Working Skill Rune Names Disclosed

In response to a member's thread at the Battle.net forums, Bashiok responded with some nice little tidbits of information that will hopefully hold us all off for another week. Clarifying a recent (relative term here) renovation of the skill runes on the development side that he vaguely mentioned some time ago, he begins:

Official Blizzard Quote:

The runes have really just been renamed to allow us greater flexibility in what they do so we're not creating a weird detachment from what they're called and the effect they provide. For example what was the multi-strike rune going to do for ... say... slow time? And does that match what the name implies, or what you would assume? Probably not.

Also, personally, the newest names [...] are very much in the theme of the world and Diablo. Lethality/multistrike/power were very game-mechanic in approach, and even when they moved to viper/hydra/force they had an odd mysticism attached with them. Now they're very plainly named by interesting sounding materials. Great, very matter of fact and real in their theme, IMO.

Runes still have a general theme though, you'll know that this rune usually increases damage in some way, and this other one usually decreases cost in some way, and this one is a wild-card and usually changes how the skill works in some crazy way. But we have enough freedom now that multi-strike/hydra whatever you know it as, doesn't have this defined perception that it's always going to "multi-strike". Whatever that means to each player.

Soon enough, he replies with the current working names of some runes they're playing with at HQ:

• Crimson
    • Indigo
    • Obsidian
    • Golden
    • Alabaster
    Any guesses to what these five beauties might do in Diablo III?
    (A big thanks to Nektu for the wake-up call :P)
    Golden = when that skill is used you have a greater mf and gold find?
    Obsidian = chance to open wounds or deadly strike or something with that spell?
    Crimson = posibly change any spell into elemental fire damage?

One becomes strong when they are fighting to protect someone close to them... - Shiro Haku
    Yeah, I was thinking the same for Golden and Crimson. Alabaster's got me stumped... Indigo, maybe cold or wind damage? Indigo is kinda blue.
    I don't think runes will add mf or gold drop. Golden will probably be something like decreased resource cost. indigo was use as a multi strike example by bash so ill stick with that. Obsidian could be vamp, crimson increased damage or dot and alabaster could be the wild-card rune since bash mentioned that there would probably be one such rune.

Also, rune effects are not universal and will change so crimson could be either damage or dot and obsidian could be a healing effect on non-attack skills
    Alabaster I could see as to adding cold damage. Crimson has got to be fire related.

Recruiting for East Realm
    Also recruiting for Sc2 on both EU and NA servers

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    This is definately a better naming system for the runes. It allows for much more flexibility with what they can do with the effects the runes give to each skill. And runes wont be related to elemental damage such as fire/cold, they will still have effects like reduced mana cost, multi-strike, faster cast rate etc.
    ☆ ✮ ✯
    Im sure they wont make a rune with reducing resource cost because all the diablo 3 team has been saying is like, well we don't want things like WoW where o you have a buff increasing damage or when skill trees were being developed(not anymore of course)they said they wont have anything to spend points on that just increases damage and that's it or reducing stuff I mean I just don't think a rune for it makes since.

So Golden has to be something maybe for MF/More gold on drop
    Wait, so we're talking about names that are not so specific so that their effects on the skills are not always the same (such as the multi strike example)...

...and then we go on about how Golden would just add gold/magic find or other extremely specific (and very boring) changes?

I mean come on. Added mf or gold find is the worst idea of the year on a rune. Also just changing damage into another element makes little sense at all?

Nevermind the fact that this has no versatility whatsoever. Why are we trying to put such specific effects on the runes when we JUST LEARNED of new names given to the runes for flexibility?

And If any runes do make such simple boring changes in the end, I'll be really disappointed. Runes are like, the only special interesting things they have introduced yet and that has lots of potential. But there's no potential or part of runes that I care about if they have such boring changes as "Golden make your skill give more mf/gold find and thats it. How could anyone stand for that? :/
    Quote from SFJake
    But there's no potential or part of runes that I care about if they have such boring changes as "Golden make your skill give more mf/gold find and thats it. How could anyone stand for that? :/
    I can, not like im going to use it anyways
    Quote from Zenith

Man, runes in D3 change the way a skill works. And a rune that would add an extra few % gold drop to a skill would be totally useless. You would have to use that skill all the time to get the extra gold drop.

Also with the new names, the name of the rune simply implies what material the rune is made of. A golden rune doesnt neccesarily mean that everything it touches turns to gold. They just renamed them so it would be easier to tailor the different effects to each skill. A gold rune can mean different things for different skills where as a multi-strike rune wouldnt fit well with some skills.
    ☆ ✮ ✯
    Now, I certainly approve of them having the names more vague so that they have more room to play with the effects on various skills, but seriously these names are totally lame. Besides, don't gems already have different colors? Lastly, aren't runes like... a way of writing? Did people in the Diablo universe carve out the word "Crimson" on a stone slab in some old dialect, or did they find a crimson gem (ruby or whatever) with symbols on it that no-one could translate and decided to call it a "crimson rune"? I don't get it.
    This signature has been edited by Macros: 25 August 2010 - 04:00 PM
    Quote from Pryda

Quote from Zenith

Man, runes in D3 change the way a skill works. And a rune that would add an extra few % gold drop to a skill would be totally useless. You would have to use that skill all the time to get the extra gold drop.

Also with the new names, the name of the rune simply implies what material the rune is made of. A golden rune doesnt neccesarily mean that everything it touches turns to gold. They just renamed them so it would be easier to tailor the different effects to each skill. A gold rune can mean different things for different skills where as a multi-strike rune wouldnt fit well with some skills.
    o ya haha forgot they go in skills in this one whoops haha
    Quote from Ivaron

Now, I certainly approve of them having the names more vague so that they have more room to play with the effects on various skills, but seriously these names are totally lame.

Agreed.

On another note, does anybody know how many runes we are allowed to put in a skill?
    Not sure. I want to say that it depends on the skill? Maybe?
    I think I saw a picture a few months ago that had 3 sockets for it and you could activate one whenever you wanted to, I do believe so
    I don't know about the others, but since obsidian is extremely sharp in real life, I would imagine it would add some sort of effect of making the target bleed uncontrollably or prevents monster heal or something similar.
    Just as the Scorpion hunts...
    Silently Lurking...

"Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted." ~ Ezio Auditore de Firenze
    Quote from Lt. Venom

I don't know about the others, but since obsidian is extremely sharp in real life, I would imagine it would add some sort of effect of making the target bleed uncontrollably or prevents monster heal or something similar.
    actually it could be I kinda like the idea like it would help to use a skill with crimson rune on like lets say a fallen shaman or such so it wouldn't be able to heal, I mean that idea is a lot better than just saying O well crimson increases fire damage or adds fire damage.
    Ok, so if the Gold rune boosts gold and magic drops , would it proc when you kill the enemy with that particular spell or is the drop increase/boost active all the time, Despite if you are using the "gold spell?"

If not, wouldn't that lead to everyone having a "last hit" spell with a gold rune enchanted? Which would suck.
    Quote from Nekrodrac

On another note, does anybody know how many runes we are allowed to put in a skill?

If I remember right from what I read a while ago, only one. But I think that you can switch it out. I'm not sure how many times, or even at all, but I swear I read it someplace.

Recruiting for East Realm
    Also recruiting for Sc2 on both EU and NA servers

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!

• Crimson: Slightly bluish-red colors.
    • Source: Graveyards, Smithery, Colosseum.
      Skill: Add deadly strike and open wound effects.

• Indigo: Purple/Blue.
    • Source: Greek Clothdye, probably in some town, caravan, village.
      Skill: Add wide range and muliple strike effects.

• Obsidian: Frozen Lavastone.
    • Source: Brimstone and Hell.
      Skill: Add powerfull effects.

• Golden: Orange/Yellow.
    • Source: Greedy Temples and treasures.
      Skill: Add long lasting effects.

• Alabaster: White/Pink.
    • Source: Sandy waistlands and Magical Areas.
      Skill: Add fusions with element effects.

My guesses!

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes