ActivisionBlizzard WebCast Analyst Day

GAH!!! A company trying to make money?!!!

And the heavens shall tremble.

Seriously, where is this conversation going. If it is the same ol' Blizzard is a corrupt money monger, we can stop that now. If you would like to continue about the conference today, please fell free to continue.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

Quote from Deventh

They will still win from it, no ? So that is indeed milking.

The drinks at a bar have surplus charge compared to the ones you buy from a supermarket. I guess you should never visit a bar.
    Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the news team.
    Quote from ScyberDragon

The cash out feature is a supplementary feature.

Not for the tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of chinese that will spend all day farming it or the tens of thousands of slavics that will spend all day hacking it. It will be a job. Hopefully a fun one.
    Quote from Doomscream

Quote from Deventh

They will still win from it, no ? So that is indeed milking.

The drinks at a bar have surplus charge compared to the ones you buy from a supermarket. I guess you should never visit a bar.

I guess the "bar drinks" must mean Activision & Blizzard games and the "supermarket" all the other.
    "Blizzard will collect a separate “cash-out” fee."

sep·a·rate
      1. to keep apart or divide, as by an intervening barrier or space: to separate two fields by a fence.

This is what I understand:

1. Flat fee for item listing.
    2. Flat transaction fee from sale of item.
    3a. Money goes to you battle.net account.
    3b. You choose to "cash-out" in which case Blizzard takes a separate percentage fee and money is deposited into the 3rd party account.
    4. The percentage cash-out fee is to discourage cashing out so that battle.net funds remain in the closed loop system allowing for higher volume of sales from the AH / Blizz store. Meaning the more money they make you keep in the closed loop the more money they make.

We DO NOT know:

1. What the flat fees or the percentage cash-out fee will be.
    2. If the 3rd party company for cashing out will even charge another fee. For all we know in the deal between Blizzard and them, Blizzard may pay the 3rd party site a fee for each cash-out. Think debit / credit card transactions. The bank charges x company a processing fee y volume of transactions.

Just my .02
    so nothing new here ?
    no, not really.
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/pardo-auction-house-users-unlikely-to-play-the-market
    If you don't care about RMAH details, nothing new.

The "September '11 beta" graphic was new, in that it didn't have a 'targeting' qualifier, so sort of puts them on the spot with investors. That surprised me, though it could have been a slip-up.

Tippler was more Ahnietastic than ever. But that isn't really new.
    I think generally the 3rd party sites want to encourage you to deposit so they don't take any fee for deposits, only for withdrawals. That being the case, any fees taken for cashing out after selling in the RMAH will go to blizzard and not the 3rd party site.
    Of course, effectively the 3rd party site will be getting their fee aswell, because once your money is there, it's a matter of time before you withdraw/use it and they get their fee than. So they don't take a fee from the deposit after the RMAH sale, but they effectively earn the future fee from cashing out of their site.

Also, from hearing pardo in the video it sounds to me that he does in fact mean the % fee will go to blizzard.

Btw, all that is said just to clarify things as I understand them, and not to go against or criticize blizzard. As a matter of fact I don't have a problem with them taking this fee, it's the logical move for a business company to make and I agree with them for doing it.
    It will depend on the %. If it's 5%, it won't be a big deal. 10% would be ok. 15%+ would be a little worse and so on.

Wait till they officially announce it, I say.

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    The arguments in this thread remind me of the ones we had on sc2mapster about the map marketplace.

There's a large group of people really not happy about money getting involved in Blizz games (after the initial purchase or subscription). But to me, it's Blizz staying in the 'game' and pleasing investors while still being very good to its fan base (WE can make money on the RMAH and WE can make money on the map marketplace).

"if Blizzard doesn’t provide it someone else will."
    SC2 Editor Tutorials: OnetwoSC
    D3 Channel: OnetwoD3
    Blizzard (this means Jay Wilson, Bashiok, and all the rest) have confirmed that the fee taken during the transaction will be FLAT. Trust me, Blizzard is not stupid enough to take a percentage. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Please listen to this:

Start at 2:00. "We don't take a percentage of the cut." Period.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtYtqjoT6ys
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
    It all sounded good up until the % based charge for cash-out came out of his mouth -.- (This came from the second part of the video on Force's youtube)
    Edit: The one Doom just post
    |
    |
    V

What I want to know though, is can you buy/sell hardcore characters? There was something else but I forgot what it was... >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxmP1vZww8w&feature=feedu
    One more time: The fee to post and buy an item will be flat. This is to discourage spam while still encouraging volume. The rake when you cash out will be a %, exclusive of any paypall-type fee. TWO DIFFERENT FEES. One structured as an incentive, one as a disincentive (sorta kinda).

Rob goes over this from about 10:00 on in doom's post above.
    The phrase in question is at 14:04 - thanks for being man enough to document your error, doom, there is hope.
    Rob Pardo completely misspoke I believe. He's in a room full of a lot of people who matter.

They're not just going to suddenly after Gamescom do a complete 180 on the matter. That is not the way Blizzard does business.
    "All generalizations are false, including this one." -Mark Twain
    good shit

Thanks Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    No, I do believe that Blizzard will be taking a % for cashing out. But this does not matter to me as it will not affect my interaction with the RMAH

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes