Longest grind in a game

So with the new paragon level system introduced I started to wonder, what is the longest and most brutal grind in any game ever?
    Going all the way to paragon level 100 is going to take ages, but I am sure other games have compareable or even worse grinds. When rating a grind it should reflect a combination of time investment and the nature/value of the reward. So imagine being at paragon level 99: The time investment needed to get that ekstra 3% magic find and a few stat point is really brutal!

Being a former WOW addict I'm just going to mention a few of the worst grinds in that game:
    - The winterspring frostsaber: The original grind was crazy. You had to repeat the same quest 100's of times to get a mount where the only difference from the nightelf faction mounts were a slightly different color. Since vanilla wow it has been nerfed several times, and can be done in a day now though.
    - The original Insane in the membrane grind: Raising your reputation with several completly useless factions so you could earn the title "the insane".
    - The Bloodthirsty: 250k pvp kills.

I am sure there are many others :D

So what do you think has been the worst and longest grind in any game, and how do you think it compares to paraon level 100 in diablo 3?
    Everquest was a long mob grind (no or very few quests to do) to just reach max level.. after that you had "paragon" levels aswell.

But I think the longest (not sure if its the hardest) grind to my knowledge is Eve Online. To max all skills it takes 15 years.
    Leveling to the cap in Final Fantasy 11. Not only was it brutally time consuming but your net exp gain a good portion of the time you logged on would be close to or at absolutely nothing.
    Mu online global several years ago.

To get 350lv you had to grind 24/7 for 1 year. And you do nothing but stand in the same place and killing same mobs for months :D
    Probably the craziest grind is in the game of Runescape.
    You see there is a skill called consturction there, which is pretty useless other than to build houses where you can put stuff to grind some other skills. So that is probably the grindiest skill:
    13 mil exp needed for 99 ( max ) and there is almost no gain excpt the skillcape and the help to grind other pointless skills.
    capping all classes in final fantasy 11 along with getting full merits was quite time-consuming. I didn´t play ffxi since the level cap went over 75 though.
    imho getting up to 100 goldsmith/60 all other crafts in ffxi should also still be the world´s most effective ingame currency sink in existence.

edit: no wait. that should be getting a mythic weapon, also in ffxi...
    Before biolabs and further patches, ragnarok online had a pretty hefty grind as well, getting from 98->99 with about .3% exp per hour, and losing 1 on death.
    Honorable mention: Blaze & Blade, you could finish the game at level 200-250 but level all the way up to 9,999 (the game isn't really well known, so I doubt anyone has done this)
    I did RO online, when I left it was 1->99 then you go back to 1->99 couple of more times, each time you start at lvl 1 you don't get to keep any of your skill and can only use low level weapons, it was stupid but WoW was few years away and grinding meph runs was boring.
    Getting a full set of Master Materia (not counting the ones you get from Emerald Weapon) for your party in FFVII was quite a grind.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from Malthe

- The original Insane in the membrane grind: Raising your reputation with several completly useless faction so you could earn the title "the insane".

This and "Conqueror" on other character. Don't think I recall grinding much more than that in any game. Did level 99 in Final Fantasy Vii for my main party, had all master materia as well, a gold chocobo etc., but I don't recall being it as much of a grind, tho it was long.
    The longest grind I've put myself through was in WoW back in '05, when I had a "brilliant" idea to farm the Timbermaw Hold reputation so I could get the awesome epic trinket and also the honor to see Magni Bronzebeard shouting out to the whole Ironforge how I am the hero of the Alliance. Dozens of hours of soul crushing grind later, I've done it. And I never set foot near those damn furbolgs again.
    "Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the small death that brings total obliteration."
    Not sure how it ranks, but Lineage 2 has a pretty long grind to max level... years... and then, once you are there, you get to do it again for the subclass, and again for noblesse...
    My monk Vin
    Getting all weapons in Secret of Mana was a hell of a grind.
    yea i started playing ff7 in high school i remember playing so long that i had a memory card with like 5 or 6 saves (from scratch) maxed out at 99:99 hours or whatever, and most of those i probably doubled that, easily. I dropped out of high school in 10th grade due to video games, and no interest in school, i went back a few years later and got my GED, went to college, so it wasnt so bad in the end.

I also played hundreds and hundreds of hours into FF Tactics, FF3 (for SNES), Diablo 2 (getting to 99 in d2 took quite awhile, legit and non-rushed)

I honestly think everquest had the most brutal grind/leveling of any mmo to date, most have it easy these days with wow since 2004, but EQ back in early 2000's, was the pioneer, and you could spend WEEKS getting ONE level, only to die ONE time and lose most or all of it, just like that. Then when you died, you could get looted, and you'd lose unique one of a kind items, never to be seen again, that you spent hours in ONE raid to get, the raids in EQ were on a massive scale, and to kill ONE boss took literally hours...for 1 encounter, people played 24/7 so they didnt miss world spawn bosses, it would be 3am, and you'd have your alarm clock go off to get up and go camp that boss with your guild of like 40, just to be first to tag it, then you'd raid said boss for hours.

EQ was/is hardcore, i hated it, it punished players to the extreme. I played it 1 weekend, i made a barbarian or something, went out into the starting zone, and since being level 1, i aggroed: 3 polar bears, 2 spiders couple of skeletons, like instantly just running around and they didnt let up, they would chase you across the zone, i died so many times, within the first hour, that i said f that, gave up. Took quite a bit of hardware to run it too, for the time, computers back in 2000 were just emerging as high end gaming machines, and the video cards and stuff werent cheap at all.

/endrant
    I'd say back in 2005/06 when I was hardcore raiding aq40/naxx and grinding mats for pots and gear on my priest. This took away like 50% of the year. Means roughly 8hrs work and afterwards 11-12 hrs play and w/e was left for sleep + whole weekend through. Tbh this was and ever will be the hardest grind in any game :)
    - The winterspring frostsaber: The original grind was crazy. You had to repeat the same quest 100's of times to get a mount where the only difference from the nightelf faction mounts were a slightly different color. Since vanilla wow it has been nerfed several times, and can be done in a day now though.

No it can't. Takes 20 days. It's a daily quest to feed the kitten.

But the point is valid. Paragon levels is the worst form of grinding. Lots of work for dubious rewards.
    Everquest was my biggest grind experience. LGuk for the monk epic, Vex'Thal keys, millions of AA points, hell levels, Ssra Emp keys, Velious giant/dragon/dwarf factions, the ring wars, etc. but holy hell was that game epic for its time.
    I did 'Insane in the Membrane' once upon a time. I was the third person on the server to do it (thankfully, as the prices of Pristine Black Diamonds absolutely skyrocketed afterwards), and honestly didn't hate it as much doing it as I do reflecting upon it. I had another guild member working on it at the same time, and she and I would play late into the night keeping eachother entertained grinding out goblin rep in Dire Maul. At the time it was pretty fun (I was a student and had plenty of time to kill), but looking back, it was such a massive time-sink for almost three straight months I'm not sure how I managed to do it as quickly as I did.

For reference, I ended up farming something like 2,000 primal life from Skettis off the trees to craft Darkmoon Cards (I hit exalted with the rep there on killing alone, from 0/1000 neutral). And that was just ONE part of the quest.

I was super thrilled to get it, but man, telling anyone who's not a gamer about that achievement is a lesson in humility.
    Everquest. The epic quest, the corpse run, the camp checks and you spent most of the time reading a book instead of looking at mobs is the longest grind ever.
    Quote from Zakaz

I did 'Insane in the Membrane' once upon a time. I was the third person on the server to do it (thankfully, as the prices of Pristine Black Diamonds absolutely skyrocketed afterwards), and honestly didn't hate it as much doing it as I do reflecting upon it. I had another guild member working on it at the same time, and she and I would play late into the night keeping eachother entertained grinding out goblin rep in Dire Maul. At the time it was pretty fun (I was a student and had plenty of time to kill), but looking back, it was such a massive time-sink for almost three straight months I'm not sure how I managed to do it as quickly as I did.

For reference, I ended up farming something like 2,000 primal life from Skettis off the trees to craft Darkmoon Cards (I hit exalted with the rep there on killing alone, from 0/1000 neutral). And that was just ONE part of the quest.

I was super thrilled to get it, but man, telling anyone who's not a gamer about that achievement is a lesson in humility.

I also did that, but as well, i grabbed Exalted with those Bloodsail...
    Which could only be done by killing one goblin found in Badlands (and only that one), and he would give you 5 rep past Honored. No other goblin would give rep past Honored. He also had a 7 min respawn timer. And i got 21,000 rep out of that guy.
    The entirety of Insane seemed like a joke compared to that.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes