Next Expansion Speculation

What we know so far:

• Heaven and Hell both fear the Nephalem, as the Nephalem has proven that they are stronger than anything that both Heaven and Hell can throw at them
    • The Nephalem are bound to be corrupted sooner or later
    • Diablo has been set free - but it is not known if the Evils are still combined within Diablo or they have been separated when Malthael destroyed the Black Soulstone
    • There is a bit of banter talk between Lorath and Tyrael about trouble on the Skovos Isles (Amazon homeland).

One can speculate based on this that in the future expansion:

• Heaven and Hell (possibly some splinter factions) will ally in an effort to exterminate the Nephalem
    • We will be killing Diablo again
    • A powerful Nephalem will make a bid for power in order to exterminate the Angels and Demons (something like what Kulle had intended) - possibly a branching story line will be introduced for the first time in Diablo games
    • One of the locations will be Skovos Isles, with some Amazon off-shot being the next class

What do you think?
    Pietrak#2537 - changed my battle.tag just for you ;P
    Vanilla Diablo was all about fighting the demons. Reaper of Souls is all about fighting renegade Angels. I would expect the next expansion to be fighting the other Nephalem. Considering the Worldstone has been destroyed 20 years ago, it gives plenty of time to have a band of Nephalem be born and raised with amazing powers and they want to be the rulers of the universe. Something like Zoltun Kulle. In that sort of fashion, and knowing Blizzard's storytelling, Angels and Demons will make an untrustworthy alliance and help the player defeat these new Nephalem (seeing as how he/she is the only one that matches their power).
    I could definately see us fighting other nephalem in the next expansion. I recall an interview where they said that d3 originally had a player-choice driven storyline, but that it didn't work out. This could very well be the time to reintroduce it. Probably in the form of you choosing to be "good" or "evil". This might even tie in nicely with a complex PvP system (Even though they probably wouldn't/shouldn't dare making this an expansion-exclusive feature, but could be implemented in 3.0).
    if there will be another xpac this are my thoughts/wishes:

• a new act ofc.
    • during the story we will able choose a side(similar to InFamous and swtor), so we will have two story lines.
    • one with an angel sided nephalem and one with a corrupted diablo brofisting one.
    • necormancer will appear again (:P).

• new cosmetic angel wings (hopefully they won't take away bagspace...)

• druid class, through skills and ablities we can choose what we want him to play (str, dex or int).

had some more ideas but somehow they went *poof* atm :/

will add them later if they decide to come back.
    hmm. I belieave that there will not be another expansion to d3 but they will make a d4 in 4 years time.

I also belieave that in the next game. Who we were in d3 has been corrupted. but this is 40-50 years into the future. And the new generation (us in d4) will try to take down the nephalem as act 1 boss.
    I also belieave that with the shattering of the soulstone Diablo is a former shell of himself/herself. If he is she then she would have mated to get hell forces to rise again. introducing new evils. Baal and Mephisto will return. It is said that their soulstone was destroyed but their essence entered the black soulstone. so one would think they got released back into the burning hells again.

I also think that Darrick lang infested with the voice kabraxis will be a boss.

All in all i don't think there will be more expansions to D3.
    But if there is I hope that we will fight Baal and Mephisto again while Diablo is taking a break.

Actually like Rarhyx idea.
    Last edited by Saphyron: 4/6/2014 11:26:00 AM
    Quote from Rarhyx

if there will be another xpac this are my thoughts/wishes:

• a new act ofc.
    • during the story we will able choose a side(similar to InFamous and swtor), so we will have two story lines.
    • one with an angel sided nephalem and one with a corrupted diablo brofisting one.
    • necormancer will appear again (:P).

• new cosmetic angel wings (hopefully they won't take away bagspace...)

• druid class, through skills and ablities we can choose what we want him to play (str, dex or int).

had some more ideas but somehow they went *poof* atm :/

will add them later if they decide to come back.

I like this.

+over 9000
    B-Tag
    xCannon3#1433
    We will be fighting Prime Evils and Angels.

Imperius and Diablo will merge to become one to kill us.

Because they both hate us equally, and I can see Imperius wanting us dead more since we are an 'abomination' in the eyes of the angeris hos
    Quote from ironlocust

We will be fighting Prime Evils and Angels.

Imperius and Diablo will merge to become one to kill us.

Because they both hate us equally, and I can see Imperius wanting us dead more since we are an 'abomination' in the eyes of the angeris hos

If that was true then why did he help us with malthael. malthael wanted to end us. he found a way to kill all demons and those with demon blood in them ie. humans
    He wanted Mathael dead more. He didnt help us for more than two packs of mobs, and insulted us through it. Afterwards he said He would not help us.

Imperius despises us. All of Sanctuary but us more than anything else.
    With diablo re-realeased upon the world the wound he inflicted on Imperius will start to hurt again. Diablo will corrupt Imperius and convince the other angels to kill off the hero (almighty nephalem).
    The expansion will probably be set on islands with tropical forest? Amazons and druids could make a revisit.
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Kadala will use the countless number of Blood Shards we've given her for something sinister and we later fight her as a boss.
    Saphyron raises an interesting question. Will there be 0, 1, 2, 3, etc more expansion packs?

I believe that there will be at least one more expansion, if for no other reason than I'm not sure what there is to reinvent in D3. (Yes I know D3 is far from perfect but hear me out.) A key factor in moving from D3 to D4 will be when the whole game (i.e. graphics/mechanics/implementation) feels dated compared to the competition and needs to be reinvented. However, D3 has just finally gotten back on the right track with RoS/2.0.1 and I don't see them throwing all that work away just yet. And equivalent games like PoE, while possessing interesting features, don't make D3 feel *that* dated. Too simplistic maybe but certainly not dated. Heck, WoW is on it's fifth expansion and it's definitely feeling dated compared to the competition. But it's still the benchmark to beat in MMOs.

Adding a new class is tough. The Crusader balances out the strength/dex/int character numbers. If they add classes, I'm guessing they will either add 3 or none. The necromancer is an obvious choice although it does have a lot of overlap with the witch doctor. A retooled shapeshifting melee druid could be cool. And then maybe some other reimagining of the Amazon. If they add three classes, they're going to have to borrow a lot from their preexisting classes but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

Fighting the Amazons which have become rogue nephalem makes a lot of sense given the teaser dialogue in the game. But just as easily I could see the Necromancers and the Druids becoming corrupted as well. I'm guessing that the next expansion will feature a lot more D2 era lore. D3 has found a good spot in terms of classes and combat. So if anything, they need more content in the form of more quests, story missions, explorable zones, etc. And intertwining D2 lore and locales (while expanding on it) gives Blizzard the most bang for their development buck.
    From what I heard, Blizzard will make one more Diablo 3 expansion. I thought of the imbalance one more class would bring, but what can they add that won't be a copy of D2 classes? I only came with the idea of Zakarum Priests being an Intelligence class, but then we would have 3 "holy" classes (alongside the Monk and a Crusader). But if Lorath - Tyrael conversation is a hint of the next expansion, maybe we will have a Druid class with a different setup. Maybe they will benefit the same from Dexterity, Intelligence and Strength. But then again, maybe not.
    Quote from Pisholina

From what I heard, Blizzard will make one more Diablo 3 expansion. I thought of the imbalance one more class would bring, but what can they add that won't be a copy of D2 classes? I only came with the idea of Zakarum Priests being an Intelligence class, but then we would have 3 "holy" classes (alongside the Monk and a Crusader). But if Lorath - Tyrael conversation is a hint of the next expansion, maybe we will have a Druid class with a different setup. Maybe they will benefit the same from Dexterity, Intelligence and Strength. But then again, maybe not.

They were perfectly fine with having an imbalanced set of classes when they released D3V, so I guess that isn't a problem. I'd bet my money on a dexterity class for the next expansion though.

Unless... they could make some revolution when it comes down to skill sets and character building - something like a class specialization. Like 2 specializations for each class, where the chosen specialization would change the "main stat" of the class. Then it would make any "imbalanced class sets" obsolete.
    Quote from Pietrak
    Quote from Pisholina

They were perfectly fine with having an imbalanced set of classes when they released D3V, so I guess that isn't a problem. I'd bet my money on a dexterity class for the next expansion though.

Unless... they could make some revolution when it comes down to skill sets and character building - something like a class specialization. Like 2 specializations for each class, where the chosen specialization would change the "main stat" of the class. Then it would make any "imbalanced class sets" obsolete.

They could also go for a full vitality class, which uses it's own health pool as a resource pool (in percentages and not flat amounts).

For instance, in some lore, shapeshifting is a painful process, so shifting could take some % of your life away for the duration of the transformation. If it's something like a druid, summoning a couple of pet types could be possible by reserving some % of you total life.

Attacks could be infused with you life essence, damaging you in the process of damaging enemies. This could be done as a % of current health, so you don't kill yourself.

That makes the character unique to the others, but doesn't make it overly tanky. Balancing it might be difficult, since other classes get mitigation from their primaries and such, but it'd be a way to keep the main stat balance and add something that plays different.
    Quote from TheTruthAbounds

They could also go for a full vitality class, which uses it's own health pool as a resource pool (in percentages and not flat amounts).

That never should happen in the current class system. Each class has to invest in vitality and main stat. If on any class vitality was the main stat then the whole gearing would be much easier for that single class, as one of the primary affixes would be freed for other options.
    Quote from Pietrak
    Quote from TheTruthAbounds

That never should happen in the current class system. Each class has to invest in vitality and main stat. If on any class vitality was the main stat then the whole gearing would be much easier for that single class, as one of the primary affixes would be freed for other options.

Yeah, and that stat would become % life (or life regen, life on hit), because you need more health than other classes, since your skills use health. If balanceed correctly, it makes a different kind of gearing option, but it wouldn't be easier, since they still need an excess of life to do damage and survive.

It's totally an option. Not saying it wouldn't require some balancing and thought, but it's totally doable without making that class easier to gear for.

PLUS, each other main stat has secondary bonuses (armor, dodge, res all) that this class would have to stack, so some of those "freed" up options would go into mitigation stats, since the class wouldn't get any by stacking main stat.
    Quote from thatFPGAguy

Adding a new class is tough. The Crusader balances out the strength/dex/int character numbers. If they add classes, I'm guessing they will either add 3 or none.

Or they just add two new classes, which use something that is not str/int/dex. This way everybody has to get new gear...
    Quote from xrmb
    Quote from thatFPGAguy

Adding a new class is tough. The Crusader balances out the strength/dex/int character numbers. If they add classes, I'm guessing they will either add 3 or none.

Or they just add two new classes, which use something that is not str/int/dex. This way everybody has to get new gear...

That's a really good idea. I vote "charisma". Two new classes could be a thief and bard. #DoItBilzzard
    I think that we, as Nephalem could grow a pair of balls and make our stand against both Heavens and Hells arrogance. Purge the Diabloverse! ^.^
    I am not willing to align myself with Imperius punk.
    And keeping Diablo in sort of Zoo. He has a pair of nice horns... You chop his head of, take the horns, he respawns.

I hope that next class will be pure Melee. Amazons could utilize spear combat. But Amazons can only be women.
    Barbarians are sort of... shamanas from WoW.
    Monks thunder teleportation, vortexes of fire... yeah...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes