Working Skill Rune Names Disclosed

Quote from enkeria

• Crimson: Slightly bluish-red colors.
    • Source: Graveyards, Smithery, Colosseum.
      Skill: Add deadly strike and open wound effects.

• Indigo: Purple/Blue.
    • Source: Greek Clothdye, probably in some town, caravan, village.
      Skill: Add wide range and muliple strike effects.

• Obsidian: Frozen Lavastone.
    • Source: Brimstone and Hell.
      Skill: Add powerfull effects.

• Golden: Orange/Yellow.
    • Source: Greedy Temples and treasures.
      Skill: Add long lasting effects.

• Alabaster: White/Pink.
    • Source: Sandy waistlands and Magical Areas.
      Skill: Add fusions with element effects.

My guesses!

F***, at least somebody with a slight amount of imagination. >.>

My guess is that the word of the rune is barely related to what it does to a skill. So crimson has nothing to do with fire, golden has nothing to do with magic find and gold.
    Sjees guys.

Like Crimson might increase projectiles or increases the distance of projectiles or increases the range effects of AoE spells or increase the duration of buffs. Really genetic but pretty sure Crimson wont just turn chain lighting into chain fireballs and make arcane bolt go all firebolt on you.
    I can't say I'm a fan of the new names. Granted, calling them "Multistrike" or such things are unimaginative and far -too- descriptive, but these new names.. No, no, they won't do at all.

Might aswell call them "Blue", "Yellow", "Red", etc. I'd prefer descriptive, figurative names that matches the theme of the rune across the multitude of skills.

Quote from Airandius

[...]

Like Crimson might increase projectiles or increases the distance of projectiles or increases the range effects of AoE spells or increase the duration of buffs. Really genetic but pretty sure Crimson wont just turn chain lighting into chain fireballs and make arcane bolt go all firebolt on you.

I agree with what you're saying. But that said, don't deny that such a thing would be -awesome-!

Elemental runes that changes the element of a skill in some very basic and elementary (no pun intended) way is something I've wanted to see for a long, long time.
    "To be modern only means to fill new forms with eternal truths". - The Inquisitor.
    "A child laughs when it feels joy and cries when it feels pain. Both things, laughing and crying it does with it's whole heart. We all became so tall and so clever. We know so much and we have read so much. But one thing we forgot: to laugh and cry like the children do". - The Ranger.
    Quote from Luckmann

Quote from Airandius

[...]

I agree with what you're saying. But that said, don't deny that such a thing would be -awesome-!

Elemental runes that changes the element of a skill in some very basic and elementary (no pun intended) way is something I've wanted to see for a long, long time.

Yeh it's cool. I would love to see chainfire and chainice, but it would be hard to implant it with other skills. How would you add elemental damage to physical skills like for the Barb and Monk.
    Besides I expect Blizzard to be a bit more creative then the average internet surfer.
    It might have some elemental changes though.

I expect it to go like this: (Arcane Bolt as example)

Rune 1: Multiple bolts going in different directions. (More bolts a rank.)
    Rune 2: Bolt will work like a homing missle. (Will home for longer distances.)
    Rune 3: Upon impact the bolt can separate into multiple lesser bolts (going into different directions). (More bolts and damage each rank.)
    Rune 4: The bolt will bounce from surfaces and monsters, dealing less damage each bounce. (Up to x bounces per rank.)
    Rune 5: The bolt will change into a random other element including a physical variation.

Would it not be nice if the rune would give a 'increased' effect if the skill rank was maximized (if skill ranks exist.)

Rune 1: Multiple bolts going into different directions and upon killing an enemy the bolt shatters into lesser bolts with the same effect.
    Rune 2: Bolt will explode upon impact, dealing AoE damage.
    Rune 3: Same effect but the bolts are more unstable and will separate when enemies get close to it.
    Rune 4: The bolt will bounce and stun/slow every monster it hits.
    Rune 5: Added effect, cold freezes, fire burns, electro stuns etc

Some need pictures but I'm not going to bother. It's just to illustrate my point, also they are awesome in my head.
    Quote from Luckmann

As longs as the skills do behave differently in some way (and its not just a plain change of "fire damage is now ice damage or whatever"), then I think its not a bad idea and it could be one way for you to hit with another -type- of damage, even if thats not going to be as important in D3 without immunities.
    Like, actually changing graphical elements. For instance, although I know it's just a limitation of mods, Eastern Sun kinda ticked me off because its lightning hydra is just the fire hydra, only shooting charged bolts.
    I hope there more complex and the same rune in a diff skill has diffrent effect. Instead of one rune do one and another do something. I hope the possibilities are endless (Untill youve put every rune in every skill to see what changes it does) :D
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

Quote from Magistrate

Like, actually changing graphical elements. For instance, although I know it's just a limitation of mods, Eastern Sun kinda ticked me off because its lightning hydra is just the fire hydra, only shooting charged bolts.

They did the same thing in Hellfire with spells like Lightning Wall and such. Which is even lamer since it's not a mod.. or actually it is but it's being presented as an expansion.
    This signature has been edited by Macros: 25 August 2010 - 04:00 PM
    Quote from SFJake

Quote from Luckmann

As longs as the skills do behave differently in some way (and its not just a plain change of "fire damage is now ice damage or whatever"), then I think its not a bad idea and it could be one way for you to hit with another -type- of damage, even if thats not going to be as important in D3 without immunities.
    A necessity. Of course, some things would have to overlap in function, between skills just like some runes likely will do. For example the "Hydra" rune (which isn't named Hydra anymore, I know) will "just" increase the number of projectiles on most skills (as far as we know). But as a very basic functional difference, ice could freeze or chill enemies, fire could do AoE or DoT damage, Lighting could do considerably more damage or stun/knockback, etc, etc, etc.

Imagine Witch Doctor's Skull of Flame with an "Ice" rune. Instead of fire, it'd do frost damage, surrounded by a frosty mist, chilling enemies in it's explosion radius. "Lighting" rune could turn it into a 'flashbang'-like effect. "Fire" would add a DoT effect or increase AoE radius.

The Wizard's Slow Time with an "Ice" rune could add a local cold aura, a "Fire" rune could add a fire aura, and so on. Very basic, but very functional.

Stuff like that.

Quote from Magistrate

Definately. Absolutely. Everything *feels* very "mod-like", no matter how "official" it is. I am extremely picky when it comes to mods, precisely because they tend to lack an expected amount of polish that is necessary for a new features to mesh with a game.

This is also why I absolutely hate most DLC content in recent memory - it's often very mod-like. I really hope Blizzard doesn't go down this route or, if they do, do it right.

Quote from Ivaron
    They did the same thing in Hellfire with spells like Lightning Wall and such. Which is even lamer since it's not a mod.. or actually it is but it's being presented as an expansion.
    That's not really the same thing, though. As far as I remember, Lightning Wall was actually made of lighting. It wasn't a firewall that did lighting damage.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It was a -very- long time since I played Hellfire.
    "To be modern only means to fill new forms with eternal truths". - The Inquisitor.
    "A child laughs when it feels joy and cries when it feels pain. Both things, laughing and crying it does with it's whole heart. We all became so tall and so clever. We know so much and we have read so much. But one thing we forgot: to laugh and cry like the children do". - The Ranger.
    The new names are a little wonky because they're inconsistent as a group. With gold, alabaster, and obsidian they seem to have a theme going of materials you could carve or etch a rune into, but it breaks with indigo, which is the name of a flower and of the color and the clothing dye made from that flower, and worse still with crimson, which AFAIK is just a color and nothing else.

But if they pick better names to go consistently with the hard-materials theme it'd be cool. Maybe cooler still is an idea that just crossed my mind with these materials-names, which is that you could create runes that have two categories of names, the rune itself and the material, with different effects depending on how they're combined in specific runes you find. There would have to be only a few of each type of course because the number of combinations could get out of hand in a hurry and be a bitch to balance, but could make for some interesting effects, and it'd be cool to see a new rune and guess what the combination might do based on previous similar ones you've had.

Just some fairly simple and rough elemental-related example ideas off the top of my head (all for attacking skills):

D2's Ort rune added lightning dmg/resist so it will do lightning-ish things:

Golden Ort rune: Attack releases charged bolts when it strikes.
    Obsidian Ort rune: Attack gains the additional effect of reducing target's remaining health by a percentage (think Static Field).
    Alabaster Ort rune: Attack gains added lightning damage and stun.

D2's Ral rune was all about fire:

Golden Ral rune: Attack sets the ground on fire around the target when it strikes.
    Obsidian Ral rune: Attack becomes hot enough to melt armor, reducing target's defense and resistances.
    Alabaster Ral rune: Attack gains added fire damage and burn DoT.

Off the top of my head I just brainstormed an AoE theme for Golden, a single-target debuff/boss-killer theme for Obsidian, and a straight plus-damage-and-standard-elemental-effect theme for Alabaster. Rough ideas to illustrate the concept.
    I think Bashiok did say that those names are highly tentative, so you might not have to worry about that.
    Lemme straight up this tread a little.

One slot for each active skill.

go see this old video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouYP1zGfd0s

It's not gonna work like gems. Runes make skills work differently, except maybe golden rune who might be a mana cost reducer, but again they might change the spell graphictly (look weaker or something like that).

So the purpose of these runes is to change your playing style, and maybe try different combo like put a lethality rune on electrocute(adding a nova when u kill an ennemy) and max out the passive skill critical hit for lightning dmg, shit like that.

So, Golden = reduce mana cost
    Alabaster = was striking rune, the wild card one
    Crimson = Force rune, add power
    Indigo = multi-strike
    obsidian = Lethality

Well these are just guesses. But they put these names just that when you put a lethality rune(obsidian) on crystaline armor, it's gonna make sense somehow.
    Today,I am very gald to see this wonderful article.It reminds

me of something related.Such as you can find in the following

website.

www.onseeking.com Where

you can find what you want at best price. Ladies and

gentleman,please don't hesitated to click it.

www.onseeking.com

Thousands of brand handbags

shoes and

high-heel shoes are

waiting for you.

Free shipping!
    Paypal accept!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes