Will Wizard's farm rate dominate the rest of us?

Let's face it. No matter the end-game implemented by Blizzard, the biggest end-game will be items.

Anyone who played Diablo 2 can testify to this trend, and nobody will mind it either - it's awesomesauce!

In Diablo 2, people had their farming chars, that got gear for the chars they also played, and it's exactly this point I'd like to hear you guys on.

Do you reckon, that in Diablo 3, the wizard, perhaps even ranged in general, will have an edge over the melee characters, when it comes to farming speed? The scenario I'm seeing is a solo barbarian using semi defensive gear and skills to withstand the damage taken in melee, whereas a wizard playing alone will kite the enemy AI, while unloading higher damage.

A few points to make:
    1. It seems (according to previous blue posts) that there'll be superior MF farming in groups rather than solo play, but sometimes you just wont have a group.

2. I'm aware that none of us know Inferno yet, but that's why I'm asking what you guys think.

3. Has anything been mentioned on mobs being more aggresive later on? Maybe faster moving in general? Do mobs tend to go for the closest player, cause that would essentially make melee tanks, despite their "No healers, No tanks, no DPS - just face smashing" song useless.
    Noob mistake.
    The barb is not a "tank" class. He can deal just as much damage as any of the other classes, and like the other classes they can take damage and go in toe-to-toe with enemies.
    Diablo is an action adventure game before an rpg.
    Yeah I don't see there being a certain "farm" class especially with the rune system being able to adjust your kills accordingly. And both the Monk and Barb have some healing skills to help for farming.
    I feel that D3 is not that much on finding the items but creating them. Gold Find is going to be a lot more important than magic find. The way it looks right now that the Mystic Artisan is going to be very important by adding a great deal of modifiers to your gear so that even magic (blue) items can be very good and can compete with rare and legendary items in Infernal.

You are likely to be able to make any character into a strong one just by using the Artisans.
    Some class(es) will be better suited for farming, but its early to know which. Ranged usually has an upper hand, and of those - depending on mobs abilities in Inferno. If you can kite mobs - WD and DH has a clear advantage, if not - then whoever has the highest damage, hint - its not a wizard.
    Quote from Hans

I feel that D3 is not that much on finding the items but creating them. Gold Find is going to be a lot more important than magic find. The way it looks right now that the Mystic Artisan is going to be very important by adding a great deal of modifiers to your gear so that even magic (blue) items can be very good and can compete with rare and legendary items in Infernal.

You are likely to be able to make any character into a strong one just by using the Artisans.

i second this, not only will gold find allow more gold for blacksmith/mystic use but more gold to use on the AH, therefor buying better gear. i predict gold find will be used much more then magic find because you can stack a heck of alot more, being able to craft/buy anything you want from the gold AH because you have 1k gold find will be better then trying to find an item that has a .001 drop rate with 300 magic find.
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
    Quote from Hans

However, you say that gold find is more important, but that's sort of not very relevant for my concern, as I was talking about farming speed - relevant to both mf and gf.

Interesting replies from all of you. I quite like your take on things.
    I dont know about that, I would think im going to make a lot more gold from selling magic items to vendor/selling rares on the AH than I am from picking up gold with extra gold find imo. Plus finding more items is a lot more fun that finding more gold.

Without knowing how much gold will drop/how much magic items will sell to a vendor in inferno theres no real way to guess what would be best for gold. As any rates we see in the beta mean nothing.

But Like I said, more items is a lot more fun, its why I play Diablo =P
    Quote from Molster

I dont know about that, I would think im going to make a lot more gold from selling magic items to vendor/selling rares on the AH than I am from picking up gold with extra gold find imo. Plus finding more items is a lot more fun that finding more gold.

Without knowing how much gold will drop/how much magic items will sell to a vendor in inferno theres no real way to guess what would be best for gold. As any rates we see in the beta mean nothing.

true, finding an item that sells for 500k gold on the AH would trump gold find, BUT the chances of finding said items that sell for that much is far too thin and unreliable, you can 100% rely that your gold find is going to work and your going to find alot of gold as well as sell items you find, i can see huge piles of gold dropping from reg mobs in inferno and if you have 1000%+ gold find and killing at a decent speed. id say you'll for sure make it rich. comparing 400 magic find to say 600-700 in gold find might not compare, but having say tripple+ the gold find of magic find would, i think, trump it.
    "once the pretty hardcore gamers we had testing inferno found it fairly difficult, we then we doubled it" -trolololol jay wilson
    Quote from WishedHeHadBeta

Quote from Molster

true, finding an item that sells for 500k gold on the AH would trump gold find, BUT the chances of finding said items that sell for that much is far too thin and unreliable, you can 100% rely that your gold find is going to work and your going to find alot of gold as well as sell items you find, i can see huge piles of gold dropping from reg mobs in inferno and if you have 1000%+ gold find and killing at a decent speed. id say you'll for sure make it rich. comparing 400 magic find to say 600-700 in gold find might not compare, but having say tripple+ the gold find of magic find would, i think, trump it.

I still dont think it would in the "long" run.

Remember magic find does just that, yes we dont see a massive increase in rares/legendary but we do in blues. These guys sell very well to vendors, I honestly think, with the "normal" gold drops + selling loads of blues (plus lets not forget thats more blues to take apart for crafting) Plus the once every so often rare we can sell on the AH, will in the long run, out pass extra gold dropping I would think.

Obviously we have no way to even guess which one is truly better until we see what magic items sell for/ how much gold drops without any extra gold find.

But even without that information, I can say hands down more magic find is "more fun" (to me at least).
    Quote from Molster

Remember magic find does just that, yes we dont see a massive increase in rares/legendary but we do in blues. These guys sell very well to vendors, I honestly think, with the "normal" gold drops + selling loads of blues (plus lets not forget thats more blues to take apart for crafting) Plus the once every so often rare we can sell on the AH, will in the long run, out pass extra gold dropping I would think.

Obviously we have no way to even guess which one is truly better until we see what magic items sell for/ how much gold drops without any extra gold find.

But even without that information, I can say hands down more magic find is "more fun" (to me at least).

true but... at least we dont have to pick up gold anymore... <_
    to the OP:

since now all classes are weapon dependent for damage and the wizard had alot of his spells nerfed, i dont see him being better then any other class at farming, if you have all 5 classes equally uber gear, theres still the infinite possibilities of the skill/rune system. for all we know there could be thousands of viable builds for end-game. making this argument impossible to make that one class is better then the other.

the only way to even remotely get close to calculate this in D3 is if you took all 5 classes x50 gave them all the same best gear and put skilled players behind them and timed them killing inferno as fast as they could and took the average of the killing times. so until that happens the variables are far too high to even try and argue this.
    I actually spoke with a blizz D3 dev at blizzcon this year, and he told me atm the 'best' MF farm class by far was the barb.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Quote from Snaks42

I actually spoke with a blizz D3 dev at blizzcon this year, and he told me atm the 'best' MF farm class by far was the barb.

Lol SURE. but even if u did a lot has changed. And I know that's BS because blizz recently said the barb dies the easiest in inferno right now. Lol
    Quote from Molster

Quote from Molster

Why would you sell them to the vendor instead of breaking them down into crafting mats?
    In WoW I will sometimes BUY greens from the AH, break them down, and sell them back. At a nice profit I might add.

Ohh and like 90% of my good items have come from the Blacksmith thus far on Beta.
    Do you want to get scammed? Perhaps a nice keylogger?
    "Just google "diablo 3 gold guide" and magical rainbow covered demons will assault your eyes."
    Quote from Mysticjbyrd

Why would you sell them to the vendor instead of breaking them down into crafting mats?
    In WoW I will sometimes BUY greens from the AH, break them down, and sell them back. At a nice profit I might add.

Ohh and like 90% of my good items have come from the Blacksmith thus far on Beta.

well once you craft the best lvl 60 gear the BS can make you might sell the rest. if you look at the craftable lvl 60 gear listed so far its not as good as the end-game legendaries. but there still up there. and who knows if the few mats will go for more on the AH then selling each item to the vender. wont know till release.
    Quote from Mysticjbyrd

Quote from Molster

Quote from Molster

I already said "or break them down for crafting" but it was a thread based on gold -> items gold find vs Magic find, thus I was comparing selling blues vs getting more gold.

whats more viable was not the point =P
    I think it will all end up being relative. Teleport made Sorcs great in diablo 2 for getting to a boss. But that now we don't necessarily need to get to a boss to find the best gear. With that in mind. I think it will depend on how well you can play a class that will determine your farming rate.
    Your deeds of valor will be remembered

Quote from Mysticjbyrd

well once you craft the best lvl 60 gear the BS can make you might sell the rest. if you look at the craftable lvl 60 gear listed so far its not as good as the end-game legendaries. but there still up there. and who knows if the few mats will go for more on the AH then selling each item to the vender. wont know till release.

The only thing I see on items is +x Random attributes.
    Do you want to get scammed? Perhaps a nice keylogger?
    "Just google "diablo 3 gold guide" and magical rainbow covered demons will assault your eyes."
    Remember with Gold Find you can then add MF through the Mystic to your gear. It also looks like based on the beta streams that gold drops are more common than item drops.

You can also buy magic items in shops and convert those to salvage mats if you need it to craft gear.

I will be looking to get as much gold find asap. Do some farming in lower areas and then upgrade some gear with better stats and then repeat it in the later stages of normal or in the beginning section of Nightmare and then continue from there. Magic Find will be one of the last mods I add and likely to end gear. Some of my end gear might be nightmare minor armor slots since the high end versions of those do not add that much more armor.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes