DiabloCast: Episode III

Heyo everyone, here's the third episode of our DiabloCast. This time around ScyberDragon joined us for some further in-depth discussion. If you missed the second episode, you can check it out here. Otherwise, the third episode covered the following topics:

The Chat Gem Lives!
    Diablo III Analyst
    SC2Mapster
    I like it, very nice discussion. Though I don't fully agree with your argument against an in-game encyclopedia Sixen.

This also clearly brings shows why we need an actual DiabloFans intro clip-thingie.
    DiabloWiki.com - PlugY PlugY for Diablo II allows you to reset skills and stats, transfer items between characters in singleplayer, obtain all ladder runewords and do all Uberquests while offline. It is the only way to do all of the above. Please use it.

Supporting big shoulderpads and flashy armor since 2004.
    Listening to it currently. :thumbsup:
    Quote from PhrozenDragon

Though I don't fully agree with your argument against an in-game encyclopedia Sixen.

don't get Sixen started. He's very passionate with his hatred about this idea :)

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

I could tell. You were hard pressed there for a while Scyber once Sixen got going ;)
    DiabloWiki.com - PlugY PlugY for Diablo II allows you to reset skills and stats, transfer items between characters in singleplayer, obtain all ladder runewords and do all Uberquests while offline. It is the only way to do all of the above. Please use it.

Supporting big shoulderpads and flashy armor since 2004.
    Good work guys, fun to listen to.
    Speaking of that "encyclopedia" containing monsters and lore etc, what if you updated that encyclopedia as you discover the monsters, lands, cities and the story. For instance, you fight a dark vessel, after that fight you get some simple information about it that you(the character) noticed,(not unrealistically detailed ofcourse.) It does make sense actually, if i were a character in diablo and i noticed demons excisted, i'd defenetly take notes about the demons to improve my chances of survival. Does not this make perfect sense? :P are there any negatives about this? Let the discussion begin or perhaps was this the end of the discussion? ;D

*edit* yea, didnt think of that fingolfingr:P nice idé and very realistic. power to the encyclopedia!

oh and, nice episode btw as always. Keep it commin!
    that kind of a journal that keeps track of monster properties could be nice indeed.
    after a certain amount of kills it should even get more detailed.

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    Are these podcasts available through itunes, zune or even an mp3 download? It'd be nice to throw this onto my mp3player. :)
    It should be available through iTunes soon™

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

Quote from Conax

Speaking of that "encyclopedia" containing monsters and lore etc, what if you updated that encyclopedia as you discover the monsters, lands, cities and the story. For instance, you fight a dark vessel, after that fight you get some simple information about it that you(the character) noticed,(not unrealistically detailed ofcourse.) It does make sense actually, if i were a character in diablo and i noticed demons excisted, i'd defenetly take notes about the demons to improve my chances of survival. Does not this make perfect sense? :P are there any negatives about this? Let the discussion begin or perhaps was this the end of the discussion? ;D

*edit* yea, didnt think of that fingolfingr:P nice idé and very realistic. power to the encyclopedia!

oh and, nice episode btw as always. Keep it commin!

Still, how does that fit into the lore? I just don't see it making sense, :P.

Quote from St_Spaceship

Are these podcasts available through itunes, zune or even an mp3 download? It'd be nice to throw this onto my mp3player. :)

Ya, like Scyber said, we're workin' on it, :).
    The Chat Gem Lives!
    Diablo III Analyst
    SC2Mapster
    It wouldn't be unreasonable to believe that your character keeps some kind of journal or record on the monsters and towns he/she discovers. I don't think there should be anything to keep track of items though, as the random loot mechanic would just make it so theres far too many entires. And in the end, even if the game doesn't have some kind of record of the monsters/lore you come across, a wiki our wiki will.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the news team.
    DiabloFans: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Live Chat
    I don't know about the journal from a lore point of view, but from a gameplay perspective it is certainly interesting. I mean the Barbarian doesn't feel like the kind of guy who sits down and write journals about his encounters xD I think that it is a great thing for Cain to offer though. Go to him and he can describe the enemies you have encountered based on how many you have killed, because he certainly feels like the kind of guy who would keep track of those things after you told him stories about that (which is something all heroes do, obviously... brag...).
    Quote from Jackzor

It wouldn't be unreasonable to believe that your character keeps some kind of journal or record on the monsters and towns he/she discovers. I don't think there should be anything to keep track of items though, as the random loot mechanic would just make it so theres far too many entires. And in the end, even if the game doesn't have some kind of record of the monsters/lore you come across, a wiki our wiki will.

So upon discovering monsters, our characters take note of the name, HP, MP, spells, resistances, immunities, special effects, etc? I think not, :P.
    The Chat Gem Lives!
    Diablo III Analyst
    SC2Mapster
    Cain likes to study monsters. Cain gives you a journal to fill up on your journey. At every interval of 10 for new monsters you discover you can check back in with Cain and receive a small but increasingly useful gift. At the end of the game, you can turn in the completed monster journal.

Also it's a pokedex.
    Also, you can now catch monsters in empty potion bottles and trade them with your friends. And Diablo now evolves.
    Quote from Sixen

Quote from Jackzor

So upon discovering monsters, our characters take note of the name, HP, MP, spells, resistances, immunities, special effects, etc? I think not, :P.

not exactly, per se.

Think of it that even the barbarian in his fury after killing 50 Fallens starts realizing it takes X blows to kill. Or say it's resistant to one way of attack or easier to kill using certain kinds of weapon enchantments.

Not to mention the smarter classes like Wizard and the cunning Demon Hunters! :rolleyes:

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    1st time listener here ^_^

i'll let you know what I think

I listened to the whole thing and it was good stuff. Keep up the good work guys ^_^
    Good listening
    Quote from Sixen

Quote from Jackzor

Well I was just thinking that its something like when your character isn't fighting monsters he's writing what he knows about them. More of a lore entry as opposed to a detailed and exact thing.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the news team.
    DiabloFans: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Live Chat
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes