Ideal keyboard !Suggestions! - stuck with 10 yr old one.

Hey guys!

The title pretty much says anything, i need a new keyboard! There's specific requirements that i need, beforehand i was used to the logitech g15 one, (the orange one) i had it for a couple of years until i splitted choco milk all over it as i came home from a night with the pals at the local bar. Worst day ever :-((

The reason i wanted to mention the g15 is because of the mechanism of the keyboard, i like the soft non-edgy feeling of the buttons, made me capable of being rapid when i used it. The second thing i would really like to have is the spam function it had, every button was in like.. hm, in 2 steps you could press it a bit down, but without the computer registered it, therefore the last 1-2mm did the thing, so you could spam very fast, but at the same time it was controlled.

Anything like this, i would like to try somethign new, i hate buying the same equipment over and over agian!

- Price-wise, no requirements, the only thing is that i will not pay for stuff which aren't necessary, like those with screens etc, tried one for a few days, didnt find it needed. Multiple bind-buttons aren't needed either.

Blue would be perfect (or one where you can change the colour)! matches both mouse and computer then :-)
    I have the Razer black widow ultimate and it is a great keyboard, mechanical too! It is however a bit pricey but you cant go wrong. its also glows( or pulses) blue
    The one I have is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-AGB-00006-Sidewinder-X6-Keyboard/dp/B001DC9TB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332968959&sr=8-1 and I am extremely satisfied with it. It doesn't have a spam button, but you can program a macro key to spam something in time intervals you choose. It is very flexible, and the removable numpad has helped me very much, both reducing space and being used as a macro pad. I've grown to use macros for many things outside of gaming, as I quitted wow for over a year and other games don't use macros that much (it's not the wow macros, it's programming keypresses).

It doesn't have a screen like the G15 or headset / usb plugs, and the illumination is only red. I really think it's a very good keyboard and I absolutely recommend it.
    Saitek PK24 Eclipse III Wired Keyboard

I have it and fucking love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-PK24-Eclipse-Wired-Keyboard/dp/B001EYU1SW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823175006
    Just as the Scorpion hunts...
    Silently Lurking...

"Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted." ~ Ezio Auditore de Firenze
    You need to be more specific :/

Do you want mechanical ? It's considered the best for gaming, but you won't see a lot of difference in your abilities unless you need a lot of key strokes like in STR games like Starcraft. It is usually considered strong, precise and quick.
    Example of mechanical keyboards:
    -Razer Blackwidow
    -Stealseries 7G
    -Mionix Zibal(they make only one)
    Others (ThermalTake)

Do you want backlight ? If you write a lot in the dark I feel its a requirement but its up to you.

Do you want macro keys ? (customizable keys that do multiple key strokes)

If you want mechanical what kind of switches do you want ?
    The main argument is Blue vs Black cherry switches. Blackwidow is Blue while the two others mentioned are Black. This is very important if you want a mechanical keyboard. The feeling and sound of both are very different. Blue is a lot more noisy since it has a clicky sound. Blue has a nonlinear "pressure" while black is linear. I preffer Black I find Blue really awkward for gaming but you gotta go try both. Also blue makes a lot of noise if you don't live alone are in a isolated room.
    Im using the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and I love it. The keys are a bit loud though.
    I use the Logitech G110. It's not too pricey, has 12 macro keys (with three memory settings, so 36 total), backlight in your choice of 4 colors, media control, a USB port, channels under the keyboard for cable management, and gaming mode (switch that toggles off the Windows key).

It's not a mechanical keyboard, because I don't like people hearing me type from a mile away, and it doesn't really matter.

I'd recommend it if you aren't a Razer fanboy.
    Quote from Sadpandakills

Im using the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and I love it. The keys are a bit loud though.

I have one also and love it..Back light is blue. has macro keys but i dont really use them much. you can get the stealth so it does not click click click.. I like the clicks haha.
    But some of my friends on skype complain about the noise.
    ERR37 Diablo 3 damage calculator http://code.google.com/p/dh-dmg-calc/
    Quote from aldrek

I use the Logitech G110. It's not too pricey, has 12 macro keys (with three memory settings, so 36 total), backlight in your choice of 4 colors, media control, a USB port, channels under the keyboard for cable management, and gaming mode (switch that toggles off the Windows key).

It's not a mechanical keyboard, because I don't like people hearing me type from a mile away, and it doesn't really matter.

I'd recommend it if you aren't a Razer fanboy.

I recommend this too.
    Invest in a mouse. Any keyboard with regular letters and numbers will do. I mean, typing to other players doesn't require an expensive keyboard, and getting an upper class one isn't really going to allow you to play Diablo any better. You're mostly going to use 1-4,5? and Q.
    "The Unchosen" Pain of Admirance Sigil (For those without -Feat of Strength-):

http://i.imgur.com/O7Oeo.png

I received TWO beta keys. Eat it and like it.
    Quote from Ayr

You need to be more specific :/

Do you want mechanical ? It's considered the best for gaming, but you won't see a lot of difference in your abilities unless you need a lot of key strokes like in STR games like Starcraft. It is usually considered strong, precise and quick.
    Example of mechanical keyboards:
    -Razer Blackwidow
    -Stealseries 7G
    -Mionix Zibal(they make only one)
    Others (ThermalTake)

Do you want backlight ? If you write a lot in the dark I feel its a requirement but its up to you.

Do you want macro keys ? (customizable keys that do multiple key strokes)

If you want mechanical what kind of switches do you want ?
    The main argument is Blue vs Black cherry switches. Blackwidow is Blue while the two others mentioned are Black. This is very important if you want a mechanical keyboard. The feeling and sound of both are very different. Blue is a lot more noisy since it has a clicky sound. Blue has a nonlinear "pressure" while black is linear. I preffer Black I find Blue really awkward for gaming but you gotta go try both. Also blue makes a lot of noise if you don't live alone are in a isolated room.

Didn't i make myself clear? Sorry, i mentioned both about the colour (which results in backlight aswell) and then i dont have macros as a requirements. I am not that much into keyboards, therefore i made this thread. I would like one similar to the g15, call it a squirrel, mechanical i dont care :-)
    Well do you need a mechanical keyboard or not? Because that's a huge difference and that's why the prices on some of those keyboards are so expensive...

If you do want a mechanical keyboard, what color mechanical keys do you want? If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Here is a picture of my keyboard. It is a daskeyboard with cherry blue mechanical switches. I like the tactile feel and the audible clicking.

-Temp
    Excellent, thanks for the guide aswell! Yes mechanical would be the deal :-) Exactly what i was trying to describe regarding the g15 :-)

- Edit: After reading further on, i think the blue switches(Cherry MX Blue Switches) is the deal!
    The difference between cherry blues and cherry browns is the noise... the blues 'click' whereas the browns have the tactile feel but they don't make the clicky noise... some people thing it's really loud... go to youtube and lookup videos on cherry blue keyboards and you can hear the difference... or go to a store that sells cherry blue keyboards and you can test your typing on them...

Razer Blackwidow uses cherry blue mechanical switches (tactile feel, clicky noise)
    Razer Blackwidow Silent Edition uses cherry brown mechanical switches (tactile feel, no clicky noise)
    Steel Series 6Gv2 uses cherry black mechanical switches (linear feel)

There are several other brands that use the same switches, you just need to shop around and find what is best for you. The reason why I did not want the Blackwidow is because I didn't need the extra backlighting and all that on my keys... also the macro buttons on the left side would have annoyed me and got in my way, and lastly because the Left-Shift key is much smaller as compared to a normal keyboard, and that would have been too foreign for me to handle. My DasKeyboard was just as expensive as the Blackwidow, without the macro keys and the backlighting. Sounds like the Blackwidow would be a good option for you since you want the backlit keys....

These are the most common switches for mechanical... the rest are hard to find...it's all about preference...

FPS/Shooters people seem to like black most commonly
    Blue/Brown are essentially the same, one being more noisy than the other...

I bought my DasKeyboard with blues (They also have one with brown switches) and I love it... I type much faster using mechanical switches rather than membrane keys (standard keyboard uses membranes). Overall mechanical keyboards last pretty much forever, better response in the keys, and you can press every key on the keyboard and your computer will register every key (with a standard keyboard only about 6 keys will ever register at once).
    I bought my mechanical keyboard because I wanted something better for my FPS games, my APM for Starcraft, and my overall typing. It doesn't improve your gameplay very much, but it just feels better on your fingers... (And I think it should, since the average mechanical keyboard costs about $120).

In any case, I think you would most prefer the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (The Ultimate is the one with the backlit keys). Now as far as Brown vs Blue, that's just your preference in noise and feel. Good luck. :) Glad I can help.

-Temp
    Just .. NICE! :-) Excellent, just nice mate! Cheers for the help, a friend of mine has the ultimate one and i will visit him today so i can start slammering on that board of his! I apprecaite all the explanation aswell, good job man :-)
    I use a corsair Vengeance 90 that I got as a demo.... pretty slick mechanical keyboard that uses reds. They're pretty much like blacks except they are almost psychic in their response. it retails for around 120 iirc, best keyboard i've ever had.
    Quote from Arreat

I have the Razer black widow ultimate and it is a great keyboard, mechanical too! It is however a bit pricey but you cant go wrong. its also glows( or pulses) blue

I can recommend this as well. Great keyboard.
    Even tho mechanical keyboards perform slightly better theres other things to consider. Mechanical keyboards are nice if you live on your own or your house is well isolated between rooms. If you have thin walls and people sharing the floor with you, mechanical keyboards might be quite annoying for your roommates. For example, i can hear my bro type from pretty much the entire upper floor.

I went for the MS sidewinder X6 cause next to gaming, i also have to deal with calculations and other tedious stuff for study/work. The detachable notepad which you can also fit on the left side of the keyboard is gods gift to men. It's also alot more quiet, not one of the quietest keyboards still, but it wont keep people awake atleast. Also it has lower profile keys, which i prefer over clunky big keys anyday.

Unfortunatly, the keys react instantly and they dont have a real area of not responding. But due to the low profile its not much of a big deal. Backlighting is red (and adjustable, just not in color, only density). Something like 90 macros total or we can be saved and the notepad can function as a macropad aswell, turning all buttons into macros.

I love it, but i guess i might be selling you a wrong board here :P Still worth promoting tho as its perfect for me and prefer it over the logitechs.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes