End of the world

also, was the end of the world really predicted? It wasn't like they made calenders all the way to the year 2012 at which they said "OK, but that's it, it's going to end here!", it's just that their way of telling the date has a fixed amount of iterations where 21-12-12 is as far as it goes.

Here's an example of how it works. If a civilization had a system to count years using 10 different number/symbols and each year must be described with 2 numbers/symbols, they could go to 10^2 = 100 years.

Just because their system didn't allow them to go higher doesn't mean they thought it would end. They simply didn't have the need for a system stretching that far.

Some of us might remember the year 2000 when computers would start to malfunction because they only used 2 digits to describe the year (so when it went from 99 to 00, the computer would think it was the year 1900). This doesn't mean that all software developers predicted the end of the computer age at 31-12-1999 :P

also, was the end of the world really predicted?

Well, frankly it has been predicted just about every year in recorded history (and doubtless many times before that). That doesn't lend credential to the prediction so much as it supports the hypothesis that anyone predicting the "end of the world," is much more likely to be a raving lunatic than anyone who has rationally theorized that something terrible is going to happen. If the latter were the case there would at least be some verifiable empirical evidence in play rather than some completely anecdotal hearsay and superstition. As we saw with Y2K, this susceptibility to brain-bending urban legends has not necessarily diminished over time.

tl;dr: A great number of people are irrational and believe in any superstition you throw at them.

I told my girlfriend I'd marry her on the 22nd...so one way or another my world will come to an end.

Best post in this thread.

Recruiting for East Realm
    Also recruiting for Sc2 on both EU and NA servers

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    It's close to 5am now in New Zealand. Those poor people. They have no idea they're now dead.
    Beyond 2012 Why The World Won't End

http:// www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

also, was the end of the world really predicted? It wasn't like they made calenders all the way to the year 2012 at which they said "OK, but that's it, it's going to end here!", it's just that their way of telling the date has a fixed amount of iterations where 21-12-12 is as far as it goes.

Here's an example of how it works. If a civilization had a system to count years using 10 different number/symbols and each year must be described with 2 numbers/symbols, they could go to 10^2 = 100 years.

Just because their system didn't allow them to go higher doesn't mean they thought it would end. They simply didn't have the need for a system stretching that far.

Some of us might remember the year 2000 when computers would start to malfunction because they only used 2 digits to describe the year (so when it went from 99 to 00, the computer would think it was the year 1900). This doesn't mean that all software developers predicted the end of the computer age at 31-12-1999 :P

There was a very nice saying I read a few hours ago somewhere:

"If the Mayans could predict the end of the world then they should've been able to predict the end of their own civilization as well."
    It wasn't actually a prediction for end of the world, just end of an era. Mayans were great astronomers and the time around 21st dec has some astronomical significance. Earths precession cycle was predicted to end at this time (not the exact day) and a new one starting of course. The full cycle lasts ~26 thousand years. Although they were wrong (new one started 2.1k years ago) I'm guessing the date has been selected because its the winter solstice and there are some astronomical alignements happening (like every year) and some more alignements connected to the center or the milky way... i don't know details and if its even correct. The mayans expected a new age to start, a new birth, fresh start for humanity, but in a more spiritual way.

Then here comes the modern man and misinterprets most of it... like usual.

It wasn't actually a prediction for end of the world, just end of an era. Mayans were great astronomers and the time around 21st dec has some astronomical significance. Earths precession cycle is ending at this time (not the exact day) and a new one starting of course. The full cycle lasts ~26 thousand years. I'm guessing the date has been selected because its the winter solstice and there are some astronomical alignements happening (like every year) and some more alignements connected to the center or the milky way... i don't know details. The mayans expected a new age to start, a new birth, fresh start for humanity, but in a more spiritual way.

Then here comes the modern man and misinterprets most of it... like usual.

Its even worse then that, Mayan didnt predict anything at all. Its a winter solstice for them and the end of a year and thats it. We also have been in that cycle, "hole" in the milky way for 300 hundread years already. There are currently no actual alignement with anything. Not that alignements with anything in the universe matters because we are too close to a sun and gravity is not something that works like that. I also lol at that theory of all the planets of our solar system being aligned causing anything, newsflash its not happening and even if it was the sun is 99.9% of the solar system weight, jupiter is heavier then the rest of the planet combined of that remaining 0.1% of weight. So everytime we are alligned with jupiter we should have died in amazing ways?

I also dont like how mayans are being degraded, they were great astronomers for their time. Their calendar do not end, it actually never ends, they arent that stupid.
    Of course alignements don't mean anything, i was just under impression the mayans thought they did (it's not like i did research on this so sorry if the info was wrong). The aligment i meant was center of galaxy+sun+earth which happens every year.

I said myself mayans were great at astronomy .... not sure if that was aimed at me ^^, but quote was mine

what do they see these galaxies with? their imagination? i think so bwahahahah

I think you need to be though some physics before you enter discussion about life in the universe and finding them. As you said finding them is very improprable, but there is no way to see them. Our telescope as you mention have very, very, very limited reach in the universe. We cant see whats on planets with them and even if we could heres the physics part, light travel at 300 000 km/s, the problem is that the light(what you can see) takes millions of years to travel to us, so what you see in your telescope is old, very old and probably gone already or replace.

Heres a video to give you an idea of what exactly we are dealing with. Heres the logical truth, is there life beside us in the universe? yes thats almost a certainty. Will we even ever find or meet them? Highly impropable.

Of course alignements don't mean anything, i was just under impression the mayans thought they did (it's not like i did research on this so sorry if the info was wrong). The aligment i meant was center of galaxy+sun+earth which happens every year.

I said myself mayans were great at astronomy .... not sure if that was aimed at me ^^, but quote was mine

Nah i was simply adding to your post that you were even understating how wrong people are. It ran even deeper lol.
    If it doesn't end on 21, next chance is just a few days later: 31, the day our calendar ends! :D
    Duders! The world is going to end in a few hours. This is not a debate, it's a proven scientific fact, even the Mayans knew it - you gotta be dumber than them to not realize it.

Fortunately, i have found a way to surpass the complete annihilation, not only that but i am able to preserve all the gold and items on my account while the rest of you are going to be wiped out clean.

So i will offer you a one time special offer - if you pass me all your gold and items, bank account details, your car keys and your wife - i will return it all to you intact after the rapture. 100% guarantee and no worries! Pass me your stuff and enjoy the end of the world like a real bachelor!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    -- Albert Einstein

Duders! The world is going to end in a few hours. This is not a debate, it's a proven scientific fact, even the Mayans knew it - you gotta be dumber than them to not realize it.

Fortunately, i have found a way to surpass the complete annihilation, not only that but i am able to preserve all the gold and items on my account while the rest of you are going to be wiped out clean.

So i will offer you a one time special offer - if you pass me all your gold and items, bank account details, your car keys and your wife - i will return it all to you intact after the rapture. 100% guarantee and no worries! Pass me your stuff and enjoy the end of the world like a real bachelor!

This guy sounds legit. I'll PM you my BnetID.
    i cant wait to get me a bunch of end of the world puntang lol
    Depending on some of the nerds you talk to on these forums, the world already did end...on May 15th.

You can have my wife, but I'm keeping the car.
    i'll die in an hour, who wants my perfect rolled cheeseburger ?

Depending on some of the nerds you talk to on these forums, the world already did end...on May 15th.

Well played sir, well played.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes