Diablo 3 better than diablo 2?

I hear all the time people saying they like Diablo 3 better than Diablo 2 and other people saying they prefer D2 to D3. What are your opinions on which one of the series is better?
    D2 has years of refinement, while D3 has a fresh coat of paint and is just starting to be tweaked and tuned. I imagine by the next expansion a lot of these debates will be non-existent as D3 will begin to really surface as the better game.

D3 has its issues right now. But a lot of games do at launch.
    should turn this into a poll, and Im gona say Yes, I <3 D3 more than D2.
    In its current form D3 is no-where near diablo 2 for playability...even if you compare The original pre expansion d2 i still feel D2 wins out....that being said you have to remember that when Diablo 2 was released it was unique except for obviously Diablo 1,there was nothing else like it so ofcourse nothing to compare it to.I played Diablo 2 on and off for 12 years...how many players can (Honestly) say they will be playing Diablo 3 in 12 years time?

Behold, as a wild ass in the desert, go I forth to my work.

I played a hell of a lot of D2 back in the day but I don't think I could bear to anymore. Those graphics really didn't age well and the skill tree is so old fashioned and hideously restrictive.

In terms of gameplay I think D3 is well ahead of D2. Blizzard has just had so much experience both in D2 and WoW with designing characters and talents and I think they (and the genre) have come a long way. I honestly can't say there's anything about D2 I really miss - except maybe Necromancers but hey it's a new game so it needs new classes. Oh and I kind of liked how you saw the terrible fate of the three original D1 heroes in D2, would've been nice if they'd snuck the D2 heroes into D3 somewhere.

For story I'd say they're fairly close. Actually in terms of story, memorability, atmosphere and general feel to the game I think D1 is still the winner - D2 improved a lot in gameplay terms but never really recaptured the simple charm of the original.

Gameplay and replayability:

D3 > D2 > D1

Story and feel:

D1 > D3 ~= D2
    Diablo 3 is Diablo 2's ugly step sister.
    O_O
    I think it is the D2 nostalgia, It was SUCH a good game for its time, and with 12 years since its release, everyone has been waiting for a sequel, but instead we get this very wierd "sequel" of a game, Diablo is now a woman (which honestly makes a lot of sense if you think about it), Tyrael is now a whiny black guy, the most badass Angel of them all Imperius gets his ass kicked in two seconds and they just plays as an annoyance the rest of the game not doing anything but little cut scenes,

The diolouge is absolutly horrible..here is some examples..

Tyrael: "I was...I..am..TYRAEL, I was an archangel of heaven" - No duh? This is Diablo 3, we know this already.

Diablo: "Look Tyrael, it's your old luetenant" Tyrael:"..." Izual: "Looks like we've both fallen from grace Tyrael" Tyrael: "..." Tyrael: "The lord of terror must not be too far now"

This game made me really dislike Tyrael....I guess what it all boils down too is...we wanted a sequel and instead we got a version of the game that someone felt would be an awesome first game. (Its actually Diablo 1, 2 and LoD combined)
    I just want a little bit of tenderness :(

^Personally I love the "new" Tyrael tbh
    Quote from DiabloMK

I hear all the time people saying they like Diablo 3 better than Diablo 2 and other people saying they prefer D2 to D3. What are your opinions on which one of the series is better?

Simple answer, both were just equally as epic. You cant compare a game that is 12 years old with a game thats just created. Diablo 2 systems are dated and all. So are graphics. Diablo 3, on the other hand, still smells like new. Again, you cant compare an unpolished game with a diablo2 fully patched and even with an expansion.

So this is my 2 cent, i dont think 1 beats the other.... the difference between them is too big (12 years) to compare.
    d2 was alot better in terms of community - i miss those days where you joined a random trade game and got spammed by the random people "N SOJ???" Now its all closed down to private games :/
    - PM me if I won -
    i should slap OP for even asking that.
    We gotta make a change...
    It's time for us as a people to start makin' some changes.
    Let's change the way we eat, let's change the way we live
    and let's change the way we treat each other.
    You see the old way wasn't working so it's on us to do
    what we gotta do, to survive.
    Tupac Shakur

100% Legit baal runners

SICK_Bambi 93 Barb (46th barb)
    SICK_Paladin 95 Necromancer (12th necro)
    SICK_ferret 95 Assassin (10th sin)
    ~~us West Ladder~~
    I didn't play D2 extensively like I have D3, but I did play it for a solid month before D3 came out to get used to the camera angle and how the genre plays.

I must admit, from that experience, D3 is lightyears beyond D2. I have been immensely satisfied with the gameplay changes made in D3, much better than D2 gameplay.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    Hive Fleet Leviathan
    I like Diablo 2 more, it's for the lone reason that I've had almost 12 years to grow attached to it. But I already knew I'd like it more even before D3 came out. Until I've spent some more time learning to truly love the game D2 will remain my favourite.

I'm sure Diablo 3 will grow on me in the time to come, then the answer will most likely be yes.
    For me its diablo 3 all the way baby! The basic game is such a vast improvement over its predecessor. And yes it has been in the blizzard oven for 10 years or so, but the wait was worth it! I don't think its finished yet, and in a years time (or maybe 2) well probably get an expansion which will put it even further ahead.

Onwards and upwards!

Also Tyreal is a bad ass in diablo 3 just as he was in D2. Remember that not everyone who plays d3 will have played the other diablo games, so its nice that they can catch up on the story. I'm sure many "n00bs" were asking. "Woah who's this dude who fell out the sky.... oh hes an angel come to help me kill diablo?!?!? Sweet!"
    D2 community was amazing. How every1 decided sojs were going to be the currency was incredible, if you wanted to know an items worth you could simply ask the how many sojs it was worth. You could join games with specific goals other than doing a quest. D3 game play is off the charts great and will improve in the coming months and years. D3 is better simply because of time and $$$. D2 LOD hit me like no other game before or since. Diablo 3 has the potential to reach the level.
    I miss the old community. Indiablo Baalruns where so funny. Because of the community i started playing hardcore and did ladderpvp.
    when i start playing diablo what is there to do? Farming items you can do it solo.
    there were so funny events like the barbar Ironman hardcore challenge.
    and of course the endless Baalruns or later keyhunts for the upgraded versions of the bosses.
    You should have made a poll.

D2 was, IMO, definitely the better game.

I'm old enough to remember when game designers laid out a framework and allowed you, the player, to decide what about the game you found fun.

These days game designers tell you what to do, in some cases quite explicitly. For example, with the recent 1.03 patch to D3, they specifically said something along the lines of "We don't want players breaking pots or farming goblins, we want them farming elite packs".

To me, that's BS. People are different and enjoy different aspects of a game. Trying to pigeonhole all of a game's players into doing the exact same thing smacks of lazy design. Basically, they don't want to flesh out the other areas of the game, so they work hard on only a few areas and then punish any player who likes the game, but prefers to do something other than what the developers intended.

While most software developers are doing this, Blizzard is leading the pack and it stinks >_
    Quote from Severed

I didn't play D2 extensively like I have D3, but I did play it for a solid month before D3 came out to get used to the camera angle and how the genre plays.

I must admit, from that experience, D3 is lightyears beyond D2. I have been immensely satisfied with the gameplay changes made in D3, much better than D2 gameplay.

Now this I find interesting. Here is someone without emotional attachment, without nostalgia, and he prefers Diablo 3. This has to say something!

Quote from Bilge

These days game designers tell you what to do, in some cases quite explicitly. For example, with the recent 1.03 patch to D3, they specifically said something along the lines of "We don't want players breaking pots or farming goblins, we want them farming elite packs".

1.0.3 was more in the lines of "We have huge problems with bots stacking GF and breaking pots so we have to do something about it. Sorry."

Also they did nothing to goblins. The only thing they did was to make elite packs effective, which they weren't prior to the patch. I hated farming goblins, will always do and 1.0.3 saved the game for me and made it many times more fun.
    I prefer D2 over D3 because D2 has that certain "feel" to it. D3 is a great game, but D2 really pulls me in (still does, when I occasionally fire it up).
    Just as the Scorpion hunts...
    Silently Lurking...

"Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted." ~ Ezio Auditore de Firenze
    D2 was better at release, although I have to say this is mostly due to it being intentionally easy. Hell mode farming could be done with terrible terrible items, class dependent, but it got a lot faster with upgrades. Nobody, regardless of how casual, really felt left out of any part of the game content because all they had to do was use an efficient skill and talent configuration to reach the minimum requirements for Hell mode. - That changed a little with LoD (immunities were such a terrible idea, i'm glad they are gone), but I don't think it's fair to bring up expansion content when talking about D3 so soon after release.

With that said, I think D3 has more than enough potential to be better than D2 became. All that's really holding the game back IMO are some itemization issues and the extremely aukward inferno transitions, ie. I can farm up to the beginning of act3 on my barb just fine, but getting beyond the keep depths I get destroyed in seconds. A more gradual stairstep pattern (even if it raised the bar for inferno in general) would be much less punishing. Both of these can be gotten around if you put in the time, but it is a big turn-off to those with strong ties to D2.

Frankly I think Blizzard really under-sold just how much of a new game D3 would be compared to its predecessor and it's coming back to bite them. Too many people put the better part of a decade into D2 and really wanted D3 to be a re-skinned version of that game. Whether they will move to appease the D2 crowd or blaze a new path with the game is anyone's guess, but to this day i'm still enjoying the game. ~100 hours on my barb and a little over 60 (iirc) on my witch doctor.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes