Portals Still In?

Quote from Gheed2010

Quote from Lethal_Weapon

yes, they have replaced potions with health globes that will drop randomly from monsters as you kill them; thus, preventing the need to go back to town to stock up...

I wouldn't be so sure about that after the news on TPs.

News Flash: Potions are in.
    But they have a CD.
    D3 portals willl be different from D2 portals, Jay said that they do not want a cheap escaping tool that actually removes almost any challenge from the game. A major reason for their return imo is to introduce a sort of "pause button/option", it's nice to open a TP to town and then go AFK, instead of just standing in a presumably cleared out are of a dungeon, or to just leave the room before you can attend some real life stuff.
    Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the news team.
    I'm quite interested of this, hopefully it's a long CD on portals and only one-way.
    Right, doomscream, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if the health globes were out soon. Bliz likes to cultivate the image of independent designers and leads, but the reality is that they'll make changes from the top when they want to, and everyone on the team is disposable.
    Quote from Gheed2010

Right, doomscream, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if the health globes were out soon. Bliz likes to cultivate the image of independent designers and leads, but the reality is that they'll make changes from the top when they want to, and everyone on the team is disposable.

I see what you mean, but I doubt that, although we have seen them scrap other features (or even games). They seemed really happy with how the health globes improved the gameplay since the announcement of D3. I believe that this will be the last feature they will leave out.
    Quote from Doomscream

... Jay said that they do not want a cheap escaping tool and actually removes almost any challenge from the game.

... it's nice to open a TP and then go AFK, istead of just standing in a presumably cleared out are of a dungeon,

Unfortunately without some restrictions, this is basically the same mechanic.

After reading Bashiok's post, here's how I see portals being implemented: one way trip to town, only castable out of combat.
    Come and help our Diablowiki grow! Here's how you can contribute
    Quote from Doomscream

I see what you mean, but I doubt that, although we have seen them scrap other features (or even games). They seemed really happy with how the health globes improved the gameplay since the announcement of D3. I believe that this will be the last feature they will leave out.

This. I'd be willing to make a bet that health globes are here to stay. After all, they're working splendid.

The potion chug did not.
    Quote from Apoc

Quote from Doomscream

... Jay said that they do not want a cheap escaping tool and actually removes almost any challenge from the game.

... it's nice to open a TP and then go AFK, istead of just standing in a presumably cleared out are of a dungeon,

Unfortunately without some restrictions, this is basically the same mechanic.

After reading Bashiok's post, here's how I see portals being implemented: one way trip to town, only castable out of combat.

The one-way trip part is about the way other players use to quickly join you on the battlefield.

As for town portals he stated that we won't be able to use them "anywhere anytime as much as we want" and here the speculations of various restrictions begin. I am voting with both hands for TPs only usable out of combat and closing automatically when you engage some monsters. The thing I was talking about is, that it's better to go AFK in a town AFTER you are out of combat, but it just feels better because you can make use of some merchants, to reapir your gear or to just listen to what an NPC has to say about a certain quest. Do not forget that if you go AFK in the wilderness some random party member can drag some mobs to you to kill you while you are AFK. I don't recall going AFK, especially in MP, while out of town... it even became a habit of mine for single player too.
    Quote from Astion

Quote from spaceninja123

why dont they just put some magic npc guy in the town that opens 1 way portals to your friends for some money fee

and in order to get to them u must already have that part of the map explored

They have a 1-way mechanic in game to port you to your friends. (blue on frontpage)

The 2nd part would be pretty bad, that would mean that someone ALWAYS has to wait for their friends to catch up.
    Player A plays for 5 min, Player B joins the game. Player A now as to wait 5 minutes for his friend to catch up. But yeah, it probably won't work throughout different acts if thats what you meant.

what if player A uses the tp to go to player B and helps him to catch up
    Quote from Doomscream

The one-way trip part is about the way other players use to quickly join you on the battlefield.

Yes he mentioned that later in his post, but what I'm saying is it will be one-way to town if you're playing solo, and if you are playing co-op your friends can offer you a one-way back.
    Quote from Apoc

Quote from Doomscream

Yes he mentioned that later in his post, but what I'm saying is it will be one-way to town if you're playing solo, and if you are playing co-op your friends can offer you a one-way back.

??? I am confused.
    Let me see if I understand what you mean.
    I join a game, and a portal pops up to the place where the other party member is, upon entering through it, it gets closed. Yes? That's one-way.

But if you mean that the TPs, which I manually open up, when there are no people joining the game, will be just one-way, I don't agree with that. I believe it will be like in D2 in the way they offer a trip to town and then close when you go back to the position where you have opened them in the first place. After all there will be no point in getting a one-way trip to town and then having to use a waypoint and run back to where you opened the TP...
    You really can't gimp portals (outside of limiting them in boss rooms, Torchlight-style, which just means people leave them outside the door). Any one of the solutions will just frustrate casual players.

I think d3 was being designed for more advanced players, and now management is dialing that back and making it more casual-friendly. Not that much more to it.
    Quote from Doomscream

??? I am confused.

But if you mean that the TPs, which I manually open up, when there are no people joining the game, will be just one-way, I don't agree with that.

I would accept walking back from the waypoint as a resonable penalty for escaping or dying in a fight. Add respawns to that too if they want. If you have the ability to return right where you left off fully replenished and restocked with potions doesn't that trivialize the encounter?
    I have been really happy with no potions and no TPs. I can wait til the next waypoint before i go back to town. And they are placed even closer in D3 than in D2 according to Blizzard. That would create a greater challenge and far more satisfaction and action cooldown when you get to town.

But if I need to go AFK, it would be a pain.
    To Game is Necessary
    Quote from Apoc

Quote from Doomscream

??? I am confused.

But if you mean that the TPs, which I manually open up, when there are no people joining the game, will be just one-way, I don't agree with that.

I would accept walking back from the waypoint as a resonable penalty for escaping or dying in a fight. Add respawns to that too if they want. If you have the ability to return right where you left off fully replenished and restocked with potions doesn't that trivialize the encounter?

You certainly didn't catch my drift on the whole issue.
    The thing is that these are two separate mechanics.
    The one let's other players join you in a fight easily.
    The other (TPs) is for going back to town to repair, sell items, talk to some NPC or just go AFK without any worries.

I never even mention something about town portals being used for escaping danger during an intense fight. I am strongly against that. Obviously some restrictions are implemented, we didn't get anything specific so we are all here to speculate.
    I will make a short list:
    - Not castable while in combat.
    - Not castable in certain areas.
    - If you happen to open a TP and then engage in combat it will close or you will not be allowed to enter it while still in combat.
    - A reasonable CD.
    Yay for portals! (and possibly secret unicorn levels ;))
    I'd think you wouldn't open a portal, you would just teleport back to town (via a magical stone or something). It would be uncastable during combat, and it would interrupt itself if you take damage.
    I agree with the big CD and cannot cast TP when combat, but another big issue with portal as I said already is the rush.

If you still able to rush some low lvl through act 1 with TP to the '' main '' waypoint then you kill the game IMO. When they annonced that they removed the TP, that kind of rush wasn't possible, but now they open a door to exploit the TP again depending of the restrictions.
    Quote from Don_guillotine

Intrigued as well.

TPs will probably need following restrictions:

• usable by the original caster only (or level limits or an other way to prevent rushing)
    • cooldown
    • not usable in combat

I agree with you exactly, I was thinking of possibly a hearthstone type deal or a spell.
    Sometimes you don't always know where you stand... until you know that you won't run away.
    I don't think it should have a cool down though. Especially since that would probably just lead to it being unused in favor of just waiting for a waypoint.

DiabloFans: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Live Chat
    I think as long as you cant use the town portals in combat the mechanic should be fine.
    If you are worried about rushing, blizzard should make some sort of exp restrictions.

Example: If a level 45 groups with a level 15, don't let the 15 get exp unless he is responsible for the majority of the damage on the kill.

This is just an example and might not work but I don't think that town portals should be responsible for fixing rushing.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes