Torch L 2 vs DIablo 3

Greetings there!
    As i have been playing D3 since the release, i noticed something funny!
    I didn't notice this untill now but, the original D2 creaters who left blizzard, they went and made a game called Torch Light 2. Now the current D3 developers are from Fifa 97 and wow etc, while the creators of the original Diablo series made Torch Light 2.

What i found really interesting while checking TL 2 was;

If u go to 13 mins into the video here, LISTEN to the music and the sounds - its pretty much the same as in D2!

Without noticing this before... Torch Light 2 might even beat D3 :/ - just check the video and listen to the soothing music/sounds.. Its crazy, its so much like D2!

Do you think TL 2 will beat D3?

I read some interesting facts about it aswell just now;

1. TL 2 will be online like D2, with 8 players.
    2. It has the same skill system as in D2.
    3. It has the same identify scrolls etc as in D2 (inc, uniques)
    4. It has the stat system when lvl up!

This all gives it the D2 feeling aswell, apart from gameplay and music which is pretty much obvious xD

What do u guys think? This game is to be released soon! Will you give it a try?

*Updated the 4 above* !
    Cartoon, nuff said
    Well, TL 1 was basically Diablo 2 with updated graphics (and, oddly enough, similar cartoony style art as D3). I'm sure there are updates to make TL2 different then TL1, but my guess is it will be more in line with what a lot of people wanted D3 to be - D2.5. If that's what you really want (I'm not thrilled with it), then TL2 is what you want.

And yes, it has online multiplayer, but from what I've heard, it's not going to be like D2 or 3 with a realm wide economy and trading, if for no other reason then mods. Also, it doesn't do any server side storage, so there will be people running around with massively overpowered modded in weapons (last time I was looking for TL mods, about a month or two ago, one of the top 5 was a mod that made every...single...item...dropped be one of the uniques in the game).
    well i was really disappointed in TL 1 it couldnt hold me at all and i shut it off after 1 hour, i tried it again right before D3 hit, but the same thing it just didnt have "the thing"
    i really want to try TL2 but i think im gonna pass until the first prize drop or STEAM offer. i really like D3, and dont agree with most of the popular flaws everyones complaining about. of course the game isnt perfect but its good enough to keep me playing for many more hours.
    TL1 was boring, and not as good as D2.

TL2 is ok, but there is a reason its priced at $20.

There is literally 0 chance for TL2 to "beat" D3. Im sure it will be a fun game, but im not exactly gonna drop D3 for TL2, lol.

Also, fun fact, it is the same person in TL doing the music as it was in D2.

Here is the funnier fact; Its also the same person they used for DIABLO 3.
    I think the TL fans underestimate the advances made in D3. The skill system is AWESOME! And it's fun to change play styles depending on the myriad of skills available. There is a huge variety between skills and play styles within the SAME class. So much replayability. I've put in over 60 hours, and haven't even touched the monk, DH, or wizard yet.

I really enjoyed TL as a budget version of D2, but ran into a wall near the end. It was annoying to have a summoner and the summons would get one shotted, became worthless, and I couldn't respec.
    There's lots of cool things about TL2 but overall the combat just felt shallow. Back to the old days of infinite pot chugging, mana gimping everything you do till you find enough leech, no tension between generators and spenders, can run away from any and all threats effortlessly, etc. Whatever else D3 has messed up, I think they've moved combat itself forward quite a bit, and for me that's more important than loot even. Of course people play D2 for lots of different reasons so YMMV, if you really gotta have skill trees and atts and no AH, this is your game.
    So now the state of the design has finally grasped that clicking piles of gold is boring, so it's just "ran over" instead. Perhaps in a few years they'll get an idea that gold could be awarded automatically when killing a monster.
    Quote from Greavers

Greetings there!
    As i have been playing D3 since the release, i noticed something funny!
    I didn't notice this untill now but, the original D2 creaters who left blizzard, they went and made a game called Torch Light 2. Now the current D3 developers are from Fifa 97 and wow etc, while the creators of the original Diablo series made Torch Light 2.

What i found really interesting while checking TL 2 was;

If u go to 13 mins into the video here, LISTEN to the music and the sounds - its pretty much the same as in D2!

Without noticing this before... Torch Light 2 might even beat D3 :/ - just check the video and listen to the soothing music/sounds.. Its crazy, its so much like D2!

Do you think TL 2 will beat D3?

I read some interesting facts about it aswell just now;

This all gives it the D2 feeling aswell, apart from gameplay and music which is pretty much obvious xD

What do u guys think? This game is to be released soon! Will you give it a try?

*Updated the 4 above* !

The reason the music sounds similar is because the same guy composed the music for both games. However, music doesn't make a game amazing, lol.

No, TL2 will not beat Diablo 3. I'll be fun, but it's no comparison. Here's why:

1. No secure servers
    2. The ability to bring your offline character online - Items will have no value as there's no secure online servers and hacking, duping will be an issue.
    3. Modding allowed - see above.
    4. Old D2 point system. Some think this is a plus, I do not.
    5. This one is personal preference, but I don't like the itemization so far (I was in the beta).

It'll be good fun to mess around with when I need a break from Diablo 3, but it's not anywhere close.
    Hoping to switch over to TL2 when it's released, so far the game looks awesome.
    There has been lots of improvements since TL1 and I'm straight up bored with D3, mostly just play the AH these days.
    Will be a purchase on release day for me, can't wait to play some properly randomized dungeons and find some actual fun lootz!
    O_O
    If I wanted to play D2, I'd play D2. I found Torchlight 1 to be mind-numbingly boring, couldn't really put my finger why, maybe it was just the 'been there, done that' feel. The people complaining about D3 are a vocal minority, the game is leaps and bounds beyond D3 in terms of gameplay; something that direly needed to happen.

I don't have high hopes for TL2. I'd be interested to give it a shot with a demo, but nothing I've seen so far makes me think it's a whole lot different from TL or D2.

- If this is really what you're looking for in a game, you don't have to wait for Torchlight 2 or waste your money either. There's tons of those free korean grinders out there with these exact features. I haven't seen anything that would set Torchlight 2 apart from other games of this type. Torchlight was a budget game that was available at 5 bucks at Steam shortly after its release. Now the developers wanted to create this version to add in multiplayer. I think it even runs the same engine as the previous game.
    Just bought it on steam, 19 euro is a steal, that's like a shitty 700dps'er with LOH on RMAH lol :D
    And totally disagree with the guy above, D3 isn't even leaps and bounds beyond D2, if anything they regressed with D3.
    O_O
    My two cents, since you guys are dying to know:

1) Diablo 3 is a new game that has star status from its developer. It has no subscription cost, yet will get regular updates. It's basically a dumbed-down WoW at this point, which is great for most people and is a fantastic business model. Basically, a vanilla dungeon crawler that will only get better as time goes on.

2) Torchlight 2 is a throwback to old formulas, a lot of which were not all that great. There is very little new flavor that is being added; in fact Diablo 3 is more of a revolutionary game in its vanilla state.

3) There is room on the table for an advanced dungeon crawler that shifts the paradigm in a similar way that Diablo 2 revolutionized the genre created by Diablo. Diablo 3 is not revolutionary by any means, due in large part on how much it borrows from WoW (which in turn borrowed from Diablo 2 and did its own step-up). My personal preference would be a minimalist yet immensely complicated game with a large learning curve and a more immersive zoomed-in isometric perspective; perhaps something in between Witcher 2, Ultima Underworld and Diablo 3.
    Because of the way it looks, I don't feel like knowing more about gameplay, skills system etc.

Sure, gaming isn't all about the graphisms, far from that actually, but in this particular case it's just a deal breaker.
    bs"d

TL & TL2 have almost if not ALL ex-Blizzard North emplyees, who gave us Diablo and D2. same music composer.
    it might be "cartoony" but thats the unique style of the game, plus the second you start bashing them monsters, with all that blood, gore and body parts flying around, you will forget about how cartoony it is.
    TL2 is better, for few main reasons in my opinion:
    1. much better inventory management.
    2. bigger variety of mobs/areas (from what i've seen in the beta).
    3. no DRM, must be connected to the server to play SP bs.
    4. TL2 has LAN.
    5. TL2 can be fully modded.
    6. price, steam offer right now by 4 copies in a price of 3 which is 60$, which is one copy of D3...

from what i've seen in TL2 beta and what D3 offer to its players, i've came to conclution that even though D3 might be longer. its more of a "money-milking" game, unlike TL2 which is more for the players enjoyment.

so to sum it all up: i'll take TL2 over D3 any day!

but thats my opinion!
    Yeh well tbh TL 2 has kept some awesome things from D2 that D3 failed to deliver/use, or perhaps the designers wanted to try a new system but tbh did not suceed that well! Such as, more isolated, less players in games,bad chats, bad uniques/sets, NO RUNEWORDS, no scrolls (which gives the diablo feeling) - i mean as the D3 designers tried to 'update' the game and make it better, they failed and 'de/regressed' the game, into a still good game but with very little 'Diablo' feeling in it.

Tbh imo, its just wrong designers for D3, it's still a good game but nowhere near my expectations!
    Quote from madnek

bs"d

TL & TL2 have almost if not ALL ex-Blizzard North emplyees, who gave us Diablo and D2. same music composer.
    it might be "cartoony" but thats the unique style of the game, plus the second you start bashing them monsters, with all that blood, gore and body parts flying around, you will forget about how cartoony it is.
    TL2 is better, for few main reasons in my opinion:
    1. much better inventory management.
    2. bigger variety of mobs/areas (from what i've seen in the beta).
    3. no DRM, must be connected to the server to play SP bs.
    4. TL2 has LAN.
    5. TL2 can be fully modded.
    6. price, steam offer right now by 4 copies in a price of 3 which is 60$, which is one copy of D3...

from what i've seen in TL2 beta and what D3 offer to its players, i've came to conclution that even though D3 might be longer. its more of a "money-milking" game, unlike TL2 which is more for the players enjoyment.

so to sum it all up: i'll take TL2 over D3 any day!

but thats my opinion!

Very nice tbh, I am atm thinking about playing TL2 aswell!
    the people that made the Torchlight series are also part of the team at Flagship that conned people out of their money with the scam they called Hellgate London.
    they just bailed before the ship sunk.
    no way in hell am i ever gonna give those scumbags my money
    Quote from Valtonis

conned people out of their money

as a ex-WoW play, i have a list of at least 3 years, where Blizzard did the same and turned the game in the money milking machine. they even turned "buy gold" into legit thing with their system.
    and Hellgate London wasnt as bad as ppl make it, i've played the game, it was fun. the company tried to take diablo, turn it into sci-fi fps. wasnt the best idea, but it wasnt a "scam". its like saying Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines was a scam by Troyka cause the shut down on release. or Black Isle scamed ppl with Fallout 2. if you're looking for the greatest con artists in the gaming industry, you're looking for EA, Activition, Blizzard, even Bioware is taking part in it. every company that release a DLC on release day is conning.
    in short, if you gonna open that pandora box, its will put instantly a black stain on those companies.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes