Retirement -is it worth it?

I was really excited about this system at first. Now that I have beaten the game it seems like the whole bonus for sacrificing your character is your name on an item and very insignificant item stat increases. Fame bonus for your new toon is small as well and it doesnt seem to depend on your sacrificed toon's strength.

How will you play Torchlight. Will you use this system at all??

I think I'll probably use it to pass an item on to my next toon and then keep the old character so I can use him/her again in the future.
    "Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."
    Quote from "blood-doll" »

...your skills are a part of your character, they're one aspect of who your character fundamentally is...my cautious decisions...should give me an advantage.
    Im still not sure why exactly i should retire my character... i jsut dont get it.
    Just gives extra fame and slight item increase on a item, I'm not sure if the item can be heirloomed over and over and over to get insane stats, it just takes a lot of time though and there's really no point in a single player game.

Though once you find a REALLY awesome permanent weapon I would probably do it once.
    The stat boost is not even worth enchanting the item once, though it does lower the requirement... by ONE level.

You can do this with the same item up to 10 times apparently.

Is is easily the most useless feature in the game. It should do way more than this to be worth it.
    Yeah. It's really disappointing.

However on the plus side - stats like +X to Critical Hit, or +X to Magic Find or Experience Gain are worth increasing even that one point. The more enchantments you have on your heirloom item the better - I think they all increase once you pass the item on.

If you insert gems into it they will stay with the item but will not give bonuses.

Fame bonus seems to be the same every time. One level increase to fame which starts you off with an additional skill point.
    "Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

...your skills are a part of your character, they're one aspect of who your character fundamentally is...my cautious decisions...should give me an advantage.
    Here is a comparison of my favourite ring. Some stats are sure worth tranfering. Some are not.
    [ATTACH]1898[/ATTACH]

I hope it helps.

Why did the level requirement go down one and and change to red?
    Image removed due to its file extension: http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipposig.jpg
    Quote from "DaWg" »
    Why did the level requirement go down one and and change to red?
    Because that's what retirement does and because the person looking at the new item is a brand new player? :P
    Ahh that does make sense lol. For some reason I was thinking it was his original char and got confused. :confused:
    Image removed due to its file extension: http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipposig.jpg
    On the official forums a guy heirloomed a gem like 5 times, it did over 10k damage and added 800 armor... just for a gem.
    If you heirloom an armor like 10 times you can get gear with like 500% bonus crit damage and +100 to stats. Using the shared stash any of your characters can use it. Its an okay side feature if you want to try to get really low in the shadow vault.
    But... the problem with doing that is... it takes ages guys. Simple as that. I didn't even finish this game. I got to dungeon level 29 or 39 and just stopped and deleted it from my harddrive
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retiring.. let me get this straight.
    When you retire a character, lets say lvl 40; its passes to your new character. The items will be better after transfer and its requirement reduce. So you new character can use the items once it reach that lvl like say lvl 39.

Or is it that everything is scale down for you to use? can Someone explain how that works. I read their website and still confused.
    i think your supposed to repeatably pass it on like above

and it unlocks achievements too =3

if you care about it that is xD

Be my Buddy =^.^=
    Put it on an amulet, and pray you don't get life on it.
    That way the item is usable on all the character classes.

The reason you don't want life, is because of a bug where the health increases exponentially.

You'll get 200 health on it, 400, 800, 1600, it'll be an AWESOME item for a while, but then..... It flips into negative numbers.
    If you have it equipped, you will drop dead upon login and can never log the character in again.
    I don't think that bug ever got fixed yet either.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes