Nektu's Cooking Corner

Tonight my roommate made this pasta which was actually squash noodles. The marinara sauce he made entirely out of vegetables from his own garden. It was really good shit!
    You mean spaghetti squash? It's alright. My wife made it for me at one point of our marriage. Made it with a meat sauce. I wasn't impressed.

@Lt., I'll get a recipe up and edit this post later.

Recruiting for East Realm
    Also recruiting for Sc2 on both EU and NA servers

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    Alright thank you!
    Just as the Scorpion hunts...
    Silently Lurking...

"Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted." ~ Ezio Auditore de Firenze
    The secret to the best pbnj:

3 pieces of Rye Toast
    Skippy Natural Peanut butter with HONEY
    Strawberry jam
    Bananas

Do with this info what you will but be very careful for it holds the key to life!!
    "I want to say something but I'll keep it to myself I guess and leave this useless post behind to make you aware that there WAS something... "
    -Equinox

"We're like the downtown of the Diablo related internet lol"
    -Winged
    Quote from Umpa65

The secret to the best pbnj:

3 pieces of Rye Toast
    Skippy Natural Peanut butter with HONEY
    Strawberry jam
    Bananas

Do with this info what you will but be very careful for it holds the key to life!!

I think I may have convulsed a little there. Never heard of pbnj on Rye.

Omelet; Cajun style:

Whip your eggs until smooth and add a touch of milk and whip a bit more.

Saute diced onions, mixed bell peppers, diced tomatoes and some 70/90 shrimp in liquid butter alternative. The really little ones. After this has sauteed and your onions are near translucent, add your beaten eggs.

I Like to slide the egg to one side as the mix cooks, cooking it evenly, getting the liquid stuff to the sides so it can cook. Make sense? You don't want to use a scramble technique. Flip it once there is little liquid left on the top portion. Cook a few moments, flip again. Put some shredded cheddar on one side of omelet. Slide that side toward the plate and fold as you finish. (I didn't tell you what else I add to give it my special twist.)

Hope that helps Lt.

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    Thank you. Will definitely try it this coming weekend.
    Silently Lurking...

Take out a wok - if you don't have one, buy one. You should always have a wok in your kitchen arsenal.

Anyway, fry some finely cut chicken or turkey in some oil with cinnamon for just a minute or so. Not enough to cook it through, just to finish the edges. Add a little garlic, some salt and curry, and let it fry for another minute.
    Add fine-cut spring onions, chopped mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes. Open up a can of pineapples and pour the liquid in. Should be enough to cover the dish, if not, open another and do the same thing. Continue adding a bit of curry throughout the process. When the chicken's properly boiled up in the pineapple fluid, add 2 cans of coconut milk and the pineapples from before(should be cut in pieces).

Just keep stirring around until the dish is nice and thick, add more curry if needed.

Serve with jasmin rice for any foodlovers joy.
    Image removed due to its file extension: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=39239.0;attach=26376;image

last.fm
    Quote from Nektu

You mean spaghetti squash? It's alright. My wife made it for me at one point of our marriage. Made it with a meat sauce. I wasn't impressed.

Somehow I doubt much impresses you at all. I thought it was pretty damn good though.
    Quote from Siaynoq

Quote from Nektu

Somehow I doubt much impresses you at all. I thought it was pretty damn good though.

Not true. I'm just not much of a fan of squash. Don't get me wrong, acorn squash when roasted with brown sugar and honey is alright. But if I have a choice, I stay away from it.

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    That omelet sounds wonderful...drooling just thinking about it.
    Smiling is infectious.
    Image removed due to its file extension: http://www.diablofans.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=1538

Give, expecting nothing thereof. ------------ BoD - Come have some fun!
    Folks will always come and go, so enjoy them while they're meant to be in your life.

Do you have a chili recipe that even the Lord of Terror himself would have trouble eating it??

Also, what do you think of me putting together a Diablofans Cookbook which would organize all the recipes so to make it easier for others to find what they want?
    Silently Lurking...

Quote from Nektu

I thought I posted one up already. Hmm, try this:

Nektu's chili:

2 lbs ground elk, or regular hamburger meat
    1 lrg white onion
    1 each red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper
    5 each whole fresh jalapenos
    1 can diced tomatoes in juice(the size of the can is up to you)
    1 can kidney beans
    2 small cans tomato paste
    Garlic powder, cayenne powder, chili powder.

Dice the onion and the bell peppers and put them in a stock pot. Start to simmer in a little canola oil. Cut the jalapenos in half, make sure you cut off the top where the stems are. I take a spoon and scrape out the seeds. If you like a bit of spice, leave the seeds in. DON'T TOUCH YOUR EYES OR GO TO THE BATHROOM WITHOUT WASHING YOUR HANDS AFTER WORKING WITH THE JALAPENOS. IT WILL BURN.

Dice the jalapenos and put them in with the bells and onion. In a separate pan brown off the ground meat. Add the diced tomatoes, juice and all, with the onion and peppers. Bring to simmer. Drain the juice out of the kidney beans and add to stock pot.

Drain the juices from the cooked ground meat and add to the stock pot as well. Add 4 cups warm water and the 2 cans tomato paste.

Adding the spices is up to you. I use about 2 ounces of garlic powder, 5 ounces of chili powder and about 1 ounce of the cayenne powder. If you want add some Tabasco sauce.

Let simmer for about 3 hours, stirring every once in a while.

I prefer to use ground elk. It has a better flavor than regular ground beef. If you can find ground elk cool! If not, then you may want to hunt it or just go with the beef.

You can add any other spices, or even jarred jalapenos with juice to make this a "kick you in the balls/full system reset" chili.

As for the Cookbook, that would kick ass! Go for it!

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    Would the two bell peppers upset the taste of the chili if I take them out? Also, would a second can of kidney beans be good, and what about additional meat(s)???

I know I asked a lot of questions, but I don't like peppers all that much. Spicy peppers I do like. I'm used to eating a heavy chili with rice and cheddar cheese, which is why I asked about the extra beans and meat. I'll start The Official Diablofans Cook Book maybe tomorrow night or something. I'm going to ask Sixen if it would be alright if I have multiple posts in a row for organizational purposes.
    Silently Lurking...

You can take out the bell peppers if you want. I really can't taste them after it's done cooking anyways. As for the other stuff, add what ever you want. I don't know if the mix of different types of meats would taste all that good. Unless you add like a ground sausage with the elk or ground beef. Ground sausage works well with this too. But it has to be German sausage, only because of the different spices from Polish ground sausage.

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    I started building the cookbook! I need to stop for now, will continue work in a little bit.
    Silently Lurking...

Sounds good. We can probably Sticky it when you get it finished.

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    It will never be finished. As people put up recipes, it will be updated, but I will say when it is approximately 90% done.
    Silently Lurking...

Alright by me.

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    Scones:

Ingredients

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1/3 cup sugar
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
    * 1/2 cup raisins (or dried currants)
    * 1/2 cup sour cream
    * 1 large egg

Directions

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in raisins.
    3. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.
    4. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
    5. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.

Footnotes

Cranberry-Orange Scones
    Follow the recipe for Simple Scones, adding a generous teaspoon of finely grated orange rind (zest) to the dry ingredients and substituting dried cranberries for the raisins.
    Lemon-Blueberry Scones
    Follow the recipe for Simple Scones, adding a generous teaspoon of finely grated lemon rind (zest) to the dry ingredients and substituting dried blueberries for the raisins.
    Cherry-Almond Scones
    Follow the recipe for Simple Scones, adding 1/2 tsp. almond extract to the sour cream mixture and substituting dried cherries for the raisins.

Bod home Page

Like us on Facebook!
    mmmmm YUMMY goodness
    Smiling is infectious.
    Image removed due to its file extension: http://www.diablofans.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=114&pictureid=1538

Give, expecting nothing thereof. ------------ BoD - Come have some fun!
    Folks will always come and go, so enjoy them while they're meant to be in your life.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes