The stunning cost of a lvl 14 gem !!!

Hey guys !

I spend some time looking the diablo III game guide leaked photos and I have made some calculations.

Let's imagine you've dropped the 729 lvl 8 gems needed to craft a lvl 14 gem. (3x3x3x3x3x3)
    Based on the data of the guide the total cost to craft this gem will be:

14 500 000 gold and 1 550 tomes of secrets (or close) and 729 lvl8 gems dropped

I do not believe it can be exact.

Especially when crafting a legendary cost less than 200k, 40 yellow essences and 10 or so orange ones (these last items could be hard to find)

What do you think of that ?
    DAMN, i Really hope this is some sort of mistake from Blizzards side, making gems worth more than the item u put it in is kinda dumb, but perhaps Blizzard want em to be the major goldsink after we have lvled our artisans to max to avoid inflation and stuff like that.
    Would be more reasonable to make it so lvl 10 gems drop that lowers it from 729 till 81 which is better, but still a damn lot of gems.
    Quote from ishtar

I think that's odd math. Say you have 729 Flawless Square gems. You will have to perform:

729 / 3 = 243 conversions to Perfect Square
    243 / 3 = 81 conversions to Radiant Square
    81 / 3 = 27 conversions to Star
    27 / 3 = 9 conversions to Flawless Star
    9 / 3 = 3 conversions to Perfect Start
    3 / 3 = 1 conversion to Radiant Star

243 + 81 + 27 + 9 + 3 + 1 = 364 conversions. By your math each conversion would cost almost 40k gold. The wiki (not sure how current it is, none of the recent recaps have #s) has it @ 50g for approximately 18k gold + other mats.
    Did some calculating with http://www.diablo3professions.com/jeweler-artisan-overview/diablo-3-jeweler-cost-to-combine-gems/ as source, here is my result:

729 gems, 243 conversions of 9.000g (2.187.000) 1ToS (729)
    243 gems, 81 conversions of 11.000g (891.000) 2ToS (162)
    81 gems, 27 conversions of 13.000g (351.000) 3ToS (81)
    27 gems, 9 conversions of 15.500g (139.500) 4ToS (36)
    9 gems, 3 conversions of 18.000g (54.000) 6ToS (18)
    3 gems, 1 conversion of 21.000g (21.000) 10ToS (10)
    Total , 729 level 8 gems, 364 conversions, 3.543.500 gold, 1036 ToS
    I personnaly used the data in Diablo 3 brady guide.
    Even 3milion sounds enormous
    Quote from Xeus

Quote from ishtar

I think that's odd math. Say you have 729 Flawless Square gems. You will have to perform:

729 / 3 = 243 conversions to Perfect Square
    243 / 3 = 81 conversions to Radiant Square
    81 / 3 = 27 conversions to Star
    27 / 3 = 9 conversions to Flawless Star
    9 / 3 = 3 conversions to Perfect Start
    3 / 3 = 1 conversion to Radiant Star

243 + 81 + 27 + 9 + 3 + 1 = 364 conversions. By your math each conversion would cost almost 40k gold. The wiki (not sure how current it is, none of the recent recaps have #s) has it @ 50g for approximately 18k gold + other mats.

For example the guide says 400k from 13 to 14, 200k from 12 to 13 and 100k fromb11 to 12.
    Well, the good thing is you will be able to socket and remove your gems so you wont have to wait to make that radiant one to socket it, you will have all your item sockets full all the time, slowly upgrading the socketed gems 1 by 1 over time until you eventually reach the best ones possible
    The numbers are big, yeah, but nothing the community can't handle. I can imagine these being rare, but not THAT rare. Who knows though...
    The difference between these and legendary items are these are variable, they can be placed in anything short of rings and amulets (Am I forgetting something?). Therefore they probably should be worth a lot more than most items.
    Quote from ishtar

Especially when crafting a legendary cost less than 200k, 40 yellow essences and 10 or so orange ones (these last items could be hard to find)

Don't trip over the numbers. The auction house has a threshold of 100 billion, I think.

Even on the beta, "top quality beta items" were selling for 200k or more.

When it comes to the legendary crafting, consider how we will come by those orange essences, not to mention the possibility of working so hard to craft a legendary item only to get complete junk.

Just for the sake of comparison, while in beta I decided to try and make a decent 2h sword for my barb. I had to craft three full inventory rows before I got a decent weapon with 19.2 dps and life steal.

If you have to craft three whole inventory rows of legendaries just to try and get a decent one, the cost you listed increases many times over.
    Another difference between a gem and an item is that when you get a level 14 gem it will always be top tier, therefore it will likely be much harder to aquire then items. You will probably have to play alot longer to aquire an item that is not upgradable then getting a level 14 gem.
    Quote from Holjas

Another difference between a gem and an item is that when you get a level 14 gem it will always be top tier, therefore it will likely be much harder to aquire then items. You will probably have to play alot longer to aquire an item that is not upgradable then getting a level 14 gem.

Not to mention they don't get destroyed. So even if you pay a bunch for them, you will always have them unless you sell them.
    Quote from Azidonis

Quote from Holjas

Not to mention they don't get destroyed. So even if you pay a bunch for them, you will always have them unless you sell them.

Unless you play hardcore... those poor souls.
    Whilst it seems like a lot, is anyone really sure of how much money characters will be making once 60 and farming high end? In the end it's just a gold sink put in place to control the economy.
    Bashiok answered my question :-)

Preparing myself to farm gold
    I don't mind the level of required investment. Gems aren't forcibly taken out of the economy in the game, and even if you ditch the item it's in, you can get your gem back out.
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    Quote from Frolk

DAMN, i Really hope this is some sort of mistake from Blizzards side, making gems worth more than the item u put it in is kinda dumb, but perhaps Blizzard want em to be the major goldsink after we have lvled our artisans to max to avoid inflation and stuff like that.
    Would be more reasonable to make it so lvl 10 gems drop that lowers it from 729 till 81 which is better, but still a damn lot of gems.

The cost of creating an item, in this case the craftable one, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the worth of the item that spawns from the crafting process. Tons of utterly useless items will be crafted, but some will be unbelievably good, almost perfect. The difference in price for the good and the useless will be more than 10 000x. It's not hard to believe that the gems fall somewhere between.

Crafting will be profitable in the big picture if, when tallying the thousands of items created, expected (= in this case average) value of the creations is more than cost of materials (+ AH fees). Even if this wouldn't be the case people will still craft, since "it's what the game is about lol"
    Quote from Ferret

I don't mind the level of required investment. Gems aren't forcibly taken out of the economy in the game, and even if you ditch the item it's in, you can get your gem back out.

This. The only way gems disappear are if you vendor them or leave them on the ground. If you can make ONE Radiant Star Topaz for your helm, you don't need another one for the entire rest of your time playing the game. Bonus points if you take the effort to take it out and keep it with your current "main."
    Considering how long and hard the farming is going to be for this, the gold cost is almost negligible. Just getting that many gems and (groan) ToS is going to keep you occupied WAY longer than the gold sink, unless you're raiding the AH for gems. More than a thousand apiece means that even the most dedicated player is going to take a couple of months to generate even one of these beauties. Which to make first, though?

... what is scaring me is that, in about a year or so, anyone with one of these who is looking to start a new character is going to be actively hunting for socketed gear above ANYTHING else, especially helmets. The useless crap of today is going to be the expensive AH-topping drops of tomorrow
    Quote from PsyBomb

Considering how long and hard the farming is going to be for this, the gold cost is almost negligible. Just getting that many gems and (groan) ToS is going to keep you occupied WAY longer than the gold sink, unless you're raiding the AH for gems. More than a thousand apiece means that even the most dedicated player is going to take a couple of months to generate even one of these beauties. Which to make first, though?

... what is scaring me is that, in about a year or so, anyone with one of these who is looking to start a new character is going to be actively hunting for socketed gear above ANYTHING else, especially helmets. The useless crap of today is going to be the expensive AH-topping drops of tomorrow

You don't have to farm them; you can just buy the gems and tomes on the Auction House.

Since any gems you *do* find would have sold for the same price you would have bought them for, you effectively "buy" any gems you find yourself, anyway, since there's the opportunity cost of simply selling them instead. Mind you, you do save on the 15% cut by using them yourself instead of selling them so it would be a smidge cheaper to farm them instead of buying them - but you could sell one color of gem to produce the gold required for another, and you'll be needing to make gold somehow anyway since you'll have to pay the crafting fees.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes