WW & Sprint RLTW tick frequency mechanics

Added Twister´s aps breakpoints calculator to the first post (thanks man)

https://docs.google....Y1Q0pWR2c#gid=0

Have fun.
    5. I found out that the game usually runs at 60 fps

Is this affected by the max foreground fps and / or vsync setting / if someone plays at 100fps he has other breakpoints and ticks per second numbers ?
    Quote from sssdrawr

5. I found out that the game usually runs at 60 fps

Is this affected by the max foreground fps and / or vsync setting / if someone plays at 100fps he has other breakpoints and ticks per second numbers ?

Yes and no.
    You are talking about display FPS now. Which is not necessarily the rate at which stuff is actually happening. I'm really struggeling to explain this properly, but I'll try:
    By disabling vsync and disabling max foreground FPS, I can easily reach 200+ FPS. But that doesn't mean the game or my attack animations run any faster. It just means that one frame is shown not only once, but potentially duplicated.

If your PC is old and weak, so it can display only 30 FPS, this doesn't affect tick rates/breakpoints either. The attack animations won't run slower, but every other frame will be silently dropped - which we perceive as stuttering. It doesn't mean the frames aren't there, it just means they can't be displayed.

Besides that, I think it's safe to assume that damage calculations run server side. So whatever the client does is not particularly relevant anyways.
    I can see your point, sssdrawr. I had the same question comming to my mind when Nubtro came up with the by frame scaling. The major question is: If i would do the research at a higher fps, would i be able to find breakpoints inbetween the posted ones?
    And while Apo86 posted the correct answer allready, just let me further prove his claimings...

Let's take the posted formula and apply it to wizzards "energy twister - wicked wind":
    frames_per_attack = floor((60/speed_coef) / attacks_per_second)
    tick_rate = ceil((60*duration) / frames_per_attack)

duration of wicked wind is 6 seconds, and it's speed_coeff is 2 (because it hits twice a second at 1.0aps).
    Using the formulas, we get these breakpoints:
    2.50001aps to 2.72727aps = 33 ticks
    2.72728aps to 3.00000aps = 36 ticks

If we assume now, that at a higher fps we could find more breakpoints inbetween the researched ones, lets modify our formula to simulate the game calculating at 120frames per second. The formulas would look like these:
    frames_per_attack = floor((120/speed_coef) / attacks_per_second)
    tick_rate = ceil((120*duration) / frames_per_attack)

duration of wicked wind is 6 seconds, and it's speed_coeff is 2.
    Using the formulas, we get these breakpoints:
    2.50001aps to 2.60869aps = 32 ticks
    2.60870aps to 2.72727aps = 33 ticks
    2.72728aps to 2.85714aps = 35 ticks
    2.85715aps to 3.00000aps = 36 ticks

However, we had the number of ticks at certain APS levels long before we had a forumula to describe these. So from the research we know that there is no situation ingame at which you'll get a 32 or 35 ticks wicked wind.
    We know that forsure because dmg-numbers are shown for many frames once they appeared. This makes it impossible to miss them due to a lower displayed fps while counting the number of ticks.

TL;DR: Displayed fps won't affect APS breakpoints at any given time.

And for all the other readers: The spreadsheet Nubtro linked above (https://docs.google....Y1Q0pWR2c#gid=0) is a new and more simplified one. As this is also posted on the public battle.net forums there is alot more traffic to it, and spreadsheets are not made for multi-users editing the same cells at the same time. If you have troube using it due to other ppl changing the values, you should either download it (--> file menu) or make a private copy to your google drive account.
    Hi.
    I have noticed that if you have 2 different weapons equipped for example axe and dagger then every time you swing each weapon you can see a difference in Atack Speed in the character sheet.
    But when you wear two weapons of the same type for example 2 x mace the Atack Speed in character sheet doesn't change even if the AS on both weapon is different.
    At the moment I've got Echoing Fury with 1.45 AS and normal mace with 1.30 AS but when I swing with both of them the AS doesn't change in Character Sheet does it mean my tornadoes will tick with that 1.93 AS of mine ?

Is it a bug or it is intended to be like that ?

I'd like to know because I think it is much easier to get decent DPS mace or axe for offhand than let say dagger because daggers are really popular right now and really exppensive if you looking for one with nice dps on it.

Could someone clarify this please ?
    Just a short reply: the +APS from Echoing Fury is applied to both Weapons, thats why you don't notice a change in Character Sheet AS when using an 1.2APS Offhand.
    I see thanks for clearing that !
    With the changes to fury regen from WW and Sprint we have to spam Sprint in order to keep WotB up.
    During that time you can't really know if the tornadoes are doing main hand or off hand tick damage.
    So my question is, will a heavy hitting mace (1100+ dps) in OH do more damage overall than a sword/dagger (850-1000 dps), during long WotB fights?

Also,
    Quote from Nubtro

4. When dual-wielding, tornado tick frequency depends on the attacks per second (aps) of the last weapon swung before using Sprint.

Can you please recheck this?
    I can swear that the tick frequency of active tornadoes changes when I swing my weapons.
    For example I run into a group of mobs with Sprint active and tornadoes spawn with MH mace tick frequency.
    I can see and hear the damage and it's ticking slowly but once I Bash something once I can see (and hear) them ticking faster and mobs dieing faster.
    Or is it just my mind playing tricks?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes