Φ Diablo Books Chronological Order

Yeah, new books are being written by Knaak and other authors. I dunno if they will include Mendeln/Kalan, but apparently they will involve Zayl.

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    WoW fans are nerds. Diablo fans are freaks.
    So are any of the Diablo books any good? I have read the first 2 books of the Sin War trilogy and they are very very bad. The language and story of those books are comparable to internet fanfiction, which is a shame since the setting from the games is very interesting.
    Quote from "Calamity" »
    So are any of the Diablo books any good? I have read the first 2 books of the Sin War trilogy and they are very very bad. The language and story of those books are comparable to internet fanfiction, which is a shame since the setting from the games is very interesting.

VARY BAD!!!! YOUR INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SIN WAR IS AWSOME!!!!
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

Interesting .. can't really agree on the sin war being bad storywise. I can understand the writing style/language is not of your liking, as that is very subjective, as in everyone has their own tastes. But I have to say the depth of the story and the way, in my opinion, the sin war trilogy offers the backbone to the diablo universe (as opposed to fanfiction), I find it really good. I can't say much about the other books yet, but I'd guess if you don't like the sin war, the other books won't interest you much either.

Maybe offtopic though, dunno . .
    Quote from "Calamity" »

If you don't like reading The Sin War, you likely won't like the other books either. I admit that its the 'cool' factor that really sells it for me. Though yeah, it would be even cooler if it was a little more complex and... sophistacated? But I still love it as it is. It definitely satisfies my fantasy-needs.

Offtopic? Eh, there isn't much else to talk about in this thread.

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    I dont mean to offend anyone, but have you guys read any fantasy by authors not tied to a franchise like George RR Martin, Gene Wolfe or Steven Erikson? Not trying to be elitist since I like and read books based for instance on the Mass Effect game or the Forgotten Realms books. :)

Also before I start ranting I should say thar I kind of enjoyed the books and will probably read the others except the last sin war book. Its like watching a really bad cheesy tv show like Buffy can sometimes be enjoyable. :D

But I have to say the depth of the story and the way, in my opinion, the sin war trilogy offers the backbone to the diablo universe (as opposed to fanfiction), I find it really good.
    Thats the thing that dissapoints me the most ruins the books for me. All the parts with the super powerful mythical beings like Inarius and Lucion, where i expect something really cool to happen, plays out like an episode of a soap opera with some generic fantasy mixed in. The way the author portrays these beings they might as well have been powerful, influential humans, not cold, calculating inhuman overlords determined to enslave the human race to their will.

Then there is the story of Uldyssian. The unassuming nobody suddenly gains powers and wants to use them for good! Where have I read that before? The beautiful noblewoman randomly develops a crush on a nobody. What? She had an ulterior motive? Never saw that coming. Also, his adventures seem really trivial and stupid. He wins his fights by really wanting to win, and his superpowers just takes care of the rest.

Even the subplots suck. A demon in a ancient building in the jungle sends "rage" at him so he goes over ther and wishes it dead. Uh what? Thats it? Can you at least explore the building for a cool artifact?

I admit that its the 'cool' factor that really sells it for me
    I also got the books for the cool factor of the Diablo universe, but the author has turned it into generic fantasy. I guess i was just expecting a much darker and complex story.
    The "Ask Lore Questions Here" thread is more enjoyable and informative to read than the books, ant to top it off, better written.

VARY BAD!!!! YOUR INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE SIN WAR IS AWSOME!!!!
    THANKS FOR THIS VARY AWSOME POST!!!!!!! YOUR AWSOME!!!!!!!:thumbsup:
    Quote from "Calamity" »
    I dont mean to offend anyone, but have you guys read any fantasy by authors not tied to a franchise like George RR Martin, Gene Wolfe or Steven Erikson? Not trying to be elitist since I like and read books based for instance on the Mass Effect game or the Forgotten Realms books. :)

Also before I start ranting I should say thar I kind of enjoyed the books and will probably read the others except the last sin war book. Its like watching a really bad cheesy tv show like Buffy can sometimes be enjoyable. :D

Thats the thing that dissapoints me the most ruins the books for me. All the parts with the super powerful mythical beings like Inarius and Lucion, where i expect something really cool to happen, plays out like an episode of a soap opera with some generic fantasy mixed in. The way the author portrays these beings they might as well have been powerful, influential humans, not cold, calculating inhuman overlords determined to enslave the human race to their will.

Then there is the story of Uldyssian. The unassuming nobody suddenly gains powers and wants to use them for good! Where have I read that before? The beautiful noblewoman randomly develops a crush on a nobody. What? She had an ulterior motive? Never saw that coming. Also, his adventures seem really trivial and stupid. He wins his fights by really wanting to win, and his superpowers just takes care of the rest.

Even the subplots suck. A demon in a ancient building in the jungle sends "rage" at him so he goes over ther and wishes it dead. Uh what? Thats it? Can you at least explore the building for a cool artifact?

I also got the books for the cool factor of the Diablo universe, but the author has turned it into generic fantasy. I guess i was just expecting a much darker and complex story.
    The "Ask Lore Questions Here" thread is more enjoyable and informative to read than the books, ant to top it off, better written.

ALot ofthe "Ask Lore Questions Here" are from the Sin War. READ BOOK THREE!!! YOU WONT BE DISAPOINTED!!!!
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

ok so you don`t like Knaak`s writing style, I myself get bored at him sometimes too, he just gives it all up very soon and the rest of the mystery is like "something added". But I find the trilogy very epic, not like something else like the Wheel or Drizzt sagas but good for a video game backstory. And think of it like this, those subplots are not finifhed there so they can be finished ingame ;)

As for the other books, Legacy of blood, Kingdom of shadow and Moon of the spider are all writen by Knaak, if you don`t like him, you decide. The Black road is like Salvatore`sDemon wars... at least that was I told, that leaves Demonsbane witch is my personal favorite, it`s like a nice bedtime story ;]
    At least that is what I think... ;]

P.S. sorry for my bad english
    Quote from "Calamity" »

I have tried to read some, but its hard knowing what is out there and what I will like. I read the first book in The Dark Tower series, but I didn't like it enough to continue. I didn't like the feel of it. I've also read another demon book, but I didn't like the feel of that one either. If you know of any other books with the same or similar feel of Diablo, let me know. I'd especially like it too if it was more extreme than Diablo is.

The Black Road is written by a different author, and its pretty tricky with all this fate and destiny, and has a really nice chapter about the difference between angels and demons (where there isn't much difference at all). Though if you do read it, just hold out until the end. The beginning is extremely generic and cheesy, but it gets much better as it goes along.

Ahh yeah, because they didn't really use their demonic or Heavenly powers? That is true. But I still like it.

Uldyssian's powers kind of get better in the end of The Sin War trilogy. His powers go way out of control, like a mind of their own. Though you probably think thats really cheesy too. So what do you think of Mendeln then? I really like him the most, is his story cheesy, generic and cliche too?

I guess it depends how much you read. In a way, I'm lucky that I haven't read many fantasy books so I can really enjoy the Diablo books without feeling like its too generic.

Hahahaha

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    Haven't read any fantasy books to be honest, usually fiction about real world or novels about real happenings.

Storywise, I think Knaak is bound to certain previously existing lore and the upcoming games? That would limit the possibilities a bit I guess.
    This does not apply to your argument about Uldyssians story or your soap opera though. I must agree that the "spells" or powers Uldyssian uses, are vague and would have been more interesting if they resembled some of the powers in Diablo 1 or 2. The whole story about Uldyssian can be seen as him learning the magic within, or growing with experience as a character, as in levelling up as an edyrem, and this aswell could have been more descriptive.
    Mendeln has powers which are more familiar to the Diablo series, being the Necromancer student of Rathma/Trag'oul, which appeals to me the most(as many others on this forum aswell). For me partly because of the "dark aspects" of his actions, partly because his powers and deeds resemble those of the necromancer.

But I still really like the sin war story, as a series to explain how things came to pass and . . . it's ... diablo .. :cool:
    Quote from "Calamity" »

try mel odom's The Black Road. Best suggestion I have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Don't be mad because I'm...
    I found a Book in Amazon.com named Diablo Archives saying that it contains the 4 tales of Diablo in the world of Blizzard"!
    Anyone has info bout that book?
    Be a Gamer or Die Tryin'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    " And So our Tale ends, Bruenor BattleHammer.. In battle, as it should" -Drizzt Do'Urden -Ice Wind Dale-
    Here: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_Archive

Its basically just four previous books re-released into one massive book. If you haven't read the stories in it yet, then sure, buy it in one nice little package. But it could make reading somewhat difficult, being so thick.

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    Quote from "Atrumentis" »
    Here: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_Archive

Its basically just four previous books re-released into one massive book. If you haven't read the stories in it yet, then sure, buy it in one nice little package. But it could make reading somewhat difficult, being so thick.

K thanks for help :)
    But I'll prefer TakinG all the 7 books separated, it's just more appealing ^^
    Be a Gamer or Die Tryin'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    " And So our Tale ends, Bruenor BattleHammer.. In battle, as it should" -Drizzt Do'Urden -Ice Wind Dale-
    we hope that Richard A. Knaak will write another book of diablo:cool:
    I never read the books in english, but when i read them in polish they were an amazing read (all of them!) So if anyone hear loves diablo but didn't like it in english(it is a relatively young language after all) , then I reccomend trying it in another language (considering you can read another language) XD

I dont get it. I recently bought Diablo Archive and I've read Legacy of Blood and The Black Road. According to the chronology here Demonsbane is the first tale. The Black Road is second and Legacy of Blood is third, but in the book Diablo Archive, Legacy of Blood is first then comes The Black Road, The Kingdom of Shadow and last Demonsbane. How come?
    Because thats just the order they were published in.

Legacy of Blood 2001
    The Black Road 2002
    Kingdom of Shadow 2002
    Moon of the Spider 2006
    The Sin War: Birthright 2006
    The Sin War: Scales of the Serpent 2007
    The Sin War: The Veiled Prophet 2007

I'm not sure if thats the year they were actually released in though, I thought the last Sin War book came out in 2008. But those are the copyright dates printed on the books, so it'll do.

The first three books (other than Demonsbane, which is sort of a special case) were published as a series, even though they aren't a series at all. Then Moon of the Spider came as an individual book, and then The Sin War trilogy came.

Quote from "Jetrall" »
    It makes sense. Weird planning of chronology though. During the Legacy of Blood and Black Road tghey mention the Sin Wars e few times even though they were never written.

Oh well, have to read it all anyway. Thanks to the list here I can start imagine the timeline :)
    The concept of there being a 'Sin War' was established in the first Diablo game. It basically means the war between Heaven and Hell on Earth (Sanctuary). The Sin War trilogy describes the beginning of the war, and it won't stop until both Heaven and Hell leave Sanctuary alone (not likely, ever).

Happy readings :)

Quote from "Jetrall" »
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes