Original D3 story

I don't know exactly but I guess that D1 and D2 story was written by different team than D3. I'm curious to know how Blizz North guys viewed the story of the third installment. It would be great to know how they planned the story of D2 to turn out, how the destruction of Worldstone would affect Sanctuary, how they wanted to bring back Evils, the story of D3 and the universe in their view.

Don't know if somebody would bother to reply but the point of this thread is that I would love an interview with guys responsible for story of D1 and D2 about the points I made in post. So if Diablofans or any other person with some contacts might want to make this interview, It would have been great ;)
    i agree would be a good read, specially since blizzard north did start on a version of D3 before it got scrapped. so they had to have some what of a story in the works...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Metzen

isnt Sir Metzen the one behind all Diablo games ?

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Chris_Metzen

If he is the only person behind the story than he fell really far from good standards, at least in my opinion. But I found this http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=26602&tab=credits Chris is responsible for Story concept but there is another team for Story and Dialog. And because of so many retconned stuff and actually very different style of plot execution, my guess is that Chris just made this idea of a Diablo game, but whole plot was developed by this team. And in Diablo 3 this team changed.

to which I often answer "isnt G.Lucas behind all the Star Wars movies?"
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." Shigeru Miyamoto-nintendo boss

"I think it's hilarious because gamers won't be getting watered down anything.
    This is flat out Diablo 3." -Anonymous discussing the console version

to which I often answer "isnt G.Lucas behind all the Star Wars movies?"

tu che'
    I'm pretty sure the story was quite in line with the "new" D3 story. I remember seeing some images of the old version of D3 and they had that place which pretty much looked like heaven in the current D3 but with worse graphics. I do think however, that the more recent changes made to D3 were all in a purpose of broadening the potential audience of the game. So the end where Tyrael is like "Together, Angels and men!" is probably something they added quite recently (which is totaly stupid i must add).

I think the issue with the story isn't so much that Metzen fell off (the core story has a lot of potential) it's that they did SO much more that how cheesy the story is kinda takes over. The best example is the fact that Azomodan and Diablo just...won't...shut...up. Basically, D2 really only gave you the high points of the story, this game tries to fill out a lot more, and kinda falls flat because of it.

Like the idea that a monster is scarier if you never see it, cause what the brain makes up is scarier than anything that can be put on screen, and villian that doesn't constantly monologue (especially after EVERY time you make progress) is better.

I don't know exactly but I guess that D1 and D2 story was written by different team than D3.

Just go to mobygames. The credits are there.

You'll almost never get a candid public opinion from someone in an industry about someone else in an industry that could be perceived as disparaging. That's true in games and any other industry.

The Craddock "Stay Awhile" book should be good, if you are curious about the history.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the base story of the BlizzNorth version was pretty much the same as what we got in Diablo 3..
    The original D3 was going an MMO route, and when asked about the High Heavens seen in the 2005 version Max Schaefer (who left in 2003) said, "That’s not what we were making at the time."

There are elements in that 2005 version that seem to be in the one we have now, such as the High Heavens, Bastion's Keep, and Azmodan.

The Collector's Edition DVD makes it sound like they had 'round table' discussion for story elements. Possibly because they decided that 20 years should have passed instead of following up directly from LoD. Metzen was involved, but it sounds like it was a group effort.

The whole idea of Leah was just 'some cool girl with a bow you meet in the woods' and then developed into the daughter of the Wanderer.

When someone said 'what if Diablo was a woman?' several people stormed out of the room in anger.

And how do you know all this?...

If he is the only person behind the story than he fell really far from good standards, at least in my opinion. But I found this http://www.allgame.c...602&tab=credits Chris is responsible for Story concept but there is another team for Story and Dialog. And because of so many retconned stuff and actually very different style of plot execution, my guess is that Chris just made this idea of a Diablo game, but whole plot was developed by this team. And in Diablo 3 this team changed.

Ill never understand how people are able to praise D2 story so much... I mean come on, what story is there? You probably mean the presentation that felt off, but the story in D3 is a LOT better in terms of how logical and thought out it is.

Like what do you do in D2? you walk around, you find a boss and you kill it. Thats it, that's the story. Your character doesnt do anything at all, the bosses and prime evils have NO character at all if you remove the cut-scenes. Literally, all they do is attack you, that is it, that is their description on the wikipedia of D2. "Mephisto is a prime evil, he attacks you in act 3 ending" (sorry for the spoiler). Same thing goes for the other bosses. And what do we get at the end? All of a sudden there is a huge stone, nobody knows when or why or what it is but it is corrupted and has to be destroyed (lawl, that isnt cheesy at all is it?).

I think the reason why people admire the story of D2 is because they were so much younger and still had a little bit of imagination. But that wouldnt work nowadays. You can't release a game in 2012 that lets you walk around doing nothing but killing things and simply put an evil bad guy that laughs at you at the end of the road.

If he is the only person behind the story than he fell really far from good standards, at least in my opinion. But I found this http://www.allgame.c...602&tab=credits Chris is responsible for Story concept but there is another team for Story and Dialog. And because of so many retconned stuff and actually very different style of plot execution, my guess is that Chris just made this idea of a Diablo game, but whole plot was developed by this team. And in Diablo 3 this team changed.

Ill never understand how people are able to praise D2 story so much... I mean come on, what story is there? You probably mean the presentation that felt off, but the story in D3 is a LOT better in terms of how logical and thought out it is.

Like what do you do in D2? you walk around, you find a boss and you kill it. Thats it, that's the story. Your character doesnt do anything at all, the bosses and prime evils have NO character at all if you remove the cut-scenes. Literally, all they do is attack you, that is it, that is their description on the wikipedia of D2. "Mephisto is a prime evil, he attacks you in act 3 ending" (sorry for the spoiler). Same thing goes for the other bosses. And what do we get at the end? All of a sudden there is a huge stone, nobody knows when or why or what it is but it is corrupted and has to be destroyed (lawl, that isnt cheesy at all is it?).

I think the reason why people admire the story of D2 is because they were so much younger and still had a little bit of imagination. But that wouldnt work nowadays. You can't release a game in 2012 that lets you walk around doing nothing but killing things and simply put an evil bad guy that laughs at you at the end of the road.

That's a complete misinterpretation of the story. Sorry, but you completely missed the ball here. D2 had a well rounded story that fully immersed the player whgo wanted it but didn't affect the player who wanted to bash shit with their hammers. D1 though was very basic, Demon shows up corrupts some priests you come to town to slay the demon travel through a church a crypt a dungeon a cave and hell kill him and embedd the soulstone in your head to hopefully seal the demon away for ever.

Diablo 2 though fleshed out that story immensly. The soulstones were explained as basically prisons to hold the evils in. There's one for each of the three prime evils all made by the Horadrim a secret group of mages tasked with keeping the evils locked away and away from sanctuary and created by the Archangel of Justice Tyrael. You as a hero come to the Rogue encampment following the events of D1 looking to purge the place of evil as demons have been sprouting up again. You go through the act to find the influence of Andariel and purge her from the place. you then travel to Lut Gholein where the evil has spread too, follow the evil and purge Duriel from Lut Gholein, then travel to Kurast to find Mephisto has corrupted Kurast so you purge Meph from Kurast only to find that he opened a portal to hell to let the Dark Wanderer through, whom you think to be evil incarnate. Upon going through the portal you find Diablo is there and has returned by taking over Adrian, the dark wanderer/Diablo 1 warriors body. Kill big D and destroy their soulstones to send them back to the abyss, then in LoD which happens immediately after A4 you go to Mount arreat to kill Baal who has corrupted the worldstone, there tyrael destroys it. So you see if you look deep enough into it there is a massive amoutn of lore. Reading the Book of Cain and the Sin War Trilogy is a huge pile of info on the Diablo Lore. Diablo 3 again has the same principal you follow evil around and purge it but the reasoning behind why is slightly more fleshed out, some topics were confirmed others retconned, some things added to better clarify just who people are, such as Adrian being the D1 warrior.

Back OT, Metzen has final say on story details and I'm pretty sure always has as he's like the head of Lore. The Blizzard north team probably had a team of storyboard people there just to give a reason for everything happening. In Diablo 3 though they probably made it a point to have a well thought out story as compared to D1 and D2 and one that connected all the ideas from the previous games. Since those games didn't exactly have the best of stories, nor did they have perfectly planned stories some shit got messed up and retconned so I expect the expansion to be a much better story.
    Not even Death will save you from Diablo Bunny's Cuteness!

I think it's more about how the story was told in Diablo 2. That sort of narration was very unique in gaming back then.

D3 has a very very straightforward story-telling. There are no cryptic sentences, there is no mistery to it about what's going on. To me, that was the number one factor that made D3's story feel "meh" to some people.

How it was told, from what perspective. Not what happened (although some stuff is quite silly, like the Demon Lord's behaviour and Cain's death).
    I agree with Zero. It's how the story was told that made D3's story look weak.

The most irksome part was the constant gibbering made by the evils. I'd rather settle for Baal laughing and tossing spells at me than Azmodan and Diablo telling me their plans although I think Diablo was trying to psych as out with "terror" which he seems terribly bad at.
    sto lavorando
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes