Follower dialogue articles

Sojourna and I have been discussing on a small scale the placement of the follower related dialouges and follower interactions, which give a better perspective of who the follower is and also on the player character due to their different background and the way they interact with the followers.

So far i started just adding those dialogues lines to the main Templar article - to see how it goes.

However Sojourna has accurately noticed that the article is being flooded with tons of lines (fact) and it will be even more after the game is shipped because there will be lots more dialogues with the follower.

Also, the dialogues contain spoilers when referring to quests etc, which may not be what the specific reader wants to see.

Sojourna's quote from Templar Talk:

"I'm thinking that we could have an overview page for the Templar that contains his lore/background, follower skills, and keep the dialogue that is used for when you first pick up that Follower. Then just possibly put a page link within the dialogue section saying something like, "go here if you want the rest of his epic chattiness". Then a newcomer can just grab a look at whatever without needing to scroll down or use the CTRL+F function. And for the more advanced who may like meatiness and don't care about possible spoilers, they can just look through the dialogue without having to deal with information they don't want (such as the Templar skills box).

The dialogue page itself can then be sorted by quest, random chat, and then... I don't know, maybe even have those sound files Wynthyst uploaded by placing them wherever. :)"

I admit i totally agree with this, but also as Sojourna suggested we could bring this up here to get your perspective on this before we go and implement this.

Cheers,
    Dretar
    Demon Hunter DPS calculator - http://www.diablofan...dps-calculator/
    As you probably already noticed, there are a ton of interactions for each character's dialog - we have between static NPCs in town, each playable class, the possibility of having different followers at the moment, dialog triggered by specific points in the game (locations or monsters) and just spontaneous chat (class-specific again). Since we are on the verge of updating a massive amount of data, you might want to hold off on adding new stuff for now.

Regarding how to display it, I would recommend taking a look at the dialog template I implemented for the quests. It's a good idea to use a template for something that you're going to be repeating over and over. You might want to make a separate page for the dialog section of the Templar, and transclude it in, like it's done here:

http://www.diablowiki.com/Barbarian
    http://www.diablowik...arbarian/Skills

but in the end it has to all get displayed on a single page, which could make it really long. If that is a concern, you can implement a collapsible section using this template:

http://www.diablowik...mplate:Collapse

And finally, don't be concerned about spoilers.. the objective of the wiki is to be all-inclusive and readable. If it's a page on the Templar it should have everything about the Templar.
    Come and help our Diablowiki grow! Here's how you can contribute
    O_O I didn't know there even was a collapse template. That will definitely help with cutting down on length if it's needed.

Not sure how to create a navigation box(?) if that's what you're referring to, but there's ways to find out... :ninja:

And finally, don't be concerned about spoilers.. the objective of the wiki is to be all-inclusive and readable. If it's a page on the Templar it should have everything about the Templar.

Oh I'm not worried about spoilers on the website; it's a wiki, after all. I was simply trying to differentiate the types of users we can expect to be visiting the place.

Anyway, I'm not planning on doing anything major at this point since it's only about a month before Diablo III is released. Just thought it was something that ought to be brought up before chaos is unleashed. :P

Yeah, a bad pun there.
    Quote from Apoc

but in the end it has to all get displayed on a single page, which could make it really long. If that is a concern, you can implement a collapsible section using this template:

http://www.diablowik...mplate:Collapse

A really simple thing we should start with is simply to place the dialog at the bottom of the page and move the skills up. That'll still make it long, but all relevant game information will be available up top.

Still, I'm pretty confident adding all follower dialog to one article will make it well over 100k big. It will be a lot of loading, perhaps having dedicated "dialog" page for followers and classes might be a good idea eventually? We could see how dialog develops once the game is released first though.

Quote from Sojourna

Not sure how to create a navigation box(?) if that's what you're referring to, but there's ways to find out...

Basic ones can be made from DiabloWiki.com - Template:Navbox Template:Navbox. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out I don't think ;)
    DiabloWiki.com - PlugY PlugY for Diablo II allows you to reset skills and stats, transfer items between characters in singleplayer, obtain all ladder runewords and do all Uberquests while offline. It is the only way to do all of the above. Please use it.

Supporting big shoulderpads and flashy armor since 2004.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes