Kingdom of Shadow - Lost City of Ureh

Ahhh, I understand you now. Thanks. But yeah, obviously its highly debatable. I suppose it just depends on the location of Harrogath. I always thought that Harrogoath was on Mt Arreat, at the base of it, in which case it would have been destroyed. But that there could perhaps be Sescheron, the Barbarian Capital, a little way south from Harrogath (the first Act V cinematic trailer is actually in Scesheron).

I actually forgot about that artwork. And lol, either those guards have been standing there a very long time, or it didn't take long at all for the mountain to sink into the earth.

I guess we will find out the answer in time.

But I still stick with my theory lol.

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    WoW fans are nerds. Diablo fans are freaks.
    Kinda lost with all that mumbo jumbo. I will add a bit though. Those who still have the Diablo II handbook may remember the map below. Compare it with the Diablo 3 website map. Mt. Arreat and where the Barbarians lived went boom. It is now split into three big chunks of land and a few minor isles.

Quote from "Atrumentis" »
    Ahhh, I understand you now. Thanks. But yeah, obviously its highly debatable. I suppose it just depends on the location of Harrogath. I always thought that Harrogoath was on Mt Arreat, at the base of it, in which case it would have been destroyed. But that there could perhaps be Sescheron, the Barbarian Capital, a little way south from Harrogath (the first Act V cinematic trailer is actually in Scesheron).

I actually forgot about that artwork. And lol, either those guards have been standing there a very long time, or it didn't take long at all for the mountain to sink into the earth.

I guess we will find out the answer in time.

But I still stick with my theory lol.

Yeah, the theory presented here is a good one but being somebody who is still waiting for their Diablo Archive (ordered it on the 9th July, but live in the UK and it's shipped from USA) I haven't had chance to read the books (same thing with Moon of the Spider).

I'm sure I'd probably be more encouraged to believe this theory if I had read them but right now I think it's quite possible either could be right.

Good job spotting it though. It was getting quite boring reading all the same theories on "what is the meteor?" and "who's the Angel?" around here. :)

P.S. I wouldn't call it 'mumbo jumbo' just an exchange of ideas.

Currently reading the The Sin War (Scales of the Serpent, bk2).
    Make sure to 'Vote this post up' for fellow contributors that make good discussion!
    And don't forget to stay a while - and listen!
    If you read the official Diablo 3 site, seems the Barbarians no longer live there. Abd Al-Hazir visited Bastion's Keep and found Mt. Arreat blown, the land torn apart into islands. No sign of Barbarian race survival in the area.

"In my journey to catalogue the various denizens, civilizations, and fauna of our world, I have traveled far and wide, but never before have I been struck with such dismay as when standing upon the ramparts of the ancient fortress of Bastion's Keep. I came to see firsthand the barbarians, those near-legendary, immense, relentless, dual-wielding furies of combat dwelling upon their sacred Mount Arreat.

Instead, I stand here looking at a mountain that has been torn asunder by some extraordinary force. The sight, I must confess, is incomprehensible. Yet what I see before me cannot be denied."

If I recall, when I was at the Diablo 3 panel in Paris, I think I heard something along the fate of the Barbarian people. There are some beasts or demons in the area. I think we got hinted the Barbarian survivors were transformed or warped. Maybe they have become some kind of undead.
    I too got the impression that we will fight the Barbarians as enemies in the wilderness. Not sure where exactly, but somewhere.

But the unknown city in the cinematic has a far-too-peaceful atmosphere when compared to the one with Hell's armies and the Worldstone.

And remember that its a huge city next to a river and on the side of a mountain, as well as near other mountains. Ureh is a city on the side of a massive mountain (Mt Nymyr), there are also other mountains nearby and there is a river next to it (as seen on the map).

I can't think of anywhere else that is more similar.

The mysterious city appears to be in ruins, judging by that close up of the ruined statue. Ureh is a city of ruins. There are many other ruined cities in Sanctuary, but if it wasn't ruined, it would contradict itself and I would rule it out as not being Ureh. There are several main statue types described in Ureh: angels, gargoyles and men, which are assumed to have been famous when they were alive in Ureh.

But really, the best clue we have is the whole "...shadow crawls across our world" line that is said at the same time as we see the mysterious city in the cinematic (Kingdom of Shadow).

Here are some quotes from Kingdom of Shadow:
    “ ‘The Light among Lights’? The most pure of realms in all the history of the world, built upon the very slope of the towering mountain called Nymyr? Aye, captain, there it stands—and, for our needs, just in time, if my calculations hold true!”

Gasps came from behind Kentril. The other men had finally caught up, just in time to hear the sorcerer’s words. They all knew the legends of the realm called the Light among Lights by the ancients, a place fabled to be the one kingdom where the darkness of Hell had feared to intrude. They all knew of its
    story, even as far away as the Western Kingdoms.

Here had been a city revered by those who followed the light. Here had stood a marvel, ruled by regal and kind lords who had guided the souls of all toward Heaven. Here had been a kingdom so pure, stories had it that it had at last risen whole above the mortal plane, its inhabitants transcending mortal limitations, rising to join the angels. “You see a sight worthy of the loss of your men, captain,” the Vizjerei whispered, extending one bony hand toward the ruins. “For now you are one of the few fortunate ever to cast your eyes upon one of the wonders of the past—fabulous, lost Ureh!
    Humbart's letter to Lord Hyram of the Zakarum:

On the seventh day, near dusk,the passage began,Master Mazi again approached the edge of the ruins. Says I to him, that this quest’s seen no good end and we should go, but he says he’s certain this time. The shadow will touch at just the right angle. It has to.

Master Mazi promised much gold to us and another offer none there’d take, however worthy any might think themselves. Fly up to Heaven . . . older now, I still wouldn’t have taken it.

The shadow came like he said, Nymyr’s hand reaching out for old Ureh. We watched, certain as before that we’d been on a fool’s quest.

Aah, what fools we were to believe that!

I recall the shadow. I recall the shimmering. How the ruins suddenly looked alive again. How the lights glowed inside! Swear I still will that I heard the voices of folk, but couldn’t see any!

“I’m coming . . .” Those were Master Mazi’s last words, but not to us, though. I remember them still, and I remember how we thought we saw the glitter of the gold that he’d told us about again and again—but not one man would enter. Not one man would follow. Master Mazi went it alone.

We camped there, hearing the voices, hearing some of them call to us, it seemed. None of us would go, though. Tomorrow, I says to the others, tomorrow when Master Mazi comes out and shows all’s well, we’ll go in and get our fill. One night, it won’t matter.

And in the morning, all we saw were ruins. No lights. No voices.

No Master Mazi.

Lord Hyram, I writ this down like I agreed and it goes to the Zakarum—
    “The clues are in the manuscript of Humbart Wessel! For these living mortals to ascend, Juris Khan and his sorcerers had to cast a spell like no other. They had to bridge the gap between this plane and that of Heaven. In doing so, they created a place in between—in the form of this shadow Ureh that Gregus found again years later!”
    Diablo it had been who had gazed most at bright Ureh from his monstrous domain, who had most been offended by its glorious existence. Order could be brought forth from the chaos created by Baal, and the hatred of Mephisto could be mastered by any man with strength, but to have no fear of fear itself—such a thing Diablo could not believe and would not stand.
    “Something came out, tore him apart, and moved so quick none of us saw it much at all!”

“Was a cat!” insisted another man. His expression turned dumbfounded. “A huge, hellish cat . . .”
    ...a throng of pale, spectral forms with drawn faces and hollow eyes...

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    I've read the three novels from Diablo: Archive (Legacy of Blood, The Black Road, The Kingdom of Shadow) few years ago. I've also read Moon of the Spider. Sin War isn't yet translated in my country, I'm thinking of buying original - eng. ver. Because all Diablo novels are awesome.

Idea about Ureh is really interesting. Keep it hot!
    Anyone noticed that Ureh is just next to Caldeum, that's pretty suspicious.

Also does this look like a ruined city to you?

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/artwork/ss47-hires.jpg

:o That's the same city! Its got the same towers on either side of it. You can't tell if its ruined though because the details aren't exactly there. But the state of the ruins depends whether its in shadow or not. In sunlight its a ruined city, but in shadow the city comes to life and everything is perfect.

How did I miss that? I really should look at the DIII website more often.

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    Assuming D3 is set after the events in "The Kingdom of Shadow", we know about Ureh:
    - Ureh is in the shadow of a mountain peek, ie: not on top of a mountain
    - Ureh is a ruin, since the "live" Ureh is cast into anoher dimension (presumably between Hell & Sanctuary)

So far, in no picture I have seen that. On the other hand, it might just as well be that Ureh found some way to anchor itself in Sanctuary once again and the player is supposed to clear it, and the mountain that casts the shadow just isn't visible in the artwork...

Interesting topic though!
    they bear a striking resemblance.
    My many sigs!

Has anyone ever seen the cow kings dance well i have its right here! http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cd2wyKQm13I

Oh and do you wanna see the new cows in d3 here they are
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=TpMAqQ_pc0I

/l、
    (゚、 。 7
     l、 ~ヽ ------CAT IM A KITTY CAT AND I DANCE DANCE DANCE
    ..じしf_, )ノ AND I DANCE DANCE DANCE!!!

Come stay awhile and..its time for shedding our enemies blood not idle talk aww no one ever listens... lol
    I posted about this not too long ago on the official WoW forums.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=7903646454&sid=1
    Quote from "Risingred" »
    I posted about this not too long ago on the official WoW forums.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=7903646454&sid=1

Just in case ... Risingred, first time I heard about a comparison between the Diablo 3 Cinematic and Ureh in Kingdom of Shadow was from Atrumentis, who in turn told me Daemon brought up the topic. I just checked up my Forum Private Messages. This was brought up to me on July 4th. That same day I contacted Richard A. Knaak, but he can't talk about Diablo 3: confirm or deny.

I have contacts in Pocket Books, they have tried to ship a review copy of Diablo Archive to me, but I missed the pick up. They sent the copy again and I got the Diablo Archive somewhere around July 10th. At least I posted the Diablo: Demonsbane review on July 14th -- so that gave me a few days to read it. I started reading Kingdom of Shadow right after Demonsbane to verify what Atrumentis had told me earlier by myself and to find out how viable that could be.

This is what Atrumentis sent me via PM on July 4th:
    Hey, just in case you weren't already aware, I thought I would just mention to you that it seems like we will be visiting Ureh in DIII.

I have deducted this conclusion from observing the Cinematic Teaser.

The third scene shown is a huge city next to a river and on the side of a mountain, as well as near other mountains. The city also seems somewhat ruined. And while we see it, the girl says "...shadow crawls across our world".

Note that Ureh is a city on the side of a massive mountain (Mt Nymyr), there are also other mountains nearby, there is a river next to it, and the city is currently in ruins. Also, the city comes alive when the mountain's shadow crawls across it.

Judging by the remarkable similarities, this city indeed appears to be The Lost City of Ureh! We might be visiting the famous Ureh in DIII! That might also mean that we will get to see Zayl the Necromancer, Lord Juris Khan, his beautiful daughter Atanna and ghoulish monsters. Or maybe we will visit it, thinking its safe, just as Captain Kentril Dumon did?

Remember that Ureh is the featured city in The Kingdom of Shadow novel by Richard A. Knaak, and can be found on both the DII and DIII map.

‘The Light among Lights’? The most pure of realms in all the history of the world, built upon the very slope of the towering mountain called Nymyr? Aye, captain, there it stands—and, for our needs, just in time, if my calculations hold true!”

Gasps came from behind Kentril. The other men had finally caught up, just in time to hear the sorcerer’s words. They all knew the legends of the realm called the Light among Lights by the ancients, a place fabled to be the one kingdom where the darkness of Hell had feared to intrude. They all knew of its
    story, even as far away as the Western Kingdoms.

Here had been a city revered by those who followed the light. Here had stood a marvel, ruled by regal and kind lords who had guided the souls of all toward Heaven. Here had been a kingdom so pure, stories had it that it had at last risen whole above the mortal plane, its inhabitants transcending mortal limitations, rising to join the angels. “You see a sight worthy of the loss of your men, captain,” the Vizjerei whispered, extending one bony hand toward the ruins. “For now you are one of the few fortunate ever to cast your eyes upon one of the wonders of the past—fabulous, lost Ureh!
    Oh you mistake me, my friend. I was just pointing you to that thread to further the discussion. I wasn't trying to take credit for anything.
    Actually, MD, I think you're getting the two theories I sent you confused. It was the theory about Imperius that Daemaro suggested and I supported. This Ureh theory however was an idea I came up with on my own, though I'm sure he agrees with me (we seem to think alike lol). And for the record, I originally posted it in this thread before I sent it to you.

And I assume by 'Daemon' you mean Daemaro, because there is no user by the name of Daemon.

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    Actually, MD, I think you're getting the two theories I sent you confused. It was the theory about Imperius that Daemaro suggested and I supported. This Ureh theory however was an idea I came up with on my own, though I'm sure he agrees with me (we seem to think alike lol). And for the record, I originally posted it in this thread before I sent it to you.

And I assume by 'Daemon' you mean Daemaro, because there is no user by the name of Daemon.

That thread you linked was a great read, bud.
    Glad to see there's still people left in the community with a level head. Rock on.
    Quote from "Medievaldragon" »
    There is no artwork in the books. This Kingdom of Shadow is an entertaining yet contradicting tale that can make one go nuts trying to figure out what's going on.

Totally agree with you here Medi; there were lots of times in KOS where I had to read parts over and over cause I was soo confused of what was going on. Almost done with Birthright; want to be all caught up with the lore by the time the game comes out. Oh and I didn't see Demonsbane at the Blizzard shop; is it really that rare or just not supported by them?
    Quote from "dunhac82" »
    Totally agree with you here Medi; there were lots of times in KOS where I had to read parts over and over cause I was soo confused of what was going on. Almost done with Birthright; want to be all caught up with the lore by the time the game comes out. Oh and I didn't see Demonsbane at the Blizzard shop; is it really that rare or just not supported by them?

Demonsbane is an e-book on Amazon and is included in the new diablo archives book
    Quote from "BrutalBarbarian" »
    Demonsbane is an e-book on Amazon and is included in the new diablo archives book

Ah ok Mustve missed that. This is a really cool discussion; a lot better than the threads where no matter what someone has to put in a complaint about something. Glad to see that our community can still have inteligent, progressive and imaginative discussion rather than bickering. Hmmmm....wonder if it would be possible to pick out other locales from the artwork that's mentioned in the lore? I'm agreeing that this one looks like Ureh to me, even the artwork that Veltras posted. I'll have to look at the artwork again and see if I can pick out what other places might be.
    Kingdom of Shadow is the hardest of the books to place in the timeline. The best evidence I could come up with was actually from a lack of evidence.

Kingdom of Shadow is a prequel to Moon of the Spider. So we know it occurs before the Moon of the Spider but since there is no mention of the Worldstone (where as Moon of the Spider clearly talks about the Worldstone) it is assumed that this book takes place before it is destroyed. Zayl traveled from Ureh to Westmarch and would have likely had to pass through the Rogue Monastary (apparently the only path to Westmarch if traveling through the twin seas, which Zayl very likely would have). With Andariel and many other demons out and about during DII, and no mention of a hazardous journey to Westmarch, it is unlikely that he was traveling during the events of Diablo II, but was actually in Ureh at the time. Its more likely that Zayl left Ureh to travel to Westmarch after Diablo II, which means that the main events of The Kingdom of Shadow must have happened at the same time as Diablo II and the destruction of the Worldstone.

As I said, I place Ureh here because it doesn't have a quote to support itself.

Interesting theory, but it seems a little odd that the Kingdom of Shadow could have taken place during or after the events of Diablo II. This is because (spoiler) Diablo himself plays a huge role in the book, and while he was busy traveling and releasing his brothers in DII, I doubt he would have had much free time to influence the events of Kingdom of Shadow. That is, if I understand the story correctly. Big spoiler coming this time, beware!

Diablo had influenced Juris Khan long before the events of Kingdom of Shadow (long in terms of the mortal plane, not the world in which the true Ureh existed). However, as I understand the ending, Diablo himself basically POSSESED Juris Khan or at least his ethereal projection. In order to do this, Diablo must have been actively performing some spell at the time. Also, he intended to enter sanctuary via Ureh. This to me does not make sense if he was already IN sanctuary, even masquerading as the dark wanderer.

Spoiler over. Now it seems to me that if Diablo was able to influence these events, he must have been alive and unoccupied. This rules out anywhere from DI to the end of LoD (because who knows what happened when the worldstone was destroyed). This brings up another point, however. How long was Diablo trapped below Tristram before the events of DI? I never (regretfully) played DI and I am very iffy on the lore around that game. Anyway, the point remains, I doubt this took place anywhere between DI and LoD. It could, however, have happened after LoD, because (to my knowledge, I haven't yet read it) Moon of the Spider mentions the destruction of the Worldstone, but doesn't give any time frame. So it could have been years after LoD, or even the 20 years until D3. Who knows, it could be after that for all we know! Imagine visiting Ureh in D3 before Kentril Dumon and company visited it. That would certainly give me the heebie jeebies.

As to the original point of the thread, I think it is very likely we will be visitng Ureh. Those images look very alike, as does the third picture from above. Also, Ureh being on the map is a good sign. Great find MD and all!
    I just finished Moon of the Spider. It was AWESOME! The end is left open to another possible book which Zayl as well as Salene could possibly be in, I hope that Blizzard allows this, as this was the best book from the Diablo series I have read so far. All that's left to read now is the Sin War Trilogy, but I don't know when I'll read them. I've already spent too much money as it is.
    "This is the triumph of man:

Where there is truth, he must find.
    Where there is destruction, he must rebuild.
    Where there is love, he must protect."

World's Fair Exhibit

"God gave us memories, that in life's garden we may have June roses in December."

John Barrie

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes