Path Of Exile - First Impressions

all cracks from jsp hardcore moving over to poe
    best game poe
    My first impressions were a little different. Passive skill tree indeed is huge and seem like a lot of diversity, but while I was checking skills all I saw was "+stat , +%health, +minions, +shield, +some specific dmg", only few skills seemed like they really changed alot (like reducing health to 1 and buffing shield), and then I wasn't feeling so impressed. It simply looks like a very overcomplicated system for no reason at all.

The active skill system (gems), again, feels unnecesary overcomplicated and in fact doesn't differ much from D3. You can take out the gem just like you can swap skills, you can buff the skills just like picking different rune. Leveling gems doesn't seem to give anything else than more damage and mana cost. Random gem socket colors in armor/weapon pieces seems like a wierd mechanic that makes less gear actually usable, at least at the beginnings of the game.

The thing I really didn't like one bit was the currency. There wouldn't be much difference if PoE had every of it's "currency items" just buyable with gold. Overcomplicated again. Also inventory seems extremely small, just like in D2, and honestly there was a reason why one of the more popular mods was increasing the size of it. At least stash is big.

Overall the game feels ok. I liked properly randomized maps, dark, scary environments and I will definitely play PoE from time to time. I hope some day, next ARPG game will strike balance between unnecesary overcomplications of PoE and oversimplification of D3.
    Quote from Astrand

My first impressions were a little different. Passive skill tree indeed is huge and seem like a lot of diversity, but while I was checking skills all I saw was "+stat , +%health, +minions, +shield, +some specific dmg", only few skills seemed like they really changed alot (like reducing health to 1 and buffing shield), and then I wasn't feeling so impressed. It simply looks like a very overcomplicated system for no reason at all.

The active skill system (gems), again, feels unnecesary overcomplicated and in fact doesn't differ much from D3. You can take out the gem just like you can swap skills, you can buff the skills just like picking different rune. Leveling gems doesn't seem to give anything else than more damage and mana cost. Random gem socket colors in armor/weapon pieces seems like a wierd mechanic that makes less gear actually usable, at least at the beginnings of the game.

The thing I really didn't like one bit was the currency. There wouldn't be much difference if PoE had every of it's "currency items" just buyable with gold. Overcomplicated again. Also inventory seems extremely small, just like in D2, and honestly there was a reason why one of the more popular mods was increasing the size of it. At least stash is big.

Overall the game feels ok. I liked properly randomized maps, dark, scary environments and I will definitely play PoE from time to time. I hope some day, next ARPG game will strike balance between unnecesary overcomplications of PoE and oversimplification of D3.

What could i say... if such a simple game is too complicated for you... Plus you don't even see reasons for their choice of economy... And huge difference between gems in PoE and runes in D3... I feel sorry for you.
    I actually love that they don't have gold in PoE. Absolutely love it.
    Oh, and no AH.
    Quote from Grabbler

What could i say... if such a simple game is too complicated for you... Plus you don't even see reasons for their choice of economy... And huge difference between gems in PoE and runes in D3... I feel sorry for you.

It *definitely* cannot be called a simple game. It is possibly the most complex game I've played in years (not a bad thing in my opinion)

Not really necessary to attack and condescend to the man for his opinions. The guy leans more towards the simple D3 mechanics while those of us who enjoy complex theory-crafting and builds are enjoying PoE. To each their own.

I have a feeling there are a lot of people out there who don't want to have to search a Wiki page to figure out basic mechanics. The game for them is D3.

But the game for me right now is PoE until D3 steps up its' endgame.
    Quote from Grabbler
    What could i say... if such a simple game is too complicated for you... Plus you don't even see reasons for their choice of economy...
    I don't think it's to complicated, it's just new. In a matter of time there will be decent builds for leveling and cookie cutter stuff and that's it. You'll probably level another character for a totally different route but after playing through the acts ten times it should get as boring as leveling your 8th toon in Diablo 3. The big plus side is the endgame, randomized maps with a theme for all mobs in it (eg: all dealing extra fire damage or all have reflect affix) + higher difficulty (level) net more reward - that's just brilliant. What more can you ask for if you're looking into long term motivation?

I can't agree on the economy, though. If you want you could translate the stuff into a currency like coins, greatly simplifiying the access for newbies. With the same chances for an Orb of Alchemy to drop on level 1 as for a level 75 (assuming both fight mobs that gives them a challenge) it's rather hard to get a full grasp of what you're doing right away and wasting worthy currency on stuff you'll probably stop using some hours later.

1 Gold = 1 Scroll Fragment (or simply any white Item)
    5 Gold = 1 Scroll of Wisdom
    15 Gold = 1 Portal Scroll
    105 Gold = 1 Orb of Transmutation
    420 Gold = 1 Orb of Augmentation
    1.680 Gold = 1 Orb of Alteration
    3.360 Gold = 1 Jeweller's Orb
    10.080 Gold = 1 Chromatic Orb
    13.340 Gold = 1 Orb of Fusing
    13.340 Gold = 1 Orb of Chance
    53.760 Gold = 1 Orb of Scouring
    107.520 Gold = 1 Orb of Regret
    107.520 Gold = 1 Orb of Alchemy

Whatever, please don't forget: simplyfying things opens up the market for a considerable huger playerbase. Having a hard game is nice, i still loving playing Dark Souls every once in a while and get a good beating but the online modus is almost dead and thus my longtime motivation is rather low.
    There is actually a Exchange Table :
    http://www.poeex.info/

Exalted Orbs = most valuable Item in game.
    Path of Exile has my full attention - and it has since about 2 months ago.

I am one of the players who felt a bit betrayed (even though i defended it most of the way through Development) by Blizzard's massive change to the ARPG genre, and when asked about it only saying "we feel that this is how people should be playing".

They sold a TON of copies, so I can't really say they had it wrong, but to take somthing as basic (IMO) to this genre as having replaying/remaking/rebuilding/starting over with new characters be un-needed, was a bit of a slap in the face.

So, in short, for the group of people (like me) who think:
    "D3 is too simple"
    "D3 shouldn't have gotten rid of stat points"
    "D3 shouldn't have gotten rid of skill points"
    "D3 shouldn't have added a RMAH"
    "D3 shouldn't have made re-rolling pointless / unneeded"
    "D3 shouldn't have simplified itemization to the point of absuridty"

.. for those people, PoE will hit the sweet spot. I love it so far!

But, on a side note, the potential for D3 is still SUPER high in my opinion. As others have said, and there is no denying, the "nuts and bolts" of Diablo 3 are IONS beyond path of exile. The smooth and satisfying combat in Diablo 3 are unmatched. They just need to build a better game around the engine.
    Quote from Grabbler

The game is not too complicated for me, it is unnecesary complicated for simple mechanics it has, which I explained. As I mentioned in the first sentence, thoes are my first impressions as I played for around 10 hours, so please explain this economy choice and difference between runes and gems from a more experienced player perspective instead of trying to be smarter than you are.
    Quote from ballon

Whatever, please don't forget: simplyfying things opens up the market for a considerable huger playerbase.

That type of thinking is what got us to where we are in the videogame industry.
    Quote from maka

Quote from ballon

Whatever, please don't forget: simplyfying things opens up the market for a considerable huger playerbase.

Yepp, completly agree.

Over simplyfying to a degree where you dont have to use your brain anymore isnt good at all.
    Games need to be hard to master ;) Thats the whole fun^^
    Quote from Xenocow

Quote from maka

Quote from ballon

Yepp, completly agree.

Over simplyfying to a degree where you dont have to use your brain anymore isnt good at all.

As one of the so called "brainless noob player", here is my perception of "fun":

For me, playing video games is a lot like having a beer. Do I feel like to solve a system of linear equations in order to open the bottle? No. As a research scientist, solving hard problems is part of the job description. Therefore I prefer giving my limited brain a break while relaxing. I really enjoy the idea of mindlessly smashing monsters (with D3's awesome combat system) 99% percent of the time and only once in a while (1% of the time) stop to think about how can I improve (with no punishment on making "bad" skill/rune decisions). I don't mind being "sub-optimal" or "slow" in my farming process, since I play this game just for the relaxation. I also have long term motivation for this game, smashing foes once in a while with my character slowly progressing. And I assume there are quite a few players like me.

Therefore, I don't think the existence of "oversimplifying games" is a bad thing, and I am very happy that there are such high quality games like D3 for me to play.

P.S. Sorry for the bad English :)
    Quote from Carpenters

Quote from Xenocow

Quote from maka

Quote from ballon

Yepp, completly agree.

As one of the so called "brainless noob player", here is my perception of "fun":

For me, playing video games is a lot like having a beer. Do I feel like to solve a system of linear equations in order to open the bottle? No. As a research scientist, solving hard problems is part of the job description. Therefore I prefer giving my limited brain a break while relaxing. I really enjoy the idea of mindlessly smashing monsters (with D3's awesome combat system) 99% percent of the time and only once in a while (1% of the time) stop to think about how can I improve (with no punishment on making "bad" skill/rune decisions). I don't mind being "sub-optimal" or "slow" in my farming process, since I play this game just for the relaxation. I also have long term motivation for this game, smashing foes once in a while with my character slowly progressing. And I assume there are quite a few players like me.

Therefore, I don't think the existence of "oversimplifying games" is a bad thing, and I am very happy that there are such high quality games like D3 for me to play.

P.S. Sorry for the bad English :)

The thing is: there are already tonnes of very simple games out there. Not every game needs to be simple.

Also, it sounds like what you really like are action games, and not necessarily ARPGs. Like, let's say, God of War. Or Devil May Cry.
    Games aren't supposed to be hard to be enjoyed. There's supposed to be depth - that makes them successful. Putting up restrictions on everything makes the game inherently deep, but overly complex, therefore unwelcoming. Opening up almost everything to players makes the game much more welcoming to new people, while keeping a theorycrafting part for the enthusiastic "depth" crowd.

Both a super complex game and a very opened game can both be incredibly deep, but at the end of the day the hardcore theorycrafting crowd will reverse engineer all the complexity and invent cookie cutter options for lazier or not inventive people. Soon those options will overwhelm all the diversity that game companies have presented and their job from here on out is to keep balancing the different options so that a larger part of the depth is kept, while the complexity is left untouched.

My game examples here are very obviously PoE and D3. The difference that I gave as an example above is that Diablo 3 will sell more no matter the marketing because it's welcoming to new players, but having lots of options while the game progresses. Path of Exile will be successful to its crowd of theorycrafters because of the overcomplexity of things, but the depth will be lost to new players because of said complexity and the game is doomed to suffer a smaller, more dedicated crowd. The real difference is that Blizzard will have more money to support their servers and keep doing large updates and introducing expansions with lots of time for polish and tests for complexity vs depth. GGG will have smaller support, relying much more on their enthusiastic crowd, having smaller staff that will push features that are fun for the dedicated people, but will strengthen the complexity in order to satisfy them in spite the game losing population from new players that are feeling lost in said complexity.

Sorry for the sometimes long sentences. :)

And of course, take that as an opinion. I can't say I know too much about game design. Just my philosophy.
    Eh, wasn't thrilled. It seemed to me to be a poor mix of Diablo 1 and 2.

My biggest issues were combat, graphics, and the story.

As others have said, I thought the combat was clunky. I feel this is more important than some are saying ("oh, I'd rather have good mechanics than combat") because combat is SO much of an ARPG. The skills also didn't seem to be varied. Maybe that was cause I didn't play far enough, or because of my character choice (duelist). I also felt the enemy variety wasn't great.

The graphics - oh sure, it was visually dark (as in, not bright enough), but that also meant it was INCREDIBLY dull. Again, maybe it gets way better in late game, but the early part was just bland muddy shore, bland washed out shore, dark boring cave (yeah, that's what a cave really looks like, boring), dark boring jail (I personally didn't see any awesome doodads), then bland, washed out forest, then muddy dark forest. I put more of this to lack of budget, then actual design intent, just because it would have looked pretty sweet if they got D3 level fidelty. But they didn't. Running through the caves in Act 1 gave me serious deja-vu for D2 Act 5. And it wasn't good. The part that isn't excusable is how enemies tend to disappear in the background.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, probably because it doesn't exist, but what I saw was just abrupt. Maybe it will be better when it's actually "released," but at the moment, I think it'd be better if they just dropped the story, and only gave the blurbs the NPCs have about enemies.

All in all, I'd rather play through D3 again with one of the characters I haven't maxed.

Oh - I did like the economy idea, even if I wish ScoW were a little more common (and worth less) so you have the option to sell un-identified, as opposed to being forced to, but that's easy to change. Also, whoever decided to keep the inventory the same as D2 needs to be beaten. I'm sorry, but SOME improvement is good.
    Quote from overneathe

The difference that I gave as an example above is that Diablo 3 will sell more no matter the marketing because it's welcoming to new players

No. Just...no. It will sell more because it has "Diablo" and "Blizzard" on the cover. It will sell more because it looks 'prettier'. Everything else is just you making stuff up to support your stance.
    Plus, all that verbosity to talk about a game's "success"? As if that matters in this discussion. We're talking quality, not quantity.
    Quote from maka

No. Just...no. It will sell more because it has "Diablo" and "Blizzard" on the cover. It will sell more because it looks 'prettier'. Everything else is just you making stuff up to support your stance.
    Plus, all that verbosity to talk about a game's "success"? As if that matters in this discussion. We're talking quality, not quantity.

Exactly.

Quote from "overneathe" »
    And of course, take that as an opinion. I can't say I know too much about game design. Just my philosophy.
    Quote from TheDFO
    Eh, wasn't thrilled. It seemed to me to be a poor mix of Diablo 1 and 2.

You cant judge a book by its cover... or the first 5 pages.
    I supported PoE in close beta with the Silver Support Package for 100 bucks... didnt played much though.

Every...cent....worth it. not shit.

Now after the final Character Wipe i've started playing, without any Guides, Insight or anything.
    Started a Fire Witch (closing in on Level 70)...using Multiple Fireball with big Ignites, a Spectre as Tank, and Fire Traps...which is basicly a Ranger Ability, but it scales so well with all the Fire Passives that i had to take it for crazy AE Fire based Damage.
    Your Imagination is the Limit in PoE, you can create so crazy Builds its completly sick.

And quite frankly, i've missed that in Diablo3. The crazy Depth.
    After the second or third playthru it became tedious and dull...not saying "Boring" for a reason.
    Diablo3 has a Hook, but its a tiny one for Carb or so.... PoE got a big Hook for Sharks.. i am a Shark dude :)

Cant really remember a Game which i played for 10 Hours straight, and time passed by so quickly that it felt like 2 Hours tops.
    Its the same with my Friends btw, ive seen People in TS3 i didnt see for 2-3 Years...everybody is digging it.

The entire hardcore community moved over to PoE, all the big streamers PoE (besides Moldran^^)...
    Thats doesnt happen without a reason dude ;)
    Its got some interesting ideas, but something about the combat feels off, something I cant quite explain. Its not as fast as TL2 or as meaty as D3, in my opinion.

I feel the skill system is a bit much. There is a middleground between the d2 way of "you need to use crappy skills for ages before get any good skills, then just slightly make them better" and this "here, have everything in your face, enjoy the confusion" system. Maybe it will grow on me, but so far, its kinda meh for me
    I can see what you see not. Vision milky, then eyes rot.
    When you turn, they will be gone. Whispering their hidden song.

Then you see what cannot be. Shadows move where light should be.
    Out of darkness, out of mind. Cast down into the Halls of the Blind
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes