Diablo3 Effective Health Pool Calculator

Update 14 [2012/06/01 09:26]
    I redid all the code responsible for the UI, this will allow me more flexibility and I'll be able to make it easier for users to input their characters stats (when I make the above button work properly!).
    There is a chance I might have broken something in the display logic though, however the calculations should be fine.

Should you find any problems please let me know!
    There's an experimental new version on different URL: http://d3ehp.rubensayshi.com/
    - New UI (fluid, so it should behave nicely on mobile too)
    - More explicit and better saving of characters
    - Better / easier way to add a new character (you can tick which buffs are on when you copy the stats, it will recalculate the base stats)
    - Code is now in a way that should easily allow me to add item compare (2morrow!)

I need to test it a bit more 2night or 2morrow, but then I'll push it to the main URL too, if you find bugs (in either experimental or normal version) please let me know, I'll fix them asap!
    And ofcourse I'm very much interested in weither or not you find the new UI a bit more apealing and easier to use :-)
    Just a small detail that may be useful. Instead of saying "Insert your most common resistance", you should try to say "Insert your lowest resistance". Since there's no negative stats on gear, inserting your lowest resistance is sure to insert the resist with the least special resistance.
    My lowest resist is 178, and my most "common" resist turns out to be 211.

...On the other hand, new website is broken, which is expected, here's a screenshot of both websites:

Normal Version: http://dl.dropbox.co...3728/OldEHP.jpg
    Experimental version, stat input with all buffs on: http://dl.dropbox.co...3728/NewEHP.jpg

I wished it worked like the experimental version, i would get rid of one of my +60 all resist and suddenly gain 2.79 million EHP!

Edit: Just thought about it, you may want to add Enchantress' 15% Armor Buff.
    Not sure if any other follower has a buff that affects EH...
    I suggest you treat it as a class option, just add it for all classes. That is until you have a more refined system going on.
    Quote from chaoslux

Just a small detail that may be useful. Instead of saying "Insert your most common resistance", you should try to say "Insert your lowest resistance". Since there's no negative stats on gear, inserting your lowest resistance is sure to insert the resist with the least special resistance.
    My lowest resist is 178, and my most "common" resist turns out to be 211.

...On the other hand, new website is broken, which is expected, here's a screenshot of both websites:

Normal Version: http://dl.dropbox.co...3728/OldEHP.jpg
    Experimental version, stat input with all buffs on: http://dl.dropbox.co...3728/NewEHP.jpg

I wished it worked like the experimental version, i would get rid of one of my +60 all resist and suddenly gain 2.79 million EHP!

Edit: Just thought about it, you may want to add Enchantress' 15% Armor Buff.
    Not sure if any other follower has a buff that affects EH...
    I suggest you treat it as a class option, just add it for all classes. That is until you have a more refined system going on.

I'll dig into the difference in EHP, enchantress is on the todo list, want to get the UI fixed first
    Quote from SaikoDrakie

Quote from chaoslux

I'll dig into the difference in EHP, enchantress is on the todo list, want to get the UI fixed first

the difference in the new version was because it hadn't properly started calculating, if you changed 1 thing then it was fine again, deployed a new new version to the same URL, I don't have any problems with it anymore now!
    I deployed the experimental version as a stable version!
    Please let me know asap if you find anything, I'll be tailing this topic all night should anything pop up!

Update 15 [2012/06/02 20:00]
    !!MAJOR UPDATE!!
    - New UI (fluid, so it should behave nicely on mobile too)
    - More explicit and better saving of characters
    - Better / easier way to add a new character (you can tick which buffs are on when you copy the stats, it will recalculate the base stats)
    - Code is now in a way that should easily allow me to add item compare (soon!)
    What formula are using you using to calculate the mitigation and effective health values? I made a sheet and my EHP is consistently about 10% higher than the values from yours.

thanks!
    Quote from DarkPhenomenon

What formula are using you using to calculate the mitigation and effective health values? I made a sheet and my EHP is consistently about 10% higher than the values from yours.

thanks!

EHP: = Life / ((1 - DR from Armor) × (1 - DR from Resistance) × (1 - 0.30 if monk or barbarian) × (1 - DR from other source))

EHP: = Life × ((1 + Armor / (50 × Monster Level)) × (1 + Resistance / (5 × Monster Level)))
    Nothing happens when I press the "add new character" button, and since I havn't used the interface before, then I don't have an old one I can use. Tried in both IE 9 64 and 32 bit on windows 7.
    Quote from Effu

Nothing happens when I press the "add new character" button, and since I havn't used the interface before, then I don't have an old one I can use. Tried in both IE 9 64 and 32 bit on windows 7.

Hey mate,

I have to admit I haven't tested in IE9 before (and I don't care about IE8 or older since it's just to much work to fix everything in those oldies).
    But testing it myself in IE9 seems to work fine, though I suspect what might be wrong and deployed a new version with hopefully a tiny fix for you!
    If it still doesn't work, could you hit F12 after opening the page, at the bottom of the page open the 'console' tab and then try clicking the button and gimme any posible output in the console tab :D ?

This tool is really neat. I see its on the todo list, but some good way of checking out stat changes from a new item would be great. Even without a real item compare, it would be useful to be able to just tell it to remember your EHP values, then change the stats to correspond to your new stats, and easily be able to compare the new EHP values to the old.
    I'm planning to add item compare this week (thursday/friday) and look into some time to live (and block) posibilities!
    I was playing around with a bit last night, and noticed a couple things that were strange or confusing. I was making a new Barb, I put in my armor and resist values (unbuffed), then selected my buffs (Warcry/Impunity). Then saved my character. When I opened it back up, the armor and resist values I typed in had been reduced. It seemed like it took my 600 resist all that I entered (unbuffed) and then assumed it was a buffed value, because it was down to 400.

A similar question is how you are supposed to enter armor values as a Barb. I use the Vit=Armor passive, so my armor in the character screen always shows the modified value. Am I supposed to change my passive to something else in-game before recording the Armor value? I guess some better tooltips in this regard would be helpful. I couldn't quite figure out what the program was expecting me to do with regard to stats that are modified by other stats.
    Your tool kicks ass! :)

I was also confused at first because I was entering stats that were already increased by passives or buffs, and then again improved by selecting the passives or buffs in the tool, applying the benefit twice... If that would be clearer, most of my confusion of using this for the first time would be gone.

That being said, I think I found a bug. When you create a new character, enter your correct stats, and select the passives/buffs, then create the character, the stats you end up with are reduced. If you do not select and passives/buffs and then create it, the stats will be fine, and if you then select the passives/buffs in the 'normal' screen (after the creation screen), none of that stat reducing happens.

Another addition I would love is being able to compare stats of different setups side by side. I already love that I can make different characters (I made the same monk 5 times, comparing 5 different weapon setups). A 1080p screen resolution is wide enough to fit everything 2 or 3 times side by side. Plenty of space to also show -x% and +x% difference between the characters you are comparing.

Keep up the awesome work! This was the first EHP calculator that I found that did not take hours to calculate stuff myself, was too confusing, or simply seemed incorrect.
    Quote from SaikoDrakie

Quote from DarkPhenomenon

thanks!

EHP: = Life / ((1 - DR from Armor) × (1 - DR from Resistance) × (1 - 0.30 if monk or barbarian) × (1 - DR from other source))

EHP: = Life × ((1 + Armor / (50 × Monster Level)) × (1 + Resistance / (5 × Monster Level)))

Yea I'm basically using the same formula (just in a different format, I confirmed using your exact same formula and it's coming out to the same) but it's still off. I wasn't calculating the 30% reduction for a barb or monk but it's still off. Your sheet is coming up with the correct HP pool and DR %'s, but the EHP numbers are still coming out differently. Yours were about 10% higher than mine before, sorry, now when I add in the 30% DR mine are about 10% higher than yours, that's with and without the dodge added.
    Quote from jjwa

I was also confused at first because I was entering stats that were already increased by passives or buffs, and then again improved by selecting the passives or buffs in the tool, applying the benefit twice... If that would be clearer, most of my confusion of using this for the first time would be gone.
    That being said, I think I found a bug. When you create a new character, enter your correct stats, and select the passives/buffs, then create the character, the stats you end up with are reduced. If you do not select and passives/buffs and then create it, the stats will be fine, and if you then select the passives/buffs in the 'normal' screen (after the creation screen), none of that stat reducing happens.

Another addition I would love is being able to compare stats of different setups side by side. I already love that I can make different characters (I made the same monk 5 times, comparing 5 different weapon setups). A 1080p screen resolution is wide enough to fit everything 2 or 3 times side by side. Plenty of space to also show -x% and +x% difference between the characters you are comparing.

Keep up the awesome work! This was the first EHP calculator that I found that did not take hours to calculate stuff myself, was too confusing, or simply seemed incorrect.

on mobile so gonna be short for now.
    When you create you put in the stats you see on charscreen and select what stuff you have on at that moment.
    Whe you save i then reduce your stats for the buffs and passives you had on, so that we get your base stats.
    That way you can also try how it would be with or without the buffs and passives
    I am pretty sure that the Monk isn't getting the passive 30% dmg reduction like the barbarian is.

If you start a class base, where it gives them 1000 all states, 200 all resist, 4000 armor, the WD/Wiz/Monk have 147 effective heallth (no dodge) and the barb has 211k with the same stats. I can only imagine that this is the barb getting the 30% and the Monk is supposed to get it too, but doesnt appear to be.

Obviously if this is true pretty significant issue for the Monk, just a heads up!

Thanks, great calculator, been using it a lot.
    Quote from Draskus

I am pretty sure that the Monk isn't getting the passive 30% dmg reduction like the barbarian is.

If you start a class base, where it gives them 1000 all states, 200 all resist, 4000 armor, the WD/Wiz/Monk have 147 effective heallth (no dodge) and the barb has 211k with the same stats. I can only imagine that this is the barb getting the 30% and the Monk is supposed to get it too, but doesnt appear to be.

Obviously if this is true pretty significant issue for the Monk, just a heads up!

Thanks, great calculator, been using it a lot.

WTF!? You were right, though I'm absolutely sure that the Monk had it at some point!
    It's getting it now in new version, sorry!
    Quote from SaikoDrakie

Quote from jjwa

on mobile so gonna be short for now.
    When you create you put in the stats you see on charscreen and select what stuff you have on at that moment.
    Whe you save i then reduce your stats for the buffs and passives you had on, so that we get your base stats.
    That way you can also try how it would be with or without the buffs and passives

But is this not completely the other way around in the normal character screen (after creation)? Aka having to enter your stats without buffs. I think doing it the way you have it now is good, it's just confusing, so making it clear on-screen what values (with or without buffs/passives) you have to enter would really help new users :).

Request:
    add the Mystic Ally - Earth Ally rune bonus to the list of selectable buffs.
    " Maximum Life for you and the ally is increased by 10%."
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/class/monk/active/mystic-ally
    Looks great! Thanks for this. Saves me for figuring out what errors I'm making in my excel sheet...

I still don't fully understand how passives interact with the numbers. Should I always type in the "buffed" stats? Or should I type in the stats I have when using the skills which boxes I've "checked"?

Could you please also add an option to "normalize" the stats? So we can show the value of every stat in terms of vitality, for example. Quicker to calculate when you're looking at something at the AH rather than multiplying by decimals. When showing small percentages, though, it would be nice if more digits were shown, so there is a difference between 0.082% and 0.087%. 2 significant digits will probably be enough, but 1 is too little (so numbers like 1.1%, 0.0043%, 21% would be shown, rather than 1.10%, 0.00% and 21.00%).

Damage reduction stats stack multiplicatively, so it would be nice to show the EHP benefit of 3%, 4%, 5%, 6% and 7% damage reduction that would have been on an item. When comparing items we really don't (or shouldn't) care about character screen stat difference, as that would be much more difficult to calculate than just looking at the number on the item. For "normal" (additive) stats current system works fine (though normalizing and showing 2 significant digits would help), but for multiplicative stats such as damage reduction from ranged/melee/elites it's not too helpful. Sure, 7% on an item is really only ~7.5% increased EHP, so almost 7%, but it'd still be nice to have that extra accuracy when comparing items.

EDIT: Also something doesn't really make sense to me. Without impunity I get resistances worth 0.14%, while with impunity they're worth 0.16%. Shouldn't a 50% boost make them worth 0.21% (1.5 times original value)?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes