No more used games?

Quote from Nokturnal1

Didn't read too much into this.
    Well, that gives me confidence.

Quote from Nokturnal1

Basically Temp is right on his points. I am a musician and can tell ya its pretty much a volunteer job now because of what Maka is trying to defend. Like everyone likes Metallica ya? So they tried to stop the DL of their music and everyone is pissed about it "WE LOVE NAPSTER F U METALLICA BUT THANKS FOR GREAT MUSIC!" Ok..
    Okay, a couple of things. We're not even really talking about piracy here. That's a whole other discussion. And you know what? Every profession has risks. You don't like your job as a musician? It's not rewarding enough for you? Go work in a factory somewhere.

In exchanging games or buying used ones, no copy is being made. So what's your problem? I mean, where do you draw the line? The console already makes it so you have to have the disc in the optical drive or you can't play it. Even if it's installed on the harddrive. So there will never be more than two people playing off a single disc at one time. If someone wants that luxury, then yeah, they have to buy a second copy. And again, where is the line drawn? If I can't even loan the game to a friend so he can play that game on his own Xbox, maybe people living with me shouldn't be able to play it either. It's simply a stupid measure against a niche marketshare of people borrowing or selling used games. As a musician you could appreciate that couldn't you? Someone loaning a CD your band made to his friend? Well maybe not, because they can easily make a copy of that CD. But we're not talking about fucking music anyway, which granted, suffers a bit from piracy, which however, this is NOT what we're talking about. But that's what happens when you skim a thread anyway and just pay attention to that guy's red text over everyone else's boring white text.

Let me just put it another way. Let's say that CD your band made was completely immune to being copied or ripped in any way. Let's say then someone borrowed that CD from a friend so they could listen to it. Um, what that be okay with you? Because that's one thing this lame business idea would prevent people from doing.

And if buying a used game is so awful for the developers (which it isn't) then go after those distributors of used games. But instead they'd rather make the next generation console more shitty by limiting the option of consumers in how they choose their product? And this is how they want to stay competitive in the gaming industry and against PC gaming?

Quote from Nokturnal1

Stop being greedy with your money and reward those who make something you want?
    Pay Blizz for D3 or grow up
    God, I wish so bad I could just grow up for a change and give Blizzard my money, but I'm just so greedy, ya know? Too bad, that's a whole either discussion entirely.
    While this is no longer on the topic of 2nd hand sales, I would like to comment on Noktural1's post.

Metallica is a very profitable commercial enterprise. I would not call it volunteer work. The bulk of Metallica's earnings come from performances rather than digital media sales, these monies are funded by their fans and are proof of their generous contribution to Metallica's coffers. They are not poor. Some might even say that it is due to the wide availability of their music in a non paying form that led to the level of popularity that they have, without which they could not command such high performance fees. While not all artists have the earning power of Metallica, their commercial success if proof that it is very possible to earn exceptional income even in the face of illegal downloads.

The legality of copyright infringement is not in dispute but moving from illegal downloads to immoral behavior and loss of revenue is a bit of a stretch.

Not every download is a loss sale, exceptionally so for 2nd hand sales. Not every person who downloaded a song or recorded it off youtube/radio would have bought the artists' CD in the first place, in such cases there is no revenue forgone for the artist. There are those who argue that in such cases, no one is harmed and in fact people there is benefit as people who would not buy the media are able to enjoy the artist's music at no cost to the artist. Such people might become fans and provide the artist with revenue that would not normally be possible to earn otherwise.

It is also completely impractical to attempt to regulate digital data. There's no way you can reliably initiate legal proceedings against someone who has decided to record a youtube/radio tune. Have legal rights to prevent a type of copyright infringement are of little value if there is no way to reliably do so at a cost efficient manner.
    Well I've never been into console games much anyway. But if they do add something that doesn't allow you to play used games, they can go fuck themselves. It's right up there with releasing a game half assed only to then charge for DLC every couple of months. It seems game companies are getting too greedy, at least some of them. I'm fine with paying for a game, and the only other charge would be a full, complete expansion, or a small monthly at the most. But if this is the route they are going, this makes me even more glad to be a Blizzard fanboy. I'll be spending 100 bucks on a CE of a game that I plan to play for the next decade.

--------------------------------------

Quote from Nimerah

Stop being cheap and support the people that make the things you love. Sure, I can admitt that I once in a while try a game without buying it just to see if I like it, but I always buy it if I like it, and not at a 75% discount.

So you're never going to buy a used car, right? Because you wouldn't be supporting the company that you love. You only will ever buy a brand new car straight from the dealership, right?.... right?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Quote from BleuSnaks42

So you're never going to buy a used car, right? Because you wouldn't be supporting the company that you love. You only will ever buy a brand new car straight from the dealership, right?.... right?
    A return to brevity. That felt good on my brain, thank you.
    Quote from Siaynoq

Quote from BleuSnaks42

A return to brevity. That felt good on my brain, thank you.

lol np sir! ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    PC is an example of a market that has changed for the benefit of both sides. Ease of access, constant deals (look at Steam), prices from GoG to indie games are lower than ever. Everything has changed.

But for consoles? The values of everything is dropping but everybody knows they'll be paying extravagant prices on release for less than before.

Consoles are such an archaic, overpriced bullshit in the first place.

Music is an entire different things. The internet has brought so many wonders to us. And the internet as well as games in general have one word we have yet to understand: sharing. You either understand that we live in a world ever more sharing, or you prioritize profits and go back to the pathetic stone age of capitalism.

There are still musicians making a living: plenty of them. People give money to whom they love. There are places to buy music easier than ever and support the musician you love DIRECTLY. I mean, what, they got 5 cents from you buying in a store, now they get a much bigger part of the profit. Things just change. But it was NEVER easy for musicians to make ANY sort of living. It was always excruciatingly hard. I'd dare say now, with YouTube, with the sharing, its much easier to be known and eventually, much easier to maybe do something great, and become something.

And any musician that went into it for the money is a complete and utter moron, by the way. You choose Art or you choose Money. You don't choose both.
    Lol thanks for your opinion but i can tell from your responses your not in the music biz. yeah this topic did jump off the handle so i won't bring up my defense unless posted in a different thread. I apologize please continue to steal products from hard work
    Quote from Nokturnal1

I apologize please continue to steal products from hard work
    What a douche....

Because that's exactly what all of us MUST be doing, right? Maybe your shitty band is unsuccessful because your music sucks and not because people are stealing your music.
    Lol thanks for your opinion but i can tell from your responses your not in the music biz. yeah this topic did jump off the handle so i won't bring up my defense unless posted in a different thread. I love being a musician and never said i didn't.. besides i make plenty in the medical field i don't make music for money. but i reward bands buy supporting them just like my game companies. if you don't that's your choice. i apologize please continue to steal products from hard working people

-------------------------------------

Saiynok i understand you live on forums to look good. were all proud of you. but don't talk shit because you assume so much about others. jackass
    Quote from Nokturnal1

i apologize please continue to steal products from hard working people
    LOL

You are a delight. You know that? Maybe someone else was defending piracy here, but I certainly wasn't. I could defend piracy if I really wanted to, but that's not what this thread is about. You may be reading words but you don't seem to be comprehending them.

The only example with music that I used was loaning a CD to friend and having them listen to it. Then if they liked the music enough, they would get the music themselves later. Then I compared that to being the same thing as loaning a game to somebody. And you're obsessed with equating some of these things to stealing. Remember that I said nothing about making a copy. Only once the copy has been made has the piracy been committed. I'm talking about buying and trading used games which the new generation consoles are considering whether to prohibit. What's so hard to understand about this?
    Quote from Nokturnal1

I apologize please continue to steal products from hard work

How is it stealing if we buy a used game? There is no law or anything saying we can't. And how is buying a used game different than buying a used CD. Or even a used DVD of X-Men? There are no contracts we have to sign saying that we can't sell them. And these console generations last for about ten years and in that time, many games will be unsupported as new purchases in stores. So why should I have to suffer if I want to catch up on a new game by buying used versions of the prequels?
    I don't always burn. But when I do, I use hellfire.
    Quote from Nokturnal1

Lol thanks for your opinion but i can tell from your responses your not in the music biz. yeah this topic did jump off the handle so i won't bring up my defense unless posted in a different thread. I love being a musician and never said i didn't.. besides i make plenty in the medical field i don't make music for money. but i reward bands buy supporting them just like my game companies. if you don't that's your choice. i apologize please continue to steal products from hard working people

Certain musicians aren't supported by the record companies, these musicians in return tend to recieve little credit for their efforts and in return doesn't get the time they deserve on for example radio and commercial.

This in return leads to a flawed method where the larger labels / record companies have the possibility to determine what people should listen to, for example there are artists I would like to listen to, but I can't acquire their songs in any means other than downloading. Which, if the record companies would get their way, would be illegal, thus completely removing these artists from the scene.
    Its real amusing to see what people keep responding with. this thread isn't about music but was brought up at one point and now its EVERYWHERE best part is i don't even think you understand your arguing with yourself while im on my phone bored at work :-) :-) :-) :-)
    Quote from Nokturnal1

Saiynok i understand you live on forums to look good. were all proud of you. but don't talk shit because you assume so much about others. jackass

This.

Siaynoq, Nokturnal might be talking about something slightly off-topic from the original conversation, but now you're just being a douche bag. No need to bash him like that, I took you as someone better than that. This thread should probably be closed before we bust out the pitch forks.

-Temp
    Quote from Nokturnal1

Its real amusing to see what people keep responding with. this thread isn't about music but was brought up at one point and now its EVERYWHERE best part is i don't even think you understand your arguing with yourself while im on my phone bored at work :-) :-) :-) :-)
    All I got from this is you aren't to be taken seriously cause you're not even paying attention. Thanks for the heads up.

-----------------------------------

Quote from Tempest07

Siaynoq, Nokturnal might be talking about something slightly off-topic from the original conversation, but now you're just being a douche bag. No need to bash him like that, I took you as someone better than that. This thread should probably be closed before we bust out the pitch forks.

I'm not sorry at all for what I said. The guy was assuming just as much about everyone else by accusing us of stealing other people's work just cause we're not immediately coming out against piracy but instead having an open discussion about it. And he even said it twice. So as far as I'm concerned he bashed me just as much. I saw him that and raised him one.
    Antagonizing your customer base is NEVER a smart business move.
    Quote from Siaynoq

Quote from Tempest07

I'm not sorry at all for what I said. The guy was assuming just as much about everyone else by accusing us of stealing other people's work just cause we're not immediately coming out against piracy but instead having an open discussion about it. And he even said it twice. So as far as I'm concerned he bashed me just as much. I saw him that and raised him one.

Oh so you're one of those "Well since he did it, that gives me justification to do it back" sorta guys hmm? Interesting...

Quote from claven

Antagonizing your customer base is NEVER a smart business move.

I don't think their goal was to piss off gamers... they just want to protect their profits just like any business. However, look at Netflix, they changed their pricing and how they price streaming vs DVD shipments, and so many people got upset about it, that they changed back some of their service agreements... maybe Playstation will be hated so much between now and in 2 years when their new system is released that they might re-work what they are planning, into something more accommodating for people who are getting offended by this new stance.

-Temp
    Quote from Tempest07

Oh so you're one of those "Well since he did it, that gives me justification to do it back" sorta guys hmm? Interesting...

Sorry to disappoint you. But yeah, totally. I'm one of those sorta guys.
    Quote from Siaynoq

Quote from Tempest07

Sorry to disappoint you. But yeah, totally. I'm one of those sorta guys.

:QQ:

-Temp
    AND all i got from this is that you're a forum whore living with mom more worried about your comments and quotes than getting a career. see how easy it is to play this game
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes