Diablo 3 an eSports?

How many people want Diablo to be an eSports? I know I would, it would give Diablo pvp a whole new meaning. I think it would work great and get better the more blizzard works with it. You can compare it to wow pvp (I'd rather not lol) Diablo has Line of Sight, Cool-downs, Crowd Controls, Buffs, different builds for variety and does take teamwork and skill to win. Diablo 3 has already become way more complex than click-to-smash like in Diablo 2 (don't get me wrong I love Diablo 2). They could incorporate multiple pvp version like TDM, LMS, CTF or whatever the players want.

I was lucky enough to go to last years Blizzcon and exsperiance the Diablo 3 pvp multiple times. All the classes were very balanced there was no annoying healer like in wow and it was a whole lot more fun than wow. They could also incorporate an arena system and have the finals at Blizzcon every year. Sense they don't do Warcraft tournaments there is a spot open. If started early the eSports would last a long time since there is going to be 2 or 3 exspansions with the game.

I know the said they wouldn't do it but they also said that if there was enough of us who wants Diablo 3 to be an eSport they would do it. So who wants a more competitive pvp?
    I don't know if they said that they will turn Diablo 3 into an Esport if every one supported it. But it would be cool to have it.
    Check out my Diablo 3 videos! --> http://www.youtube.com/Gr1mTV
    I dont think it will be a great idea. Sure, there will be trys and blizzard will sure do everything to get it into the esport community, but - like wow - i dont think diablo 3 should be played competitive...
    Quote from X_Gr1m_X

I don't know if they said that they will turn Diablo 3 into an Esport if every one supported it. But it would be cool to have it.

The opposite. They will never balance it for eSports.
    To be fairly honest i don't think Diablo III is oriented around the PvP all that much, the others weren't either.
    But even then, they can do something alike they do with WoW arena ( even tho i hate comparing the 2 ).

It all depends on what the community wants, and Blizzard will most likely be able to reflect this on blizzcon or any other big esport event.
    For now we can only speculate about this untill the game is actually out for some time and maybe then we can discuss this further.
    For my personal opinion, i think it would be fun if they held some small events for PvP Diablo III, but i'm not expecting anything big to come out of this with major prize pools and whatnot.
    But yeah i didn't think they would do it with World of Warcraft either at start and see what they did now :)

So i guess there's only one thing i could add to this which would be "Only time will tell".

My 2 cents
    well it would take some serious tweaking to make D3 competitive. the problem is, that D3 is very very item dependant with that in mind there has to be rules to make every player start from the same position. im thinking about a list of items everyone can choose his setup from. this is the only way to make this game competitive.
    From what I hear they're putting far more effort into pvp than previous games in the series though it was never an aspect of Diablo that interested me.

I find the entire concept of an eSport kind of strange. People haven't really ever liked watching someone else play computer games.
    "For the price of one bullet you can eat 4 hotcakes." - Vash the Stampede.
    I think this would be a good idea, I really like the look of the arena PvP in Diablo and I'm sure I heard somewhere that there is two separate groups for spells I.E one for PvP and one for PvE, so balancing PvP won't effect the PvE balance at all.

Like others have said if there is enough demand to make PvP a big thing I think blizzard would.
    Oh really? 4 Specific characters, with specific skills, with specific runes were balanced? Interesting i did not think that was possible. But in all seriousness dont expect an eSport out of diablo, thats just silly. Diablo is meant for fun, i don't want to stress about rating i just want good ol' wack a mole fun.
    Quote from Cyberwaste

I find the entire concept of an eSport kind of strange. People haven't really ever liked watching someone else play computer games.

Ever heard of twitch/own3d there is thousands of people everyday watching people PvP/PvE and Diablo 3 won't be any different

Quote from Ieatroflwafflz

Oh really? 4 Specific characters, with specific skills, with specific runes were balanced? Interesting i did not think that was possible. But in all seriousness dont expect an eSport out of diablo, thats just silly. Diablo is meant for fun, i don't want to stress about rating i just want good ol' wack a mole fun.

I hate the way people put down an idea cause THEY don't want to stress about it. The thing is if your not in to it, there is no need to stress or care about it at all.
    Quote from Clavigoo19

I dont think it will be a great idea. Sure, there will be trys and blizzard will sure do everything to get it into the esport community, but - like wow - i dont think diablo 3 should be played competitive...

I agree with this. I have played both PvE and PvP endgame in Wow and we all know that balancing between these is going to be dificult (impossible?). I will only play Diablo in Pve, and I hope if Pvp will become a big part of D3 that it will not affect Pve. Because just like wow, Diablo3 is foremost a Pve game.
    As long as Blizzard doesn't touch the PvM balancing, I don't care if they turn the game more towards PvP. But honestly I think they have SC2 for the esports market, WoW as a mix between PvE and PvP and Diablo as a (mostly) pure PvE game. You can see that trend with them removing open world PvP in D3 which I personally like, because D2 didn't give you a chance to reject people going hostile to you and killing you.
    Quote from bigamie

As long as Blizzard doesn't touch the PvM balancing, I don't care if they turn the game more towards PvP. But honestly I think they have SC2 for the esports market, WoW as a mix between PvE and PvP and Diablo as a (mostly) pure PvE game. You can see that trend with them removing open world PvP in D3 which I personally like, because D2 didn't give you a chance to reject people going hostile to you and killing you.

I personaly think e-sports for SC2 is not compleet you can't do a bet match in the ingame game system. Its all missing. Back to diablo 3. I think betting for a arena match and winner takes all is fun. If it comes depends they won't belance pvp to much. So can only can say that we want it.

I have heard diffrent signals about such modes and pvp modes. But some of them could by rumors so just wait first before they are done and get new words about pvp out. Then ask the question about betting pvp.
    Im not shure diablo is that kind of competative game, and i dont think a lot of people whould like it, because they whould compare/reffer to WoW pvp. even thou it isnt the same, u can make a lot of lines between the two games.
    Myselfe i whouldnt like that diablo pvp got to the level of "High end competitions". thou i whould like small tournaments wich wasnt that serious.
    And then there is the matter of balance wich whould affect pve a lot too, wich in my perspective whould be really bad, even if its a buff or nerf.
    Quote from CerkieGaming

I hate the way people put down an idea cause THEY don't want to stress about it. The thing is if your not in to it, there is no need to stress or care about it at all.

But i do have to stress about it, what if my brother is not good at PVP? I am not allowed to PVP with him? Because i cant arena with him in WoW enless i want to re-farm all my arena rating to keep my Cap's high enough to be viable and get my new gear ASAP. I do like PVP, but i don't want to have to shun/be shunned by my friends because our skill levels vary, i'd like to just screw around with people i like playing with no matter the skill.
    diablo 3 is not oriented in PVP, i really wanted it to be an Esports, because i love PVP, i build all my chars around PVP, but i think it will never be balanced to be an Esports, sadly :(
    It would take so much time and effort to balance it for PvP that the release would be pushed back to 2013. And the main aspect of the game (PvE/PvM) would suffer from the PvP changes.

Don't get me wrong, i love PvP, but i wouldn't want any changes to my skills because they're not balanced for PvP.
    So many games tries to be "Esports" nowadays, since there is great publicity in it. But Blizzard is Blizzard, they already sell a ton of games without publicity, and they have Starcraft II that they support fulltime, I'm not sure another esports-game is really the right way to go.
    Diablo 3 definitely shouldn't become an esport. The game is popular enough as it is, and if it becomes competitive many less experienced people will leave the game due to harassment from "pro" players and it might give the entire game a less attractive atmosphere. PvE and PvM is more than enough, and if people occasionally wanna play PvP, then they can invite each other to duelling, or the developers could create a portal to a PvP world with Deathmatch on.
    Someone pull me up and correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Blizzard stated that they arn't going to balance the classes around PvP? That statement alone kind of tells me that Blizzard doesn't have much interest in turning Diablo 3 into an E-sport. PvP has its place in most games and it seems in Diablo 3 its going to be more of a "It's in because you guys find it fun, and it can be cool. But it isn't the focus of this game"

As a personal opinion it really doesn't phase me either way if it becomes an "E-sport" or not. I'm still going to happily grind away at inferno as best I can :) (Although I do hope that PvE skills arn't changed for the sake of PvP balance)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes