Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 story

I played only Diablo 2. Now i'm going to buy Diablo 3, because it finally gets cheaper :P Is Diablo 3 story very similar to Diablo 2?
    I think in Diablo 2, if you wanted to get a good picture of the whole story you had to read the books or from Diablowiki. Diablo 3 is similar in that way, that if you want a good picture of the whole story you need to read all the lore books that drops in game and listen all the optional conversations.

Welcome to the Diablo 3. I have played for 6 months and I still really enjoy the game. I hope you will too.
    GL and HF! :)
    They are both crap cheap stories, with bad voice actors. this game is not for story.
    There is a lot of opinions that Diablo 3 is worst that Diablo 2. That's why i'm wondering whether to buy it or not. I don't want to loose €30.
    I played Diablo 2 for years but I still think Diablo 3 is way better. Diablo 3 is the 3rd most played RPG game even though it has been over 6 months in the market. So I'd say it is doing quite darn well.
    Maybe it was just my young mind filling in the blanks, but the Diablo 2 plot seemed much more rich and complete. Honestly, it may just be all the poor voice acting and the script in Diablo 3. The bosses talk, and their lines lend no credence to their supposedly formidable presence or increase my dread of the inevitable encounter. It also doesn't help that Blizzard interjected terrible puns, references to pop culture, or just plain terrible jokes at any chance they could. Diablo 2 seems to at least respect the canon of the tale while in Diablo 3 Blizzard spares no opportunity to break the fourth wall, and I always imagine Peter Griffin wrote the story.
    I don't want to advertise any website but do you know this store http://www.go2arena.com/diablo.html . I found there Diablo 3 and it has good price. I'm wonder if it isn't "too" good (if you know what i'm thinking ;)
    Diablo 2 sucks in my opinion i hated that game. Diablo 3 is waaaaaaaaaaay better u should definetitly buy it. Unless you don't have much time to spend. gl bro.
    Quote from she_wolf

I played only Diablo 2. Now i'm going to buy Diablo 3, because it finally gets cheaper :P Is Diablo 3 story very similar to Diablo 2?
    buckle up for a disappointment.
    "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." Shigeru Miyamoto-nintendo boss

"I think it's hilarious because gamers won't be getting watered down anything.
    This is flat out Diablo 3." -Anonymous discussing the console version
    Quote from patricio

Diablo 2 sucks in my opinion i hated that game. Diablo 3 is waaaaaaaaaaay better u should definetitly buy it. Unless you don't have much time to spend. gl bro.

That just proves how much the developers failed on Diablo 3 to create a successor of Diablo 2. They should have created a game which people who always liked the genre want to play and not for those who disliked Diablo until they released that pile of garbage.

Quote from Bearbarian

Maybe it was just my young mind filling in the blanks, but the Diablo 2 plot seemed much more rich and complete. Honestly, it may just be all the poor voice acting and the script in Diablo 3. The bosses talk, and their lines lend no credence to their supposedly formidable presence or increase my dread of the inevitable encounter. It also doesn't help that Blizzard interjected terrible puns, references to pop culture, or just plain terrible jokes at any chance they could. Diablo 2 seems to at least respect the canon of the tale while in Diablo 3 Blizzard spares no opportunity to break the fourth wall, and I always imagine Peter Griffin wrote the story.

You are right. Diablo 2 didn't have a complex or twisted story at all. It was really simple and good at that because more story would have distracted from the gameplay. In Diablo 3 they tried to create a plot for a pretty concluded story and force the player to go through all of this.
    Quote from patricio

lol
    Quote from maka

Quote from patricio

lol

I think this is important in a way that proves D2 and D3 are not the same kind of game.
    Maybe if Patricio could elaborate we would "know" what he likes more and where is the precise difference in his eyes (HIS being very important).
    I know that what I like in D3 is the precision of the gameplay, the feeling of responsiveness behing the actions compared to the frame rate "issues" in D2. The rest is lame and sucks ;)
    I bought this game at this store and i don't regret it ;) I think Diablo 3 rocks! :D
    Quote from Wakka9000

They are both crap cheap stories, with bad voice actors. this game is not for story.

This. I've always wondered where people get the idea that Blizzard ever wrote great stories. They're always somewhat cheesy typical video game stories. It's just that recently (starting with Warcraft 3) they finally had the technology to fill in the story. And it's not great.

Quote from she_wolf

There is a lot of opinions that Diablo 3 is worst that Diablo 2. That's why i'm wondering whether to buy it or not. I don't want to loose €30.

You seem to have already bought it, but my advice to anyone who's thinking about it is A) I'm pretty sure you can get trials (if not from B.Net directly, I know anyone who bought the game can hand at least a few out), and B) Unless you REALLY loved the stat management and the making a weak character earlier so you didn't waste skill points for later, and C) don't put any stock in the metacritic/amazon ratings, it's most weighted down by butthurt whiners (look, if you honestly think think this game is anything worse than "mediocre" then you have no idea what a terrible game really is. Didn't stop a bunch of people from claiming it was a 0/10 though).

Quote from Bearbarian

Personally, I think people like the D2 story so much more because of rose tinted glasses, and because we had to fill in so much more than D3. I mean, basically every boss/mini-boss is basically a giant space flea from nowhere. I mean, which bosses got anything more than a through away line? Let's see, maybe Blood Raven (mostly just in retrospect when they retconned her to be the Rogue from D1), maybe the countess (she at least got a tome, although not much more), Mephisto, Izual, Diablo, Nethilak, and Baal. Andarial basically got a "she took over the convent and killed everyone," Durial gets a "oh yeah, he was a lesser evil" (only after we kill him), the bosses of the various cube/staff quest get nothing, that one mummy in the sewers got a "he's killing people, go kill him," The summoner got a little.

But anyway, I personally think the only seriously big issue with the story in D3 is that villians talk to much. Of course, I didn't exactly expect Asimov or anything. Sure there are other issues, but if they didn't talk so much they wouldn't be so obvious.
    D2 didn't really have a story. The wanderer who holds Diablo's soulstone is heading places and freeing his brothers and stuff. Go fight them. D3's story isn't that great but it does push a little bit more into the lore behind nephalem, demons, and angels.

D1 and D2 were cool in terms of concept rather than story. In D1 it is the whole dynamic of plunging farther and farther into a dungeon until it becomes Hell itself. In D2 it is about trying to trail and stop Diablo but always being just a step behind.
    welcome to d3

Quote from Efrye

Quote from patricio

That just proves how much the developers failed on Diablo 3 to create a successor of Diablo 2. They should have created a game which people who always liked the genre want to play and not for those who disliked Diablo until they released that pile of garbage.

This is a good point.

I would still advice anyone to buy D3 though, it's easily worth its cost. It doesn't (yet?) meet the expectations (better: dreams) of people like me who played D2 in its prime, but that's ok, I guess. Back then, everything was new and amazing ;)

About the story: I still dislike some of the plot decisions in D3. Don't want to spoil in this thread though.
    Please remove the orange color from my user name!

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sol77-2972/hero/1407288
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes