Demon Hunter painting

Hi everyone, I've made a painting with the demon hunter, so I thought I'd share it with the Diablo community.
    Comments are welcome.

Thanks for viewing!

My portfolio > www.deligaris.com
    My Studio > www.skullpaint.com
    That is truly bad-ass!
    Quote from Don_guillotine

That is truly bad-ass!

agree
    thats amazing! i hope blizzard gets a look at this because its amazing, keep it up!
    That's real good! Do some more of the other classes!
    WTB monk painting : )

nice work,

Nice work! I really like this one.
    Evil is in its prime...
    Do a MALE modern Diablo please :)
    Nice.
    Amazing picture!

Why does everybody paint/model the DH? I find it the least interesting class.
    Awesome pose/coloring/lighting, but there are a couple anatomy/perspective things you could improve.

1. His left hand is tiny. It's hard to tell on the right hand, but it looks pretty small as well.

For some reason there are only pictures of chicks doing similar poses...

But yeah, hands are big.

2. His mouth kinda lays flat on his face, rather than wrapping backward. This could be by design, but the way you have it makes me think of this:

Rather than this:

Still awesome though, and I think fixing both of those (not really time consuming) would make it pretty much 100% awesome.
    Thanks for the nice feedback everyone!

@Omninom: Thanks for the cc; I guess you mean his right hand, because his left one is not visible. Obviously some parts in the anatomy are out of proportion/exaggerated, as I wasn't going for a physically accurate design (ie. his head is also much smaller and the legs much larger than they should). But yeah, I agree the hand is small (in the barbarian it should look huge). Regarding the mouth, I initially made it like the second ref, but it looked kind of mild, so I went for something more expressive/hatred-ish - which is closer to the first ref.

@DieHardBastionFan: Thanks! IMO, the least interesting would be the witch doctor.
    I love it! The mood is spot on. :)
    Quote from Wargasmic

Thanks for the nice feedback everyone!

@Omninom: Thanks for the cc; I guess you mean his right hand, because his left one is not visible. Obviously some parts in the anatomy are out of proportion/exaggerated, as I wasn't going for a physically accurate design (ie. his head is also much smaller and the legs much larger than they should). But yeah, I agree the hand is small (in the barbarian it should look huge). Regarding the mouth, I initially made it like the second ref, but it looked kind of mild, so I went for something more expressive/hatred-ish - which is closer to the first ref.

The size of the head I assumed (apparently correctly) was intentional, and it looks good in that proportion.

But while the hands normally tend to be measured in contrast with the head, if you start expanding the torso and the hands don't grow with it the hands just look wrong. Like a how a really fat guy's arms tend to look stubby.

It could be put down as a taste thing, but I think you should try repainting them a bit larger. I assume you're using layers, you could probably sketch it in like fifteen minutes and see what you think.

As for the mouth, I totally see where you're coming from. But his mouth looks like a gash, without much definition of the cheeks/chin/etc around it.

I shooped up the changes I'm talking about. Took about 30 minutes, and I don't have your layers or my pen tablet, so you could do a much better job in less time I'm certain.

Rawr.

This was hasty, but the face already looks much more defined and volumetric, without losing any of the hatred of the expression. Hand changes are included as well, also quite rough, but the difference is still very apparent.

I'd like to emphasize again that I think the mood/lighting/colors are all awesome. These changes are just the minor tweaks that take it from "pretty awesome" to "really awesome" I think.

Edit: You changed it! Your new mouth/cheek definition is much better :)

You changed it! Your new mouth/cheek definition is much better :)

Yeah, I fixed the hand size and the cheeks, and I also tweaked the elbow a bit; I think it looks more solid now. Thanks again for your time! :)
    Quote from Wargasmic

You changed it! Your new mouth/cheek definition is much better :)

Yeah, I fixed the hand size and the cheeks, and I also tweaked the elbow a bit; I think it looks more solid now. Thanks again for your time! :)

Always happy to give feedback to another artist, it's a great painting!
    He looks like he will cut you lol

great job!
    Great work! Loving it.

Checked out some of the other pieces in your portfolio. You have some really impressive work there!
    This is amazing! I don't really see any proprtioning problems with the hands. He's a big buff guy in armor, with unarmored hands, so it makes sense. Measure from base of the palm to tip of the index finger is about the same as from his chin to half way up his forehead, which is fairly normal? Love the pose, the armor details, everything!
    Nice work man. Very nice
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes