Torchlight - Is it worth it?

I just got it a couple days ago and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I picked it up for $5 on Steam and for any that are interested you can still get it for $5 from Steam or http://www.torchlightgame.com/ .

First off, it is a Single Player only game. If you are only interested in online play for games like this, skip it.

I don't really mind the more light hearted graphics. The only presentation issue I have with it is just how many over the top explosions,magical glows, etc. there are in battle. At times the light show makes it hard to see what's going on. That actually has me a little concerned for D3 as well, though I don't think it'll be as bad in that.

The gameplay in torchlight is good although it has a few minor flaws(constantly having to refresh buffs, can't change the controls aside from your 1-0 hot keys. Don't want 'A' to be the autotab button? Too bad. One strong point is that gold is actually valuable unlike D2. The merchants sell great equipment and you can always pay to improve your current stuff(with an increasing risk of losing all properties). Being able to send your pet back to town to sell items is handy too so you don't have to travel back all the time.

Torchlight's story is junk unfortunately. It definitely feels like it was just slapped together as an afterthought, unlike the Diablo games.

As for replay, Torchlight does use almost all randomized dungeons which is a plus, but you wont need to restart with different builds over and over like in D2. With Torchlight, any skill is functional at level 1(out of 10) and you get a lot of skill points to distribute. As a result, you basically only need to play through with each class once to see all the skills and wont feel the need to replay with different builds. This is good in the sense that you can switch it up regularly while playing and don't get stuck spamming one skill for the whole game like in D2 but again, it isn't as great for replay value. Still, I expect to get more replay out of Torchlight than I did from Titan Quest, which lacked randomized environments, causing it to lose my interest after one play-through on one difficulty.

I would consider Torchlight to be a lot better than Titan Quest, but still a big step away from D2. You probably wont get the kind of replay from Torchlight that D2 offered.

Worth $5, oh yeah. Worth $20? I guess that depends how much you expect to be bothered by less realistic, more light hearted graphics and a lack of interesting plot. If you like Diablo-esque ARPGs then I think it's worth the $20.

And as others mentioned, it is kinda neat to hear some of the sounds that seem to be taken right out of D2:P

Signature and avatar courtesy of Indestructible.
    Heh heh, I saw you playing it on Steam last night. I am watching you GAME! Bwahahahaha

-------------------------------------------
    Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
    Its 5$ now? It costs me more to rent movies...
    Its 5$ now? It costs me more to rent movies...

Well it will go back to $20 eventually, but Steam and the main torchlight site both have it on sale for the time being.

Signature and avatar courtesy of Indestructible.
    Anyone who misses out on Torchlight for $5.00 needs help, get it before it goes!!!
    You know, I originally bought the game from a vendor (DVD based), and with all of the issues with patching and such, and with the promo price of $5, I ended up getting the Steam version too. I couldn't resist XD

For $5 it's a steal. I wouldn't say it's worth more though, in my opinion. :hehe:

Currently reading the The Sin War (Scales of the Serpent, bk2).
    Make sure to 'Vote this post up' for fellow contributors that make good discussion!
    And don't forget to stay a while - and listen!
    it was just slapped together as an afterthought, unlike the Diablo games.

Lol. That is all.
    Awwww. c'mon Seth! You should know better than that. Stoaster was talking about the storyline.

If you're unsure on spending $20, Steam often has it for $5.

It's the decisions you make when you have no time to make them that define who you are.
    Your chars won't transfer.
    Torchlight is worth it - but get it from steam when it's at a discount.

Don't expect more than 30-40 hours of playtime from it, as there is little to no replay value from a single player game.
    Torchlight 2 is better than D3 in many ways IMO, played beta from both so I can say that. People saying differently has misunderstood the spirit and soul of Diablo 2, the fact that they removed the skillpoint system made it boring. I lost the good feeling that Skillpointbuilds gave me when a insane build was fun and awesome. You could choose a class and play it diffently every time, try doing that with a level based skill unlocksystem.
    The pet mechanics in Torchlight 2 is allso a factor that makes it a better game. You can sell the loot you dont need through your pet, you can teach it spells and have it as a secondary inventory and in TL2 you can make it buy simple stuff for you too.
    The loot motivates you to level up because it gives you item that is so epic but just out of reach, everytime you then get it you find a new item and you get motivated again.
    The classes feel great and skills look awesome, armor and weapons are "out of this world" cool to look at.
    Torchlight is without multiplayer but Torchlight 2 has singleplayer(offline) and Lan/online COOP with up to 4 players.
    Torchlight 2 is less than half the cost of D3 and with 1 extra game in the bag its worth it.

Torchlight 2 is the Diablo 3 us Diablo 2 fans were hoping for and D3 failed to be. Dont see me as a fanboy since im a fan of D3 but as a different game then Diablo I would never call it Diablo 3.

Prepurchase Torchlight 2 and get torchlight for free on steam. $20 well spent and they realy deliver teh gane fans want instead of tweaking it to their own needs like Blizzard did.

And D3 fanboys I know that you hate TL and TL2 but thats because you are blinded by smart commercials and cheap tricks. Blizzard is merged with Activision this should tell you all there is to say. TL is made by the dev team from Diablo 2 the best ARPG to date, Blizzard ruined their product so now Runic games is ready to avenge their franchise HAHA XD

Torchlight 2 is better than D3 in many ways IMO, played beta from both so I can say that. People saying differently has misunderstood the spirit and soul of Diablo 2, the fact that they removed the skillpoint system made it boring. I lost the good feeling that Skillpointbuilds gave me when a insane build was fun and awesome. You could choose a class and play it diffently every time, try doing that with a level based skill unlocksystem.
    The pet mechanics in Torchlight 2 is allso a factor that makes it a better game. You can sell the loot you dont need through your pet, you can teach it spells and have it as a secondary inventory and in TL2 you can make it buy simple stuff for you too.
    The loot motivates you to level up because it gives you item that is so epic but just out of reach, everytime you then get it you find a new item and you get motivated again.
    The classes feel great and skills look awesome, armor and weapons are "out of this world" cool to look at.
    Torchlight is without multiplayer but Torchlight 2 has singleplayer(offline) and Lan/online COOP with up to 4 players.
    Torchlight 2 is less than half the cost of D3 and with 1 extra game in the bag its worth it.

Torchlight 2 is the Diablo 3 us Diablo 2 fans were hoping for and D3 failed to be. Dont see me as a fanboy since im a fan of D3 but as a different game then Diablo I would never call it Diablo 3.

Prepurchase Torchlight 2 and get torchlight for free on steam. $20 well spent and they realy deliver teh gane fans want instead of tweaking it to their own needs like Blizzard did.

And D3 fanboys I know that you hate TL and TL2 but thats because you are blinded by smart commercials and cheap tricks. Blizzard is merged with Activision this should tell you all there is to say. TL is made by the dev team from Diablo 2 the best ARPG to date, Blizzard ruined their product so now Runic games is ready to avenge their franchise HAHA XD

Agreed.
    Thinking of picking this up on Steam... its on sale all the time
    Torchlight is a good game (but D2 is better) ,and on sale like every month on steam , can't wait to try Torchlight 2 with multiplayer!...
    Pick it up when it's on sale yes as it's worth the sale price, Apparently torchlight 2 is going to be really good especially with the multiplayer.
    Played TL 2 all day yesterday and it is great, definitely worth $20. By level five I had a full 3-piece set with bonuses that, you know, make a difference. Will I play it for 300+ hours? I don't know, but it is definitely fun in ways that... a competing game... is not.

Played TL 2 all day yesterday and it is great, definitely worth $20. By level five I had a full 3-piece set with bonuses that, you know, make a difference. Will I play it for 300+ hours? I don't know, but it is definitely fun in ways that... a competing game... is not.

This thread is about Torchlight 1. Notice the date stamp on the original post.
    Holy Necro batman O_O :facepalm: :necro:
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

I couldn't play torchlight 1 for more than 10 minutes. TL2 on the other hand is good stuff.
    Some people tell me I'm going to hell. I just let them know that I've already packed my bags!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes