[Wizard]Signature-combo /w Prodigy & Arcane Dynamo ... will it blend?

Hello,

this post here is based on a discussion in the Wizards-forum, and since the idea of the whole thing is very theory-loaded I thought it might be nice to move this part over here.
    So, me and Ruppgu found a way to PROBABLY increase the outcome of some of the Wizard's passives with help of two runes for Signature-spells.

Let me explain:
    The theory in this combo is based on the possibility that signature-spells can be split and that the choosen passives can be triggered by this splittet damage.
    So, if we take for granted that the damage of Signature-spells can be splittet by its runes, the following combination would be effective for an amount of mobs

+ Split-rune + +
    • If we combine MagicMissiles with the Split-rune, every time we cast, it we will shoot 3 missiles at once dealing 50% dmg each.
    • Prodigy as passive allows that every time damage is done with a signature spell the player gains 4 ArcanePower(AP).
    • ArcaneDynamo stacks up Flash of Inside (probably by internal chance), which grants a damage bonus when 5 stacks are reached.
    This means - at best best case - every missile we shoot inflicts 3x50% dmg and grants us 12 AP as well as 3 Stacks Flash of Insight

With 3 or more mobs the next combination might be more useful:

+ Chain Lightning + +
    • The combination of Electrocute with ChainLightning allows that Electrocute jumps across up to 6 targets - probably in a row.
    This means that we would benefit from groups of mobs larger than 3, since on a single mob we would
    only hit once, since we don't have a target to jump over:
    Depending on monster-density it might be possible to hit 6 targets (each for 80%) which grants 24 AP and a chance to fully stack up Flash of Insight.

I like the idea of it and it would be very interesting to know if it work out.

Discussion-Questions:
    • Might it work that way?
    • And if, would it be imbalanced or would it balance itself by monster-density and the need to cast other spells (/w cooldowns) as well since the AP-gain would useless otherwise?
    • Would it be such strong that it would make other passives obsolete?
    Hi

I had the same idea a while ago and when I given it some thought I came to the conclusion that it probably won't work like that.
    Comparing the other +15% bonus damage passives with the +75% non signature spell damage that is up all the time, affects every school and no -resistance/armor, would be too strong IMO. Same with Prodigy, restoring 15-20% of your resource pool with one spell with no cd, dosen't sound quite right to me. I think it will work with the numbers in the tooltips, and AoE damge is not going to multiply them.
    Prodigy is obviously per cast.
    Arcane Dynamo has either been changed to per cast basis or it still has an internal cooldown to prevent the charges from building up near instantly.

If it sounds too good to be true, then chances are that it is.
    Logic goes a long way.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Epicurus
    Quote from Antirepublican

Arcane Dynamo has either been changed to per cast basis or it still has an internal cooldown to prevent the charges from building up near instantly.

Logic goes a long way.

You shouldn't say obviously. If the tooltip said "per cast", that would make it obvious. There have been obvious problems with how the tooltips were written and there seems to be little, if any, logic or consistency to it. It's not an option to presume that the passives will work one way or another. They may even work in a more beneficial way now and be tweaked later on to provide more balance. The fact is, you don't know one thing or another to be true. You just have a guiding principle which is "don't count on it" which is fair but it's not fair to try to make some one feel dumb for theorycrafting around it. I thought that was what this section was about...
    Quote from Lumbermouth

Quote from Antirepublican

Logic goes a long way.

You shouldn't say obviously. If the tooltip said "per cast", that would make it obvious. There have been obvious problems with how the tooltips were written and there seems to be little, if any, logic or consistency to it. It's not an option to presume that the passives will work one way or another. They may even work in a more beneficial way now and be tweaked later on to provide more balance. The fact is, you don't know one thing or another to be true. You just have a guiding principle which is "don't count on it" which is fair but it's not fair to try to make some one feel dumb for theorycrafting around it. I thought that was what this section was about...

I am sure blizzard has more important things to do than ensuring the tooltips can't be misinterpreted in the slightest degree. Especially when it will become clear once the game is launched and you conduct one 10 second test.

It obviously works per cast, or its obviously OP.
    Common sense would dictate they wouldn't miss something that simple, thus only leaves one probable choice.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Epicurus
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes