New take on diablo PVP element

Hi Guys!

I haven't posted for a while and thought maybe i could share an idea with you. Some may hate this concept but i thought it was kind of cool.

The PVP in diablo is sort of boring at this time, with no reward and the mechanics not optimised it feels (for me anyway) that it has fallen into the background of tasks to do while roaming sanctuary.

My proposal (not that the devs will see) is to take the idea of dark souls and place it into the world of D3 whereby we would have "leagues" (like path of exile for example) that contain different things to keep play styles fresh and exhilarating. We could have an "Invasion" league where players would speak to an NPC in town and it would transport you to a random game (invasion league games are always open) and you try and kill the host for mega rewards, and if the host kills you THEY would get mega rewards (so each party benefits). these could be league only legendaries, lots of gold (the entirety of their gold held maybe?) lots of xp or maybe materials for a different event much like the infernal machine. Imagine this concept in HC, your gameplay would be fueled by adrenaline as you would never know when the invader will strike!

Im not sure what you make of this but please drop me some feedback regardless.

Cheers guys, happy monster slaying!
    Concept is nice , but doesn't work with Diablo.
    First the game is totally imbalanced when it comes to classes and with legendaries it is much worse , somebody could one shot you in a second ,and you wouldn't have a chance to fight back , this game is heavy on gear not on skill , that's why it works for Dark Souls and not for Diablo.

Like others before me said , the only way this game could have pvp is by having pvpve , sort of like a Tetris where you go in a dungeon each team and the faster you kill the more mobs you dump on the other team and overwhelm them or drop traps , pick up power ups that you can use to try and wipe the other team or slow them down , you can track them on your map/minimap or see them as ghosts in your game and loot is given at the end with the team getting there first gets the bigger reward and the other team gets a smaller reward.
    Special pvp items with for example high stamina (vitality) and damage reduction like in World of Warcraft could be nice (and other useful mods like tenacity from league of legends: reduces the duration of disables stuns and other stuff)
    Lets say you would be granted for example starting set, let's call it S0 at lvl 70.
    And then you could play arenas for rating and arena points, so that you would be able to purchase let's say next lvl tier S1 for arena points no rating and S2 arena points + rating.
    Note that it would require devs to make arena ladders, set items that i've mentioned and few arenas.
    /edit: Note that in World of Warcraft alchemy, some engi stuff was disabled during arenas, so why blizzard couldn't disable some unbalanced skills or even just nerf them and try to adjust to other classes.
    I am sure that some classes would be obviously better than the other ones but come on, every game has its own op shit class, champion, item or whatever

To sum it up:

• Disable all current items and introduce pvp only items/sets
    • At this point blizzard employees would have to deal only with balancing skills so it makes not so much work comparing to balancing like 200 legendary items. (you will probably say: omfg it's not so easy blablabla... YES it is not so easy for a brand new gaming company, but come on it's Blizzard, they earn so much money i am competely sure that they could employ 50 extra workers only for lets say 2 month period in order to prepare good pvp and then keep current workers only to maintain this.
    • Copy world of warcraft arena rating and que system etc.
    • Make some arenas

2nd approach:

Players could agree to use only blue or rare items without legendaries.
    Last edited by Lomax88: 7/6/2014 7:01:18 AM
    Quote from numberwang
    Hi Guys!
    I haven't posted for a while and thought maybe i could share an idea with you. Some may hate this concept but i thought it was kind of cool.
    The PVP in diablo is sort of boring at this time, with no reward and the mechanics not optimised it feels (for me anyway) that it has fallen into the background of tasks to do while roaming sanctuary.
    My proposal (not that the devs will see) is to take the idea of dark souls and place it into the world of D3 whereby we would have "leagues" (like path of exile for example) that contain different things to keep play styles fresh and exhilarating. We could have an "Invasion" league where players would speak to an NPC in town and it would transport you to a random game (invasion league games are always open) and you try and kill the host for mega rewards, and if the host kills you THEY would get mega rewards (so each party benefits). these could be league only legendaries, lots of gold (the entirety of their gold held maybe?) lots of xp or maybe materials for a different event much like the infernal machine. Imagine this concept in HC, your gameplay would be fueled by adrenaline as you would never know when the invader will strike!
    Im not sure what you make of this but please drop me some feedback regardless.
    Cheers guys, happy monster slaying!

I've had a similar idea a while ago and i wrote it in the format of official patch notes:http://www.diablofans.com/forums/diablo-iii-general-forums/diablo-iii-general-discussion/31665-fan-made-patch-1-0-10-notes

I think it's pretty cool.
    Reasons why ppl hate pvp in D3 :

+ Fear of being ganked , it happened , i was one of the victim so i know the feeling .

+ No balance between classes .

+ Currently there is no reward in brawling .

However , we can work around , i say the battle of Bul-kathos in which he defends mount Arret against other nephalems is a good material for PVP , kinda like those capture the flags game , we can have easy difficulty which increase the HP of all player by 1000% , no one-shotting , and of course , hard difficulty which is your current set up , not only we must fight other players , we also have to fight ghostly nephalem NPCs which also drop item

Another idea is king of the hill style , players fight each other , kill the enemy to earn point and the team finish 100 point will win , but monsters will spawn in the arena , white , elite , bosses , goblin , you call it , killing them earn a larger point than killing player but you have to watch out for other players who will try to kill you and delay your team progress .
    PVP can never realistically work in D3 as it did in D1 (zomg golem fights were so great, and ear farming ofc). D1 had entirely balanced skills, in that all classes drew from exactly the same skill pool, but could use books to improve each spells power. D3 is very different to this, there is no current ability to further improve a preferred skill, which in turn leads players to seek out only those builds which are deemed the most powerful (zuni + jeram, or jade + quetza WD, mara 6 DH, or any crusader build focused on a flail leg effect). The root cause of imbalance is NOT legendary effects (this will change with legendary gems, which are all severely overpowered, to the extent that 1 leg gem > the rest of your items combined - I'm looking at you smite gem/conduit gem).

In order for PVP to become a realistic possibility, numerous drastic changes are required, they are explained below.

Class balancing: A WDs relative power must be comparable to a monk's relative power, and the same must be true also for the crusader, wizard, demon hunter and barbarian. There would be no reason to fight a WD using a monk at this point in time due to severe differences in power.

Element balancing: Each element within a given class's repertoire of skills must be aligned with a particular play-style, allowing comparable synergy, and enabling build and play-style diversity. Basically, 1 element may serve as a support role, one as a tank role, one as pure dps, etc. These builds would all need to have comparable power (this would promote group pvp). An additional suggestion could be to rework +% ele dmg, as this stat heavily restricts all classes and builds (essentially forces all skill runes to be of the same type unless they are pure utility skills), this stat would work fine if skill rune elements were aligned to begin with.

PVP damage balancing: A shield bar could be added (is used in many pvp focused games), this shield is only used within pvp combat, and once depleted, pvp attacks would reduce a player's hp. This would help to draw out battles, so that you are not simply 1-shotted. PVP should be more drawn out, allowing for a short burst DPS build to be played off against a high armor sustain build, a DoT build, or builds which require multiple summons/recast on semi-lengthy cooldowns (mara 6 for all sentries up). This would ideally allow enough time for any given class and build to prepare its best case scenario (unleashing 1 builds full potential against another class, which is doing the same). It is quite likely that dmg mitigation would also need to be factored into PVP balancing as buffing player HP substantially to compensate would ruin PVE.

Additional suggestions: PVP sets which provide PVP focused stats and effects, attainable through PVP combat (win = x tokens, loss = y tokens, item roll costs z tokens - similar to kad gamble). I would also second a mixed pvp/pve scenario, as suggested by kempfer91, this may appeal to pve focused players as well, and may serve to bring the community closer (more people doing the same thing).

TL:DR

D3 does not currently provide worthwhile PVP. There is no current focus upon changing PVP directly (although skills are being changed, and elements being added/modified - this is a step in the right direction). If/when devs decide to change PVP, it would be a lengthy process, and would be akin to starting over (it should be noted that this would be a costly change, more man hours = less profits, which is always a concern for any business). I wouldn't hold my breath, but I would really like to see my hard-earned lootz go to good use (pwning other heroes for glory, honor, and more lootz).
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes