Black Weapon (+MinMaxDmg) nerf inc? Ask the Blues!

There's a speculation currently that the bugfix intended for the MinMaxDmg affix would nerf black weapons (ie. weapons with physical dmg bonus).

It would be nice if we could get a response from the blues, support this thread:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593743038

Read more about the speculation at: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=394340
    I think they should buff other weapon types rather than nerfing the most used weapons in game (Skorn and EF).
    I don't quite understand.

By "damage being wrongly calculated" they mean that damage done is wrongly calculated, or that the damage shown (paper dps) is wrongly calculated?
    Quote from Pietrov

I don't quite understand.

By "damage being wrongly calculated" they mean that damage done is wrongly calculated, or that the damage shown (paper dps) is wrongly calculated?

The bonus physical dmg on weapons is calculated wrong since ever. Specifically the max dmg part. Atm +min dmg is included in max dmg so it's higher than it should be and speculation is that it will be calculated like it should be, nerfing the final max dmg of weapons, therfor nerfing the DPS.
    I really hope that they don't pull this off, or the nerf will be equivalent to AS nerf back in 1.03. I realize they need to fix it because of jewelry minmaxdmg affixes and the new red gems (which would be OP without the fix), but they should fix the gems and jewelry without breaking minmaxdmg on weapons.

If the folks over teamliquid are right about the problem, that means Blizzard needs to make duplicate/special code for weapons. And Blizzard must decide about future black weapon drops (potentially making future legendary drops worth much less than current if they decide to fix future drops only).

Quote from m4st0d0n

I really hope that they don't pull this off, or the nerf will be equivalent to AS nerf back in 1.03.

And what was wrong with AS 'nerf'? I think it was handled OK - it was general and retroactive.

If there is a bug in the damage calculations, they should fix it - even at the cost of some people raging about it.
    -Ash
    Quote from Ashes

And what was wrong with AS 'nerf'? I think it was handled OK - it was general and retroactive.

Apart from the fact that characters lost up to 2/3s of their power, depending on build and gear? Nothing, really. People who bought gear on RMAH annulled their credit card charges (at least who could), labeling Blizzard as fraudster in the process. Life went on...

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it was anything, but well handled. 1.03 was a disaster, patch previews were driving attention away from the important details, trying to sell it as a huge buff to the game, but in reality, it was an overall game-balancing patch. The thing that should not happen to a live game with real-money involved. Anyways, I prefer honest talk over PR bullshit, and 1.03 was full of it.
    Quote from m4st0d0n

Quote from Ashes

Apart from the fact that characters lost up to 2/3s of their power, depending on build and gear? Nothing, really. People who bought gear on RMAH annulled their credit card charges (at least who could), labeling Blizzard as fraudster in the process. Life went on...

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it was anything, but well handled. 1.03 was a disaster, patch previews were driving attention away from the important details, trying to sell it as a huge buff to the game, but in reality, it was an overall game-balancing patch. The thing that should not happen to a live game with real-money involved. Anyways, I prefer honest talk over PR bullshit, and 1.03 was full of it.
    This. Really nasty what happened back in 1.0.3. Most of my co-workers and friends quit d3 after the patch. I don't think that nerfing the min/max dmg on black weapons will have such an impact on players, but yeah ~ blizz should really catch these things before any release to the live servers on things that matter this much.
    I didn't have a very powerful character back then... esp. with inferno 1-2 shotting me on every mob. Yet I remember my DPS fell dramatically, to the point where I had to totally re-equip myself to even doing the one thing I COULD do: Nuke. Before where I would hunt with my barb friend and he would take the hits, now I was useless. 1.03 really messed me up.
    Quote from VasileCelMare

Quote from m4st0d0n

Quote from Ashes

This. Really nasty what happened back in 1.0.3. Most of my co-workers and friends quit d3 after the patch. I don't think that nerfing the min/max dmg on black weapons will have such an impact on players, but yeah ~ blizz should really catch these things before any release to the live servers on things that matter this much.

So, just because real money is now involved, they should refrain from fixing the game in ways that they deem necessary?
    And you wonder why some people dislike the RMAH...
    if they nerf our DPS they can say RIP to the game.

Need a blue post to reassure us :)
    Sure, the game may die. Again ;)

Bug fixes are things that should always be done. Though it would be nice to know about them in time, so we can plan accordingly. Huge difference, if they apply a fix retroactively or only for future drops or not at all..
    Please remove the orange color from my user name!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sol77-2972/hero/1407288
    They should remeber about players on RMAH

For sure if they nerf my archon wizz it helps me quit game since im wonderin for long time to leave this shit.
    I can suerly say that it is my first game im regret to sacrifice so much time. Propably beacuse that were hopes about this game heh w/e we will see.
    Blue Post:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593743038?page=15#294

tl;dr:
    Existing weapons won't be touched. New drops might, when they decide to fix this bug (not in 1.07).

Cheers. I hoped Blizzard is reasonable on this matter.
    Quote from Solmyr77

Blue Post:

http://us.battle.net...038?page=15#294

tl;dr:
    Existing weapons won't be touched. New drops might, when they decide to fix this bug (not in 1.07).

How can existing weapons NOT be affeted? That would be retarded, the most powerful weapons would be unobtainable for the majority and the select few would get a bigger advantage.
    Quote from Baracuda

How can existing weapons NOT be affeted? That would be retarded, the most powerful weapons would be unobtainable for the majority and the select few would get a bigger advantage.

Bcuz some people payed a shitload of rl money and will quit for sure. Changing existing weapons and D3 would be dead. And there are so many black weapons on the market. Its not like they are unreachable for people even on low/mid budgets.
    Quote from Shinna1989
    Bcuz some people payed a shitload of rl money and will quit for sure. Changing existing weapons and D3 would be dead. And there are so many black weapons on the market. Its not like they are unreachable for people even on low/mid budgets.

I agree with the first point, although that's what the "all items are subject to changes" note they added to the AH inzerface is for.
    However, I disagree with the second point. They have to either nerf/fix both existing and new weapons or leave both alone. The "good" weapons, i.e. those with impossible dps after such a fix would definitely skyrocket and even those that are mediocre now would be very good ones then.
    Don't think it would be such a dramatic issue due to the sheer amount of such weapons already in existence.

The same thing already happened with the Natalya Set, of which only the classic parts provide the overpowered 4pc bonus. There are plenty of mediocre pieces of that set on the AH that are basically free of charge. Only the real good ones get more expensive.

Though in theory I might have agreed.

If they nerf my EF, it will be even easier to switch to PoE.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes