Discussion about the Melee DR Bonus

Quote from Mesija

It is very unclear, but i think that the way it works is this.

You get 30% damage reduction not counting armor. The armor you get from gear and skills does not stack with it. So let's say you have 15% reduction from armor, that does not make it 45% but it remains 30%.
    But when you get let's say 40% reduction from armor, you are now at 40%. So after 30% reduction, you get the benefit from more armor.
    I pressume this is made so monks and barbarians can have a bit easier time surviving at the start until they get some cool survival tools.

Not sure if i like it, i always liked the playstyle of the melee weak at start-stronger as you progress type.

This makes no sense when applied to this kind of game though, as no one is really worried about survivability between classes before level 30. This change is ment to help in the second half of the game or even anything past normal difficulty where a significant chance of dieing starts to show and thus the melee characters begin to become disadvantaged as they take much more damage than ranged charaters.

By addining it to the list of DR multipliers it significantly effects the late game in a positive way for these more heavliy abused characters.

Edit for specifics: In your examples getting 15% DR from armor would turn melee DR into about 40% DR (ex 100 dmge -30% (base)= 70 -15% (armor) = 59.5 OR 100-15%=85-30%=59.5
    It doesn't matter what order you apply it in. This is called the commutative property for those who are less mathmatically inclined.
    and adding 40% armor would result in 58 DR total 100-30%=70-40%=42
    If that made sense to you, Bravo! I think I even confused myself...
    Quote from Mesija

It is very unclear, but i think that the way it works is this.

You get 30% damage reduction not counting armor. The armor you get from gear and skills does not stack with it. So let's say you have 15% reduction from armor, that does not make it 45% but it remains 30%.
    But when you get let's say 40% reduction from armor, you are now at 40%. So after 30% reduction, you get the benefit from more armor.
    I pressume this is made so monks and barbarians can have a bit easier time surviving at the start until they get some cool survival tools.

Not sure if i like it, i always liked the playstyle of the melee weak at start-stronger as you progress type.

This is like peekaydee math here....that make no sense at all.

Its not confusing in the slightest its this,

Quote from chippydip

"This damage reduction is applied at the same time as all other damage reducing effects (such as Armor)"

"all other damage reducing effects"

So, we should assume this new reduction gets added to the list of current effects:
    * Armor
    * Resist (physical or elemental)
    * Skill-based reductions
    * Damage Reduction Shrine
    * etc

These are all applied multiplicatively, so I see no reason to assume that the 30% DR would work any differently. Since they are all multiplied, it doesn't matter at all what order each reduction is actually applied in--swap around the order and you get the same result--so for all intents and purposes, we can say that all these reductions are "applied at the same time".

I'm pretty sure the point of the post was just to inform people that it's applied before block rather than after. (Incidentally, this post was much more informative than just announcing the new 30% DR...it also confirms that block is applied after all percentage reductions, which makes it a much more valuable stat vs if block was applied first.)
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Epicurus
    Quote from Antirepublican

This is like peekaydee math here....that make no sense at all.

I guess you're trying to get this thread locked too?
    How do the dr mechanics work with respect to dodge is it:

1) dodge calc ...then what ever is left over:
    2) dr calc ...then what ever is left over:
    3) block calc
    Quote from nycgags

How do the dr mechanics work with respect to dodge is it:

1) dodge calc ...then what ever is left over:
    2) dr calc ...then what ever is left over:
    3) block calc

It doesn't matter in what order, because dodge completely negates the damage. Think of it as multiplying the number by zero. It doesn't matter WHERE you're multiplying it, in the end, it becomes zero.
    Weak game design here, say what you like if a class grabs 30% flat bonus damage reduction due to it's attacks generally being more short ranged it's poorly designed classes being bailed out as well as a badly scaling attribute set up.

What this impacts on is melee wizards viability all the more, it's pretty much saying certain wizard skills are superfluous.
    If this is the case they need adjustment made to them.

If a game is going to crow about customization possibilities and then implement these type of unimaginative changes broadcasting the blatant limitations you will have it is disappointing.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes