Tragedy and Video Game Violence. A TB video. Food for thought.

Hi. Just thought id share this TB video with you guys.

I agree with TB on everything he talked about. It's no surprise that the media maligns video games every chance they get. It's ironic that I gave a college presentation defending video games 2 days ago.
    Props to TB on a very real and very informational video.
    OMG, video games violence? and US laws on own weapons is not problem no? on normal real life (not US) shootings cases don't happen. Problem IS retard US laws on own weapons and US retard people.
    Quote from Dhaern

OMG, video games violence? and US laws on own weapons is not problem no? on normal real life (not US) shootings cases don't happen. Problem IS retard US laws on own weapons and US retard people.

I don't even understand what you are saying because it is written so poorly, but did you even watch the video? Also, no need to turn this into a flame-fest.
    Gun laws are OK now, and that guy does make a good point the media seems to be after video games every chance they get.

The recent school killings could have been avoided if schools in the US had Israel style security.

Calif Sen Barbara Boxer has proposed something like this, and I agree with her idea (in general,)

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/2012/12/boxer-proposes-letting-governors-use-national-guard-152409.html
    There must be something wrong in U.S. right now. I have never heard of school schooting in my country, not even in many, many other countries around the globe, yet the number of shootings in the past decade in U.S. is... astounding.

I don't know if it is the law and accessability of guns, if it is the media basically baiting other psychopats/sociopats (dont know the correct name) to repeat the scenario or the basic socio-political background of U.S. education facilities or something else. Perhaps combination of more.

But of what I am certain is that playing a video game can not turn you into a blood-crazed killing machine. I've personally played a lot of violent games, even before I was 18, yet still I grew up a peaceful human being.

This video made by total biscuit is very good, informational and spot-on.
    Quote from Westy357

Gun laws are OK now, and that guy does make a good point the media seems to be after video games every chance they get.

The recent school killings could have been avoided if schools in the US had Israel style security.

Calif Sen Barbara Boxer has proposed something like this, and I agree with her idea (in general,)

http://www.politico....ard-152409.html

And what Israel style security are we talking about exactly? One guy with a handgun standing at the main entrance of the school, when the furthest classes int he campus can get to a distance of a kilometer, how would that solve anything?

Edit: Oh and i totally agree with TB on this. And my heart goes out to the families.

Historically speaking, the proliferation of guns precludes both gun control and perceived increases in gun crime (because the media hypes the shit out of anything violent, you would hardly know violent crime is down significantly since the 1970s). I don't think the variable of video games (violent or otherwise) has had a statistically significant impact on these numbers.

It is tragic that violent crimes, especially against children, happen; however, the blame game pretty much needs to stop with the culprit and his or her immediate and/or extended family. The strongest correlation to criminality (especially violent), by an absolutely huge margin, is child abuse and neglect.

As an aside, all but one of the mass-murders since 1950 have taken place in gun-free zones where people who are permitted to carry concealed weapons must disarm. So it's rather obvious murderers are attracted to places where guns are banned. It would be extremely difficult to argue that restricting gun carrying further would make things safer. The facts seem to indicate the opposite is true.
    The second amendment is crucial because:

And remember- if you are a good guy, you will be able to do this:

So yes, let's give everybody guns and make the world a safer place.

Also kudos to those absolute badasses who procted their students. True heroes.
    just to say did any one notice that this kind of things 99% of the time happen in the us and no where else
    Quote from Nekrodrac

The second amendment is crucial because:

And remember- if you are a good guy, you will be able to do this:

So yes, let's give everybody guns and make the world a safer place.

Also kudos to those absolute badasses who procted their students. True heroes.

And how, my dear, do you believe the evil of guns is to be eradicated from the face of your beloved nation? Do you think legislatures will write magical runes upon the parchment of a new constitutional amendment and cast the vile concoctions of metal, plastic, and carbon fiber into the dark abyss from whence they came? Do you believe that no man, woman, or child will be beaten, shot, tortured, or jailed over increasing questions of firearm legality?

What you ask for when you so mock anyone against gun laws, is for guns to be used by the state. Not simply against the criminals who would use their guns (legal or otherwise) against us. Not simply against those "rednecks," who currently defend their right to own such a weapon. But to be used against the body of the entire nation. Prohibition of the means of murder in the hands of private citizens is laughable when the most prevalent group of murderers on earth wear blue or green uniforms and march under the orders of the state itself.

I will concur with you that nobody is made the safer by arbitrarily doling out guns or security guards carrying guns. However, the ignorance subsumed within the argument that the private ownership of guns is the root of all violence, or that the prohibition therein would make the world a better place... that is simply inexcusable. I don't own any guns. But I will be damned if I join the chorus of sophists convincing a frightened nation of parents and students that the answer to their problems is disarming legal gun owners and empowering the most corrupt and deadly gun owners in our society: criminals, law-enforcement, and the military.

Quote from Ashbinder

just to say did any one notice that this kind of things 99% of the time happen in the us and no where else

We have the largest and most violent state in the world. This is the best atmosphere to breed psychopathy.
    Quote from proletaria

What you ask for when you so mock anyone against gun laws, is for guns to be used by the state. Not simply against the criminals who would use their guns (legal or otherwise) against us. Not simply against those "rednecks," who currently defend their right to own such a weapon. But to be used against the body of the entire nation. Prohibition of the means of murder in the hands of private citizens is laughable when the most prevalent group of murderers on earth wear blue or green uniforms and march under the orders of the state itself.

This is what paranoia reads like.
    The problem is not guns (per say) but the rotten gun culture supported by the second amendment. Where else among the top democracies in the world do you see such rampant gun violence?
    Doesn't matter whether you wear blue or green uniform because if the other side has guns, it becomes a survival game. Shoot first and ask questions later because your life is on the line.

Quote from proletaria

And how, my dear, do you believe the evil of guns is to be eradicated from the face of your beloved nation? Do you think legislatures will write magical runes upon the parchment of a new constitutional amendment and cast the vile concoctions of metal, plastic, and carbon fiber into the dark abyss from whence they came? Do you believe that no man, woman, or child will be beaten, shot, tortured, or jailed over increasing questions of firearm legality?

There are some powerful magical runes here in the UK. We usually call them gun control laws. And you know what? They kinda work...
    I know, that's shocking.

Quote from proletaria

I will concur with you that nobody is made the safer by arbitrarily doling out guns or security guards carrying guns. However, the ignorance subsumed within the argument that the private ownership of guns is the root of all violence, or that the prohibition therein would make the world a better place... that is simply inexcusable. I don't own any guns. But I will be damned if I join the chorus of sophists convincing a frightened nation of parents and students that the answer to their problems is disarming legal gun owners and empowering the most corrupt and deadly gun owners in our society: criminals, law-enforcement, and the military.

You are surviving without guns? My goodness...Rambo would be proud of you.
    Or maybe they not attacking you because they assume you have a gun? Currently, people who have trained in firearms and combat with possibly some killing experience are hesitating and doubting their abillity to murder you because you might have a rifle in your basement.
    True jungle out there.
    My admiration for all the US members on this site has just climbed a notch higher. I did not realize that each day you guys post here might be your last. Keep the fight and battle alive my brothers.
    As soon as the UK stops having such tight gun control laws and it seizes oppressing its citizens, i will buy a gun and join the fight. As long as people don't shoot back at me that is.
    Quote from Nekrodrac

This is what paranoia reads like.

Ad hominem isn't an argument.

Quote from Nekrodrac

There are some powerful magical runes here in the UK. We usually call them gun control laws. And you know what? They kinda work...
    I know, that's shocking.

Given the divergent history of gun ownership in the UK and US, I don't think this is a valid comparison; however you are free to square that circle.

Quote from Nekrodrac

You are surviving without guns? My goodness...Rambo would be proud of you.

Again, Ad hominem isn't an argument.

I think it's quite amusing you find being restricted "for your own protection," to be so comfortable. As "gun control," is just a synonym for disarming the legally armed population to the benefit of the politically powerful (those who will always have guns) and the criminally insane (those who will always find guns).
    You find it amusing?
    Is it also amusing that there are currently no dead school kids here in the UK because somebody flipped?
    No dead movie goers or dead shoppers?
    You know what, i can definitely get used to this degree of comfort.

You don't want to let go of your guns out of irrational fear. Simple as that.
    Comparing with the UK is completely valid because it is still human beings that are involved and history of gun ownership is utterly irrelevant.
    We need to consider the legacy for the next generation. I would rather not leave them in the climate of an imaginary power balance strugggle that you currently think exists.
    Quote from Nekrodrac

You find it amusing?
    Is it also amusing that there are currently no dead school kids here in the UK because somebody flipped?
    No dead movie goers or dead shoppers?
    You know what, i can definitely get used to this degree of comfort.

So your argument is because a largely disarmed population isn't causing gun crime, a largely armed population would do the same with the onset of legislation? I know you can't be this ignorant. You realize how guns are taken away and exactly how these people react to it. What do you make of the calculus involved there? Do you think it's worth averting disasters (which have other more preeminent causes, as I articulated before) by creating more violence on a daily basis in the form of enforcing such a law?

Quote from Nekrodrac

You don't want to let go of your guns out of irrational fear. Simple as that.
    Comparing with the UK is completely valid because it is still human beings that are involved and history of gun ownership is utterly irrelevant.
    We need to consider the legacy for the next generation. I would rather not leave them in the climate of an imaginary power balance strugggle that you currently think exists.

I don't have a gun, so again, your ad hominem is a wasted straw vestige of an argument. Your illogical assertion that a direct comparison to the UK (which has never seen firearm ownership - ban or not - at a fraction of what the US has maintained through the entirety of it's history) is valid does not make your point.

Your only "struggle," for the future appears to be demanding that everyone give their uniformed bothers and sisters increasingly larger amounts of control over their daily lives. If you find this balance of power between the individual and central authority to be illusory, I invite you to wake up to the world around you.

Quote from TheDemokin

There is only one country in the world that has a high amount of school shootings, or any other type of shootings of innocent civilians... There is only one country in the world where they make movies, series, etc about hostage taking, shooting, and graphic murders... There is only one country in the world where you can eat McDonalds every day until you get fat like a pig, sue them ... ............ and WIN!!!!......

Yes, yes, we get it. You hate fat Americans with their guns etc. etc. Your opinion of the entire population, not all of whom are patriotic, fat, stupid, or supportive of the crimes you mention; only shows your own bigotry.
    I believe guns are needed not for people to protect their homes, but to make a government think twice about becoming oppressive. Just my 2 pennies.

Also, the vid was enjoyable well researched.
    Quote from proletaria

So your argument is because a largely disarmed population isn't causing gun crime, a largely armed population would do the same with the onset of legislation? I know you can't be this ignorant. You realize how guns are taken away and exactly how these people react to it. What do you make of the calculus involved there? Do you think it's worth averting disasters (which have other more preeminent causes, as I articulated before) by creating more violence on a daily basis in the form of enforcing such a law?

No, actually i don't realize it. Why don't you elaborate further- specifically how you think the people will react and how there will be more violence as a result of this law? You can skip this part by reading below by the way. No such calamity will ever happen. That is just pure end-of-the-world-apocalypse logic.

Quote from proletaria

I don't have a gun, so again, your ad hominem is a wasted straw vestige of an argument.

Maybe it's time you read and consider more carefully? You do realize i had already taken note of you not possessing guns and poked fun at it. I am clearly referring to the Amercian population here. If there is anything you do not understand please free to ask instead of being needlessly accusatory.

Quote from proletaria
    Your illogical assertion that a direct comparison to the UK (which has never seen firearm ownership - ban or not - at a fraction of what the US has maintained through the entirety of it's history) is valid does not make your point.

You are being sadly very ignorant on this matter. Please go educate yourself. Just a simple article to start off-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10220974
    It seems all you know revolves strictly around the US. There is actually a whole world out there with the same species and thus comparable behavior traits.

Quote from proletaria

Your only "struggle," for the future appears to be demanding that everyone give their uniformed bothers and sisters increasingly larger amounts of control over their daily lives. If you find this balance of power between the individual and central authority to be illusory, I invite you to wake up to the world around you.

Again the same thing.
    This keeps being repeated throughout your posts, adding fluff but with absolutely zero substance. This is what I was referring to as paranoia and irrationaly fear since you haven't given a single concrete piece evidence or even constructed a proper and logical argument that would support your pro-gun stance and negate the gun control laws. Those dark hints you've been dropping about government control amounts to nothing more than conspiracy theory and if you are into that kind of thing, you cannot be helped and I will certainly not change your mind.

Howevever, change needs to start somewhere as has been shown in the UK where national tragedies have pushed the needed legislation in place. Same thing has occured in Australia where the change has been more recent and with just as much effectiveness.
    And no, the population in neither countries has gone crazy like you keep fearing when their toys were taken away from them nor have their governments turned like the regime in Syria or N.Korea.
    Quote from Ashbinder

I did. They foolishly keep beleving in an outdated gun law. Now they are giving teachers gun lessons? Just a matter of time a teachers freaks out and start to shoot students.
    I love this game
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes