What's the big idea with Jeweler artisan?

Based on Blizzard's Game Guide, the Jeweler does three things:

1. upgrades 3 gems of same grade to next tier
    2. adds sockets to equipment (gems are the only things socketable)
    3. removes gems from equipment

The last two are for convenience. He doesn't craft anything for you. You must supply the gems, which come in 14 tiers. The first 5 tiers (up to Perfect) can be found from monsters. Rest need to be combined. It will take 3^9 = 19683 Perfect gems to create one Radiant Star, which is probably going to be the rarest item you'll see in this game.

But back to the point, I don't see what makes this artisan interesting. Leveling Jeweler is about unlocking different tiers to which he can combine gems and the obvious limiting factor here is that you won't have enough gems to combine. Lower tier gems aren't worth bothering either. If you find one, just use it but don't start combining anything below Perfect. You will need 40 slots worth of inventory space with Perfect and above gems already.
    I've thought about this as well. As things stand, the Jeweller will be a bit boring.
    Well, gems of the same type/tier stack so basically every gem is worth it.

Gems are more or less for extra min-maxing. I think it's fine as it is, obviously there's a lot of room for improvement. I'd like to see more types of items for socketing and some other fun stuff you can do with socketing in the future.
    Find any Diablo news? Contact me or anyone else on the news team.
    Quote from Doomscream

Well, gems of the same type/tier stack so basically every gem is worth it.

Gems are more or less for extra min-maxing. I think it's fine as it is, obviously there's a lot of room for improvement. I'd like to see more types of items for socketing and some other fun stuff you can do with socketing in the future.

- I didn't even remember that gems didn't stack in Diablo II originally. Mods added all sorts of cool features. Anyway, the amount of of inventory space required for gems is huge, just because there's so many grades of them. 14*4=56 slots for gems. There's also crafting materials for 4 different difficulty levels for 9 in total. There's also pages (2) and tomes (3) for both jewelcrafting and blacksmithing. I wonder do we have shared stash space for actual item transfer left when 70 slots are taken by these things.

I wish I could post on the official forums, but I don't have SC2 or WoW characters.
    Gems my good friend! Gems to socket gear! Lots of em!
    "Just quit and wait for GW2"
    I love gems, there shiny and... shiny! :D
    19683 to get a radiant is so many gems... :bleh:

Best setup ever!
    Too many gem ranks, not enough gem types.
    At least the gems aren't destroyed upon extraction, so they can build up over time. (according to the game guide anyway)
    "I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
    ~ Bertrand Russell ~
    British author, mathematician & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
    Doesn't the jewler make amulets and rings and stuff like that?
    Quote from abu11

1. upgrades 3 gems of same grade to next tier
    2. adds sockets to equipment (gems are the only things socketable)
    3. removes gems from equipment

The last two are for convenience.

I wouldn't go so far as to call points two and three 'for convenience sake', far from it.
    Adding sockets to a new weapon you've collected, then removing gems from the old one, and sticking them over into your latest damage dealer is pretty invaluable, if you ask me. Let's say you've been hauling a star ruby with you, upgrading it along the way. That extra damage is as much a part of your damage dealing arsenal as any. Or having life steal or extra crit on your weapon may be just as important to your build.

I think the jeweler will surprise a lot of people, and some may even find themselves choosing to upgrade him over the blacksmith.

Quote from maka

Too many gem ranks, not enough gem types.

I agree with you 100%!

Especially since gems are equal (in Blizzard's mind) to the mystic, or actually, gems are deemed better since they were chosen above the mystic. 4 types of gems against over 300 mystic recipes, I'm really hoping they up the gem count after release. Or at least they could make it so that gem properties change depending on what item you slot it into.

So far, gems have great potential, but I still preferred the mystic over the jeweler and the blacksmith, combined.
    I don't really have a problem with the gems themselves. it's only a problem if you can't live without the Radiant Star. If you look at the Amethysts and the helm effect(12% life), it only goes up by 1% every time you upgrade it. It's not much of an increase, so there's no need to go hunting for the Radiants. You might be better off just keeping your gems pretty basic until you have more than you really need.

I think the Radiant Stars are meant to be something you can almost never achieve, so even if you have ALL the best gear, you'll still be able to upgrade it indefinitely - meaning your characters will never become obsolete. But I'm sidetracking here..

As for the jeweler artisan.. yeah, does seem fucking boring.
    Image removed due to its file extension: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=39239.0;attach=26376;image

last.fm
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes