Path Of Exile - First Impressions

If you don't like the slow pace of combat at the beginning, I'd suggest rolling a Shadow and getting the attack speed passives right from the get-go. Also in the Open Beta you can get a Quicksilver Flask early on which gives you a temporary movement speed bonus, which is really nice. As a shadow, one of the quest rewards gives you Fire Trap which is a nice AoE skill.
    What did I JUST say. No more name calling.

(This is aimed towards someone whose post exists no more)

Ha. Bagstone.

I have played many hours of both D3 and PoE and I thoroughly enjoy both. The one thing that i haven't seen mentioned in here is that PoE is completely Free To Play, one thing that D3 is not. If there flaws in the gameplay i just think back to "Hey I didn't pay for this so who cares if it's not 100% perfect" (other than the donation I made to get into Closed Beta). PoE Ultimately is an awesome game with lots of replayability and options to customize how your specific character plays, There are over 1300 passive skills, yeah not all are completely viable, but you can definitely change your specific playstyle based on those. Knowing that they aren't backed by a huge company like Blizzard, I say Kudos to GGG for a game well done.
    Quote from theonlydude

I have played many hours of both D3 and PoE and I thoroughly enjoy both. The one thing that i haven't seen mentioned in here is that PoE is completely Free To Play, one thing that D3 is not. If there flaws in the gameplay i just think back to "Hey I didn't pay for this so who cares if it's not 100% perfect" (other than the donation I made to get into Closed Beta). PoE Ultimately is an awesome game with lots of replayability and options to customize how your specific character plays, There are over 1300 passive skills, yeah not all are completely viable, but you can definitely change your specific playstyle based on those. Knowing that they aren't backed by a huge company like Blizzard, I say Kudos to GGG for a game well done.

On the one hand, I agree...

On the other, you're just making a point that free games are garbage (or just worse), but it's excusable : )

If you have a limited amount of time, which also usually equates to having more money (because most of that time is spent making it while not spending it), a free game isn't worth the cost ; )

-Alamar
    Quote from ProzaicMuze

I'm considering making an introduction video to cover most of the things you touched on here, but I can elaborate on these points:

Yes please Prozaic. You make really informative and fun you tube videos :-)
    Quote from AlamarCurse

Quote from theonlydude

On the other, you're just making a point that free games are garbage (or just worse), but it's excusable : )

If you have a limited amount of time, which also usually equates to having more money (because most of that time is spent making it while not spending it), a free game isn't worth the cost ; )

-Alamar

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's OK if they're garbage :) Obviously if it was terrible I wouldn't play it. My point is that I really enjoy the game as it is and the fact that I didn't have to pay $60 for it is just a bonus. The thing I failed to mention along these lines about not being as critical about the flaws is that having played it over the last few months I have seen the developers continuously working out the issues that most people complain about, so for a free game that the developers really take it's players to heart etc, win win in my book. But I can definitely see your point of view Alamar. I just didn't explain my thoughts clearly (or at least how I wanted it to come across) :D
    PoE feels like the Diablo 2 followup everyone EXPECTED.
    Quote from overneathe

What did I JUST say. No more name calling.

(This is aimed towards someone whose post exists no more)

Name calling implies insults in this case. I told him to resume playing D3 and act like Gordon Gekko all he wants. Is that actually an insult?
    Quote from theonlydude

Quote from AlamarCurse

Quote from theonlydude

-Alamar

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's OK if they're garbage :) Obviously if it was terrible I wouldn't play it. My point is that I really enjoy the game as it is and the fact that I didn't have to pay $60 for it is just a bonus. The thing I failed to mention along these lines about not being as critical about the flaws is that having played it over the last few months I have seen the developers continuously working out the issues that most people complain about, so for a free game that the developers really take it's players to heart etc, win win in my book. But I can definitely see your point of view Alamar. I just didn't explain my thoughts clearly (or at least how I wanted it to come across) :D

The funny thing is: a lot of the problems in PoE seem to stem from having a low budget, i.e., the lower-than-desirable fluidity of the combat system and overall gameplay clearly (and understandably) suffers from a low graphics department budget, while a lot of D3's problems seem to stem from having 'too large a budget', i.e. D3's dev team can't fart without having to notify the suits upstairs. Makes it hard to develop a game if you keep having to ask a lawyer if this change or that tweak are OK.
    Quote from Sartorius

Name calling implies insults in this case. I told him to resume playing D3 and act like Gordon Gekko all he wants. Is that actually an insult?

:facepalm: I totally misread what you wrote. Appologiese.

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from maka

Quote from theonlydude

Quote from AlamarCurse

Quote from theonlydude

-Alamar

The funny thing is: a lot of the problems in PoE seem to stem from having a low budget, i.e., the lower-than-desirable fluidity of the combat system and overall gameplay clearly (and understandably) suffers from a low graphics department budget, while a lot of D3's problems seem to stem from having 'too large a budget', i.e. D3's dev team can't fart without having to notify the suits upstairs. Makes it hard to develop a game if you keep having to ask a lawyer if this change or that tweak are OK.

Haha well said. Couldn't agree with you more.

I guess the same can be said about both games (imho) they are like a fine wine. They each seem to be getting better with time
    PoE has flaws, thats out of the Question.

Like the big overlay map, its ugly and you cant see a thing in brighter areas.
    Like the fact that you cant buy back Items if you accidently sold em.
    That you cant respec your entire Passive Skilltree, well thats not actually a flaw..but would be cool.

Thing is... there are no flawless executed Games this days anymore, even not in the AAA department.

I play games to have fun, and i am having a hell of a good time in PoE.
    Quote from maka

None of the great RPGs had magnificently fluid combat systems, and I've never played an RPG solely for its combat system.
    Funny, this topic shows a clear separation between those who are action fans and those who are RPG fans.

Diablo 1 was a slow clunky tactical masterpiece, but Diablo 2 was not. It wasn't God of War like D3 sometimes tries to be, but it did have a better action feel, more visceral feedback than the vast majority of its clones. TL/2 is the only clone that I've played that really had even a portion of that feel. Anyway you're going to see a fair number of Diablo 2 fans coming from that perspective because that game did have some decent combat for its time.
    Thing is, it's way more free to play as you wish than D3 ever has been and pobably ever will..
    Take the fact that you can spec a mara to act as a regular witch?
    And no, you do NOT have to take passive skill points on attackspeed, you can also get that on gear..
    Then there's always gonna be different opinions about what's good and not, and thats just the way it is...some like it, some don't.
    Quote from maka

The funny thing is: a lot of the problems in PoE seem to stem from having a low budget, i.e., the lower-than-desirable fluidity of the combat system

Well, SWTOR which probably has one of the largest budgets ever for a game, had some of the least fluid gameplay I have ever seen*.
    I think its more a matter of many designers not understanding how fluidity makes their games better.

That is probably one of the reasons so many WoW clones have failed miserably. No matter what else they do, nearly all of them offer much less fluid combat than WoW. And people get turned off by it.

*They literally admitted that they purposefully had made their game less fluid, so people could see all their "awesome animations". Not allowing people to switch from one skill to another, before the full animation had finished. Sigh.
    PoE servers are getting hammered this weekend. The launch was quite a success but slowly it is clear that the game is run by indie company with limited budget. Disconnects, lags and reconnection issues are aplenty lately. This would not be a problem but since there are experience penalties for dieing in PoE, it is somewhat annoying even on Cruel difficulty (5% exp loss / death) but it must be hell of a pain on Merciless (15% exp lose / death). I have fair amount of "I stand in front of doors, shooting at the baddies, to suddenly appear past the doors getting my face smashed in by the same baddies I was shooting at from far away split second, and one lag, ago."
    Ignoring the death penalties, disconnects have another nasty effect that almost prevents you from clearing certain areas such as Act2 end boss or any other area with 2 or 3 floors without way point. What happened to me several time today is that I get to 2nd or 3rd floor of the dungeon only to get disconnected from server. If I can re-log immediately, it is possible that I will be able to get into my instance--that 2nd or 3rd floor--before it resets. However, If I'm unlucky to get first floor reset I will have to find my way through random map to stairs, which I might not make in time before my 2nd floor instance resets. Most enjoyable thing is when you clear the same area 2nd time only to get disconnected again. Kills the motivation slowly but steady :)
    70k people simultanous played today when the server became unstable.
    New Record according to GGG.

Try avoiding playing at peak hours, and it should work fine.
    They figure something out with the Servers, and they already ordered more.
    Just checked at a few Streamers...
    check out KingKongor :-D

"selling entire D3 Gear" ---> HAHAHA :)
    I'm very impressed with Path of Exile so far.
    I started playing a few days ago and find myself increasingly more intrigued as I progress. The itemization is brilliant and the passive skills idea is very cool. The changes to your character may be small with passives, but it feels really rewarding.

When I first started playing, I wasn't feeling much lag and played without problem for several hours. However, today it's very laggy and the gameplay is too choppy to really progress.
    Haven't had any problems playing PoE on my macbook air with Parallels.

I've forgotten all about Diablo 3 for now. Maybe I'll try it again in a year or two. But PoE, only being in beta and being more exciting than D3 (in my opinion), is a real game to consider playing when it fully releases. I can only imagine how awesome it's going to be.
    I just love monsters in PoE. So good after that trash in Diablo 3. Raise Spectre ruuuuuleeeeezzzz
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes