Ultimate Random Chat Thread [URT] v4

That's why if I happen to catch an intestinal parasite if I go over seas, I have a back up plan.

Fire Eater Hot Wings from Cluck U!

Doctor: I'm sorry to say this, but you are positive for hook worms. If you will give me a minute, I'll write out a prescription for you to kill the parasite.

Me: No need! Honey! I have a date with fire eaters tonight! I'm gonna burn the fuckers out of me. :evil:
    Just as the Scorpion hunts...
    Silently Lurking...

"Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted." ~ Ezio Auditore de Firenze
    Food for Thought

Warning: Don't read the following, unless you know Ezio's full life story, including the very end.

Why is it that, a man in much better shape than any of us and getting tons more exercise than any of us do and yet, he still ends up with a heart condition that ultimately kills him?

Next time my doctor tells me to exercise more, I'm bringing this up.
    Silently Lurking...

Quote from Lt. Venom

Food for Thought

Warning: Don't read the following, unless you know Ezio's full life story, including the very end.

Why is it that, a man in much better shape than any of us and getting tons more exercise than any of us do and yet, he still ends up with a heart condition that ultimately kills him?

Next time my doctor tells me to exercise more, I'm bringing this up.

Did he die of a heart condition? I didn't know that! SPOILERS DUDE!!

I'm kidding, I'll never play that game :P

Thanks ScyberDragon!!! you're awesome!!:D:D
    Is Ezio the guy from assassin's creed?
    Bashiok - Blizzard Representative - 08/01/2011 -"So how many skill combinations are there now? Well taking into account 6 active skills, all the rune combinations, and 3 passives we currently expect each class to have roughly 2,285,814,795,264 different build combinations."

"Hey, I thought you'd like the witty irony of grub-on-glowie violence!"
    Quote from proletaria

...from the other thread before I got lambasted by the idiot peanut gallery. :facepalmsmile:

Since you mentioned the patch had made improvements I have been playing nightmare mode in D3 to see if I'd like it any better. Like I was saying earlier the real test is when you hit the goat men after taking down Leoric, that seems to be where the mini-bosses really pick up steam and the pack of mongrels have the ridiculous 80's arcade style stationary spinning arcane laser beams.

I made a nightmare mode game play video below, it shows regular monsters and then the mini-bosses as I call them. You can see I'm on my way to fighting Leoric; the normal monsters are what I would expect for nightmare mode, I'm totally good with this. Then when I get to the mini-bosses even before hitting the fields I can already tell they are well over the top of what mini boss fights were in D2. As you can see I take a few hits to see how much damage they inflict which is also what I about expected as D2 had mini-bosses like that as well.

What annoys me is you have to shoot them fricking forEVer to kill them. In D2 only a few mini bosses, like certain zombies and an occasional succubus had to be shot countless times to be taken down, even fewer of those bosses could and would chase you down. In D3, it's obvious every damn mini boss can practically chase you down, and they need to be shot like 100 f***ing times to be taken out. Also nothing seems to really slow them down, neither my caltrops, or my mine trap has much affect. Also you can see even rain of vengeance doesn't have too much affect.

Sure I can play the game like this. Is it enjoyable for me? No, it's redundant and annoying to me. That type of game play is not what made me like D1 and D2. There have been a lot of other people who have complained about D3 along these lines. I think that is why Bashiok in his recent apology mentioned they are considering something like the 'players 8' command which lets people set monster difficulty IMO. I can only hope they do something about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNv5xpu41NM
    Hey, guys. I'm gonna tell you the story of how I got fucked over and lied to.

So I went on Craigslist looking for a job and I found this thing that looked kind of promising; warehouse position, little to no experience required, eleven bucks an hour, full time. So me, knowing that I shouldn't hold myself back from something I may fit well in, shot the dude an email detailing why I'd be a good fit along with my resume.

The dude emails me back and says that, while I wasn't a good enough fit for that particular position due to my lack of job experience (go figure), there was another "position" available at a recycling facility where I'd be sorting recycable materials in hot, dusty conditions. We arranged to have a "sit-down" to talk about it.

Turns out the dude worked for a staffing agency. I figured this out before I sat down with him, but I didn't know the conditions on which we would talk about this "position" he had "lined up" for me. I get to the place where he works and has me fill out a huge application. Up until that point, I didn't realize that I was applying for a "right to call in for work." He had me under the guise that I was applying for the position we talked about. After I finish filling out the app, we sit down and he makes absolutely no mention of the position we talked about. He just says that they're an agency that puts people to work when they call in and he said that, if I did want work on "one of my days off" (which was even more insulting cause he knows I don't have a job), I'd have to call in at five in the morning and hope that there is something I can do.

You can see why this is something I don't want to do. I know that solid positions are kind of hard to come by nowadays (especially since vastly overqualified people are taking the jobs that teens nowadays should have gotten), but I needed something that I could rely on and would get me solid hours.

If anyone wants to throw some advice my way, it'd be much appreciated. My parents don't think it's a good idea to continue association with this place, but I just wanted some other opinions as well. I feel very cheated and, frankly, I want no part in this. If anyone sees any sort of value in this, then I'd be happy to hear your opinion.

I hate the way you cling to ignorance and pass it off as innocence
    Well the only value is calling in and hoping to make a few bucks here and there. I don't think it's worth the headache though if you're still living at home and it may end up costing quite a bit of gas money depending on where you're needed.
    Yeah, I'm still living at home, all that good stuff. I just inherited my dad's '86 Honda Accord (don't worry, he's still alive), but I definitely don't want to ship that thing all over the tri-city area; I just wanted something that was direct and reliable.

It just felt like a bad deal. I'm not comfortable with it at all.

Sounds really shady. I wouldn't have filled anything out without asking some information about the recycling job.
    I can't say that I tried, but they tried really hard to make sure I filled out every form before they even let the dude know I was there. I didn't talk to him until after I filled out every form and, even then, it was far too late to turn back.

I'm sketched out about leaving this place too because I don't know if I'll have to list it on future applications as previous work experience.

Go to college, simple as that. Local community colleges are cheap and get you the same damn education that you get at Harvard without the Million Dollar debt.

You do not have to list it as work experience. Unless it is related to the job at hand.
    Silently Lurking...

Quote from Azriel

So I went on...

[all that mess]

If anyone wants to throw some advice my way, it'd be much appreciated. My parents don't think it's a good idea to continue association with this place, but I just wanted some other opinions as well. I feel very cheated and, frankly, I want no part in this. If anyone sees any sort of value in this, then I'd be happy to hear your opinion.

You have to be careful of agencies, some them will even try to charge you money for them to go find a job for you, and then they don't :lol: serious as a heart attack. If I had it to do all over again with the benefit of starting over living at home, I would not get a job, I would start my own business, and you can do it without having to spend much money at all.

When you hand someone an application or resume, as you said in your post you "lack of job experience." When you hand someone a business card you are suddenly the expert, I shit you not. I ran my IT consulting and service company for a few years and found that out. I was quite surprised at how drastically that transformation occurred. I closed that business because an IT consulting business is a terrible business model full of headaches, essentially you are the business.

You have a computer and camera, you could open a web design company for very little, all it takes is doing some research for a good angle. So you know I'm not just giving BS advice, in about 3 years my stock options will have paid out at the start-up company I work at now, when that ends, I won't take another job ever again. I will have an online business up and running by that time.

Why am I recommending this? You are single, young, you live at home. You can afford to invest the time, failure doesn't mean going hungry or homeless and you don't have a wife that will nag you about not seeing you or risking the family's security.

It is a statistical fact that 1 out of every 10 businesses fail. To ensure 100% success, all you have to do is be willing to start 10 businesses understanding you might fail 9 times before succeeding. It probably won't take you that many times, what you learn in that process will be invaluable because each failure will help you do better next time. Failure is a necessary part of success, like falling is a necessary part of learning to walk for a baby. I assure you when you do succeed, you will make more than enough to cover the failures a 100 times over.
    Quote from Lt. Venom

Go to college, simple as that. Local community colleges are cheap and get you the same damn education that you get at Harvard without the Million Dollar debt.

You do not have to list it as work experience. Unless it is related to the job at hand.

Yeah, the thing is that I'm trying to get a job so I can actually go to community college and pay for stuff on my car like insurance and gas. I'm only 18 and, even though I don't have many responsibilities, I need to get my shit together if I'm going to be able to shift into the college life comfortably. Even after I get my Associate's, I'm going to transfer to a 4-year Uni to get my Master's in Business and Engineering.

It just makes me feel like the dude kind of molested my trust a little bit. Yes, that is the euphemism I would like to use.

Quote from VegasRage

Quote from Azriel

So I went on...

[all that mess]

Hecka OP advice, my man

The reason why I wanted to go to college is because I do want to start my own business. I can try the web design thing, but I'm not that talented of an artist. I've recently started writing reviews of albums and I'm trying to get more notoriety. I think, in the future, I'd want to sit down and actually write a book and see where that takes me.

College is a good thing and I would have loved to have gone myself in retrospect. Understand though it won't necessarily teach you how to start a successful business. My old room mate started two nutrition companies EAS and then MRI, he has 2 years community college under his belt which he never finished. He is worth millions today. Myself, I've been a computer systems and network engineer for 20 years and currently am a VP of IT systems and security with just a high school education. It boils down to determination, the initiative to educate yourself, and real life lessons even after you get the book smarts. You will get that lesson regardless if you go to school or not in the real world. I'm not down on college, nor am I telling you not to go, but I think it's important to know, you can still make it without it if you are determined.
    I played in a weekly Magic: The Gathering tournament called Friday Night Magic yesterday. I won two and lost two, and I am neither pleased nor dissatisfied with the performance of my zombie horde. I think that I could have done better had I used all of my Lashwrithe and my fourth Vampire Nighthawk. Also, I ended up winning the same random prize I won last week.

Fucking awesome! :)
    Jurassic World – 2015
    College is overrated. You will hear this one and only one time from me, a career professor and here are the situations and reasons why:

1. Degree Mills: The bachelor is currently worth fairly close to nothing. Work experience is more highly prized and post-graduate education is assumed or greatly desired anywhere that degree training is relevant.

2. Contracted Economy: The work-force grows and the number of employers has shrunk. Vegas made a very appropriate assumption in suggesting that this was a good time to start a business (although certainly no guarantee of success).

3. Public Knowledge: Almost all the information our species has, collectively, is online somewhere. Given a strong enough desire to learn about something, you can readily self-teach more than ever.

Having said all that, it is untenable that -most- [potential] students should choose this path. It would lead to a reversal of situations where degrees are over-valued, employers too numerous, and information closely guarded. I think we may indeed be trending this way with the most recent generation understanding the failures of post-secondary institutions.

I also think that a well-rounded education does make better persons, but given the option of recommending someone to attend a rather expensive four year institution or telling them to find out about their topics of interest at khanacademy.org (or some such) is a no-brainer. It is more imrpotant than ever to truly grasp what one wants out of their education before making an investment into it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

My advice would be more generalized: to find an interest and then try to shoe-horn it into a career.
    My heart has always been with writing as a career. I know that is particularly risky as most authors don't get very far, but I have a lot of ideas for novels and I feel that they are unique enough that they would make a good impression on what I have to offer. I know that saying that may seem a bit... naive on my part, but I have faith in my abilities. Everyone who has ever read what I've written has said I had a "natural talent" and that I could become a writer if I really wanted to.

I mean, at least I'm not shooting in the dark with that idea. Other people have confidence in my abilities (unless they were just trying to be nice and I suck ass at writing).

If you follow your passion you can't go wrong, you will do well because it is play to you, so you never really work.
    Quote from proletaria

College is overrated. You will hear this one and only one time from me, a career professor and here are the situations and reasons why:

1. Degree Mills: The bachelor is currently worth fairly close to nothing. Work experience is more highly prized and post-graduate education is assumed or greatly desired anywhere that degree training is relevant.

2. Contracted Economy: The work-force grows and the number of employers has shrunk. Vegas made a very appropriate assumption in suggesting that this was a good time to start a business (although certainly no guarantee of success).

3. Public Knowledge: Almost all the information our species has, collectively, is online somewhere. Given a strong enough desire to learn about something, you can readily self-teach more than ever.

Having said all that, it is untenable that -most- [potential] students should choose this path. It would lead to a reversal of situations where degrees are over-valued, employers too numerous, and information closely guarded. I think we may indeed be trending this way with the most recent generation understanding the failures of post-secondary institutions.

I also think that a well-rounded education does make better persons, but given the option of recommending someone to attend a rather expensive four year institution or telling them to find out about their topics of interest at khanacademy.org (or some such) is a no-brainer. It is more imrpotant than ever to truly grasp what one wants out of their education before making an investment into it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

My advice would be more generalized: to find an interest and then try to shoe-horn it into a career.

Very nice. I have been playing with those ideas myself for the past few years. Especially as a artist, it is cut and dry as far as the bachelor is concerned. The degree means nothing in my field. Thus, I'm actually at school to learn. Go figure lol.

Maybe, once this opinion is widely recognized as a relative truth, the approach to secondary school will evolve. As is, the system still sets under the guise of "come pay lots of money to say you have a degree with us". In other words, reputation is still important. Maybe once there is such an over inflation of degrees, the school systems might change the motto to "hey, come spend some money to actually learn something since we all know that nobody cares about what school you went to anymore!"

Not to say that such a scenario will occur soon or even ever. Just a thought. Maybe we just won't have physical schools in the future. :P

Yet, there is still an important motto to consider that holds true today. "It's not what you know, but who you know". Aside from the actual skill that I am learning, the most important thing is the people I have been connected to. And at any one of those massively prestigious schools there are certainly a few good people to know there.

Edit: I agree Vegas. And I REALLY hope that holds true for me. So far so good! :D
    "I want to say something but I'll keep it to myself I guess and leave this useless post behind to make you aware that there WAS something... "
    -Equinox

"We're like the downtown of the Diablo related internet lol"
    -Winged
    Don't you guys know the more money you pay for that piece of paper, the more you know, and the more you will make?! It works exactly like that. No exceptions.

If only.

Tell that to the masses of people with college education who are out of work.

I also remember reading some interesting statistics about the average GPS shooting way up over the years. This wasn't the exact source but it looks about right compared to what I remember.

Source: http://flowingdata.com/2011/07/19/undergraduate-grade-inflation/

It was basically just illustrating the fact that the percentage is much much higher than in the past.

So then you have to ask yourself, are people REALLY getting that much smarter, or are the grades being inflated in order to draw in more "customers" basically.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes