Top 5 Best Diablo Clones

Fate and Mythos are made by the same guy, Travis Baldree. It's the reason why I picked Mythos over Fate, because it's basically got everything Fate had, and more. It's too bad the game's dead now, but Travis is working on a new game, so it's only a matter of time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hellforge: Forging a passion for video games.
    rather waiting than playing a clone. Some of them are good game though, but when I tried Titan Quest after 5 minutes I asked myself: "where is the fun in killing ennemies ? where is the brutality? why is it so slow ? why the items are not so cool? why the skill tree is so boring?" And then I got it, it was just not Diablo.
    So thanks for the tip, and it's just my very humble opinion, but I'll wait for the real one, not a copy.
    You guys played Loki maybe? What do you think about it? ;] I played and i can say that it's a very nice game. Not playing "barbarian", but this kinda mag. I forgot how it was called. Coz playing barb was too easy.

cheerio
    You guys played Loki maybe? What do you think about it? ;] I played and i can say that it's a very nice game.
    You must incinerate that garbage.
    I spit on the people that worked on that swine-fest. I spit on them: hwuahh ptuuiii....
    lol it can still easily be a ranger since who said you cant shoot arrows at melee distance xD
    The Barbarian is from Arreat, a very cold snowy mountain top, but they are much tougher than normal humans, so they don't need warmth.
    Where are Barbarians originally from? Sumeria, or more specifically Mesopotamia, AKA Europe. Think the Alps and the Pyrenees
    Epic quotes... all of them
    That isn't so bad ;) I don't know who you played, but if the same guy who i played, i don't know what's wrong with it ;] But i played only some time, coz i had a problem with the game to run hy hy %-)

I noticed that you can nicely imitate sounds lol.

cheerio

What the hell are you talking about? Have you ever played Dungeon Siege 1? Then play Dungeon Siege 2 after that, you'll see just how much of a Diablo clone Dungeon Siege 2 is. It ruined the game for me, they used the concepts of Diablo in a game that played quite differently, and it left a game that wasn't really anything. Dungeon Siege 1 was so much better. Basically, what they did was, they went "hmm, Dungeon Siege 1 was a good game, not great but good. What if we throw in some stuff from Diablo 2? Might make it better..".
    I've played both DS1 and DS2 with the expansion and I can safely say it has nothing to do with Diablo. Different gameplay, different game mechanics... And what is this great change between DS1 and 2 that has taken roots from the Diablo style?

Also Diablo is a hack-n-slash if you want to tidbit. Not a role playing game. I would call Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate rpg's. Action rpg's? Yeah, battle metal, dark-metal, bullshit names, but it boils down to somewhat the same thing. For it to be a rpg it would have to give you the ability of a choice (or at least fooling you into believing that you effect the outcome), not necessarily building your own 'unique' character. Silver for instance is not a RPG. It' a console adventure. Or is it? What about Summoner? Are TES3 and 4 rpg's: Yes.

Some games are really intertwined in different genres, but not Diablo or Dungeon Siege. DS might be a bit more on the strategy side like Gothic (which also has nothing to do with RPG) with the exception of the ability to pause, thus it cannot be called a real-time strategy game.
    They all share some elements right? Well, that doesn't mean it's in the same category much less a 'clone' - a meaning that is a bit twisted. If that's true then every first person shooter since Duke Nukem or I don't know Castle Wolfenstein is a clone if I'm going by your logic or reasoning.

Clone is really something that is offensive to game developers. That Loki game- now that's a CLONE. Others just share certain parts of Diablo or have adopted them and changed them a bit. They are after all in the same hack-n-slash category right?
    Just because Diablo might have been the most memorable gem in it's genre, doesn't make it the 'original'. I'm sure it's taken it's roots from some other game.
    it's also a mistake to call every game after Diablo - a clone. Nox came out after Diablo 1 and about the same with Diablo 2 in 2000. If you really don't like a game that doesn't mean it's a 'clone'. You might have mean't: it's very similar as Diablo and somewhat good or very good, but when people say clone- it's most likely meant as a cheap imitation, a lesser product. With this tempo every game, no matter how well done, would be considered as CLONED.

Mythos- haven't played.
    Divine Divinity- haven't played.
    Dungeon Siege series: not a clone (not even in the same genre). There are more similar games to DS than Diablo and more similar games to Diablo than DS, thus ruling it out.
    Sacred 1 + expansion (and probably S2): not a clone.
    Throne of Darkness: clone.
    Arcanum: a slight clone ;)
    Loki: a very bad clone.
    Titan Quest: clone.
    I could go on like this for hours, but unfortunately I have to get ready for my exams later today.
    lol it can still easily be a ranger since who said you cant shoot arrows at melee distance xD
    The Barbarian is from Arreat, a very cold snowy mountain top, but they are much tougher than normal humans, so they don't need warmth.
    Where are Barbarians originally from? Sumeria, or more specifically Mesopotamia, AKA Europe. Think the Alps and the Pyrenees
    I prefer various Diablo mods to the supposed clones.

Eastern Sun is my favorite.
    Median 2008 is... OK. (I think a hybrid of ES/Median08 would kick ass).
    Back to Hellfire is fairly decent. I haven't gotten too far into this one, yet.
    "Fate" is good D1 clone

You call this a D1 clone?

Firstly.. to put mythos in that "chit-chat" was only as advertisment..
    secondly.. the real review should have such comparisons..

Graphics mode ( isometric, almost isometric..) That means, no hellgate, elderscrolls fit here.. :)
    Loot system, quests..
    Yep.. sacred was a great clone, but..
    titan quest was the greatest d2 clone.It wasnt most sucessful clone ( since item drop system is lame, rarely drops anything good at all )

Ok..well i would like to see clear review with all similar games..
    1. The biggest part is camera and graphics!! ( so no cute fate - mythos lol fits )
    2. Random loot is in all those games..I liked dungeon siege2 loot better than tq..
    3.hack-n-slash! section! im not sure about divine divinity, but i played dungeon siege series..they are not like diablo2, or titan quest, where you rush in 20monster pack and tear ir apart..
    There was loki game 0 but it sucked balls so much because of ugly graphics..really ugly..even the menu was so horrible to look at it..( no im sure my monitor is just fine :( )
    My very very short summary :) Sacred, titan quest..

If it's cutesy doesn't mean it's not a clone. Never played this game, but similarities are obvious. Just look at the menu and interaction system... Thing is, it's not just about what it looks like. It's more about game mechanics.
    It's definetly more similar than lets say dungeon siege which is again I say- a game I really don't like.

EDIT @ okok9: I know that he meant it as game- mechanics user system wise. That's what I meant too.
    To compare 'this' to Diablo would be stupid.
    Quest 1: Go water all the flowers in the Gar-den and return to Asheara to collect prize lol
    lol mechanics are not everything..
    Fate - d2 or d1 clone..thats pathetic..
    Mythos absolutely looks like more diablo game than diablo III.Jay wilson should look at it and take lessons about light radius, dark-gritty-gothic art and object highlighting in 3D ;)
    "Fate" is good D1 clone

If that is fate, and it's similar (or the same as Mythos) then nether are a clone. There is no way you could call something like that a clone.

I would put Baldur's Gate II (or even Baldur's Gate) as a clone before something that looks like the above pic.

Here is a shot from BGII, mage is casting Ice Storm (works like Blizzard)

Got a few other screenshots here

I guess because it is a Dungeons and Dragons game it might get over looked, but I see it bearing a resemblance (which it seems is all you need to constitute a clone (or to be made by the same people like HG: L)) to Diablo in several aspects more than some of the games mentioned in that list.
    -Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.
    Mythos looks like some Korean fantasy MMO with overhead view and sparkly childish environments, gnomes, fairies and generally fantasy stuff can only appeal to 12 year old children and younger. How can it ever be called a Diablo 'clone' - it's just an underaverage MMO with girly graphics.

P.S. Did anyone here ever play Throne of Darkness?

throne of darkness looks good.

wich year it was released?

P.S. Did anyone here ever play Throne of Darkness?

Hey yeah, I remember that game. Forgot it's name, but I think I played a demo or something of that.. It was okay, the whole asian thing didn't cut it for me though.. But that's definately a Diablo clone.
    This signature has been edited by Macros: 25 August 2010 - 04:00 PM
    Most of those games suck. And yes, I've played just about all of them.

The only game in the list that came close to a Diablo clone was Titan Quest. And even then, it had it's share of problems. Bad difficulty scaling (it was easier and easier the higher difficulty you went) and no closed servers killed what would have been a really great Diablo clone.

All the rest in the list just really lack serious polish and just that fun factor.
    how about you stop promoting your crappy blog
    trying to win some blog contest or what?
    Titan Quest was an excellent game, I enjoyed playing it with my friends for a long while. Unfortunately the performance was pretty crappy for me in large parties and I was unwilling to upgrade at the time, so eventually sold the game. It did get somewhat boring after playing through it 2-3 times, but still offered alot of fun, and the Greek Mythology take was a nice touch.

Never played Mythos but it looks boring.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes