Classes by geographic reasons

I know that Blizzard has gone completely overboard in recent years when it comes to being politically correct, but I do hope that they don't twist the arm of the game to adhere to some psuedo-ethnic multicultural rainbow nightmare.

In another thread, someone speaks of nationality in this context, but a far more relevant subject would be that of ethnicity. Everyone here seems to automaticly assume that the uncivilized Barbarian is the "Western/North-Western" character.

The Barbarians is a very distinct ethnicity in Sanctuary. If we're discussing classes based on geography, there really needs to be a class from the heartlands of Westmarch/Tristram, a whole world away from the Barbarians & Druids of the North, just as valid as an middle-eastern inspired mercenary from Lut Gholein, or a "half-demon samurai with eyelazers from Xinsai, lol".

Here's to see some god-fearing and just crusaders!
    :cool:
    "To be modern only means to fill new forms with eternal truths". - The Inquisitor.
    "A child laughs when it feels joy and cries when it feels pain. Both things, laughing and crying it does with it's whole heart. We all became so tall and so clever. We know so much and we have read so much. But one thing we forgot: to laugh and cry like the children do". - The Ranger.
    I agree that we will probably get a westmarch-area class. that's definitely fine with me, but I do hope they get creative with it. westmarch certainly seems to be the most "medieval-european" styled areas, and it makes sense to have a character of that type since the diablo games stem from a mythos that is very central to that theme.

I think the biggest (and really only) drawback is that the medieval european theme dominates fantasy type games and consequently the character types are really familiar and potentially worn out. I'm not saying there's not room for creativity and I totally believe blizzard could pull out a really inspired, incredibly compelling character from westmarch.

Whether a good ol' crusading knight could fit the bill? maybe, he certainly has a place in the diablo world and I'll admit that the game might feel a little emptier without him. but I do really hope for some serious innovation if they go that route.
    Quote from "filch" »
    I agree that we will probably get a westmarch-area class. that's definitely fine with me, but I do hope they get creative with it. westmarch certainly seems to be the most "medieval-european" styled areas, and it makes sense to have a character of that type since the diablo games stem from a mythos that is very central to that theme.

I think the biggest (and really only) drawback is that the medieval european theme dominates fantasy type games and consequently the character types are really familiar and potentially worn out. I'm not saying there's not room for creativity and I totally believe blizzard could pull out a really inspired, incredibly compelling character from westmarch.

Whether a good ol' crusading knight could fit the bill? maybe, he certainly has a place in the diablo world and I'll admit that the game might feel a little emptier without him. but I do really hope for some serious innovation if they go that route.
    Inquisitor! Inquisitor! Inquisitor!
    A good, honest-to-god, zelous priest! Burning heretics and infidels for the greater good, without being either the traditional "evil, overzelous, brainwashed murderer" or the "pious love-your-neighbor monk". Cleansing evil, and the corruption within, standing against the very real forces of hell! By fire be purged, demonspawn! >=(
    "To be modern only means to fill new forms with eternal truths". - The Inquisitor.
    "A child laughs when it feels joy and cries when it feels pain. Both things, laughing and crying it does with it's whole heart. We all became so tall and so clever. We know so much and we have read so much. But one thing we forgot: to laugh and cry like the children do". - The Ranger.
    Actually, the Westmarch fellow might be more of a hunter. I only say this because of Franklin Burroughs. The name is the most western/english sounding name I have ever heard. Now as far as other names goes, Westmarch is about as western/english as it goes. Tristram is an Irish name. That, and this area has seen a lot of action. A professional beast-slayer like Burroghs would be in demand.
    Quote from "DieHardDiabloFan" »
    My guess for the next class is a middle-eastern kind of rogue, with a turban, that uses daggers, bows and traps (that would cover the 3 skill trees), and resembles the guy from assassin's creed.
    [...]
    Yeah, I'd love that. An Assassin's Creed, Middle Eastern-inspired cloak-and-dagger rogue, with a knife in one hand, a torch in the other, and 3kg of dynamite inside the vest.

Going out in style, hashishin-style! :P
    Could we be overlooking the possibility that the new class can adhere to the cultural parameters of the Westmarch region and still maintain some air of originality? I argue that a class akin to that of the gypsy (think Gheed) would be a welcome addition to the cast of characters. If my lore serves me correctly, this figure wouldn't have to be an overpowering, influential humanoid such as the paladin was or a potential inquisitor.

It could very well represent the average human who, based on the lore, has recognized his true powers which rival those of the demons and angels. I realize an "average joe" class wouldn't create much buzz. I think that if the character had a great backstory; one that provides an artisan's mastery of a certain craft, in this case looting, pickpocketing, subversive behavior and a unique ability to manipulate their environment, that we'd have a rather interesting class that's still quite rooted in the Westmarch region.

All that said, I do really like the idea of an inquisitor. That's a really excellent idea as well.
    Quote from "TheOctagon" »
    [...]

It could very well represent the average human who, based on the lore, has recognized his true powers which rival those of the demons and angels. I realize an "average joe" class wouldn't create much buzz. I think that if the character had a great backstory; one that provides an artisan's mastery of a certain craft, in this case looting, pickpocketing, subversive behavior and a unique ability to manipulate their environment, that we'd have a rather interesting class that's still quite rooted in the Westmarch region.

[...]
    I call a "Butcher" or "Rat Catcher" class! :P
    "Born of peasant stock, living a peasant's life. Realizing his powers from heaven and hell, he now wanders the countryside with his trusty butcher's knife, "Brünhilda", seeking vengeance for his burned village ravaged by demons.
    He is. The Butcher."

Dun, dun, duuuuuuun. :D
    Yes! Rat Catcher! I would also play as Farnham except the screen would constantly be blurry and he would never stumble exactly where I click, always drifting a little to the right... and hiccups...
    I can see it now: Diablo 3 Farnhams revenge. Add broken beer bottles and malotov cocktails as weapons and you could sell this to anyone.

Seriously, I could see something of a less than Holy class coming from Westmarch. That's why I think it's a hunter like Franklin Burroghs.
    well your theory is not dumb though i don't think that's what blizzard reasonates when they makes the classes

just my thoughts
    When will we learn ??

PLAYING Europe Non-Ladder

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " A Swedish tiger"
    i am totes in for the middle-eastern style rogue it sounds fun and would be great to play, i think it would cover the traps/range aspect very well but thats my opinion. also i could see some sought of human/angelic being it would be fun and you could in essence make him the paladin but with wings and more potent powers. Thats my idea.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes