Critical damage behavior

Hi

I wonder why with certain weapons are producing lower crits. I have two similar weapons (both don't have elemental damage) and one of them is Sever, (gives me 20k less dps on the charsheet) it's producing higher crits (up to a million or so) while the other are just giving about a maximum of 200k crits. My wiz has about 124k dps without any buffs. Is it all due to 17% extra dmg against demons? I think it's unlikely that it would give up to 700k additional crits than the other one. (the difference in their top end damage is 100).

Even my WD with last breath with only ~30k dps total can produce 1 million crits (usually 500k range). It's so strange, anyone know why?

And no, I'm not reading wrong when a crit happen on my screen.

When I get home I can post some screenshots.
    It´s a Sever. As far as I know the killing blow on a monster with a Sever does increased damage. I currently can´t find the exact multiplier so I´ll have to test it myself.

I´ll update this post with the multiplier. Also the damage versus demons bonus applies to every hit no matter what weapon you swing. It´s an overall gear bonus just like damage vs elites, critical hit damage etc.

...OK I´guess I used the wrong weapon to test the affix, boneshatter has a very low damage range so it should always give me just 2 damage values, I´ll test that.

Damn can´t figure out the mechanics, if anyone could help me a bit.

Boneshatter
    min = 1558.94211 (min weapon damage times strength bonus times instigation bonus)
    max = 1629.13311 (max weapon damage times strength bonus times instigation bonus)

ingame damage
    49830 = *30.59-31.97
    50151 = *30.78-32.17
    51273 = *31.48-32.89

Seems like a 31.5 multiplier which would mean 1 + (crit damage+30/100).

75519 =
    75916 =

Seems like the 75k damage is normal damage x 1.5 so this is the critical "critical" damage.

Now +100% cd
    ingame damage
    67671 = *41.54-43.41
    132857 = doubled

this is what I don´t get. Suddenly at +100% crit damage the affix modifier turns into 42-43. So it´s probably not 1 + (crit damage+30/100) but rather (1+crit damage/100) * affix multiplier.

In case 1 the affix multiplier would be 20.99-21.31 and in case 2 it would be 20.77-21.71, which could work...

Note that the above two tests were made with a
    25-29 damage bone shatter
    +1-3 fire damage
    +11% damage
    2027 strength
    bash instigation (165% damage)
    +19 min damage ring

Maybe the "pieces" modifier is applied before the game adds +min/max damage from gear because the affix works for the weapon itself only and not for both weapons. I´m thinking it works this way because I got different results when I used more +min damage jewelry.

I need to recalc the results with this in mind.
    Sever has an affix: Slain enemies rest in pieces. That's where the high crits come from. Those high crits will always come at the last hit slaying the monster. Try it out on a big boss. You won't see any of those high crits there, besides the last hit.
    Ah I see, and Last Breath also had that affix. Yeah you are right, I didnt see those high crits on boss / champ packs until they were low enough to die.

I also had 100% extra critdmg on the one that had lower crits as well so that's why I wondered in the first place :p
    it definitely scales with crit damage, look at these two tests

24.42-25.53 physical +1-3 fire weapon
    1227 strength

test 1: base +50% crit damage
    min "affix" ingame damage = 11161
    max "affix" ingame damage = 12237
    didn´t include affix crit damage (as i said the number is always yellow but there´s two different values, a normal yellow finishing blow and a critical yellow finishing blow)

test 2: base +100% crit damage (changed one passive to ruthless)
    min "affix" ingame damage = 14919
    max "affix" ingame damage = 16059

The difference is exactly 33% (+100%/+50% or 2/1.5) the only thing I don´t get is the affix multiplier value :/

EDIT: wow it also scales with strength (primary stat)

1227 str +50% cd
    min = 11161
    max = 12237
    pieces = *13.06-13.37

1585 strength +50% cd
    min = 18341
    max = 19504
    pieces = *16.38-17.22

same CD, different strength, different affix modifier... and it´s (1 + primary stat/100), I´ll have to check all my results if it fits...

Conclusion: Slain enemies rest in pieces is a damage modifier that scales with both primary stat and critical hit damage. The modifier is ((1+ primary/100) * (1+ critical hit damage/100)). Note that this applies to a normal finishing blow, which is always "yellow". When you critically hit on the finishing blow, you also get the usual critical damage bonus on top of it.

EDIT 2: Yep all the tests I´ve made fit :)
    So when exactly does Sever's "rest in pieces" thing crit? Is it at a fixed percentage of HP left, or an absolute value? Does it deal huge "over DPS", i.e., the mob has 100k left and Sever crits for 2m, or does it somewhat scale?
    Quote from Bagstone

So when exactly does Sever's "rest in pieces" thing crit? Is it at a fixed percentage of HP left, or an absolute value? Does it deal huge "over DPS", i.e., the mob has 100k left and Sever crits for 2m, or does it somewhat scale?

Once the game determines that the hit you are about to do is enough to kill the mob, like you said the mob has 100k left and you are about to hit for 150k, the game will convert the 150k hit into that overkill damage.

The purpose of this proc, since it's not mentioned here, is so that shaman mobs can not resurrect fallen enemies.
    The reason why people use it though is that this critical damage works with life steal.
    That 1+ million damage hit will heal you for alot, as long as you have life steal gear on you.

Quote from Nubtro

Conclusion: Slain enemies rest in pieces is a damage modifier that scales with both primary stat and critical hit damage.

I have been using a sever since 1.0.4 hit and I have to agree. It scales with both.
    It used to crit for 15 million max with 2200 str and 360% CHD but now with 2750 str and 615% CHD it crits up to 45 million.
    Quote from Andead

The reason why people use it though is that this critical damage works with life steal.
    That 1+ million damage hit will heal you for alot, as long as you have life steal gear on you.

That is... disappointing, I have to say. Sounds like a LaK proc (though a big one, bigger than the usual LaK values on weapons). It may be nice for people who are interested in big numbers, but at least for me that means I won't touch it - thanks Andead for the info. And thanks Nubto for spending an afternoon to figure out the details ;-)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes