they were too full of themselves to realize something was wrong a month and as half before release. Such amatuers.
    Some people tell me I'm going to hell. I just let them know that I've already packed my bags!
    Quote from Bogatog

Quote from Alcovitch

WoW.... Very disappointing.

What was wrong with casuals hitting a brick wall in Inferno? Can we even call them Casual players anymore once they've gotten to the point of playing inferno?

Why the decrease in difficulty to hand old people at teh start. Inferno was supposed to be farm where you want and it's all the same difficulty.

Sigh.

Monster tactics/properties alone will create some areas of the game that are just easier than others. No matter what measures Blizzard takes, people will find the path of least resistance to farming drops.

Exactly, the simplicity of the AI in the earlier acts, versus the complex behavior later on, should have been a natural difficulty increase in itself. What I think happened here is that they realized that they couldn't make Act 1 drop the same loot as Act 4, simply because making Act 1 dumb-zombies as hard as Act 4 stuff was too difficult to balance, or probably didn't make any sense once they tried.

I don't think they changed ANYTHING at all in the difficulty as it was till now. Inferno will be exactly as we were supposed to perceive it. What they really did is probably just adjust the drops so that Act 4 is more rewarding than Act 1, period.
    Quote from Wolfson

That's how I *want* to understand it also, but it is hard to tell from the Blue post where the two lines cross. I'm sure Blizz themselves don't know yet where those two lines cross.

I'm not sure if I like the change or not, but I'm leaning towards NO.

I liked the fact that once you mastered the end game you could farm wherever you wanted. Now it will be back to Baal runs, looks like.

They should have made inferno scale with the stats of the player or average of the group. That way, with the better gear you find, the difficulty of inferno increases and the better drops you can get.
    First of all, I don't know what I think about this new difficullty thingy. But I do know that I find it quite fun that some people here say that infero will be to easy, when no one here knows how hard inferno is (unless there is a sneaky hidden blizzard here).
    Their explanation for Inferno difficulty really make sense. I think it's a good idea, and I'm really excited to see that Inferno mode will be so much hard.
    This can't be more awesome!
    I have not been active in the forums but this is totaly worth showing my opinion!
    Im happy that it gets diffucult when you get closer to act 4, I mean why should a zombie have the same strenght as a kickass ultracool spawned minon? Harder makes things more exciting, same as going for a girl with higher value :D
    Quote from Shrieker

Quote from Bogatog

How exactly is this new system more or less casual friendly? And how do you know if I'm casual or hardcore? If the later acts are MORE difficult now than they were before doesn't that make it more hardcore? If its less difficult, then I suppose that makes it more casual. Even though I seriously doubt any "casual" player will make it to inferno in the foreseeable future.

Also, you didn't really address the idea that every piece of loot you attain will make it easier, so with the old system the game is actually getting easier as you progress. You said you wouldn't take time out to farm, but you're still going to improve your gear.

The new system is ofcourse more casual friendly since it DECREASED the difficulty of Inferno, probably by alot.
    We made Act III and Act IV really, really brutally hard, for the most elite players only. It felt wrong to make ALL of Inferno that brutally hard.

So they aren't more difficult.

And I did address the idea that you will attain loot while going through Inferno, even if you don't stay to farm.
    Yes, you will get gear so the later Acts will most likely be easier than the first one. BUT since you didn't stay to farm you will not "outgear" the content, not even closely, so it does not matter at all. For a player who just wants to enjoy farming and having fun in a difficult game, I couldn't care the slightest bit that Diablo will be a tiny bit easier than some boss in an earlier act, you had 3 difficulties to enjoy that, instead you would have been able to enjoy a whole difficulty being hard!

The lines you quoted state for me that the later acts got harder. He said that it felt wrong to make ALL inferno that hard; so it tells me that they would not have made act 1 & 2 that hard if they have a flat difficulty. They would instead made it easier!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes