DiabloCast: Episode IX - Stop Following Me

'lo all you awesome DiabloFans who enjoy these podcasts, here's the ninth episode of our DiabloCast. This week was all about the upcoming Beta and the Followers System. Keep in mind, all of our speculation on the Followers System was done solely through the leaked video and before the actual announcement. We'll be covering the Followers System again in next weeks episode. If you missed the eighth episode, you can check it out here. Otherwise, the eighth episode covered the following topics:

The Chat Gem Lives!
    Diablo III Analyst
    SC2Mapster
    I'll have to wait until I have an hour free to listen to this. :P
    Awesome, I was not sure if you guys would do a podcast this week since we had that live special podcast a few days ago. Woot! cant wait to listen.
    Want the Key to Eternal Life?
    http://www.cipherwire.net/eternal_life.html
    YOU CANNOT control followers, and when they die, they just passout for a certain period of time then revive by their own (you dont have to go to town to revive them), they never really die...and also they level up even if you dont take them with you to battle.
    so you dont have to make them XP in lower level areas.
    also that lvl 25 item is just a unique follower class item you can equip ur followers.

source:

Will you be able to control the followers?
    No, we've avoided pet and follower commands as they added unnecessary micromanagement to the game.

What happens when your follower dies?
    When your follower loses too much health, they will go out of commission for a brief period of time. When they are out of commission, you'll lose their benefits temporarily, and then they'll rejoin the battle with you. You won't need to go back to town to have them rejoin you.

How can you customize your followers?
    Each follower will have 12 total skills, and players will have to choose which 4 skills from that pool to use, with new skills unlocking at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20. Players will also be able to equip various items to their followers -- there are two weapon slots, rings, amulets, and a unique class item available for each one. As followers level up, they’ll also advance visually, becoming more powerful looking.

How do you level up a follower?
    We don't consider the level up process for followers to be part of what you do with them. The followers will stay within your level range whether you quest with them or not. We don't want you to have to go back to a low-level area to let your followers catch up to your level .

link = http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/followers.xml
    Quote from popo_joe

like said here:
    YOU CANNOT control followers, and when they die, they just passout for a certain period of time then revive by their own (dont dont have to go to town to revive them), they never really die...and also they level up even if you dont take them with you toi battle.
    also that lvl 25 item is just a unique item you can equip ur followers, maybe some kinda special follower item or something.

you were right man, that guy is a dick saying that you can control followers.

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/followers.xml

Hey!

How's it going? If you would take a moment to really listen to the podcast, you would realize that this was recorded prior to any information being known about the followers. The only thing we had to work with was the leaked video. In fact I do believe I said at least 2-3 times that this was the case and much of our discussion was speculation!

Thanks much for listening, hope I have cleared up your confusion about our discussion.

Cheers,
    Force
    Diablo 3 Videos & PvP Commentary
    http://www.youtube.c...orceSC2strategy
    Quote from Force

Quote from popo_joe

like said here:
    YOU CANNOT control followers, and when they die, they just passout for a certain period of time then revive by their own (dont dont have to go to town to revive them), they never really die...and also they level up even if you dont take them with you toi battle.
    also that lvl 25 item is just a unique item you can equip ur followers, maybe some kinda special follower item or something.

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/systems/followers.xml

Hey!

How's it going? If you would take a moment to really listen to the podcast, you would realize that this was recorded prior to any information being known about the followers. The only thing we had to work with was the leaked video. In fact I do believe I said at least 2-3 times that this was the case and much of our discussion was speculation!

Thanks much for listening, hope I have cleared up your confusion about our discussion.

Cheers,
    Force

nah after hearing the whole thing again, i think i just misheard he actually said that you CANT control them, sorry :)

i used speakers not headphones the sound was horrible, i guess this explains that.

my bad.

if you wanna hear the part it was at : 35:12

he said we already know that you cant control them.
    It looks like you guys were a little too "on the ball" since Blizzard released more details about the followers just a few hours later. :) I look forward to listening to the next one to hear your guys' updated comments.
    Slash 'n Blast - RPG Character Builds & Analysis
    It's hard to get those three online at the same time. :P We'll definitely hear the updated versions in the next podcast.
    Yeah, we pretty much have to record these on Thursdays. Since all of the info was out on Friday, there was really nothing we could do. But we did not want to ignore the video released early completely. We will definitely being discussing the idea in more detail next week.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

Oh Scyber, you celebrity you.
    It made me sad listening to this. You guys sounded so excited about followers. I was too. Until Blizzard dropped the bombshell. :(
    is it just me or? I feel like followers system is really dumbed down, even though we get to pick their items and skills, it sounds more like an NPC following you than a minion.
    Great podcast - Can't wait for next weeks one!
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."
    Twitter: @FreddyBushBoy
    Quote from Mazuli

It made me sad listening to this. You guys sounded so excited about followers. I was too. Until Blizzard dropped the bombshell. :(

Tell me about it, :(.
    The Chat Gem Lives!
    Diablo III Analyst
    SC2Mapster
    I'm still excited for them. But, you'll have to wait for next week to hear why :P

Quote from popo_joe

is it just me or? I feel like followers system is really dumbed down, even though we get to pick their items and skills, it sounds more like an NPC following you than a minion.

Dumbed down compared to what? Compared to the hirelings they're pretty fleshed out.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the news team.
    DiabloFans: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Live Chat
    Oh noze, it's spreading into this thread to. Procontafolloweritist has become a thread-borne disease.

What's wrong with the Follower system? It all seems perfectly fine to me.
    I wonder if Blizzard is going to make these followers into a HUGE money sink. It would be interesting to see them have a timed price. Maybe you pay X amount of gold for 24 hour use or maybe 2 hours of gameplay. Just a thought, but this could make it on one hand a GREAT help to the player if they are really powerful yet at the same time you are paying for it out of your own pocket and not until they die but on a timed limit. Just some random thoughts
    Want the Key to Eternal Life?
    http://www.cipherwire.net/eternal_life.html
    I'm pretty excited to hear how you 3 feel about them - is that some despair I'm sensing from you, Sixen?
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."
    Twitter: @FreddyBushBoy
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes