Will Guild Wars 2 live up to expectations from Guild Wars 1?

I'm pretty much finished with Diablo 3 at this point and am looking for something else to play.
    Guild Wars 1 was one of my favourite games of all time, so naturally I checked out the beta from pre-purchasing GW2.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed, but I remember GW1 taking some time to grow on me.
    What do you guys think?

This is my commentary of GW2 beta.

Will NCSoft destroy GW franchise?
    To be honest I never got into GW1, I played it quite a bit rerolled a few characters but something about it put me off. Maybe it was how empty the world felt because it was instanced. The fact you couldn't jump really annoyed me too for some reason.

I've played quite a bit of GW2 now and I'm liking what I see. Questing is different but not in a bad way I'd say it's still questing so of course it's going to be a little tedious, but the amount of customization you get in the game is pretty amazing. From skills to traits to weapon choice to armor dyes to simply being able to have a surname. I love it.

If you like PvP there's definitely fun to be had also. I don't really care for standard PvP but the World vs World vs World had me enthralled. I've spent many beta hours just firing cannons at people attacking our forts and castles.

To top that off I really love the GW system of pay once and no monthly fee, so I'll definitely be playing and I've already purchased.
    Quote from Daemaro

I've spent many beta hours just firing cannons at people attacking our forts and castles.

Oh God! This sounds great :hammy:

I never even touched GW1 but I am fascinated by what I've read and seen so far about GW2. I am seriously thinking of buying it. No doubt it is going to be a great game.

*You think you know me?*
    I've been following the GW2 beta coverage for some time now. While I never payed GW1, I am intruiged greatly by this game. The huge attraction for me is the separation of PVP from the main game. you can roll a PVP character, that is max level and given a standard set of PVP gear. THIS IS HUGE. I can't beleive other MMO's don't do this.

All to often MMO's try to balance both pvp and pve, which is extremely hard to do. In GW2 they don't need to balance it beacuse pvp is totally sepearte from pve! Awesome idea. And i await the game launch with much anticipation.
    I played GW 1 for well over a thousand, a few thousand I think. I've played GW 2 in most of the BWE and followed it for a few years. They have mostly minor problems and things that could be better. I would have liked it more if weapons came with a pool of skills to choose from instead of the set 2-3-5 skills.
    Quote from Rethical

I've been following the GW2 beta coverage for some time now. While I never payed GW1, I am intruiged greatly by this game. The huge attraction for me is the separation of PVP from the main game. you can roll a PVP character, that is max level and given a standard set of PVP gear. THIS IS HUGE. I can't beleive other MMO's don't do this.

All to often MMO's try to balance both pvp and pve, which is extremely hard to do. In GW2 they don't need to balance it beacuse pvp is totally sepearte from pve! Awesome idea. And i await the game launch with much anticipation.

I really like how they have the battleground/structured PvP which you use PvP gear in and are just the normal 5v5 type deals, and then they have World VS World VS World which is a huge battle where your stats are scaled up to everyone else and you can actually level by fighting. Your server being the best in WvWvW also provides some buffs for your server.

I gained I think 5 levels in one day on the beta mainly shooting people from the walls with mortars, cannons, arrow carts and even dropping boiling oil on them. Loot even drops from players like it would mobs. WvWvW has my heart.
    I wanted to ask you guys a question: what are your general impressions about GW2? I'm a total n00b, but i played WoW for more than 4 years. I just want to play another MMO since basically D3 (while being one of the best game i've ever played) lacks a little depth for my tastes.

How would you compare it to World of Warcraft? How was GW1 like? (i know these are kind of "too much broad" questions, but i'd like your opinion anyway)
    There's no sense in even thinking about GW1. GW2 is so radically different. Don't even think of it as a sequel honestly.

If you have any interest in themepark MMOs at all then you should definitely check this one out, especially if you can snag a free beta key somehow. I think it will be the new template that finally pushes WoW from out of center of the industry. (Just in time for Titan to sweep back in I'm sure...)
    Thanks, FoxBat. I'll surely take a look and consider grabbing it (the no subscription part frankly is a winning point).
    Quote from Daemaro

I really like how they have the battleground/structured PvP which you use PvP gear in and are just the normal 5v5 type deals, and then they have World VS World VS World which is a huge battle where your stats are scaled up to everyone else and you can actually level by fighting. Your server being the best in WvWvW also provides some buffs for your server.

I gained I think 5 levels in one day on the beta mainly shooting people from the walls with mortars, cannons, arrow carts and even dropping boiling oil on them. Loot even drops from players like it would mobs. WvWvW has my heart.

Just snagged myself a beta invite. So im really looking foward to trying out the larger scale side of the game this weekend!

@Denka: If you've played other MMO's before, a lot of the type of gameplay will be familiar to you. GW2 is ahead in my opinion due to the features it has to offer. The well thought out WvWvW combat looks totally awesome. And the character progression in the pve side of the game looks wonderful! Try out the beta if you can. it'll be well worth your time.
    Quote from Rethical

@Denka: If you've played other MMO's before, a lot of the type of gameplay will be familiar to you. GW2 is ahead in my opinion due to the features it has to offer. The well thought out WvWvW combat looks totally awesome. And the character progression in the pve side of the game looks wonderful! Try out the beta if you can. it'll be well worth your time.

Thanks. I've passed from the phase "will i buy it?" to the phase "which damned profession am i supposed to play?". Warrior, Necro or Guardian? Sigh.
    Wait until you actually try them out, I've been in all the beta events so far and I still can't decide on what class I want to play.

Hope you guys saw the giveaway in the news!
    http://www.curse.com/betas/guild-wars-2

Last I checked there were some keys left.

If you were a fan of raiding in WoW there isnt anything equivalent of that really. The game does have dungeons to do with friends, huge world bosses, and even jumping puzzles that can take hours to do that have rewards in the end.

I was in the World vs World vs World battlegrounds last beta weekend and found one of the jumping puzzles and my god they're so intricate.

I forget how many dungeons the game is launching with but I know they have easier modes and then harder modes and they scale to level. So the first dungeon will still be at least some what challenging no matter what level you are.

The main selling point for me is the really fun PvP systems, and this is coming from a guy that doesn't really even care for PvP.

The quests are still something you'll be sort of used to but instead of accepting quests they sort of play out more naturally. At one farm you'll have the option to help the farmer feed cows, water corn, or kill worms. Once you and people in the area have done enough there the quest will complete and everyone that helped gets exp. Then sometimes a giant boss worm will burst out of the ground and everyone will have to fight it, or sometimes bandits will come to burn down the hay and some people will kill the bandits while others use water buckets to put out fires.

That's just in one tiny farm of the starting zone for humans.
    I never really liked GW1. I was too into WoW when I gave it a try and found it extremely hard for some reason, I probably just sucked.

I am looking forward to GW2 though. I had no idea about the World vs world thing until coming in here today. I watched some Youtube videos just now of it and it looks freaking awesome. The only fun I had in WoW during the last year I played it was bgs. So man I just got super excited.
    I just cannot make up my mind. Mesmer, engineer, Necro!
    Quote from Daemaro

Wait until you actually try them out, I've been in all the beta events so far and I still can't decide on what class I want to play.

Hope you guys saw the giveaway in the news!
    http://www.curse.com...as/guild-wars-2

Just nabbed a beta key from here. time to install wine on my mac and hope for the best! (bored of rebooting into windoze for some programs, wine liiks promising!)
    When I became interested in GW2 I found this post over at mmo-champion:
    http://www.mmo-champ...itiated-READ-ME!

If you don't trust the link just go to mmo-champ / forums / Guild Wars 2 / and find the sticky topic.

I found a lot to be excited about and I just can't wait for the next Beta-weekend (20-22 this month).

From what I've seen and read I still can't make up my mind between Engineer, Warrior (duuh) and Guardian.
    The Guardian seems like the only profession which could be 'heal-oriented'.

Now this over here:
    http://gw2.luna-atra...s_tool/?lang=en

A very well made calculator, with which I spent a ton of time playing.
    My head nearly exploded on several occasions but it's ok now!

Edit: DenkaSaeba25, weren't you going to move to Japan or something? We had an agreement for me to carry your bags if you took me with. I had to do something for you in D3, but I guess that's all gone now. Me sad Panda! ^ ^

*You think you know me?*
    I am now torn between the Engineer and the Mesmer.

Ah wierd arcane, cloney confusey character. Or a guy with a utility belt! descisions!!!!
    Quote from Ashoto

Edit: DenkaSaeba25, weren't you going to move to Japan or something? We had an agreement for me to carry your bags if you took me with. I had to do something for you in D3, but I guess that's all gone now. Me sad Panda! ^ ^

Sad panda is sad :( But i've not moved, yet. I'm waiting for my country to go bankrupt, i'll go after that :D

The guardian is more "buff" sided than "heal" sided, from what i've seen. It's one of the few classes that can constantly apply boons, while the necro seems to be its opposite, playing with conditions (i think that malice will be good for condition build necros).
    Quote from DenkaSaeba25

Sad panda is sad :( But i've not moved, yet. I'm waiting for my country to go bankrupt, i'll go after that :D

The guardian is more "buff" sided than "heal" sided, from what i've seen. It's one of the few classes that can constantly apply boons, while the necro seems to be its opposite, playing with conditions (i think that malice will be good for condition build necros).

You guys aren't doing that well either, I know. If the opportunity will still be waiting for you, I guess you could wait a little longer :)

The Guardian will be the first profession I'll try out. Seems pretty cool.
    From what you've played, how much time did you need to get a feel for a certain profession? Two days seems like an awfully short time for anything.

*You think you know me?*
    Mesmer is REAAALLY nice at sort of giving boons too. Or can be. They can remove boons from enemies and apply them to themselves and even allies sometimes.
    Quote from Daemaro

Mesmer is REAAALLY nice at sort of giving boons too. Or can be. They can remove boons from enemies and apply them to themselves and even allies sometimes.

I was instantly sold on the meser after watching videos of...

the entry and exit portals.

speed/slow walls.

great sword knockback+jump back

ohh my goooosh gimme gimme gimme.

Stealthing into a keep to drop an exit portal. Running back to my home boys, and dropping an entry. BOOM see you world! Fun fun fun looking class.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes