Will Wizard's farm rate dominate the rest of us?

Quote from GladHeHasBeta

Quote from Phaxey

I dont think any class has the advantage in endgame gear collection. I believe the best gear is going to be most easily obtainable when playing in a group, and therefor people playing 4 * wizard is not going to make the loot distrubution very good. Also there is probably going to be some kind of synergy between different classes. A simple example would be if 4 wizards in inferno mode faced a monster who was magic immune, this is not exactly the same as synergy, but you get my point i hope.

everything is wrong in this post. ill enlighten you.

first of all. all loot is individual. meaning when a mob dies regardless of who killed it has a chance to drop individual loot for every person and no one can see eachothers drops.

secondly there will be NOTHING easy about inferno. solo or co op.

thirdly there are NO immune monsters in D3. they said they will not be putting those back in. thank god

do more research before posting. kthxbai

While this is all true, there will still be monsters that are magic resistant (not immune). Those types of monsters would be harder for an all mage group to take on. Eitherway, without having seen high level characters, I don't think anyone knows what class will be the best at farming gear in Inferno yet.
    Quote from Ruppgu

While this is all true, there will still be monsters that are magic resistant (not immune). Those types of monsters would be harder for an all mage group to take on. Eitherway, without having seen high level characters, I don't think anyone knows what class will be the best at farming gear in Inferno yet.

you do realize all classes have a lot of elements right? every class has fire and physical damage and the mage has fire lightning ice arcane poison and physical also. again. people need to do at least a little research before posting.

this is obviously speculation. no one can "know" but based on certain factors we can have a pretty decent guess
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
    Quote from Ottosen

Let's face it. No matter the end-game implemented by Blizzard, the biggest end-game will be items.

Anyone who played Diablo 2 can testify to this trend, and nobody will mind it either - it's awesomesauce!

In Diablo 2, people had their farming chars, that got gear for the chars they also played, and it's exactly this point I'd like to hear you guys on.

Do you reckon, that in Diablo 3, the wizard, perhaps even ranged in general, will have an edge over the melee characters, when it comes to farming speed? The scenario I'm seeing is a solo barbarian using semi defensive gear and skills to withstand the damage taken in melee, whereas a wizard playing alone will kite the enemy AI, while unloading higher damage.

A few points to make:
    1. It seems (according to previous blue posts) that there'll be superior MF farming in groups rather than solo play, but sometimes you just wont have a group.

2. I'm aware that none of us know Inferno yet, but that's why I'm asking what you guys think.

3. Has anything been mentioned on mobs being more aggresive later on? Maybe faster moving in general? Do mobs tend to go for the closest player, cause that would essentially make melee tanks, despite their "No healers, No tanks, no DPS - just face smashing" song useless.

I'm not even in beta yet, (><), but you were asking for an opinion and that is something I /can/ do! :)

I remember in Diablo 2 there was a balance you had to find of MF gear and gear that enhances your ability to do damage. I could be totally off here, but would wearing a lot of magic find make said class even MORE squishy (wizard), and make kiting more difficult? Would it be easier to find a balance with a character that would have at least one oh S*** ability? (barb)

I've been a HUGE diablo fan since the first game, oh-so-long ago. It kills me that I haven't got a beta invite, but I'm dealing with it. From the information that is available on the game, I think we have a winner. I'm super-stoked and think this game is going to be my 'main' for some time to come.
    not at all! I think the monk will be the best farming class to be honest. I cant wait to use some of his aoe skills to get serious gold. In my opinion the wizzard will be one of the worst classes for farming. Wat do you guys htink of the monk being able to smash over other classes?
    I would expect that they would have gone to the lengths to balance the game well so that every class will have an equal chance, especially for such a highly anticipated game
    Quote from Hans

Quote from Lsdreamx

Quote from Hans

I will also be playing mostly Hardcore so I do not think I will have that many Legendary Gear and I also do not plan on playing a character as soon as it defeated Infernal. I will likely nag Blizzard to wipe my account on a monthly basis.

Huh? Why on earth would u delete your characters, especially if u play hardcore and manage not to die "ever" ? Imo whole point of playing hc is not to die, and thats whats driving u to play it , if u think otherwise why would u even bother?

Just doesnt make sense to me

I find that is not enjoyable with that character if that character has defeated all the areas and is much more fun to create a new one. I also plan on never changing a skill after I picked a skill, so if I want to try a new build I will have to create a new one.

While I wouldn't go so far as to delete and remake characters that have clocked Inferno (I like to see how powerful I can get a character, even after he/she's beaten the hardest part of the game), I'm with you on sticking with the skills.
    I am having a hard time with this topic. When I think about farming in an rpg, I generally think of farming certain enemies for drops that you know drop. Now that Blizzard is focusing more towards the experience of killing enemies throughout the world, the idea of farming turns into a new meaning. Allow me to break out the various view points on farming -

Farming certain mobs for certain items -

This is by far one of the farming methods I have grown acustomed to. You know the loot tables on bosses, you know the mats that drop on a mob, and you camp/grind/farm your way until you get the item(s) you want.

Time and speed farming -

This is where I think the focus is going to be the most in Diablo 3. The overall fact that the more you play, the better chance you will get the items you want to use and/or sell. On that same note, the time you take to breeze by an area of a map can bring the biggest advantage in farming.

Now just to stress I don't have access to the Diablo 3 beta and I have been reviewing all of the released video & articles since its release, the class makeup is pretty tough when you try to pin point just one class to be the overall farming class. A lot of this will depend on the mob your fighting, the class your using, and the skill level of the world your in. It will be interesting to see how this plays out when it is released. When and if I get a beta invite, I look forward to try it out.
    Quote from saga30

I am having a hard time with this topic. When I think about farming in an rpg, I generally think of farming certain enemies for drops that you know drop. Now that Blizzard is focusing more towards the experience of killing enemies throughout the world, the idea of farming turns into a new meaning. Allow me to break out the various view points on farming -

Farming certain mobs for certain items -

This is by far one of the farming methods I have grown acustomed to. You know the loot tables on bosses, you know the mats that drop on a mob, and you camp/grind/farm your way until you get the item(s) you want.

Time and speed farming -

This is where I think the focus is going to be the most in Diablo 3. The overall fact that the more you play, the better chance you will get the items you want to use and/or sell. On that same note, the time you take to breeze by an area of a map can bring the biggest advantage in farming.

Now just to stress I don't have access to the Diablo 3 beta and I have been reviewing all of the released video & articles since its release, the class makeup is pretty tough when you try to pin point just one class to be the overall farming class. A lot of this will depend on the mob your fighting, the class your using, and the skill level of the world your in. It will be interesting to see how this plays out when it is released. When and if I get a beta invite, I look forward to try it out.

As for Diablo, there actually never was some kind of loot table.
    A normal rare mob, was able to drop a legendary by lets say 0,0000000000001%
    A Boss just had a zero less...
    Ofc those numbers are not real, but that's the number most Diablo players feel hehe

So when somebody is talking about the best class to Farm, i highly doubt that Diablo 3 is made for solo farmers anyway.
    The best drops will for sure be in Inferno mode, and maybe even on the later Acts of the game.
    So even with best in slot gear, you will not be able to solofarm, just because in Act 1 Inferno the minimum level of the Monsters will be 61. Which means that in later difficulties the level of those monster will be greater.
    Why does that affect the player?
    I assume that a Monster with a greater level than yours will be harder to hit/crit and they on the other hand will have an easier time hitting/critting you. It was always this way in Blizzard's games. So i don't believe that they will change that now in Diablo 3
    Feels really hard predicting this right now. Although i haven't watched that many beta videos, it feels like every class is pretty good at aoe farming. And i hope they won't make every bosses in the end of the dungeon with a lot of trash you can skip by blinking past.
    Well wizards are gonna be atleast one of the classes that can level the fastest atm. Jeez have you seen arcane orb in the beta? I pretty much only had to rightclick once every 5 seconds to clear everything. That will running around in absolute shit gear. With the absurd scaling and the 20yard rune addition that orb is gonna be your free ticket to Hell.
    Quote from deleo

Well wizards are gonna be atleast one of the classes that can level the fastest atm. Jeez have you seen arcane orb in the beta? I pretty much only had to rightclick once every 5 seconds to clear everything. That will running around in absolute shit gear. With the absurd scaling and the 20yard rune addition that orb is gonna be your free ticket to Hell.

incoming nerf*
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

Quote from deleo

incoming nerf*

Ye im expecting that. There is no way they should let this go live, not with that rune on low lvl atleast.
    Well its normal mode and the Beta you guys are facing with the Arcane Orb, it sure is an amazing Spell, but one will not be enough to clear a group in nightmare, hell or inferno.
    I can imagine even a geared Wizard having the need to cast 2-3 orbs to clear a group on Hell.
    It's not only and purely the amazing scaling it has. The spell literally kills an entire room, the range is huge. It's like a frozen orb on steroids atm. You dont have to aim it as long as it hits 'something'. A barrel? the wall? maybe this char! np, mobs dead.
    Quote from deleo

It's not only and purely the amazing scaling it has. The spell literally kills an entire room, the range is huge. It's like a frozen orb on steroids atm. You dont have to aim it as long as it hits 'something'. A barrel? the wall? maybe this char! np, mobs dead.

and considering you can spam 3 rapid fire so 750% wpn dmg instantly in a giant radius.... ya thats insane. considering how badly the WD got nerfed the last thing they should've done is buff the wiz
    The OPs got a point there but i am sure that the barbarian can bash his way trough enemys very well and the lack of kiting needed for a barb, will get him moving just as fast, at least thats what i think, havent tried the game yet.
    The wizard class will be good for faming till the end of nightmare i beleive. Once in hell im only asuming that enemy resistance will dominate your class without others in your party, so no, i dont beleive they will dominate.
    I don't think any of the classe's will have a very big advantage over one another when it comes to inferno farming. Since farming is mostly done in dungeons and not boss runs different class's will have curtain places they can farm over one another. Atleast that's my opinion.
    Quote from ScroggDogg

I don't think any of the classe's will have a very big advantage over one another when it comes to inferno farming. Since farming is mostly done in dungeons and not boss runs different class's will have curtain places they can farm over one another. Atleast that's my opinion.

reasoning behind this? because in D2 no matter what area it was the sorc and hammerdin always raped besides maybe the maggot liar which no one farmed. lol
    I think I have to agree with the first posted reply; you can't just assume that because the barbarian is melee that means that he cannot deal damage. I think whichever character suits your playstyle best will be your best farming class. If that means you really enjoy a ranged class that deals high DPS you may prefer the Wizard or Demon Hunter, Melee go for the Monk or Barbarian, damage over time the Witch Doctor perhaps.

The OP also mentions that playing the Barbarian will require you to stack more defense, and I understand where your thoughts are coming from, but you have to realize that as you move further into game play that it will become more and more lucrative to play with a party for the exact reason that Blizzard has mentioned on multiple occasions: more people, more drops, more killing = happier players.

Perhaps for this you will have a farming group rather than players; people you enjoy chilling with running gameplay that you may or may not have already done, that have mutually agreed to share the loot that they think the other players may benefit from (a DH finds a Wand that is decent; doesn't insta-salvage but hands it off to the wizard who says yay-or-nay)

TL DR; perhaps take a look at some of the Blizzcon 2011 panels because they mention a lot about loot movement, but farming will really be guided by your playstyle versus say the more 'stacked' character.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes