Blizzard stance on PvP on april 2012, a summary

Quote from Astrand

That must be the reason for thoes "we owned some fools" and "I look forward to play against everybody online" in Developer Diary #5.

Oh yes, because playing against people means that the game's design is highly competitive....Any PvP is against someone else, it doesn't mean it has to be highly competitive and cannot just be playing against someone else for fun. It's like playing soccer with friends and dividing into two teams, you're playing against your friends, but its just for fun.
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

ecutruin +9000
    Quote from ecutruin

Oh yes, because playing against people means that the game's design is highly competitive....Any PvP is against someone else, it doesn't mean it has to be highly competitive and cannot just be playing against someone else for fun. It's like playing soccer with friends and dividing into two teams, you're playing against your friends, but its just for fun.

True, it's for fun, but it's still a competition for the win. And actualy Diablo is all about competition. You compete against AI in PvE and you compete against players in PvP. How "high" that competition is, depends on the each individual player perspective and nothing else. You can't say that diablo is not about competition at all.
    Quote from Astrand

True, it's for fun, but it's still a competition for the win. And actualy Diablo is all about competition. You compete against AI in PvE and you compete against players in PvP. How "high" that competition is, depends on the each individual player perspective and nothing else. You can't say that diablo is not about competition at all.

Yes, by definition, no competition is impossible. When one talks about competitive games though, they mean something different and you know it. Diablo 3 is a co~op game, not a game focusing on competition.
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

ecutruin +9000
    Quote from ecutruin

Yes, by definition, no competition is impossible. When one talks about competitive games though, they mean something different and you know it. Diablo 3 is a co~op game, not a game focusing on competition.

No, I do not know what you mean. How is that different for you? Ladders? This just adds long term competition. Tournaments? Thoes are events with a competition that is longer than single match, most of the time with prizes. Single PvP match, even if against randoms, is a competition where one win, and the other loses. Just because you come into a match and do not care about winning at all, doesn't mean it's not a competition. It means you do not care.
    Long story short, there are 2 types of competition :
    1) play for winning and have fun
    2) play for winning and have fun and be ranked

Blizzard supports 1, not 2
    Quote from Gryzorz

What do you prove from winning ? Nothing. What do you get from winning? Welfare gear that anyone will be able to get, just like world of warcraft. And how much does people like that system? Theres not a single soul that likes that system.

You can be the best player in the world, but none will ever know. So why would you bother playing PVP with a system that doesn't help you prove anything ?
    You get a false sense of accomplishment. It's no more ridiculous than any other reason to bloat your schedule with entertainment ;D

Jokes aside, people who care will know. Don't know why any of this is relates to the title though, while I know how much more fun some drama can be to spice things up xD

Did anyone else besides Astrand and myself pick up a lot more on the dev's tone concerning pvp? I'm not talking about PR like bashiok etc. They are there for mind control and picking up on trends etc. I feel a lot more at ease now after having seen the more recent media.
    The strong must rule if we are to survive.
    Quote from Gurkburk92

Quote from Gryzorz

What do you prove from winning ? Nothing. What do you get from winning? Welfare gear that anyone will be able to get, just like world of warcraft. And how much does people like that system? Theres not a single soul that likes that system.

You can be the best player in the world, but none will ever know. So why would you bother playing PVP with a system that doesn't help you prove anything ?

Fun, you should try it sometimes.
    At the moment we really don't know how the PVP system will turn out, people are freaking out about nothing.
    Quote from Astrand

Quote from ecutruin

It's not a competitive system and shouldn't be. Diablo 3 isn't about ego and who can do it better, it's about grinding monsters and collecting loot for FUN.

That must be the reason for thoes "we owned some fools" and "I look forward to play against everybody online" in Developer Diary #5.

Ye they enjoyed it so? i can imagine the pvp is going to be fun and thats all it will be :P
    This game is going to be great people need to stop whining about the game. They've designed it the way they want and its going to please the vast majority of people.
    I can also see how private games could be a spark to try and turn it into an e-sport but i can imagine if they did introduce custom/private and someone went complaining on the forums about class balance they should just do the whole we dont give a crap the character was designed that way for PvM not PVP simples :P
    Quote from Adon

Quote from ecutruin

Quote from Adon

Right and you seem to keep ignoring the post he made AFTER that fact that says "I meant no plans for duels before the PvP patch. It'll depend on if we can get custom matches implemented then."

Except, in the post I quoted he wasn't talking about duels...he was talking about custom PvP games. The duels reference was referring to open~world duels being added before the PvP patch, it had nothing to do with if they implement custom PvP games or not. You failed to read in context it seems.

Quote from Adon

Right because we are asking oh so much. By the way, show me your statistics that say I am the minority buddy. Oh wait...you have none...and Blizzard has none too.. ? Shit...there goes that theory. Here is another one, Diablo is NOT a co-op game. It is a SOLO player game, with co-op tacked on.

Um...do you really need an example? Look a the majority of posts here. Diablofans is one of the most popular Diablo 3 fan~sites. Seems that if you weren't the minority, more people would be agreeing with you here. Wouldn't they?

As for Diablo 3 being a solo game, seems you're wrong. Blizzard has stated themselves that the focus of Diablo 3 is co~op.
    I didn't say anything about Diablo 3, I said DIABLO. As in the series. You guys all whine "Diablo is about PvM!". Well guess what, Diablo is a solo game first, with tacked on co-op. I can play that game too.

Wrong.

You don't know anything about Diablo. Furthermore you misinterperate every blizzard quote as if thier going back on what they previously said.
    Quote from Gryzorz

Quote from Gurkburk92

Quote from Gryzorz

Oh of course, fun while getting better isn't fun, we already dismissed that claim.
    Quote from Kurast

Quote from Adon

Quote from ecutruin

Quote from Adon

Right and you seem to keep ignoring the post he made AFTER that fact that says "I meant no plans for duels before the PvP patch. It'll depend on if we can get custom matches implemented then."

Except, in the post I quoted he wasn't talking about duels...he was talking about custom PvP games. The duels reference was referring to open~world duels being added before the PvP patch, it had nothing to do with if they implement custom PvP games or not. You failed to read in context it seems.

Quote from Adon

Right because we are asking oh so much. By the way, show me your statistics that say I am the minority buddy. Oh wait...you have none...and Blizzard has none too.. ? Shit...there goes that theory. Here is another one, Diablo is NOT a co-op game. It is a SOLO player game, with co-op tacked on.

Um...do you really need an example? Look a the majority of posts here. Diablofans is one of the most popular Diablo 3 fan~sites. Seems that if you weren't the minority, more people would be agreeing with you here. Wouldn't they?

As for Diablo 3 being a solo game, seems you're wrong. Blizzard has stated themselves that the focus of Diablo 3 is co~op.
    I didn't say anything about Diablo 3, I said DIABLO. As in the series. You guys all whine "Diablo is about PvM!". Well guess what, Diablo is a solo game first, with tacked on co-op. I can play that game too.

Wrong.

You don't know anything about Diablo. Furthermore you misinterperate every blizzard quote as if thier going back on what they previously said.
    Really? Man that Bnet 1.0 was SOOOO big in Diablo 1. All of the co-op options and tools we had, it was practically built with online in mind. I mean if you played solo, then you only played 1/4 of the game.

Diablo 2, geez all of those options as well, not even hidden at all within the 2 different online modes. They were just bam right there in your face, again if you didn't use those tools and options they gave you, then well you weren't playing Diablo 2, it was a totally different game.

Listen buddy, ill give you a piece of advice, don't even tell me I don't know anything about Diablo. Clearly you are new to the series and just came from WoW, so do yourself a favor and sit down and go play D1 and D2 and then realize that only Diablo game made with co-op as main incentive is D3.
    Quote from Adon

Quote from Kurast

Quote from Adon

Quote from ecutruin

Quote from Adon

Quote from Adon

Wrong.

Really? Man that Bnet 1.0 was SOOOO big in Diablo 1. All of the co-op options and tools we had, it was practically built with online in mind. I mean if you played solo, then you only played 1/4 of the game.

Diablo 2, geez all of those options as well, not even hidden at all within the 2 different online modes. They were just bam right there in your face, again if you didn't use those tools and options they gave you, then well you weren't playing Diablo 2, it was a totally different game.

Listen buddy, ill give you a piece of advice, don't even tell me I don't know anything about Diablo. Clearly you are new to the series and just came from WoW, so do yourself a favor and sit down and go play D1 and D2 and then realize that only Diablo game made with co-op as main incentive is D3.

Funny how Jay wilson said he's always seen the Diablo series as co-op, its obviously your perception that it wasnt made with co-op as the main incentive
    Quote from Gryzorz

Quote from Gurkburk92

Quote from Gryzorz

You're obviously a casual player. Enjoy playing no longer then Normal mode.
    Quote from Shadowslains

Quote from Adon

Quote from Kurast

Quote from Adon

Quote from ecutruin

Quote from Adon

Quote from Adon

Wrong.

Funny how Jay wilson said he's always seen the Diablo series as co-op, its obviously your perception that it wasnt made with co-op as the main incentive
    Right because Jay Wilson has worked on every Diablo game right?
    Oh and tell me all about how Diablo 1-2 made the incentive for co-op? You mean that hidden battle.net button that a lot of people have no idea about?
    potato
    Quote from Drat3r

potato

+1
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

ecutruin +9000
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes