Samurai yes or no?

Absolutely not.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions
    I laughed when I saw the name of this thread
    I can imagine Lucy Liu as the female version of the Samurai.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions
    Quote from name="-Mephisto"s Lament-" »
    Absolutely not.

Quote from "Azoruk" »
    I laughed when I saw the name of this thread

Quote from name="-Mephisto"s Lament-" »
    I can imagine Lucy Liu as the female version of the Samurai.

Spammers... Read the thread, not only the title. Not only the OP either as the thread is pretty long which means what youll say to the OP has probably been asked before.
    There were better asian themed classes than a Samurai and even if it were a samurai they wouldn't be called samurai, they'd be called Ronin since they're not protecting a Daimyo and just wandering. Hell if we want to keep it completely japanese, there could be Shinto priests, or wandering battle monks. Even a demi-god of the lake of some inconspicuous village.
    Putting Samurai into Diablo is a bad idea. As I've said, part of what makes Diablo great is that it it noticeably different from other rpgs of our time in that it doesnt try to hop onto the whole "japanime bandwagon."

Japanese games are great, but so many of them are so crappy nowadays. For example compare Soul Calibur 2's version of Nightmare to Soul Calibur 4's version, the first is believable and awesome looking, the newer one follows japan's current media trend of making everything rediculously and bizarrely over-ornate and improbable. Or compare final fantasy 7 with final fantasy 12. 7 was more believable, with structurally accurate armor and stuff. Final fantasy 12 has bunny people and has ruined great characters like Bahamut and so on by making them look rediculously ornate.

Diablo games are loved by many because the armor looks more brutal and manly because it isnt rediculously frilly and ornate, its simple and believable, making it look more intimidating and frightening. The weapons are also believable, based on real and usable designs. Were Diablo 3 to go with a japanese design, the swords would be rediculously huge and so ornate they wouldnt even be believably used, or they could even turn out being keyblades(*spits on the ground and curses*)!

The point is, i have nothing against japanese culture or the existence of japanese rpg games, but i want them off of purer, darker, and more awe-inspiring series like Diablo.
    Depends on the region but personally I'd like to see D3 take on a more Nordic "13th Warrior" theme for the most part, the intro seems to be inline with that.
    This is from another thread:
    Quote from "Roger" »
    Dunno if there's room for a samurai. The barbarian takes both places of dual-wielding and two-handed melee (that would fit Samurai). It would probably be a better idea if the Barbarian wasn't already chosen.

I think that Diablo has yet room for a stealth rogue (the Diablo 1 rogue didn't do a lot more than an archer) that would fit in the ranged-attack role. The arcane mage, because in D2 the arcane spells known as 'magic damage' weren't in sorceress skills. Probably a wizard with elemental and arcane skills.

I could speculate more, like a leader summoner with auras and a melee class with some magic, like a cleric or something. Diablo has never seen something that remind healers. But those aren't that much probable.

I have a nice 5-class theory including the "samurai". "xxxxx" means that the name is just a sample. "Ronin" fits better than "Samurai", but it wouldnt be a real Ronin either.

Barbarian: Very strong furious melee, using dual weapons or two handed. Can use throwing weapons.
    "Knight": A bit more on the defensive side, but can be turned into a ranged class as well, depending on the build. Can use two handed knight-type weapons or weapon&shield. Also uses XBows and some European bow types. Maybe even javelins.
    "Ronin": Can be chosen between "stealth" and "melee only" when creating your build. Uses fast two handed or dual weapons. Can use long bows and some other ranged weapons unique to him as well.
    "Sorceror/ess": Our usual caster who uses directly damaging spells as main source of offense. Has a lot of other spell stuff as well of course.
    Witch Doctor: Miscellaneous spells like debuffs as well as some damaging spells unique to him (disease). Does also summon creatures.

Is there anything here that i left out? The ranged weapons are divided between the fighter classes. In my opinion its ridiculous to have a class that can use bows, xbows, javelins and all at once. (Amazons dont really use xbows.)

Now you think that the gameplay of the barb and Japanese warrior are very similar, not? Even if you choose melee with the "ronin", the difference between him and the barb will be just like a martial arts assassin and the other melee classes in D2.

My ideas may have many flaws, but it shows that they could easily open room for some Japanese warrior.

Quote from "Ranim" »
    There were better asian themed classes than a Samurai and even if it were a samurai they wouldn't be called samurai, they'd be called Ronin since they're not protecting a Daimyo and just wandering. Hell if we want to keep it completely japanese, there could be Shinto priests, or wandering battle monks. Even a demi-god of the lake of some inconspicuous village.

Sure it wont be a real Samurai. That got explained before. Its not even a Ronin. Its just a fighter type class thats influenced by Japanese warriors. Like the Assassin and Ninjas of the real world. Ninja have absolutely nothing to do with slaying groups of enemies in reality, but the Sin does.

Quote from "BrutalBarbarian" »
    Putting Samurai into Diablo is a bad idea. As I've said, part of what makes Diablo great is that it it noticeably different from other rpgs of our time in that it doesnt try to hop onto the whole "japanime bandwagon."

Japanese games are great, but so many of them are so crappy nowadays. For example compare Soul Calibur 2's version of Nightmare to Soul Calibur 4's version, the first is believable and awesome looking, the newer one follows japan's current media trend of making everything rediculously and bizarrely over-ornate and improbable. Or compare final fantasy 7 with final fantasy 12. 7 was more believable, with structurally accurate armor and stuff. Final fantasy 12 has bunny people and has ruined great characters like Bahamut and so on by making them look rediculously ornate.

Diablo games are loved by many because the armor looks more brutal and manly because it isnt rediculously frilly and ornate, its simple and believable, making it look more intimidating and frightening. The weapons are also believable, based on real and usable designs. Were Diablo 3 to go with a japanese design, the swords would be rediculously huge and so ornate they wouldnt even be believably used, or they could even turn out being keyblades(*spits on the ground and curses*)!

The point is, i have nothing against japanese culture or the existence of japanese rpg games, but i want them off of purer, darker, and more awe-inspiring series like Diablo.

You are brainwashed by all the ridiculous Holywood films and anime. :P

Even real Ninja have absolutely nothing to do with what you think. They really are kickass and not in the way they show it us in cartoons or films. Though they arent about killing, so they only could be implemented like the assassin.

Read about Ninja and Samurai in Wikipedia and youll see. Thats really almost all i do and im no Samurai expert or something. =P
    Samurai history have nothing to do with European dark ages Christian believes - in which Diablo take place.
    So Samurai should be out of question to get inside Diablo.

The only reasonable characters could be :

Knigts ( including Paladins )
    Wizzards ( in form of Sorcerers also )
    Assasins
    Necromancers
    Barberians ( Viking or Nomads form )
    Monks
    Bards
    Demon hunters ( including Dragon slayers )

Nothing else is reasoable for this period.
    Period !
    A knight is sworn to valor.
    His heart knows only virtue.
    His blade defends the helpless.
    His might upholds the weak.
    His word speaks only truth.
    His wrath undoes the wicked!
    Quote from "sonicpld" »
    Samurai history have nothing to do with European dark ages Christian believes - in which Diablo take place.

Wrong from the beginning. That makes the rest useless, sadly.

Diablo takes place in Sanctuary. The whole Sanctuary, which is the whole world.

Also dont say that our world's far-east does not exist in Sanctuary. See sig. There are examples in D2 too, but the D1 ones are just so obvious, thats why i chose them.
    It may not be "far-east" in Sanctuary, but the culture of the real far-east does exist in Diablo, no doubt.

I hope Xiansai, the far-north, is our worlds far-east.

I could have just said "Act 2 is not European. Period.", but then someone would mention the fact that the middle-east is much more reasonable because it was in interaction with Europe etc. etc. etc..

Again, Diablo takes place in whole Sanctuary, and Sanctuary does have the culture of our worlds far-east.

Period. :P
    I don't know if there ought to be samurai in Diablo III. What I do know is that this thread was very confusing to read.

I've never played Diablo I but have seen graphics of its "Asian-themed" items. To say there aren't any Asian references in Diablo II, though, is foolish. You have the cho-no-ku as mentioned, the Jade Tan Do is a normal unique dagger, the General's Tan Do Li Ga is a normal unique mace, and Mang Song's Lesson is an elite unique staff...granted, Mang Song feels like a name and might possibly not refer to an "Asian-themed" name but my other references hold true.

To say one can't imagine an Asian-themed society in the world of Sanctuary is just as foolish, I think. Imagine playing Diablo I and hearing rumors of a desert/"Arabian-themed" land in the sequel before it was released; would anyone have been just as upset? I don't know about anyone else but Act II was my favorite. Light armor because of desert heat, the preferred usage of polearms, grand palaces filled with harems ruled by a sultan (or at least a prince with a turban)...come on! How can one complain about taking too many specifics from Earth-cultures?

Paladins are 100% European. Sure, there are religious warriors and defenders of the faith in many cultures...but heavily armored knights acting as an inquisition against unbelievers at the behest of a Pope-like figure (Que-Hegan)...They're copy and pasted right out of an Earth-culture's history. Amazons are out of Greek mythology, druids were basically in the British Isles and ancient Gaul (same with bards, at least in name). Yeah monks have Christian histories, too, but they're still mostly associated with Asian cultures. Although many ancient cultures have histories of shamanism, people still even associate witch doctors with Africa or the Caribbean.

My point is even if you don't want samurai in Diablo III, those reasons that I mentioned were poor I think
    Quote from "Reseru" »
    I've never played Diablo I but have seen graphics of its "Asian-themed" items. To say there aren't any Asian references in Diablo II, though, is foolish.

The game is set in a European culture and the story is purely European. However since it's based on item hounding they wanted to have many different types of weapons, and since there is not that much diversity in European weapons, they just started getting inspiration from other cultures. So yes, the artwork on certain items is Asian referenced, but I think this is due to a lack-of-attention-to-detail-or-realism on the behalf of the art department, rather than any intentional / legitimate references to other cultures, which would have shown up in the story, if they existed.

That said, neither Diablo 1 or Diablo 2 have emphasized significant attention to detail or consistency in their stories or production. The mere concept of having a monastery descend through a zillion levels down into the very depths of hell is pretty ridiculous. In the first game it was pretty shameless...basically a graphically amped roguelike, they didnt care much about plot then. They tried to turn this around a bit in D2, but they added a cow level based on fan rumours, a jungle level obviously inspired by some Mayan or similar culture, and a desert level inspired by Egyptian and Persian culture. Therefore I would not be surprised if we see some levels more directly inspired by Asian culture. I have no problem with that...it would be a little different. But to say that they have already Asian influences in the game, I think that is a weak argument.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote from "mahamoti" »
    Show your support on this thread!
    Quote from "mahamoti" »
    But to say that they have already Asian influences in the game, I think that is a weak argument.

It seems that the Diablo series has implied an Asian-culture moreso than a middle-eastern or meso-american one, except for the settings themselves. In other words: in terms of items and character classes there has been more Asian references than either of the aforementioned ones. I see the Jade Tan Do but not Moctezuma's Jaguarknife
    Quote from "Kenzai" »
    This is from another thread:

Barbarian: Very strong furious melee, using dual weapons or two handed. Can use throwing weapons.
    "Knight": A bit more on the defensive side, but can be turned into a ranged class as well, depending on the build. Can use two handed knight-type weapons or weapon&shield. Also uses XBows and some European bow types. Maybe even javelins.
    "Ronin": Can be chosen between "stealth" and "melee only" when creating your build. Uses fast two handed or dual weapons. Can use long bows and some other ranged weapons unique to him as well.
    "Sorceror/ess": Our usual caster who uses directly damaging spells as main source of offense. Has a lot of other spell stuff as well of course.
    Witch Doctor: Miscellaneous spells like debuffs as well as some damaging spells unique to him (disease). Does also summon creatures.

3 Classes without magic ?!
    They allready said the barbarian will be the one and the only one to be mastered (and restricted) to physical attacks. Theorically our next 3 classes will be link to some elements or magical effects.
    "In time the hissing of her sanity
    Faded out her voice and soiled her name
    And like marked pages in a diary
    Everything seemed clean that is unstained
    The incoherent talk of ordinary days
    Why would we really need to live?
    Decide what is clear and what's within a haze
    What you should take and what to give" - Opeth
    I was always under the impression that the Assassin was ins some way Asian influenced, considering the shuriken, emphasis on stealth, martial arts and poison she uses I think it's logical to assume she is Sanctuary's counter-part to the Ninja.
    Don't try to be a great man, just be a man... and let history make its own judgment. -Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek
    Quote from "italofoca" »
    They allready said the barbarian will be the one and the only one to be mastered (and restricted) to physical attacks.

Without magic? In the gameplay video it looks to me that the barbarian is just a brawny mage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote from "mahamoti" »
    Show your support on this thread!
    Quote from "mahamoti" »
    Without magic? In the gameplay video it looks to me that the barbarian is just a brawny mage

How so? Every skill the Barbarian has done makes sense. He slams the ground hard enough so the force travels forward, hence Seismic Slam. Maybe it's because the animation is similar to a "showy" spell, maybe something you would see from a spellcaster?

His stomp, once again, is showing his strength. His leap was already in D2 as well as Whirlwhind.

I don't see how the Barb is even close to a mage at all.
    According to Rob Pardo, Diablo 3 is still early in development. I predict Q4 2010 release. Source : http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/qa-blizzards-ex.html
    a samurai character would be amazing. that's actually a pretty exciting idea. perhaps it could take the paladin's place? and since they come from an era before guns, it even makes sense historically. (not that history is a major deciding factor, but still...) a samurai could be sort of an agile warrior class, not quite a stealthy class (because of the armor or course)

i would love to play a samurai. the idea seems way more sophisticated than a ninja, which would seem sorta cliche and out-of-place. i just hope no one says "hey, let's throw in a pirate."

Quote from "sonicpld" »

The only reasonable characters could be :

Knigts ( including Paladins )
    Wizzards ( in form of Sorcerers also )
    Assasins
    Necromancers
    Barberians ( Viking or Nomads form )
    Monks
    Bards
    Demon hunters ( including Dragon slayers )

Nothing else is reasoable for this period.
    Period !

Knights? would be sort of a downgrade from the paladin, and too close to the barbarian
    Monks, following the D&D style, would be out of the question since they don't wear armor or weapons or...anything, really. there would be no point to playing one since items are a huge focus in diablo games (and rpgs in general)
    Bards sound reasonable. i'm sure Blizzard could do something cool with them. perhaps a lot of buffs, debuffs, fear effects, stuff like that
    Demon hunters? no. every single class in the game is technically a demon hunter unless all they choose to do do is stand around in town or kill wildlife...
    Stay.
    You don't always know where you stand,
    'Till you know that you won't run away.
    There's something inside me that feels...
    Like breathing in sulfur.

-Slipknot
    no fucking samurai. its far too specific. it would be like having knights templar in diablo, that would be retarded...
    Quote from "Num3n" »
    no fucking samurai. its far too specific. it would be like having knights templar in diablo, that would be retarded...

10х
    No Samurai in D3
    Always be on the lookout for the little rabbit that can jump from the bush.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes