Cains Death wasn't epic enough.

The title says it all, for a character such as Deckard Cain, you'd think they'd have put some emotion into his death. It just didn't make me go "nooooo cain!!'.
    If you want to watch it again without going into the game:
    It just seems strange and bland in the way they did it. Like they just tossed his death aside. With a company like blizzard, with the work they've done in the past, they're known worldwide for their amazing cinematics and all they do for Cain is some silly in-game cut-scene? I'm no game developer and I'm not going to tell them how to do their job, but as one of their consumers, not happy Jan!
    Now I know that some of us don't like comparing two completely different games so I'm not going to do that! If we look at such games as Gears of War 3 and look at how Dominic Santiago died whether you like the game or not I don't care, they made his death really epic, no pun intended.
    This is the clip.
    The games have absolutely nothing in common, I know. But both had one thing in common, they were with you through each of the games. A character like Deckard Cain, someone who's been at our side throughout all three games, you'd think they'd put a little bit more compassion and effort into his death?
    Anyway Deckard Cain's death is the only thing that really got under my skin with Diablo 3.

TL;DR: Deckard Cain's death sucked.

This whole thing is badly worded, but you get what I'm saying.
    Bashiok - Blizzard Representative - 08/01/2011 -"So how many skill combinations are there now? Well taking into account 6 active skills, all the rune combinations, and 3 passives we currently expect each class to have roughly 2,285,814,795,264 different build combinations."

"Hey, I thought you'd like the witty irony of grub-on-glowie violence!"
    You're right, but it's a bit late to fix it
    Just wait till we fight Uber Cain in the expansion - 'You are not prepared, stay a while and be flayed'.
    Well it's not as epic as bio shock either and that was a shooter. The ending was way more epic than Cain's death. Overall, I love diablo 3, but they definitely could have made his death much more memorable.
    It's even less epic for me now...

* Enters Cain's house
    * Presses Esc
    * Is now outside the late Cain's house.
    This event deserves an "end of act" movie cinematic, blizzard should patch this, but defiantly too late now :(
    Quote from DokFaust

Just wait till we fight Uber Cain in the expansion - 'You are not prepared, stay a while and be flayed'.

'You are not prepared, stay a while IN THE FIRE!'
    Who knows maybe they did that way on purpose, it not like blizzard to just give a main char a shitty ending like that, i have a strong feeling he going to be in the expansion somehow.
    The storytelling sucks period. Nothing left to the imagination of the player and every single line in the game is cheesy as hell.
    Idd he needed a more "epic" death!
    But the feeling that he will come back somehow , lives in me! We shall find out!
    > tells that he does not want to tell them how to do their job
    > reminds of blizzards epic cinematics and critizes this cutscene

> tells that he is not going to compare with other titles
    > posts vid of GoW3 and D3 and how epic doms death was

> tells games have "absolutely nothing" in common
    > both had "one thing" in common

> tells "no pun intended"
    > "TL;DR: Deckard Cain's death sucked."

> mfw

Bandyto#2350
    EU
    Its not too shabby considering its an action rpg hack and slash game.
    I agree with op. It's not necessarily that the death was lackluster in itself. It's that it was given a friggin in game cut-scene while we get an epic cinematic of Leah trying to figure out what the black soulstone is.

Off-topic: How excellent was the end of Act 1 cinematic with Tyrael?
    thank you bandyto, i was thinking the same thing when i was reading xD
    I"ve blasted people complaining about this game before, but I do wonder how they kind of missed the mark on how epic they could have made this. I'm in hell now so I have seen the story, and I gotta say I wasn't all that impressed with it. To be fair however, there were spoilers out that kind of ruined everything even though I didn't open them (titel was enough). I think it's the fact that we all waited 10 or so years for this game and we wanted something that drops your jaw. Blizzard has the capability, but i'm not sure what their aim was.

I do hope an expansion comes soon and really picks the story up a bit... there's no reason this game cannot be epic with an expansion. Additionally, I would like to know for those who played D2 was there a lot of content added from the LOD expansion from the original?
    Quote from Bandyto

> mfw
    indeed, I am an idiot. oh well
    Bashiok - Blizzard Representative - 08/01/2011 -"So how many skill combinations are there now? Well taking into account 6 active skills, all the rune combinations, and 3 passives we currently expect each class to have roughly 2,285,814,795,264 different build combinations."

"Hey, I thought you'd like the witty irony of grub-on-glowie violence!"
    He went out like a biotch... the dude survives Tyreal crashing through the cathedral and died like that... I agree it sucked
    Quote from Ducha

Quote from Bandyto

> mfw
    indeed, I am an idiot. oh well

But I share the same opinion. Would have prefered an amazing cinematic. Probably something like Kerrigans death as it was shown rertrospectively in SC2 or at least something more epic like the final cutscene after killing Arthas in ICC. ;)
    Bandyto#2350
    EU
    Quote from Gallows

The storytelling sucks period. Nothing left to the imagination of the player and every single line in the game is cheesy as hell.

x2
    "In time the hissing of her sanity
    Faded out her voice and soiled her name
    And like marked pages in a diary
    Everything seemed clean that is unstained
    The incoherent talk of ordinary days
    Why would we really need to live?
    Decide what is clear and what's within a haze
    What you should take and what to give" - Opeth
    If we're talking about epic death cinematics, Grom Hellscream's death from Warcraft III was pretty cool.

I do agree that Cain's death was really lackluster. None of the Diablo III cinematics really wowed me.

I still think the Act V ending cinematic from DII was the coolest in the whole series. Badass Tyrael, epic music, explosions, etc.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes