Φ Imperius - The true threat to Sanctuary?

Quote from "Diablo-Fiend" »
    I thought this at first but after checking, it is actually correct. An upturned sword is one which has its hilt facing toward the sky and blade to the ground. Basically means upside down - sort of tricky.

Hmm...that is very interesting...I was in the process just now of looking that up too!

Our theory is saved! lol :D
    Quote from "Archanum" »
    Hmm...that is very interesting...I was in the process just now of looking that up too!

Our theory is saved! lol :D

I'd just like to add something about the cross relating to Christianity. We already saw shields and some pieces of armour showing this cross in the previous games. I saw an image posted by Veltras just now (check here) which adds to this. It's a Paladin wearing this too and their lore is;

The Knights of Westmarch who felled the armies of mighty Leoric are pure at heart and closely follow the teachings of Zakarum, the Religion of the Light.

... and as we know, the Angels are the beings which spawned this religion so you can't just rule it out (Check here for a bit more information too).

We know that people of a religious nature take on a symbol resembling their Gods (think Christianity and the Holy Cross or the Islamic Star and Crescent) and as the Zarakum was conceived by Archangel Yaerius the 'cross' found on the chest and the armour/shields could very well be one in the same (I don't know much of this Archangel though) and he's not part of the Angiris Council so... I'd put it down to a possible three Archangels; Imperius, Tyrael or Yaerius.

I'm just throwing wood onto the fire and seeing how high it can go. :P

Currently reading the The Sin War (Scales of the Serpent, bk2).
    Make sure to 'Vote this post up' for fellow contributors that make good discussion!
    And don't forget to stay a while - and listen!
    The whole Council to appear would just be amazing :)
    I spotted that, but I figured it was a cross, not a sword.
    Quote from "Aussensaiter" »
    The whole Council to appear would just be amazing :)

Well the Archangel Yaerius is not part of the Council which Tyrael and Imperius are in. It's believed (among fans) that Yaerius is an 'evil' or 'corrupted' Angel because his introduction of the Zakarum religion lead to a lot of fanatical slaughterings and murders which would put it in the category of bad rather than good.

Make sure to 'Vote this post up' for fellow contributors that make good discussion!
    OT: I just wanted to say that nothing makes me cringe more than Rich Knaak's awful rhetoric.

"...declared a majestic angel with robes of royal red and a shining breastplate upon which the image of an upturned sword blazed..."

"Yuck," declared a disgusted reader, "why doesn't mighty Blizzard spend some of their massive amounts of emerald green money to hire an author who doesn't write like a dysfunctional high-school student?"
    And the riot be the rhyme of the unheard...
    which would put it in the category of bad rather than good.

Yeah, but I think it is wrong to say Angels = good while demons = evil. Ever seen Babylon 5? Similar story with the Shadows and the Vorlons.

The Angels represent Order and think that the universe requires it to survive and grow. The demons represent Chaos and believe that the universe should evolve naturally in a survival of the fittest scenario. Neither side is beyond subterfuge and coercion to progress its goals.
    The sanctity of this place has been fouled.
    Well the Archangel Yaerius is not part of the Council which Tyrael and Imperius are in. It's believed (among fans) that Yaerius is an 'evil' or 'corrupted' Angel because his introduction of the Zakarum religion lead to a lot of fanatical slaughterings and murders which would put it in the category of bad rather than good.

It's quite possible that Yaerius is not an Angel at all, first we've never heard of him and though the fact that he is an Archangel he doesn't even belong to the Angiris Council. Why would an Archangel want to start a religion and then disapear? This is quite suspicious.

Moreover it wouldn't be the first time that a demon appears as an Angel to a human, remember Kingdom of Shadows? Or even Marius and Baal?

As for the Cross, I think it might be a symbol of power and focus. Notice the node on the skill icon of Holy Shield. It's like the cross just symbolized the point where powers unite or something.

Quote from "Ralsu" »
    Yeah, but I think it is wrong to say Angels = good while demons = evil. Ever seen Babylon 5? Similar story with the Shadows and the Vorlons.

The Angels represent Order and think that the universe requires it to survive and grow. The demons represent Chaos and believe that the universe should evolve naturally in a survival of the fittest scenario. Neither side is beyond subterfuge and coercion to progress its goals.

Ok well then put it another way.

The actions performed by the followers of the Zakarum could be seen as a religious cult which was always maintaining an aura of suspicion to anyone not in their order possibly being corrupted by the essence of the Hells, so they murdered them regardless on whether they were or not.

This can be seen as immoral and inhumane. I can see where it would fit in as being an 'Order' in which anyone who is seen as being corrupted is slaughtered to maintain the balance (sort of like Witchcraft in Medievil England) but it really does border on the lines of Chaos too.

Quote from "Ralsu" »

Evil vs good has always been confused and compared with Order vs Chaos.

I'm gonna order the books after i've finished ALL of the warcraft novels so i can be a bigger part of this discussion.

But from what i've read so far i think i need to agree with the theory so far. I'm still playing with the idea though that heaven, or some part or being from it will be siding with hell to get rid of sanctuary, kind of like a temporary truce.

Another idea im playing with though is that we will actually side with hell because heaven is to powerfull (i highly doubt this, but it's a fun idea nonetheless to me^^)
    Quote from "Veltras" »
    It's quite possible that Yaerius is not an Angel at all, first we've never heard of him and though the fact that he is an Archangel he doesn't even belong to the Angiris Council. Why would an Archangel want to start a religion and then disapear? This is quite suspicious.

Moreover it wouldn't be the first time that a demon appears as an Angel to a human, remember Kingdom of Shadows? Or even Marius and Baal?

As for the Cross, I think it might be a symbol of power and focus. Notice the node on the skill icon of Holy Shield. It's like the cross just symbolized the point where powers unite or something.

This does sound quite interesting. I don't think an Archangel (one of the most powerful beings in the Diablo universe) would just be mentioned in a book and not have a lot of lore to go along with it. There has to be more coming from this Angel.

The whole "wolf in sheeps clothing" is also a good idea. It does sound quite plausible that this happened, and it ties in with the lack of knowledge of Yaerius and the direction the Zakarum religion took with the fanatisism.

The cross also seems to have an 'orb' in the exact same place as on the chest (heart area, the centre of the body, I'm thinking heart = orb) of the Angel with the symbol on as well. Interesting.

Well if you compare the High Heavens and the Burning Hells, there is no such thing as Good versus Evil. Both want to conquer the Sanctuary, both want to wage war upon each other, both pay no heed to whoever gets in their way AKA mankind
    Ok, getting slightly off topic here guys...

Anyway I don't really get your idea of an orb in the place of the cross... all I can see is the cross and the armor outline.
    Now I want to take us to another point. Given it is one of the Archangels, specifically Imperius, where would he be at this point? It really seems like a temple or a castle if you look at the surroundings, so could we suppose it happened at the Cathedral? Maybe it was Imperius who came in that comet and he has encountered Tyrael in the Cathedral soon after. I say this but I'm not sure of it yet. I wonder still what happened to Tyrael after the destruction of the Worldstone (which I can't wait to see remade in one of the cinematics).
    Quote from "Angellium" »

Anyway I don't really get your idea of an orb in the place of the cross... all I can see is the cross and the armor outline.
    Now I want to take us to another point. Given it is one of the Archangels, specifically Imperius, where would he be at this point? It really seems like a temple or a castle if you look at the surroundings, so could we suppose it happened at the Cathedral? Maybe it was Imperius who came in that comet and he has encountered Tyrael in the Cathedral soon after. I say this but I'm not sure of it yet. I wonder still what happened to Tyrael after the destruction of the Worldstone (which I can't wait to see remade in one of the cinematics).

Sorry, I was indicating towards the Paladin skill seen on the bottom right next to the mana sphere.

As for your point. The surroundings do look like the inside of a Cathedral. It does not look like a Castle or a Temple. I base this on the Gothic architecture we've come to see in the Diablo universe and this form of building style was dominant in the 12th to 16th century in Medievil Europe, particularly in Cathedrals, Abbeys and Churches (check here for some info). It's easy to compare the architecture to the one shown in this image and the Angels in both images do look the same (notice the tabard (?), shoulder plates but the lack of a 'sword/cross') which reinforced an earlier idea of the light emerging from the heart rather than a robe with a sword on.

P.S. I'm just using the image sparingly as it's believed to be Tyrael but we're not so sure on who any of these Angels are yet?

Quote from "Angellium" »

I'd say that picture is from somewhere in "Heaven". As both angels are there and I believe the meteor is one of them coming down from heaven.

Great input everyone I'm glad some people seem to agree with this.
    Quote from "Daemaro" »
    I'd say that picture is from somewhere in "Heaven". As both angels are there and I believe the meteor is one of them coming down from heaven.

Great input everyone I'm glad some people seem to agree with this.

"Heaven" is not on the same plain of existance as sanctuary, why would you automatically assume that the meteor is coming down from "Heaven"?
    Quote from "Sight" »
    "Heaven" is not on the same plain of existance as sanctuary, why would you automatically assume that the meteor is coming down from "Heaven"?

Why would you automatically assume the meteor is not? We're talking about angelic beings with the power to traverse dimensions. Could they not cast one another out of dimensions as well possibly?
    Quote from "Daemaro" »
    Why would you automatically assume the meteor is not? We're talking about angelic beings with the power to traverse dimensions. Could they not cast one another out of dimensions as well possibly?

Even so, why would they come as a meteor then? Or in case of banished, would they be hindered so much to be unable to undo this? (wich seems extremely unlikely because that would mean the impact would surely be its death) i really dont believe the whole "the meteor is an angel"thing.
    That is not the same person from the front page of the diablo site the pic linked below IS the guy on the front page note the two large circular clips (or wtv). And that guy has something that looks like a hilt just below his collar, probably nothing though.

link: http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/artwork/ss48-hires.jpg
    Quote from "Soladrin" »
    Even so, why would they come as a meteor then? Or in case of banished, would they be hindered so much to be unable to undo this? (wich seems extremely unlikely because that would mean the impact would surely be its death) i really dont believe the whole "the meteor is an angel"thing.

Well to many people the meteor looks like it has angelic light tendrils in it. It could be out imaginations but when you pair them up with an angel engulfed in light and an angel with slight fiery residue on it's wings, it kind of makes sense.

If the whole council orders Tyrael cast out of Heaven, I doubt he's going to want to come back and get knocked around by them all.

It's all just speculation but I think it's a decent theory.

Quote from santaclaws490 »
    That is not the same person from the front page of the diablo site this is. And that guy has something that looks like a hilt just below his collar, probably nothing though.

link: http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/_ima...ss48-hires.jpg

I think THAT one is Tyrael. It at the least seems to be a different angel.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes