Diablo III Development "Technically Completed"

In a way this kinda sucks. With skyrim and diablo 3 coming out, and I get out of college at the end of this year, I will not know what to do with myself.
    I also wonder what other systems that have not shown us that they have done like the trading system.

Guilds. I would like to see a guild system in D3, powered by the almighty Battle.net 2.0.
    I am ok with guild/clan support on battle.net but I don't think it should be incorporated into the game beyond a mention of the guild/clan name with the character. I am interested to see what they could do with battle.net though.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

This is really good news.

Hopefully this release, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Bulletstorm, and Battlefield 3 make this one of the best years for video games in recent years.

I hate the way you cling to ignorance and pass it off as innocence
    I'm a Quebec guy, and French is my native language. No really, if I had just realized the article was in French I would have helped. I thought it was in Japanese or something and thats why it could not be translated easily.

To further reinforce this, yes, its "The development is technically completed." Actually the translation at the top is 99% accurate, and in meaning, its completely accurate.

Predictions aside,

Even Blizzard has to start worrying about getting the game out in a reasonable fashion (what is a reasonable fashion though?). If they hold the game off too long, the technology can become too old to compete with the current games.

That being said, I really hope they're doing this because of "finishedness" rather than internal deadlines.

They have nothing to fear when it comes to technology. I'm sorry, but D3 and SC2 are already behind and are far from anything special in any way. However, Blizzard proves that they don't need to beat the technology to be successful.

We're coming in a graphic era where "better isn't.. necessarily better". What that means is, you don't need more. Especially with a more dedicated art style, there's no need to farther along in technology to have a visually appealing game. Polygons aren't obvious, everything can look clear and perfect, really.

Unless we step into some miraculous advancement in graphics, there's no way the technology getting too old is any kind of threat.
    There must be folks stabbing into the same key words going through all kinds of crazy translater to see what pops up.

=D

We are in, people! I can feel it!

The era of another greatly mastered D world.
    Yes indeed good news, however, i did read this already 2 days ago from my Russian buddys.
    Nice news indeed. Now let's hope they dont do too much closed beta :)
    Does anyone recall how the Diablo II and Diablo II Beta were driven? Because they shouldn't let you get into the main plot into the beta, otherwise it wil spoil everything for the final game. Maybe they have some testing areas so everyone will be able to test the classes without seeing the final areas.

Anyway I am looking forward to seeing this game, either beta or the final some time later.
    I love these news and at the moment I'm just hoping that I'll indeed (in some way) get my hands on a beta key so that I can help out improving, balancing and giving feedback on the game and I'm sure the beta will no matter what keep me satisfied and fill us all with information until release of the actual game ;)

Does anyone recall how the Diablo II and Diablo II Beta were driven? Because they shouldn't let you get into the main plot into the beta, otherwise it wil spoil everything for the final game. Maybe they have some testing areas so everyone will be able to test the classes without seeing the final areas.

Anyway I am looking forward to seeing this game, either beta or the final some time later.

Well, Diablo II closed beta had Act I (IIRC sans Andariel?). It had all of the quest stuff and whatnot and as such spoiled it quite much. Diablo II had also an open beta (which Diablo III will not have), which is actually the same content as the Diablo II demo you can try out even now, you find it with a quick Google search. It included the first two areas (Blood Moor and Cold Plains) and first two quests (Den of Evil and Blood Raven).

However, Diablo II also spoiled much of its acts and content in E3's prior to its launch. They had playable demos of the acts. Acts I, II and III were shown in great length excluding the act final bosses. So in a sense, only Act IV was brand new for players.

However, there is an apparent change of philosophy in how the Diablo III team is handling this. Unlike the Diablo II E3 demos, the Diablo III BlizzCon demos have had no spoilers. They've been stripped of all quest texts, lore and whatnot. There are just basically placeholder objectives for quests (Kill boss X; but no further details or background revealed as to why we're killing boss X). They've also been very secretive about most of their acts. We've seen a portion of Act I, a small portion of Act II, a non-existent glimpse of Act III (bastion's keep) and nothing of Act IV.

I expect the beta to follow this same trend. It will mostly consist of a limited area, perhaps even specifically tailored for the purpose of the beta (similar to the BlizzCon demos). It will most likely not spoil any story or bigger picture stuff. It might give out some lesser bosses (as we've already been given Leoric in BlizzCon 2008 and the Warden in 2010, as examples), but nothing major.

As such, I'm fairly confident that people needn't fret about getting spoiled too much by the beta. Our forum will be filled with content posted by the beta testers and we will do our best to allow as many of you as possible to get into the beta.

If you haven't done it yet, you can increase your chances of getting a beta key by following this FAQ (this specific one is for SCII, but it's mostly accurate for DIII): http://us.starcraft2.com/beta-faq.xml and opting for a chance for a beta key. Blizzard will want a wide variety of different computers into the beta to smooth out the biggest compatibility issues before launch.
    I really don't believe that blizzard would be that stupid to allow us to do quests ( get plot) in beta.
    BRING IT ON

Thanks Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    I think I pass the betakey, Its impossible to get one. Saves me the crying and anger when I fail. However I will get the D3 the same day it comes out. It was my xmas gift, a giftcard.

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

Well, the Diablo II beta only had Act I. StarCraft II beta didn't have the campaign, so no plot there.

But the WoW beta had everything. Possibly cause it had an enormous amount of quests and events that needed testing. So far we have absolutely no idea how many quests/events Diablo III will have so it could go either way.
    Now if we trust Jay Wilson's word on the "about 6 months from the beta launch to release" we might aswell get the whole package.

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    The activision sqeeze; slow Blizzard squeal?

If it's still too fast for a release than it's just wrong to push.

Yeah starting a closed up beta is no worries on product damaging. But does that mean all creating process are cut off by the activision. And Shrines are in the game already? Some stuff had just gotten mentioned pass two month.
    I got only one question, does anyone has a spare key? :)

I got only one question, does anyone has a spare key? :)

First thing we do when/if we get beta keys will be to find a fun way to give them away, count on it!

Still got to wait for the beta announcement for that, though :rolleyes:

Many thanks to Caniroth for the awesome sig!
    First thing we do when/if we get beta keys will be to find a fun way to give them away, count on it!

Still got to wait for the beta announcement for that, though :rolleyes:

Hope its not gonna be another fan art competition. I hate those, not fun for ppl who dont have artistic skills. Then plz make it something more open to all.

Hope its not gonna be another fan art competition. I hate those, not fun for ppl who dont have artistic skills. Then plz make it something more open to all.

While it's obviously a bit too early to talk about specifics, I can say that we've no plans (that I'm aware of) to give them out through fan art competitions.

This is of course subject to change, but I'm pretty confident it won't be fan art competitions.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes