Kingdom of Shadow - Lost City of Ureh

Thanks Medievaldragon, this was a great read and I now plan on buying the Archive!
    Diablo 3 PC (Built and ready to rock!)
    Proc: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz; Overclocked~3.8GHz
    RAM: 8 GB G.SKILL (4x2 GB)
    GPU: EVGA Core 260 (896 mb)
    well, I missed the whole speculation about the possibility of Ureh.
    But as I am looking at it right now, the screenshot definatly has something about Ureh, and I do believe that actually is Ureh. Man that would be so damn great, if we can go to Ureh in D3. Loved the book ( zayl and humbert ftw!)
    **Lets get Chinese eyes**
    I'm currently reading the first book of the archive(first time ever!).

I've never been able to purchase the books, as I have no credit card(to order them), but I happened across the archive the other day, and didn't even hesitate to buy it.

I've always been fascinated with Diablo lore, and I'm already more than half way done with The Legacy Of Blood.

To those that have not read these books, seriously, find the time too. Although they are not necessarily events that have anything to do with the events depicted in the games, this does not mean they have nothing of value lore wise.

If your at all interested at Diablo lore, the archive is a good start. Hell...thats why blizzard released it....all the stories are cannon lore, thus what they depict can easily influence the happenings of D3.

Now I just need copies of the Sin War...although I already know a lot about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    So I picked up the Archive today and I must say, being already 50 pages into The Legacy of Blood, that this is very good work! I had a hard time putting it down as I sat in Barnes and Noble in an uncomfortable chair! I've got the next few days down and will be reading it while I have the time. :cool:

If you have $17 go pick up the archive... so far it's definitely worth reading, and should keep you somewhat busy until D3 comes out. What better way to pass the time before then by brushing up on your Lore?
    Diablo 3 PC (Built and ready to rock!)
    Proc: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz; Overclocked~3.8GHz
    RAM: 8 GB G.SKILL (4x2 GB)
    GPU: EVGA Core 260 (896 mb)
    It certainly seems possible that this is Ureh. It would be cool if it was.

As far as to why anyone would read the books...

They are considered Diablo lore. The Sin War Trilogy gives a good overview of the storyline followed by the game and the books are fun to read. Unless, of course, you're not into reading for enjoyment. I love the world of books, they are always my pal when I need to escape the real world for a while. Besides that, the books are good.
    "Fiat justitia, ruat caelum"

Wow never put that one together...that would be really cool to see Ureh and have Zayl in there as he was one of my favorite characters from the book. Hey anyone think of the possablility that since Diablo III is obviously after D2 if the expansion or next game (or possibly somewhere in DIII) would be during the Sin War books? Just thought about that since they said the books are now official canon and before they announced I thought for sure the game would be a prequel due to the more recent release of the Sin War trilogy. Either way guess it's good that they now have a lot of stories and places to use.
    Quote from "Medievaldragon" »
    Zayl the Necromancer is in The Kingdom of Shadow, so these are events that happen somewhere between Diablo II and Lord of Destruction (maybe). I haven't read all the book yet to find any clues as to the timeline.

Diablo 3 happens 20 years after the worldstone is shattered by Tyrael. Maybe we get to visit the ruins of Ureh in Diablo 3. I won't say I am infallible, but I like to follow and stick to my hunches. I had a hunch Blizzard would announce Diablo 3 as a hack'n slash RPG at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitationals, instead of a MMO.

This time around, although Knaak won't say a word when I ask him, I do have a hunch based on what he said back on October 2006. Knaak: "Zayl has been fun and has a big following. Blzzard has some ideas for him already..."

Awesome. Zayle is certainly one of my favorites aswell. It would be nice to see him pop up as an npc, maybe even get to interact with him in a fight or something
    "I want to say something but I'll keep it to myself I guess and leave this useless post behind to make you aware that there WAS something... "
    -Equinox

"We're like the downtown of the Diablo related internet lol"
    -Winged
    I just recently found out about these books, and the archive - I now for sure am going to buy it as soon as I am done with the current books I am reading. Thanks for the post.
    Quote from "xXAvariceXx" »
    I've never been able to purchase the books, as I have no credit card(to order them), but I happened across the archive the other day, and didn't even hesitate to buy it.

You can create a paypal account if you have a bank account. It would be a matter of searching for a bookstore that accepts paypal payment.
    Awesome! Can't wait to visit Ureh in Diablo III :cool:
    To me it sounds like our way to ascend to Heaven in order to help the Archangels with the Hell invasion is probably heading to Ureh. In short, our main transport to Heaven's gates. My opinion.

Update: I updated the first post. Seems they aren't in Heaven after remaking the spell when the shadow engulfed the ruins. Gregus Mazi betrayed Ureh. The ethereal city floats in limbo. I will keep reading.

Update: Seems Gregus Mazi didn't betray them. The tale has fractured into many deceiving events that keep you wild guessing, contradicting your own suspiscions and driving you to insanity as a lector. Mazi seems to have been a victim with good intentions. However, one word escaped his lips: Diablo.
    There's a lot of interesting theories going on around here.

This may be unrelated, but I remember during the WWI that they said something about the Race from which the Rogues originated and I thought it was related to this city for some reason I can't remember.

Diablo III - World Lore and Environment Art Panel

Caldeum
    Leonard Boyarsky - Lead World Designer of Diablo III began the discussion panel for the

Diablo III World Lore and Environment Art Panel. Skovos and Caldeum are some of the zones to

be explored in Diablo III. Skovos is an ancient city where the rogues come from.

- Richer History and Deeper characters: NPCs will say where they come from to make it feel

like you are playing in a living world to reflect their culture and philosophies. Caldeum

population have a eastern kind of look.

EDIT: I just check the map and Skovos is actually one of the Amazon Island, is it possible that the Rogues actually came from the Amazon?

Can't wait to go the Amazon Island :D

Very interesting info guys, I can see right now I'm going to have to read the books lol.

Nothing happens to you, but everything happens for you.
    Those book have any artwork ?

http://www.hangarnet.com.br/forum/index.php?showtopic=70115 D3 wallpaper contest
    There is no artwork in the books. This Kingdom of Shadow is an entertaining yet contradicting tale that can make one go nuts trying to figure out what's going on.
    I assumed this was Harrogath because in the same scene we see a crumbled statue. Looked like one of the Ancients to me in their dormant state.

Currently reading the The Sin War (Scales of the Serpent, bk2).
    Make sure to 'Vote this post up' for fellow contributors that make good discussion!
    And don't forget to stay a while - and listen!
    Quote from "Veltras" »

EDIT: I just check the map and Skovos is actually one of the Amazon Island, is it possible that the Rogues actually came from the Amazon?

Can't wait to go the Amazon Island :D

Actually, I think that was just a typo. Whoever wrote that likely meant to write 'Amazons'.

I assumed this was Harrogath because in the same scene we see a crumbled statue. Looked like one of the Ancients to me in their dormant state.
    If it was Harrogath, it would be destroyed a hell of a lot more than that, and it would be covered in snow. Did you see that stormy dark crater in the trailer? It looks like the destroyed Mt Arreat to me, and Harrogath was on Mt Arreat. Pretty sure its long gone now lol. Poor Barbarians.

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    WoW fans are nerds. Diablo fans are freaks.
    Quote from "Atrumentis" »
    Actually, I think that was just a typo. Whoever wrote that likely meant to write 'Amazons'.
    If it was Harrogath, it would be destroyed a hell of a lot more than that, and it would be covered in snow. Did you see that stormy dark crater in the trailer? It looks like the destroyed Mt Arreat to me, and Harrogath was on Mt Arreat. Pretty sure its long gone now lol. Poor Barbarians.

I wouldn't be too sure.

In the trailer we see a mountain with a huge hole in the side of it. In some of the artwork shots we see the same image but with a huge crater in the ground with vast armies emerging from it. Where else could these onlooking 'Barbarians' be? And where is the crater?

You can see at the foot of the citadel there's ruins. It could be the ruins of the lower tier of the citadel. There's more ways to look at this information, I'm giving you another one.

Make sure to 'Vote this post up' for fellow contributors that make good discussion!
    Lol, sorry? I appreciate you giving me another way to look at it, but I don't quite understand it. Could you elaborate a little bit?

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    WoW fans are nerds. Diablo fans are freaks.
    I will try to. But don't take me as serious as you think, it's just an idea that is based on my somewhat lack lore knowledge but from what I know it seems plausible.

If I may, I will direct you to this thread where it shows what I am extracting in it's full extent. Most of it is outdated now but the part I am trying to show you is still there.

Focus more on the images and -some- of the text than the whole thing.

Quote from That thread.. »

Now this scene is also in the cinematic trailer, it is definitely a different scene all together.

In the cinematic trailer you only see a big huge ass volcano. Obviously to those who played Diablo II - the walls and warriors on them is Harrogath, the last Barbarian Stronghold before Mt. Arreat, so this is where the Worldstone used to be.

Don’t believe me? Look at this!

Oh boy! It’s the freaking Worldstone and what’s that marching there at the summit - armies with fires and siege towers and weapons in between? Now go and check the cinematic trailer again.

Here’s another picture. Now the Worldstone has totally submerged into the Earth, and a large pit of reddish lava is in its place.

And again we see the armies marching towards Harrogath.

A close up taken from the cinematic just to prove my point

---

Where do you think these Barbarians (?) are standing? Harrogath? What do you think that mountain is? It's spiky when it is standing, but when it falls it is a pit of lava and armies of Hell are saw to emerge.

On first look we might think that the armies are waiting for whatever emerges from the area as they're in formation but if we look at that image and the cinematic trailer we see a few likenesses to the two scenes shown i.e. bonfires on the ground, siege towers and siege weapons.

I'm not going to dismiss the fact that it could be entirely wrong. There's a couple of things that work against the idea in ways such as; Harrogath is destroyed or the likeness between the citadel we see in the trailer and the cover art of the Kingdom of Shadow book. The citadel also looks more like a city than a defensive foothold and the area the Barbarians seem to be standing in the images does not correspond with the area in the cinematic. But things like that can change slightly.

Is this clear?

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes