Sharing thoughts about the Shared Stash

Blizzard announced earlier that the Shared Stash - which was confirmed at BlizzCon, and considered a likely option since they first mentioned item sharing in BlizzCast Episode 5 - is now finally in the game!

Official Blizzard Quote:

http://goo.gl/mBVSD" class="blizzsource">

Shared stashes are in and working.

Item sharing in the Diablo series has not been very convenient in the past. The first way to transfer items between your characters came with the DiabloWiki.com - Diablo: Hellfire Diablo: Hellfire expansion for the original Diablo" class="wiki-link">Diablo"/> Diablo. It was called the Cornerstone of the World and is a simple tile in the game that persists across all your characters. Place an item on the tile and any other character can go to the tile and grab it.

The next update came in DiabloWiki.com - Diablo II Diablo II. There was technically no item sharing support, so players had to find another way to transfer items. You had two options.

1. You join a game and drop the items you wish to transfer somewhere in the game world. You leave and hope that the game doesn't get closed or some other event prevents you from rejoining the game. You switch character, join the game, and pick up your stuff.
    2. You trade your items with a friend, swhich character, and take the items back. This method is considerably less risky, but it does require that a friend is online and available.
    None of these alternatives were very attractive or convenient, and it also caused the creation of mules. The problem was that you ran out of space in your own DiabloWiki.com - Inventory Inventory, so you had to find another place to store your items. The solution was to create a lot of level 1 characters, often across multiple accounts, and use them to store your items. A character used purely for storage is commonly called a mule. The only way to transfer items in single player was through replicating this transfer method in a LAN game.

It is obvious that Blizzard has never supported item sharing, up until now. The concept of a shared stash has arisen multiple times across various interviews, Q&A, and forum posts. They have always been positive towards the system, but they have never quite made the decision. Now they finally have. This addition may very well change the way we manage items, or it could turn out to be nothing but a simpler way to mule. DiabloWiki.com - Jay Wilson Jay Wilson touched the subject at Gamescom back in August, with this on his mind:

Official Blizzard Quote:

Including a shared stash in Diablo III is, I think, everyone’s first choice. A shared stash is very easy to deal with for the player, and having it in the game creates a nice common area where characters can gather in a game. It does create a few problems, though. For one thing, it really encourages players to mule items on multiple characters. Which may just be something we have to deal with. Players who like to mule really like doing it. We kind of feel, well, we wish you didn’t have to mule. We wish there was a better way to store away spare items.

Blizzard does not want us to store items on multiple characters, so it is likely that their version of the shared stash did solve this issue in one way or another. The most obvious solution is to make the stash so big that you never need a mule. Each character's personal stash + the shared stash would have to be large enough to support everything all of our characters will collect, otherwise the extra stash space needed to store items will be taken from mule characters.

Update: Luckily Bashiok recently confirmed that both the shared stash and personal stash will be huge. The people that really like to amass large amounts of junk will still require mules (Source), but let's remember that Diablo III will have an economy based on gold with actual value, so storing junk because it is valuable will no longer be necessary.

Space is not the only important advantage of a shared stash. It would also be a convenient place to put all your items that you want to trade.
    A major problem with mules is that it is hard to know on what character each item is when you are playing on a different one. Being able to browse all your items at once is a big advantage when trading, and as far as I can see there are two ways to accomplish that. You are either able to browse the items scattered across your separate character stashes, which might be a little tiresome when you have a lot of them, or you can simply view all items in your shared stash. When trading the old fashion way you could flip everything the other way around. You could offer someone to look at your shared stash and pick items they want to buy. That would be much more convenient than having to grab item after item and display them in a trade window, something you often had to do in D2. Though, I'm sure one of you can come up with much better ways to take advantage of the shared stash than these examples.

Lastly there is the possibility of upgrades and rewards. Progression is the key component of an RPG, and D3 is packed with examples of this: DiabloWiki.com - Skill Runes Skill Runes, DiabloWiki.com - Gems Gems, Equipment" class="wiki-link">Equipment"/> Equipment, Achievements, DiabloWiki.com - Artisans Artisans, ear collections, etc. The amount is simply staggering. They might implement some progression features to the shared stash as well. You could use gold to unlock slots, thereby giving Blizzard another way to drain gold from the economy, or you might recieve them by completing achievements.

Feel free to add your speculations and opinions to mine. What exactly will be possible with the shared stash, and will there be other systems (such as achievements) interacting with it?
    yay :D No more xfering
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

People would mule to multiple characters even if the stash wasnt shared so i wouldnt consider it a problem really, it just makes the process a bit less painful. Some people would rather trade the items away than sending them to other characters, this will help people do whatever they want with the items which is very awsome and smooth.
    I love this, there were multiple times in classic that I saved for an soj or something and then had to hide it in town and hope the game didn't drop. I lost alot of items that way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My only concern with shared stash is that it is too big and it basically becomes one stash for all of your characters. I would prefer it if it was just enough to trade an item at a time to another one of your characters.

Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the News team  

Quote from Conax

People would mule to multiple characters even if the stash wasnt shared

One purpose of the shared stash is to remove as much desire to mule as possible. With a shared stash you can put anything you don't need on that character in a stash that any character can access. It is much more convenient than placing item in a stash that only one character can access. It also eliminates a few reason for why people muled in the first place. Organization is a pretty common, to have entire characters with only items you were going to trade, or keep for future characters. A shared stash would remove the need to do this by letting people store all items intended for trade in the shared stash, easily accessible by all characters. Running out of stash space is not the only reason why people muled. It is the biggest, but not the only.

@Scyber - It sounds like it will be pretty big. I could think of a few other reasons why you would need a big stash other than equipment storage. You could for example store all your runes there, or your collection of gems. That would be much easier than having to remember what each of your 15 characters have in their inventories. I am all for a ridiculously insane sized shared stash :) (because I want to put a lot of equipment there as well)
    i see my stash filling with gems n runes and future weapons, then the tough decision to trade or harvest for materials or sell for gold your remainder. With personal a large stash + shared stash, i dont see myself ever filling up to the max even with like 10 max lvl characters
    Glad hearing share stash is officially activated. Was Jackzor the one who tweet those questions to Blizzard? Seen some of his questions on @diablo, lots of good ones; lots of thanks to him.

Welcome everyone to take a look at my Edge Livings, monster mechanics theory.

Diablo Fans>Diablo Forums>Diablo III
    " They might implement some progression features to the shared stash as well. You could use gold to unlock slots, thereby giving Blizzard another way to drain gold from the economy "

I hope they implement that!! The more progression features, the better i would say!
    - Hard trippin, Overclippin, Psychomatic beat skippin -
    Yeah, especially since account progression can be very long term goals. You might play on an account for a year, but probably not on a character. They can afford to make account progression really slow ^^ That way you will always feel that you have something "official" to strive for, instead of making build after build after build without a goal.
    Quote from Ophion

Yeah, especially since account progression can be very long term goals. You might play on an account for a year, but probably not on a character. They can afford to make account progression really slow ^^ That way you will always feel that you have something "official" to strive for, instead of making build after build after build without a goal.

I would like to see this happen too.

While account progression is good, I still want to feel that when I am playing each individual character, that it is just that character I am playing. If I can house every rune and gem I get on every character, I feel that it would loose some of that individuality.

Although, I guess I could always just not use it as much as everyone else :P

There would probably be more of a mail service if it was meant purely for transferring stuff :) It is a stash, so it is meant to be used as a global aceess storage.

I understand completely that sometimes you want it to feel like you are playing 5 different characters on an account, not 1 account with 5 workers. Unfortunately I have, after hours of thought, come to the conclusion that individuality and even the smallest form of sharing don't work together. Diablo II didn't support item sharing, your characters were technically completely separated from eachother, but people still found an way (an exploit?) to transfer items and even turn characters into bank accounts. My conclusion is that you either have to prevent all forms of item sharing, or you should try to support it as much as possible. Everything in between will only cause frustration. You can either share or you can't.

They could restrict the amount of runes and gems you could put in the shared stash, or prevent sharing completely, but that wouldn't prevent you from transferring their combined value in gold/gear and buy them from other players. You are not preventing anything, you are only placing out annoying roadblock to prevent convencience. It will not serve any good to add restrictions unless it completely eliminates the source of the issue.
    I guess a big part will be to see the incentive to not hoard items. If salvaging and selling items is worth it then people won't hold onto everything "just in case". It's one thing if you are playing a barb and get a good item for a wd that you also have. It is another when you get a good item for a wd and keep it for if/when you will play a wd. I just don't like the idea of holding on to items just for that sake.

The problem is that there are a lot of items that you might use on a future character. Every good WD item, every good Barb item, everything that is good essentially. For this to work it is important that people actually sell their items and build up gold, and later use that gold to buy items for new builds, rather than saving everything you find because you will make a character that needs it a month later.
    I would like to see some sort of auto item separation. Like a section of the shared stash for each set or unique item.
    Some sort of a trophy case maybe.
    One thing that kept me playing D2 so long (and still play once in a while) was to eventually find every item. GoMule has a great summary report that I would love to see in D3 in some fashion.
    "It's hard to kill a man once you've seen pictures of his kids"
    Just a little add on Idea for the Gold Vs. Economy issue with D2 I would imagine a lvl up / gold vs storage increase
    Start off with a relative low box, allow a max amount of characters for each battle.net account i would sugguest 5 ...1 for each class I suppose.
    Now my proposition is For every 20 level ups per intervals as follows starting at lvl 19:

19-39-59-79-99

Assuming 99 is the cap ( I don't remember if that has already been discussed )

Now these Storage increases would be Buyable from the ingame Npc For a price now I would... make the first 2-3 pretty cheap and make the 79 and 99 endgame storage upgrades fairly expensive. Would give a Economy Drain so everyone doesnt have a Huge amount of cash in their bank all the time.

Just a thought

~Avid Diablo Fan
    Well, they have said that you will be able to create somewhere between 10-50 characters per account. Also, the level cap is 60. However, your idea remains valid. Paying to unlock more stash space is a good gold sink but the question would be the price. Too little and it's pointless and too much could stop people from doing it. Something similar to wow's bank slots (yes I said it) could work.

I think both stashes should be huge. Since I like to save good rare items (as they have random stats, it's harder to sell & buy back them) for chars I plan to make in the future.

Whether the size comes as default or as extra pages bought with gold, I don't mind.
    Quote from oldmannoob
    Like a section of the shared stash for each set or unique item.

I have always found this idea interesting. I think it is good because it will make it easier to play the collector side-game by organizing and keeping track of your progress, like the Pokedex in Pokemon :) But it would have to be an optional feature because it will only be annoying for people that don't collect.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes