Discussion: The last class is NOT a ranged class

I don't think they will skip the ranged class (I'm not against it) because they have shown a bow and talked about how arrows are beeing handled. My view of the role of the characters is entirely different so I'm getting nothing from that. The ranged character is a classic archetype so I doubt that Blizzard doesn't make it. It is the easiest thing to do if they want to avoid the troube of making hybrids. The only long range character that we have is the Wizard, and it uses magic damage. We don't have a ranged physical character yet. I'm guessing that it would be partly melee too, kindof like the Amazon, but with more emphasis on using both the bow and the melee weapon. The bow was forgotten in D2 :(

Kaiser, why would you want a stealthy character? Sneaking up on one Fallen isn't going to help because it would have 40 friends right next to it.
    As someone stated earlier, it might be a class mixed between the Amazon and Druid. You know, a ranger who has the power to summon the forces of the wilderness or something. He can also use a bit of melee, but has peak damage with range. He can also use the elements to his advantage. Just my thoughts.

EDIT: BUT, something that would be REALLY badass would be a character who was a Demon at a point, working for Diablo, and converted to the side of the heroes. He would have all the kick-ass skills taught to him by the experienced demons, and you would be able to use the skills against them. That would be awesome. Just imagine playing this evil-looking creature with horns and hideous (in a good way :P) features. Awesome...
    Will be a Long Range class.
    Bow or gunner or slingshot... :P
    Ok, so i've read through you guys' posts, and i agree with your argumentations and understand your logic.
    BUT
    Since when has Blizzard ever acted according to logic? I mean, we're talking about a bunch of guys who made a Secret Cow Level and even a completely useless Gem in the chatroom.
    So my guess is that they're going to come up with something entirely unexspected. Jay said that the last character will be one from one of the previous games, that's a fairly wide range of possibilities!
    So anyone going to play the "Insert random Diablo character/enemy" class on their first playthrough ?:O

#EDIT

Quote from "sabreSKULL" »

EDIT: BUT, something that would be REALLY badass would be a character who was a Demon at a point, working for Diablo, and converted to the side of the heroes. He would have all the kick-ass skills taught to him by the experienced demons, and you would be able to use the skills against them. That would be awesome. Just imagine playing this evil-looking creature with horns and hideous (in a good way :P) features. Awesome...

That's excactly one of the scenarios i find plausible!
    Quote from "ydemonhunter" »
    Will be a Long Range class.
    Bow or gunner or slingshot... :P

There won't be guns in D3...
    Quote from "Dallaren" »
    Ok, so i've read through you guys' posts, and i agree with your argumentations and understand your logic.
    BUT
    Since when has Blizzard ever acted according to logic? I mean, we're talking about a bunch of guys who made a Secret Cow Level and even a completely useless Gem in the chatroom.
    So my guess is that they're going to come up with something entirely unexspected. Jay said that the last character will be one from one of the previous games, that's a fairly wide range of possibilities!
    So anyone going to play the "Insert random Diablo character/enemy" class on their first playthrough ?:O
    !

That's not a good argument. The Secret Cow Level was made because rumors & hype from fans made them to - otherwise people would keep asking them if there was a secret cow level in Diablo 1. The only way to avoid that was making a secret cow level for Diablo 2. The gem itself is just decoration, maybe something to create hype.

Everything in Diablo III so far has been logical. And the next logic thing is the return of the Amazon or the Rogue.

Oh and about a stealth class of hero - because this is not a very standard type of hero, it would probably be introduced in the expansion(s).
    Issues with Diablo II? Find solutions to some issues on my Wiki page. If you know about some issues and/or their solutions, please PM me and I will add them to the list.
    Not the Amazon. That is confirmed.
    thats why i think it'll be a warrior/ranger.. no way a pure ranged

i jst cant see the barb with a shield and i know the shield skill that he has.. :confused:

a guy that uses a fast sword and a shield with one tree, bow at other and one more tree for passives and such, its a balanced and ranged char

this is the last class for me
    That is actually a problem. Damage is way to fun for people to sacrifice a weapon for a shield with the Barbarian. They should implement some sort of reward system for taking hits, that way it encourages Barbarians to use shields too.
    So far all D3 characters are extremely classical but creative somehow.
    I bet the next class is a rogue.
    "In time the hissing of her sanity
    Faded out her voice and soiled her name
    And like marked pages in a diary
    Everything seemed clean that is unstained
    The incoherent talk of ordinary days
    Why would we really need to live?
    Decide what is clear and what's within a haze
    What you should take and what to give" - Opeth
    Quote from "italofoca" »
    I bet the next class is a rogue.

After reading a lot of stuff I'm with you on that one.
    If it has been confirmed that the final class is not the amazon, then the final class will be the Rogue.
    Issues with Diablo II? Find solutions to some issues on my Wiki page. If you know about some issues and/or their solutions, please PM me and I will add them to the list.
    I'm still hoping for the bandit :P The one that had some concept art. It looked badass.
    Sorry but I really couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread. Nevertheless I read the original post and I find your logic to be completely illogical. It's really pointless to argue about whether Blizzard will decide to surprise us all and make the last class something else than a ranger or whatever. To me it seems quiet unlikely that such a great and epic game like Diablo can go on without a classic bow / crossbow class. It must be there and it will - maybe a hybrid just to make it a little different but still I guarantee it that this class is sth that you just can not get rid of.

It's like getting rid of meat in a hamburger if you see my point.
    "Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."
    Quote from "blood-doll" »

...your skills are a part of your character, they're one aspect of who your character fundamentally is...my cautious decisions...should give me an advantage.
    considering all those statements given by jay and the dev team, meaningly that the barbarian will be the only returning class, and that the current 5th character is already familiar with us, means that there will be neither a rogue (archer like) nor amazon nor druid, since in d2 and d1 there didnt exist any amazon/druid like hybrids.
    aslong as the statement that the next class is familiar with us, is valid, there is only a pretty limited choice of classes, meaningly every character from the previous 2 games (not counting in the classes)

there are not so many choices for characters that area actually able to fight, since most have been npcs, and those who are able to fight do already exist

so none of the mercenarys is possible. this leaves us not many choices.

possible choices left then are:
    (crap thought i could put a few names in here, but there wont come any in my mind that arent covered yet)
    ogden the tavern owner (lolbard)

so its just ogden that nasty tavern guy, but i guess we wont get to play him... also considering any other merchant to play wont be fun i guess

so the only choice left would be tyrael, left in a mortal form after being stripped of his power by the angel council :?, since he destroyed that big red stone, ye know
    Heavily armored, blade-wielding magic-slinging Knights.

With Horadric ties.

/plottwist

P.S. - With pretty shields to get scuffed on the front lines!
    The Archivist might not be joke in the end...
    Quote from "emilemil1" »
    The Archivist might not be joke in the end...

lol, coming from blizzard, i can imagine that
    Quote from "OathofChaos" »
    Okay, I've read a lot of threads saying that the last class will be some sort of Rogue // Amazon type thing.

The whole point of this thread is to discuss how it won't be (or for you to prove me wrong). I will be using logic and citations to prove my case. Please be mature and discuss rationally.

We've seen several archetypes thus far in what Blizzard has released:
    ~Barbarian - Sword and Shield type pure Melee warrior
    ~Witch Doctor - Enemy Manipulation, Damage over Time, and minion creator
    ~Wizard - Pure caster
    ~Monk - Speed Powerhouse

And Damage Archetypes being;
    ~Pure Strong Melee (Barbarian)
    ~Disease and Fire (Witch Doctor)
    ~Lightning, Arcane, Cold (Wizard)
    ~Holy and Fast, Weaker Melee (Monk)

Now, if you've seen any of the gameplay footage, we all know that each class can hold its own in both short and long range battles. Even the Barbarian uses Ground Slam and Leap Attack, and the Wizard uses something similar to Arcane Explosion.
    Barbarian Gameplay Video
    Witch Doctor Gameplay Video
    Wizard Gameplay Video
    Monk Gameplay Video

Being that each class is capable of decimating its opponent at all ranges, we can safely assume that the last class will be able to do that very same thing. Based on this strand of logic, the last class cannot be a pure ranged class.

Now, someone had pointed out to me earlier that a short bow was shown as a dropped item in the Barbarian gameplay trailer at around 3:55. That is an excellent counterpoint, but the only issue is that the game has evolved quite a bit since then. To illustrate my point, I challenge you to find a Staff, some type of Claw-type weapon, or a wizard's orb in any of the previous videos, before the class was announced. I watched each video closely and didn't find it at all. Why? The game has changed tremendously.

So, now that I've finally laid my claim, I challenge you all to an honest debate as to why I'm wrong.

There will be claw weapons(fist weapons), there is evena rt work of them on diablo 3 official site, lol.
    think harder people. first of all blizzard is definitely not going to just erase ranged weapons from the game. so there is going to be a ranged class. i apologize to oathofchaos but i disagree. however i don't think that its going to be the same old arrow/javalin slinger like in D2. If you look at the already existing classes, the only one to survive was the barbarian only because it sucked in D2 and they felt they should revamp it to be an awesome slaughter machine we all expect a barbarian to be. i think its going to be something completely different. but still utilizing the ranged weapons.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes